Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romney offered us a deal also plus WV vote tallies

Romney offered us a deal also plus WV vote tallies

Huckabee people first approached us with a deal, Romney people countered, we felt that strategically it was better to vote Huckabee, we trusted the Huckabee people a little bit more to honor their word, and thus our delegates voted for Huckabee. My understanding is three of their delegates will resign, their delegation will then vote for replacement delegates, and those will be dedicated Paul supporters.

1st Round voting:

375 Huckabee
    176 McCain
    118 Paul
    464 Romney

1133 Total 1st round votes

2nd Round voting:

567 Huckabee
    12 McCain
    521 Romney

1100 Total 2nd round votes
    We are the Sons Of Liberty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Liberty. Welcome to the Revolution.

“We have allowed our nation to be over-taxed, and over-regulated, and over-run by bureaucrats. The founders would be ashamed of us for what we are putting up with.”
    Presidential Candidate Ron Paul. Ames, Iowa Straw Poll Speech 2007

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Make fun, buddy..
    --- Ron Paul ----

Thanks for all your hard work in West Virginia! This was the best outcome we could have hoped for!

This thread pains me to no end! This was a simple knock out Romney and Huck gets the delegates which will vote for the worst of them all McCain in the end.

Please explain this for the feeble minded such as myself. Was Huckabee given Paul delegates? Why? What happens if Huckabee drops out?

Ouch! Not to Monday morning quarterback...

but don't you think a deal with Romney made more sense?

1) We need Romney to take as many delegates as possible to keep McCain from running away with the nomination. (Remember one of our goals is a brokered convention.)

2) We had a chance to seal the deal without Huckabee or McCain. In other words, Ron Paul is the power broker and the other guys are frozen out completely.

I'm sorry, but I think I would need to hear more than that you trusted the Huckabee people a little more. This wouldn't have to do with the Mormon/Bad Evangelical/Good prejudice would it? Shame on you if that was the reason. (And, yes, I confess to being a Mormon, but, no, this has nothing to do with helping Romney for his own sake.)

Anyway, I know its hard to think on your feet in these situations, but we'd better be prepared for all scenarios if this does get to a brokered convention.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.C. S. Lewis

Great Job Hurricane and everyone else in WV. I remember in the summer when RP wasn't even polling 1% in WV and now we have 18% of the delegates. That is the result of hardwork, good job.

-_Dustan

Quote Originally Posted by spacehabitats View Post
    but don't you think a deal with Romney made more sense?

1) We need Romney to take as many delegates as possible to keep McCain from running away with the nomination. (Remember one of our goals is a brokered convention.)

2) We had a chance to seal the deal without Huckabee or McCain. In other words, Ron Paul is the power broker and the other guys are frozen out completely.

I'm sorry, but I think I would need to hear more than that you trusted the Huckabee people a little more. This wouldn't have to do with the Mormon/Bad Evangelical/Good prejudice would it? Shame on you if that was the reason. (And, yes, I confess to being a Mormon, but, no, this has nothing to do with helping Romney for his own sake.)

Anyway, I know its hard to think on your feet in these situations, but we'd better be prepared for all scenarios if this does get to a brokered convention.
    I think the main reason was to get delegates, but in the long run will backfire by Huck backing McCain. I think the intentions were good, but we did'nt see the bigger picture. JMHO

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did the Romney camp. also offer 3 delegates?
    "Reason obeys itself; Ignorance submits to what is dictated to it"
    Thomas Paine

"Most people think that freedom, is not being in jail"
    G. Edward Griffin

"I have No Agenda, just hookers and blow, in the morning"
    C. Shaw

I just hope this deal is honored. My gut says none of Paul's opponents would actually give up a single delegate.

We had three Huckabee National Convention delegates let us know in person that they would step down. We had no such personal contact from the Romney people and so we had some doubts that any of their delegates would volunteer to step down once Romney won. It was a very tough decision for the Ron Paul supporters. Speeches were made, rationals listed, and in the end, it was a unanimous vote by all the Ron Paul delegates at our meeting room.

Also, if we backed Romney, and we did know McCain voters were going to Huckabee, it would have been an extremely close vote and Romney would not have been guaranteed a victory if a few of their votes switched to someone else. If Romney lost slightly and we backed him, we would gain nothing. Had absolutely nothing to do with being a Mormom or trust because of evangelicals.
    We are the Sons Of Liberty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Liberty. Welcome to the Revolution.

“We have allowed our nation to be over-taxed, and over-regulated, and over-run by bureaucrats. The founders would be ashamed of us for what we are putting up with.”

