Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Republican nomination unlikely. Millions(11%) would vote Paul(Indepentent run)

Quote Originally Posted by mcgraw_wv View Post
    Has Ron even gotten !% of the Total population to vote for him in the primary?

How is he going to get attention in a Presedenatial NAtional Campaign with no party to support him, and absolutely no "requirement" from the parties to have him in debates...
    I'm just curious, but why are you here?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russellk30 View Post
    That is the plan. We cannot make him act otherwise. Do you know what Ron Paul wants? I think he wants to promote liberty as effectively as possible. Beyond that I don’t think any of us can accurately guess what his plans are.
    I can't say for sure what he wants. But he has said he doesn't want to be a spoiler and he won't run as a third party.
    Last edited by familydog; 02-08-2008 at 06:36 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenophage View Post
    Paul CANNOT run 3rd Party or Independent.

If he does, there is NO way he can seek the Republican nomination again, and I think he has an exceptionally good chance if he takes another shot at it in 4 years, or if his son does. Meanwhile, a 3rd Party run is doomed to failure. I'd support him if he did it, but I know he couldn't win.

The best thing to do is focus on congressional and senate victories until we get a shot at the presidency again. Try to take over the republican party locally!
    Though I agree with your argument, I do not think Ron Paul will be up for running for president in four years. I hate to say it, but he is not exactly young and sprite anymore. As far as taking over the Republican Party, are you happy with our current two party system? Do you think it promotes political Dialogue?

Last time the freedom movement “took over” the Republican Party absolutely nothing was accomplished. The Republican Party only plays lip service to satisfy the libertarian wing, but when was the last time the size of the federal government was reduced? The freedom movement within the Republican Party is what has always been doomed to failure.

You may say that a third party run is doomed to failure, but to continue to fight against the establishment within the organization of the establishment is what I see as "doomed to failure." That point is debatable. What is becoming less debatable is whether or not Ron will win the nomination this season.

Quote Originally Posted by familydog View Post
    I can't say for sure what he wants. But he has said he doesn't want to be a spoiler and he won't run as a third party.
    I doubt he would be a spoiler. He would take much of the democratic and independent vote as well. If anything, he would be a spoiler for both parties after taking the Whitehouse!

He has also said the he never completely rules anything out. Instead, he reacts to the situation as it presents itself. Once he starts to see that over 10% of the electorate already supports him, all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    No Third Party will ever win.
    Wrong. Jesse Ventura won the election for governor of Minnesota in 1998. It IS possible, and with McCain and Hillary stinking up the ballots, Ron will look really good to many people. All he needs is 34% of the vote, or less if Nader or Bloomberg runs.
    --------------------------------------------
    First step to ending the income tax: end payroll tax withholding.
    Require each American to write a check to their state and federal governments every month.

We'll deal with this topic when and if Ron loses the GOP nom.

It's impossible to discuss a 3rd party run with a die hard, starry eyed republican who can't accept emotionally or rationally the cancer killing the party he grew up with. I'm taking people here at their word (and with a TON of skepticism, and that includes when Ron Paul says it) that Ron's platform is the real core republican platform, AND that there's enough of the party there worth saving. I'll support him whatever he does, but I only support the Republicans so long as Ron is in it, and tells me to, and that's with reservations. I don't forget and forgive what Bushco has done so easily. The Republicans will have to work for years and prove they are sincere with real progress before I'll ever think of voting for another Republican other than Ron Paul. Unless they want to field someone else with his kind of voting record (good luck with that).

Ron has a shot at an Independent run. He's got fantastic odds of besting the 15% Independent requirement and getting into all of the debates. An Independent run will also appeal to those who can't get over the republican stench of Bushco coming from Washington right now. Many voters will not vote republican on principle. If it ends up McWar vs Artillery, there's no way in hell Ron can lose that race. He'll annihilate both of them.

If Ron wants to continue his message, an independent run will let him do it and gain him far more media attention than he has now. Perot damn near pulled it off. If anyone else is nominated we know damn well they are rotten and not to be trusted.

If Ron does win as an Independent he can then be gracious and go back to the Republican party if that's his choice. I somehow doubt they'll turn him away - at least, not the real conservative ones we keep hearing about so often.

For those who think independent runs don't work or are impossible - you've obviously slept through Perot, Ventura, 2500 elected Libertarians (and rising), etc. Every single election cycle the potency and popularity of non-Republican, non-Democrat politics increases. It'll happen, and you should be glad. That's the only way we will ever get true election reform in this country. We should have at least three parties so that when two of them lose their mind (see the last 16 years) the third can keep the others honest. I'd like to see five.

If Ron loses the nom, I hope he grabs Kucinich or Obama as his VP for the Independent run. It'll gain him more votes than he'll ever lose from republicans who won't vote outside the party. We don't have time for that bull$#@! false dichotomy of liberal vs conservative this time. We have REAL PROBLEMS that need to be solved RIGHT NOW. We can't afford to wait four more years. Neither can Ron, he's getting old.

his congressional seat is not a factor. it will be decided one way or another on March 4th in the Texas primary.

if Obama wins a 3rd party is a waste of time; he will win, the economy will tank and be another Carter.

but if its Hillary vs McCain then McCain could win, so an indy run is needed to stop McCain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12