Thread: Hard Currency Mutual Fund

Hard Currency Mutual Fund

A lot of people have been asking how to protect their retirement lately. For those close to retirement certain high risk strategies: gold, oil, etc. can be a bit daunting. The most conservative investment I can think of is the Merk Hard Currency fund.

http://www.merkfund.com/fund/overview/facts.html

This fund invests in short term debt of countries that it believes foster "sound monetary policy". It also holds about 8% in gold. Here are the assets:

Region Currency Percent
    Europe Euro 39.4%
    Swiss Franc 15.3%
    Norwegian Krone 4.9%
    British Pound 4.2%
    Swedish Krona 3.6%
    North America Canadian Dollar 17.2%
    US Dollar, net* 0.1%
    Gold Gold * 8.1%
    Australasia Australian Dollar 6.2%
    New Zealand Dollar 0.9%

Thier fund has outperformed the inverse USDX fund and I particularly like some of their allocations, especially Swiss Francs, Aussie Dollars, and gold.

For someone that wants a low risk way to protect against dollar depreciation while recieving current income this is probably the way to go.

It trades under the ticker MERKX.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    yeah, they have been mentioned here a few times.
    I own some and like it.

I found them because they wrote about Ron Paul.
    http://www.merkfund.com/merk-perspec...007-04-27.html

Ron Paul Not a Myth
    Axel Merk, Apr 27th 2007

We published an analysis on “Dollar Myths” in which we criticized spending habits in Washington:

"Interestingly, nobody seemed to focus on the fact that there is an unconventional solution to foreigners holding too much of our debt: live within your means and do not issue debt. Such an old fashioned concept would indeed strengthen the dollar. Unfortunately, none of the presidential candidates at either side of the aisle seem to have heard of this notion."

Merk Insights provide the Merk Perspective on currencies, global imbalances, the trade deficit, the socio-economic impact of the U.S. administration's policies and more.

Don't miss an Insight:

The Archive:
    Read past Merk Insights

We missed that there is indeed a presidential candidate who believes in the old fashioned view to “live within your means.” Our apologies go to Congressman Ron Paul, who threw his hat in the ring on March 12, 2007, announcing his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination. Ron Paul is the one member of Congress who is a true fiscal conservative. As a member of the House Committee of Financial Services, he does not hesitate to speak out against inflationary policies. On his campaign website, Ron Paul 2008, he writes:

“Real conservatives have always supported low taxes and low spending.

But today, too many politicians and lobbyists are spending America into ruin. We are nine trillion dollars in debt as a nation… If we don’t cut spending now, higher taxes and economic disaster will be in their future – and yours.

In addition, the Federal Reserve, our central bank, fosters runaway debt by increasing the money supply – making each dollar in your pocket worth less.”

It is not our role to endorse a presidential candidate, especially not this early in the process. We don’t agree with all of his views, but highly respect his no-nonsense approach to fiscal and monetary policy issues. We encourage everyone to familiarize themselves with the fiscal views of Congressman Ron Paul. He is living proof that it is possible to be a fiscally conservative politician with integrity.

If you have not read our analysis on “Dollar Myths”, please do so by clicking here. We manage the Merk Hard Currency Fund, a fund that seeks to profit from a potential decline in the dollar. To learn more about the Fund, or to subscribe to our free newsletter, please visit www.merkfund.com.

Axel Merk
    Manager of the Merk Hard Currency Fund, www.merkfund.com.

Ron Paul Not a Myth
    Axel Merk, Apr 27th 2007

We published an analysis on “Dollar Myths” in which we criticized spending habits in Washington:

"Interestingly, nobody seemed to focus on the fact that there is an unconventional solution to foreigners holding too much of our debt: live within your means and do not issue debt. Such an old fashioned concept would indeed strengthen the dollar. Unfortunately, none of the presidential candidates at either side of the aisle seem to have heard of this notion."

Merk Insights provide the Merk Perspective on currencies, global imbalances, the trade deficit, the socio-economic impact of the U.S. administration's policies and more.

Don't miss an Insight:

The Archive:
    Read past Merk Insights

We missed that there is indeed a presidential candidate who believes in the old fashioned view to “live within your means.” Our apologies go to Congressman Ron Paul, who threw his hat in the ring on March 12, 2007, announcing his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination. Ron Paul is the one member of Congress who is a true fiscal conservative. As a member of the House Committee of Financial Services, he does not hesitate to speak out against inflationary policies. On his campaign website, Ron Paul 2008, he writes:

“Real conservatives have always supported low taxes and low spending.

But today, too many politicians and lobbyists are spending America into ruin. We are nine trillion dollars in debt as a nation… If we don’t cut spending now, higher taxes and economic disaster will be in their future – and yours.

In addition, the Federal Reserve, our central bank, fosters runaway debt by increasing the money supply – making each dollar in your pocket worth less.”

It is not our role to endorse a presidential candidate, especially not this early in the process. We don’t agree with all of his views, but highly respect his no-nonsense approach to fiscal and monetary policy issues. We encourage everyone to familiarize themselves with the fiscal views of Congressman Ron Paul. He is living proof that it is possible to be a fiscally conservative politician with integrity.

If you have not read our analysis on “Dollar Myths”, please do so by clicking here. We manage the Merk Hard Currency Fund, a fund that seeks to profit from a potential decline in the dollar. To learn more about the Fund, or to subscribe to our free newsletter, please visit www.merkfund.com.

Axel Merk
    Manager of the Merk Hard Currency Fund, www.merkfund.com.

Thank you for this info. I did not know there's a currency etf.

Quote Originally Posted by davver View Post
    For those close to retirement certain high risk strategies: gold, oil, etc. can be a bit daunting. The most conservative investment I can think of is the Merk Hard Currency fund.
    Gold is not 'high risk' as it is the risk-free rate. In addition, this fund is subject to counter-party risk. If you want the standard for safe and conservative then only physical bullion in allocated storage meets that.

As we have now entered the Kondratieff Winter I'm not sure Now is the time to remove layers (national currencies, ETFs, brokerage house, etc.) of counter-party risk between purchasing power and yourself. Why take the risk with this fund when there are much less risky alternatives available?

You're paying big mutual fund fees if you do. Just buy SLV, GLD, and USO. Silver, gold, and oil.

will assets be 'safe' in the brokerage account? i mean, there's bank runs for banks. For brokerage account...?
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by misa View Post
    will assets be 'safe' in the brokerage account? i mean, there's bank runs for banks. For brokerage account...?
    No, why do you think there is SPIC insurance? ETrade gave everyone a good scare ... or should have

This is seriously the time to remove counter-party risk between you and your purchasing power. I'm not sure how much more time there is before we start facing massive bank failures from massively large banks and currency controls. Look what they Exxon just did to Venezuela. OTC derivative induced failures will be domino effect.

Quote Originally Posted by jonahtrainer View Post
    No, why do you think there is SPIC insurance? ETrade gave everyone a good scare ... or should have

This is seriously the time to remove counter-party risk between you and your purchasing power. I'm not sure how much more time there is before we start facing massive bank failures from massively large banks and currency controls. Look what they Exxon just did to Venezuela. OTC derivative induced failures will be domino effect.
    so that means, cash out of IRAs also? and eat the penalty, tax, etc?

I know what happened with E-trade, but Venezuela and Exxon? what happened there? thanks.
    Last edited by misa; 02-08-2008 at 04:43 AM.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gold isn't used as currency today. As such its price movements can be very wild. I own gold, but I'm also very young. If we are wrong and the Day of Reckoning doesn't come and my gold loses 2/3 of its value I'll live. If your near retirement and you lose 2/3 of your assets that is a problem.

Gold isn't used as currency today. As such its price movements can be very wild. I own gold, but I'm also very young. If we are wrong and the Day of Reckoning doesn't come and my gold loses 2/3 of its value I'll live. If your near retirement and you lose 2/3 of your assets that is a problem.
    Right.

Although markets self-correct excesses in the long run, "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."

Gold is used as a currency today and is the most powerful currency of them all.

Because gold is the 'risk-free rate' the perceived fluctuations are really the fluctuating of the fiat currencies you hold. The fluctuations are a result of their payment risk. It is their value that is constantly changing. Despite what everyone in the financial world seems to think, the earth (US$) revolves around the sun (gold).

Gold can't lose 2/3rd of its value because it has intrinsic value. The only way 1oz of gold can lose 2/3rds of its value is if the 1oz becomes 1/3rd of an ounce.

Why anyone uses anything besides gold to measure value is beyond me and I think is very foolish financially. Do you calculate the value of your wages, automobiles, house, pizzas, etc. in terms of gold? If not then why? Gold is the ultimate form of payment and the only risk-free rate.

Yes, sometimes one wants to have capital allocated into gold but sometimes allocated to other areas.