Quote Originally Posted by RlxdN10sity View Post
    Did the Romney camp. also offer 3 delegates?
    Yes I believe so.

Fair enough. Let's hope the Huck camp honors the deal.

Oh, and BTW Hurricane Bruiser, awesome job. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nimo View Post
    I think the main reason was to get delegates, but in the long run will backfire by Huck backing McCain. I think the intentions were good, but we did'nt see the bigger picture. JMHO
    Perhaps. Time will tell.

But I think Romney will drop out today if things don't go well for him. Huckabee will stay in it regardless. Huckabee has motivations other than winning the nomination.
    NEW Anti-Huckabee Wiki: http://www.opposeHuckabee.com/ - help out!

Ron Paul Donations Firefox Extension: http://ok4ronpaul.ashlux.com/wiki/in...efox_Extension

[QUOTE]we trusted the Huckabee people a little bit more to honor their word, and thus our delegates voted for Huckabee.[/QUOTE

any logic to back that?....

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Bruiser View Post
    Also, if we backed Romney, and we did know McCain voters were going to Huckabee, it would have been an extremely close vote and Romney would not have been guaranteed a victory if a few of their votes switched to someone else. If Romney lost slightly and we backed him, we would gain nothing. Had absolutely nothing to do with being a Mormom or trust because of evangelicals.
    Don't see it, can you explain the math here? And Huckabee is going for the vice presidency, with this vote we are giving away the election to McCain and a VP spot to Huckabee. Well done!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by austinchick View Post
    Make fun, buddy..
    --- Ron Paul ----
    Rommel got SCREWED.

"One thing at a time, is my motto - and just play that thing for all it is worth, even if it's only two pair and a jack."
    Mark Twain

# of "undesireables" exterminated by Nazi Germany: 11,000,000. / # of Soviet citizens purged by Stalin: 40-60,000,000. / # of Chinese killed in Mao Tse-Dong's Revolutions: 70-80,000,000. / Living in Freedom: Priceless.

R[ƎVO˩]UTION!

This was a good move. By denying Romney these delegates, it further distributes the delegates amongst the 4 remaining and will help ensure that no candidate has 50% come convention.

Huckabee is more trustworthy ... but I'd think killing Huckabee might help Paul. lets hope they made the right choice.

This was a great deal.
    A huck victory keeps everyone even.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Also means Romney wasted more of his money.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Bruiser View Post
    Huckabee people first approached us with a deal, Romney people countered, we felt that strategically it was better to vote Huckabee, we trusted the Huckabee people a little bit more to honor their word, and thus our delegates voted for Huckabee.
    And we trust the local activists to have made the right decision. Congrats on the delegates and THANKS!
    My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

When is MSM going to get up to speed on this???Its Huckabee winner takes all still and the booths are about to close.
    The world does not consist of a throng of geniuses. WilliamBanzai7

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley in DC View Post
    And we trust the local activists to have made the right decision. Congrats on the delegates and THANKS!
    and this is why we should all say great job WV

h ttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080205/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_west_virginia_3
    Sorry if this has been brought up.
    "If anything is worth doing, it's worth doing right." - H.S.T. - R.I.P. -
    Do your own research...

[QUOTE=american empire;1185776]
    we trusted the Huckabee people a little bit more to honor their word, and thus our delegates voted for Huckabee.[/QUOTE

any logic to back that?....
    Yeah, the shenanigans in the Nevada caucuses and the Florida straw poll.

I think you guys made the right move for a few reasons, first McCain doesn't get the delegates. He is closest to running away with the nomination, therefore, the most important to keep from getting the delegates.

Second, it hurts Romney, who has the second most delegates, but is more likely to drop out than McCain. Romney backers are largely anti-McCain, so his dropping out opens up a lot of potential delegates to fight for with Huckabee.

Finally, I would not assume that Huckabee is going to be McCain's VP. While they have been friendly, their friendship is centered around their mutual hatred of Romney. McCain's weak points with conservatives are taxes and immigration, Huckabee does not help him with either of those. McCain already has a pretty good social conservative record. If Huckabee does drop out, I don't necessarily see his supporters going to McCain automatically either.

Bottom line, we turned 118 votes or whatever we had in the first round, into 3 national delegates. Great Job guys!

[QUOTE=JeffSchulman;1186714]
    Quote Originally Posted by american empire View Post

Yeah, the shenanigans in the Nevada caucuses and the Florida straw poll.
    Don't forget Romney sewing up Wyoming, and the "family" slate in Louisiana.

I think Huck is slimy, but agree he's marginally more trustworthy than Romney.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul/Belichick08 View Post
    I McCain already has a pretty good social conservative record.
    He does?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast