Thread: *How to Organize a Demonstration in Washington - STEP ONE *

*How to Organize a Demonstration in Washington - STEP ONE- Type of demonstration *

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post1247172

Step One: Decide on the type of demonstration.

*Ron Paul was just on Alex Jones (2/12) and said that he might want a "Grand Rally" rather than a march + rally. He will let us know soon.

Start planning at least three months ahead of your anticipated demonstration. Permits are approved within 48 hours but you can submit them up to a year or more in advance. The earlier you start, the better.

Some Types of Demonstrations:

• Vigil.
    Candelight vigils are a well-known way to remember lost lives or commemorate other kinds of victims. They are generally solemn and reflective, and intended as a way to honor a person or a group of persons. A good example is the “Take Back the Night” vigils or the events held in the wake of September 11.

• Picket Line.
    This type of demonstration consists largely of a group of people holding signs and chanting and marching outside a building or office. If you have ever seen workers on strike, you have probably witnessed a picket line. Pickets are also a popular tactic with the anti-sweatshop movement and other groups who have used protests in front of corporate retail chains as a way to hold corporations accountable for their actions.

• March.
    A march is much like a picket line—people hold signs and shout chants—except that the crowd is walking from one designated point to an agreed upon destination. Marches are usually a good idea when you are expecting a particularly large crowd, or when you want to convey a message in the selection of your route or your destination. An example of a march is any of those that occur on the National Mall in Washington, DC such as the Million Man March.

• Sit-ins and Other Types of Civil Disobedience.
    When an injustice becomes so great that people of conscience can no longer tolerate it, non-violent civil disobedience can be a crucial tactic. Pioneered by American author Henry David Thoreau and made popular by Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., non-violent civil disobedience offers a way of taking direct action without resorting to force.

Probably the most well-known type of civil disobedience is the sit-in. Typically, protesters occupy the space of a decision maker—whether a corporate executive, a university president, or an elected official—make a demand, and refuse to leave until the demand is met or negotiated. Sit-ins have also taken place in front of the retail stores of corporations.

In recent years, civil disobedience has become more creative. Sometimes protesters chain themselves together to block an intersection or lock themselves to a building’s entrance. Sometimes protesters scale down buildings to unfurl giant banners.

Important note: Civil disobedience is by definition unlawful. If you plan to organize a sit-in or similar demonstration, we encourage you to obtain legal advice in advance. We suggest the American Civil Liberties Union or the National Lawyers Guild. The National Lawyers Guild can provide suggestions on finding legal observers: www.nlg.org or 212-679-5100.

*Creative actions, skits and songs:
    It’s always a good idea to think of new ways to express your point of view. Maybe you want to have more than a protest with people chanting and shouting.

Skits and other kinds performance provide an excellent way to grab people’s interest. Write and perform a short play that explores your issue. For example, anti-sweatshop activists have organized “sweatshop fashion shows” to show people who the real fashion victims are. A song and dance performance is another fun way to attract attention and get your point across.

Quote Originally Posted by scotto2008 View Post
    Can't we come up with some new ideas that go beyond warmed-over 60s radicalism? Check out "Frozen Grand Central" where some 200 people froze in place at a designated time. People loved it, and it attracted a lot of attention. Imagine a "Freeze for Freedom" with 200,000 people! The media could not resist it.
    "Frozen Grand Central"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwMj3PJDxuo
    Last edited by hillertexas; 02-25-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by hillertexas View Post
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post1247172

Step One

Decide on the type of demonstration. When it comes to demonstrations in D.C., most people are familiar with marches: March on Washington in 1963 where Dr. Martin Luther King gave his now famous speech I Have a Dream; Poor Peoples' March on Washington in 1968 and the Million Man March in 1995. Start planning at least three months ahead of your anticipated march. Permits are approved within 48 hours but you can submit them up to a year or more in advance. The earlier you start, the better.

What about getting the microphones and podium?

Those are part of the "March" or are those something separate?

Permit wise - what's what?
    Who sets the stuff up?
    Do we need and extra permit day to set up beforehand?

Who is in charge of money for this setup?
    Become a Revolutioni.st! Support the DIRIGIBLEST CANDIDATE! And stop the Slander!

I say Driving Lobbyists out and restoring the People's voice. How could the media spin that one against us.
    Keep up the good work everyone, we all play a part; the world is watching and we are on stage!

http://www.endthefed.us/

www.dailypaul.com

http://www.prayforpaul.com/prayers.html

www.campaignforliberty.com

Quote Originally Posted by bucfish View Post
    I say Driving Lobbyists out and restoring the People's voice. How could the media spin that one against us.
    Because they think we're a vocal minority with special interests - and we don't want to let the majority speak.

And in a sense, they're right.
    The constitution was written to protect the RIGHTS of the minority - whenever a minority is created to suffer at the hands of the majority - i.e. every time legislation is proposed...

We, the minority, who feel our rights being trampled, are speaking out against the majority that WANTS our rights trampled for their own selfish benefits (free healthcare for those that need it - at the cost to everyone... Free hand outs for those unwilling to help themselves... at the cost to everyone else...)

But that's what liberty and freedom - as well as the constitution - ARE... The rights of the individual above the rights of the collective.

But you all know that >_<

Just saying that the spin will be, "Ron Paulite's don't accept a democratic defeat - they don't care about the voice of the people they claim to represent."

And then we have to assert that we don't have a republic - we have a CONSTITUTIONAL republic - where the rights of the individual are protected from the whims of the majority.

So see, that was relevant.

Our hardest task is getting this philosophy into the minds of the masses.

Without understanding this philosophy, Ron Paul DOES look like a racist nut.
    We know he isn't - because we understand his philosophies...

It's still a matter of spreading the message - but the message is that of individualism... not collectivism... and not any specific issue.

http://revolutioni.st/ivc.html
    Become a Revolutioni.st! Support the DIRIGIBLEST CANDIDATE! And stop the Slander!

bump
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

INFO on National Mall march permit....

Info from National Park Service about obtaining permits for use of the National Mall for marches, etc....

http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisit/permits.htm

Ron Paul was just on Alex Jones and said that he might want a "Grand Rally" rather than a march + rally. He will let us know soon.
    R[∃vo˩]ution

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd like to kindly take issue with the above assertion that you must understand Ron Paul's philosphy otherwise he sounds like a racist. Nothing could be further from the truth. Indeed under the two-pronged alliance of Clinton and Neocon forces in the 90s, MSM simply fell under pressure into the hands of a group infused with hate against commonsense and legal-mindedness. This is what allowed two things to happen - it allowed the most radical Islamics to gain a foothold in this country without so much as a peep from them or MSM. Sad when public television PBS is covering the catastrophic issue of our time (Steve Emerson's Jihad in America) but not MSM! And it allowed them to work OVERTIME to demonize the very people who stood in the way of their plan to watch as the Jihadists attacked America. I stood up and pleaded for them to stop the Islamic Bojinka plotters in our flight schools prior to 9/11 and I pleaded for them not to ignore the shocking reports of screening failure at Logan airport. Two hijacked planes from Logan airport caused 92% of the murders on 9/11. I pleaded in the name of my murdered friend Doug Hosier whose friendship with Shahid Butt added to my motivation to stop the plot and the negligent forces intent on assisting it. My father refused to go to the Ron Paul rally with me recently because he's heard a rumor that Ron Paul was racist. That's was suprising because in California authorities were trying to sell me on the idea that my father was a racist when I had never in my life felt that way about him. They pretended to KNOW something... Who, what, where, why had they been convinced of that?

Is this what America has come to? Every white or black person is on pins and needles afraid of being accused of being a racist or a crminal or having a racist or crminal in our family? These accusations are being used in a mean-spirited way to control us. And it has worked! They pinned us against the wall with false accusations while they allowed the most vile plotters in our flight schools to hit us hard. It's very disturtbing.

It's a painful story but one that must be told. WE must tell the truth about 9/11 and about these false accusations of racism surfacing about Ron Paul and others. We must not let the true haters and deceivers who have piled lie on top of lie defeat us. The good news is we don't have to tolerate this anymore. We can say no to their perpetuall wars, no to their constant accusations, no to their perpetual schemes and we can restore our faith in our Constitutional Republic.

<3 bump
    Strength through Knowledge

"What's one more body in the foundations of your Utopia?"
    - This has been a message by Agent CSL.

If this is going to be a Grand Rally, then we need to reserve the mall. I know on the Lincoln Memorial end, there is a perfect place for a sound stage overlooking the mall.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Calling Ron Paul an isolationist is like calling your neighbor a hermit, because he doesn't come over your property and break your windows. - Dave Hebel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://freedom4um.com/

I appreciate hilltertexas taking the bull by the horns, but something about all of those "demonstration" options makes me tired.

Can't we come up with some new ideas that go beyond warmed-over 60s radicalism? Check out "Frozen Grand Central" where some 200 people froze in place at a designated time. People loved it, and it attracted a lot of attention. Imagine a "Freeze for Freedom" with 200,000 people! The media could not resist it.

"Frozen Grand Central"
    "Ron Paul Goes to the Zoo 2012" Ver. 3.0 Now Posted in Forum!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgsMZPdDEZY

I appreciate hilltertexas taking the bull by the horns, but something about all of those "demonstration" options makes me tired.

"Frozen Grand Central"
    Haha that sounds really fun.
    Strength through Knowledge

"What's one more body in the foundations of your Utopia?"
    - This has been a message by Agent CSL.

Fun is good. Fun is contagious.

We should avoid looking like what P.J. O'Rourke called "The Perennially Indignant."
    "Ron Paul Goes to the Zoo 2012" Ver. 3.0 Now Posted in Forum!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgsMZPdDEZY

"Frozen Grand Central"
    I suggest that we flex our muscle and make a statement by slowing traffic on the Beltway around DC. Assuming that we will have dozens of passenger busses transporting demonstrators to the main event, those busses could line up, fill all lanes on the Beltway, and drive around at minimum speed for an hour or two. If practical, we could position seveal thousand Ron Paul demonstrators on the side of the road to cheer them on. No laws will be broken.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Check out "Frozen Grand Central" where some 200 people froze in place at a designated time. People loved it, and it attracted a lot of attention. Imagine a "Freeze for Freedom" with 200,000 people! The media could not resist it.

"Frozen Grand Central"

That is an amazing video. Might we do something similar... wearing Ron Paul buttons ?
    Laugh Hard, Hang Tough, Lend a Hand
    -Ramblin Randy