Thread: Republican Leadership in Guam endorses McCain

Republican Leadership in Guam endorses McCain

Can't say I'm surprised. I apologize for the ignorance of my fellow Guamanians. Looks like the six delegates will be going to McCain. I'm just disgusted, especially with their reasoning.

http://www.guampdn.com/apps/pbcs.dll...EWS01/80205021

11:50 a.m. - Several of Guam’s prominent Republican politicians have endorsed Sen. John McCain in his race for the American presidency, according to an announcement by McCain’s presidential campaign.

Gov. Felix Camacho, Guam Republican Party Chairman Phil Flores, National Committeeman Eddie B. Calvo, and National Committeewoman Mary C. Torres endorsed McCain, according to the campaign release.

"John McCain is an American hero who will keep our country safe," Camacho said. "There is no other candidate who understands the national security issues for Guam and the importance of the Territory in the current realignment of U.S. military forces in the Pacific than Senator McCain. In addition, he has an exemplary record of conservative leadership that the patriotic American citizens on Guam are so very proud of."

McCain thanked his new supporters in the release.

"I am pleased to have the support of these fine leaders from Guam, and I look forward to working with them on important issues in the future,” he said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't understand this. I work in a student loan collection center- of all 3 or so people I've talked to from Guam in the almost 3 years I've been there, every single one of them complained about how vastly unpleasant it is to be a US Citizen there. It's hard to get a job, hard to make friends, etc. unless these contracts are made through the military. How in the world Guamanian Republicans could unanimously decide to support McCain is beyond me. Then again, they probably get election news through a 1984esqe filter and are falsely under the impression that Ron Paul doesn't even exist anymore?

What does this mean for the vote on Feb, 16?
    Will there be a vote?

"John McCain is an American hero who will keep our country safe," Camacho said. "There is no other candidate who understands the national security issues for Guam and the importance of the Territory in the current realignment of U.S. military forces in the Pacific than Senator McCain. In addition, he has an exemplary record of conservative leadership that the patriotic American citizens on Guam are so very proud of."
    what would guam care about realigning US forces in the Pacific,, unless the US military special interests have control of that GoP.
    Ron Paul Phone-Calls from Home - call people the campaign have on lists that might vote for Dr Paul.
    http://phone.ronpaul2012.com

Military-industrial complex.... Brought forth under the banner of "good for the local economy".

As far as I can tell there is no public voting. It will strictly be a "state" GOP convention, where the GOP leadership will choose their delegates in a caucus-like manner. There will be no statement made, so we can be safe to bet that McCain will get all the National delegates. They'll just go with whatever those at the top tell them to do.

Heh, this is typical. I was stationed there for over a year, and I heard complaints from the locals how their government is so corupt. One of their governers commited suicide for being accused of a scandal.

Oh a side note, I thought guam citizens hated being called "Guamanians" and preferred the name "Chamorro?" (Although that's the name of their official language)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Ron Paul probably would boost the Guam economy because a withdrawal from foreign countries means that more military money would be spent in US Guam.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by hawks4ronpaul; 02-13-2008 at 06:09 PM.

They are followers. Pfft.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fields View Post
    They are followers. Pfft.
    bet ya $10 Guam are prisoners in their own country. Is that country just under US occupation or what?
    Ron Paul Phone-Calls from Home - call people the campaign have on lists that might vote for Dr Paul.
    http://phone.ronpaul2012.com

Quote Originally Posted by nc4rp View Post
    bet ya $10 Guam are prisoners in their own country. Is that country just under US occupation or what?
    It's a tiny ass island SE of Seoul, Korea, and N to NE of Australia. It's a US territory. They have their own government, and everything there is pretty much Americanized.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Endorsement, not caucus results

Quote Originally Posted by chelu View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised. I apologize for the ignorance of my fellow Guamanians. Looks like the six delegates will be going to McCain. I'm just disgusted, especially with their reasoning.

http://www.guampdn.com/apps/pbcs.dll...EWS01/80205021

11:50 a.m. - Several of Guam’s prominent Republican politicians have endorsed Sen. John McCain in his race for the American presidency, according to an announcement by McCain’s presidential campaign.
    This isn't an announcement of the caucus results. It's the announcement of an endorsement by establishment types to try to influence the caucus results.

We still don't know who is getting the 6 delegates.
    Rand Paul is in the top 1% of US Senators.

They probably are a puppet country of the US and Ron Paul must definitely be blacked out in the media there. If he's blacked out here, imagine how little, if any press he gets there!? Are there any active RP meetups? I mean, how many people live on this island? Forgive my ignorance....