Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of all the Governors ~ Who is better?

Out of all the Governors ~ Who is better?

I'm thinking based off of the issues Bill Graham seems to be the closest to Ron Paul's issue platform. What do you think?

http://graham2008.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Issues.Home

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Except for the whole sanctity of marriage thing. But at least it's a state that's planning to do it and not the feds.
    We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.

Bill Graham is who I am definately leaning towards

His stance on the issues looks fairly impressive. Does he have any kind of history?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    His stance on the issues looks fairly impressive. Does he have any kind of history?
    Here is what he says, apparently he has some committee experience.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running for Governor is not a decision I came to lightly. I have been blessed to have lived in North Carolina most of my life; I was born in Concord, raised in Dunn, and now live and work in Salisbury, NC. Over the course of my life, I have watched as the government in Raleigh has made one bad decision after another resulting in an illegal alien crisis, the highest taxes in the Southeast, the lowest job growth amongst our neighbors, a congested interstate system, and more failing schools than 44 other states. The final straw for me was when Raleigh decided to raise our gas taxes during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, when North Carolinians were paying record prices at the pump. Enough was enough and I decided to take a stand for North Carolina. I knew that I would not be alone in my feelings, so I went to the airwaves, the media, and to my fellow North Carolinians and organized an effort to stop the gas tax from increasing.
    During this time, 75,000 North Carolinians joined me in calling for a stop to the increasing gas tax. WE were successful! WE forced the legislature and Governor Easley to listen to our collective voices and under the pressure that WE brought, they voted to cap the gas tax. WE saved North Carolinians Taxpayers over $150 million dollars last year, and will likely save upwards of $200 million in 2008.

It was at this time, that I discovered the power that WE taxpayers hold when WE stand together. Together, WE were able to achieve a legislative victory and cut taxes. Many of those who signed our petition and joined our rally in Raleigh, asked me to continue fighting on behalf of all North Carolinians by running for governor. It was then that I realized - people want change, however WE need a leader to take back our state government from special interests and career politicians. We need someone who truly understands what "We the People" means.

I will bring fresh conservative leadership to state government. Raleigh has lacked true leadership over the past decade and North Carolina has suffered as a result. Our next governor must be a person who is able to bring people together, just as I did on the gas tax campaign. We must work together to solve the important issues facing North Carolinians. One person cannot do this alone. WE need a leader who can bring North Carolinians together and together we can solve problems like illegal immigration, failing schools, high taxes, corruption, and a deteriorating transportation system.

Our state needs new conservative leadership and fresh ideas. I offer that chance for real change. Together, WE can make North Carolina a great place to live and work. Will you stand with me as I work to give the Governor's Mansion back to the people of North Carolina? I cannot do it alone, but WE can.

I've been looking more into Michael Munger a Duke professor with a satisfying stance on important issues.
    http://munger4ncgov.com/
    I still want to check out some of the other candidates first.

As far as Bill Graham goes, most of the issues aren't inspiring, and he doesn't really have a strong intellectual stance on any of them, so much so that I question his motivation.
    On health care, making sure everyone has insurance isn't much different than what Romney, Clinton, or Obama want.
    Also, Bill Graham is not going to end the drought, particularly by funding "nanotechnology".

Most sickening is his stance on gun control:

"Any law-abiding citizen with a clean mental health record has the right to own a gun, and any criminal with a gun goes to jail. It's that simple. "

It is not that simple, the first statement puts your second amendment right in the hands of a psychiatrist! The second statement assumes that you are guilty before you have actually committed a crime. Plus, if someone is a criminal, should he/she not be in jail anyway?

Graham seems to be more of the same old same old.

When Gary Johnson was in office in New Mexico you hardly ever heard a peep from him. I think that's the way it should be. Not interfering in our lives!

“Gary Johnson was governor of New Mexico from 1995 to 2003. As governor, he was a forceful advocate for limited government, gaining the nickname “Veto Johnson” for his record of vetoing hundreds of bills.”
    Last edited by LukeNM; 03-01-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    LukeNM

Gen. George Washington during the first American Revolution:
    "We can't guarantee victory, but we can deserve it."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Munger does look most similiar to RP. I never heard of him. Damn we need a centralized database now more than ever, to keep track of candidates that are running ignored by the MSM.

Graham was on WBT today. He sounded rather petulant to me. Doesn't strike me as a bad guy but I'm open to studying other candidates.
    Last edited by MozoVote; 02-13-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimace View Post
    I've been looking more into Michael Munger a Duke professor with a satisfying stance on important issues.
    http://munger4ncgov.com/
    I still want to check out some of the other candidates first.
    Mr. Munger spoke at the TeaParty Rally held in Durham back in Dec. and I was as impressed as one can be listening to someone that you do not know, making promises about what they 'will' do when in office. I have heard more than a stomach full of empty promises from all sorts over the years, but Mr. munger sure talked like a follower of Ron Paul and does represent the Libertarian perspective.
    As 'TheGrimace', I want to hear from more of them before deciding.
    To make a mistake is Human. To continue making that same mistake is Insanity.

Fred Smith has staunch supporters down east here.

I don't like him much though.

I sorry to say that I've not heard of several of the candidates spoken about in this thread. Thanks for the enlightenment. I had been wondering who else was running other than Dole or Smith.
    "I fear that the liberties of our country will be buried in the tomb of a great nation."~CSA General Lee

~Jesus wears a wrist band that says "What Would Ron Paul Do?"~

I was push-polled by the Fred Smith campaign.. I went and looked into his positions and he's not getting my vote.

McCrory is also making a run for it.. but his issues are kind of focused on a few things and it's totally unclear where he stands on anything else. However, it would be nice to have a governor from West of Burlington for a change.

Munger is the exact opposite. He puts way too much info out there - "I would favor decriminalizing most drug possession, and most other victimless crimes including prostitution" and he wants to drop the drinking age to 18.. ahh.. he doesn't want to get elected in NC apparently. sigh.
    NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

McCrory is awful. He went ahead with the light rail here in Charlotte, even though the voters said no. The project was WAY over budget and now they want to expand to Mooresville. Ridership is about what it is for buses, it will lose money for years and need subsidies to keep it working. Plus, the areas along the line will be getting grants and subsidies to build high density housing....

Charlotte is a good sized city, but it ain't New York or Chicago--we are just not ready for light rail. The density isn't there. The trolly was much less offensive...

Not that this really matters, but my favorite restaurant was forced to close and decided not to reopen anywhere else because of the rail. "Bourbon St Cafe" was an awesome, local, funky excellent restaurant. I really miss it.

Munger!

Granted, I have not heard anything about the other candidates, but Munger spoke at our Teaparty celebration, and was petitioning for the LP afterwards. I'm not sure on all the details, but he is reasonably close to Dr Paul on all the issues. He also has a cool story about his hair and everyone should at least check him out before you decide who to vote for.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Take what rancher said with a grain of salt. The light rail is popular in Charlotte and 70% of the public voted last election cycle to maintain the sales tax that supports it. (I did too. Busses suck.) I've been riding the trains the last few months, and are they filled with people... standing room only during the rush hours.

As for McCrory though - I can't see him winning much favor in the small towns. He is too "GQ" for most of North Carolina.
    Last edited by MozoVote; 02-18-2008 at 08:51 PM.

no mayor of Charlotte has ever won the governership

Quote Originally Posted by LukeNM View Post
    When Gary Johnson was in office in New Mexico you hardly ever hear a peep from him. I think that's the way it should be. Not interfering in our lives!

“Gary Johnson was governor of New Mexico from 1995 to 2003. As governor, he was a forceful advocate for limited government, gaining the nickname “Veto Johnson” for his record of vetoing hundreds of bills.”
    Seconded

Governor

I will most likely vote for Munger, despite the hair. Will he be on the ballot, though? I know there've been some issues with the Libertarian Party getting ballot access in NC, so I'm wondering if he needs donations or petition signatures to ensure he's on the ballot?

Sarah Palin because she's totally hot.
    "For when our kids go off to battle, no one dare oppose the action, for that is seen as opposing them. The blood of our nation's youth, all too often, is spilt as if it can wipe away the policy sins of the Congress and the President."
    ~ Ron Paul
    November 23, 1998

You are here.

Met Fred Smith this morning at the Stanly County/Precinct meeting. I don't care much for the guy. He gave me a copy of his book. I'll read it, but I don't think he'll be getting my vote as it stands.
    We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Post Facto View Post
    I'm thinking based off of the issues Bill Graham seems to be the closest to Ron Paul's issue platform. What do you think?

http://graham2008.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Issues.Home
    Michael Munger '08!

Quote Originally Posted by aclove View Post
    I will most likely vote for Munger, despite the hair. Will he be on the ballot, though? I know there've been some issues with the Libertarian Party getting ballot access in NC, so I'm wondering if he needs donations or petition signatures to ensure he's on the ballot?

Munger's hair is gone! He grew it out to donate to "locks of love" which is a cancer survivor organization.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cayton View Post
    Munger's hair is gone! He grew it out to donate to "locks of love" which is a cancer survivor organization.

Has he posted updated pics? LOL I liked the ones where he was in the process of getting it cut.

I'm leaning toward Fred Smith but considering Munger.

There was a governor's candidate debate at the Mecklenburg GOP convention today. My impressions overall are:

Fred Smith - the most classical "politician" of the group. He mentioned his 100-county Barbeque tour two or three times, and sat with a chiseled TV smile through the debate while it wasn't his turn to speak. He took some of the other candidates to task for making unachievable promises... Obviously he's working hard to get the nomination, but I wasn't too wow'd by him.

Bob Orr - he seems like a geniunely nice guy with clean principles, but I have my doubts that he has the fire and gravatis to take on the Legislature.

Bill Graham - My opinion improved of him a little. He seems to grasp the root causes of problems and he could correct the others on a few things. Still, I feel like he may be something of an impatient hothead, and his background seems thin for statewide office.

That leaves McCrory. My opinion of him also improved a little. He has been in an executive position (mayor) for a long time, facing a Democratic city council and I think that he could make the easiest transition of the 4 to governor. He's not a strong conservative though, and I have doubts how well he'll sell "out east" in the state.

I guess my mind isn't made up... it'll take more campaigning.

I just can't support Pat McCrory after the stadium fiasco. When the people say "No" and the leaders build it anyway... they just lose my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Penners View Post
    I just can't support Pat McCrory after the stadium fiasco. When the people say "No" and the leaders build it anyway... they just lose my support.

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by AlbemarleNC0003 View Post
    Met Fred Smith this morning at the Stanly County/Precinct meeting. I don't care much for the guy. He gave me a copy of his book. I'll read it, but I don't think he'll be getting my vote as it stands.
    I read Fred's book last night. He does come across differently there than he could in person. (Kinda gruff when you meet him).

He presents himself as someone that can overcome adversity and manage. I think some of the business problems that he survived, were due to over-reach and excessive ambition more than mere "circumstance" ... but to his credit he shows that he takes responsibility, and isn't a quitter. Smith will play well out east, with his farming and small town lawyer background.

You could tell in the debate, that he and McCrory do not like each other. McCrory and Graham seemed more congenial. And Bob Orr tries to "stay above it all".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast