Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Romney offered us a deal also plus WV vote tallies

Huckabee's people are now denying ever pledging 3 delegates to Ron Paul.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Bruiser View Post
    We had three Huckabee National Convention delegates let us know in person that they would step down. We had no such personal contact from the Romney people and so we had some doubts that any of their delegates would volunteer to step down once Romney won. It was a very tough decision for the Ron Paul supporters. Speeches were made, rationals listed, and in the end, it was a unanimous vote by all the Ron Paul delegates at our meeting room.

Also, if we backed Romney, and we did know McCain voters were going to Huckabee, it would have been an extremely close vote and Romney would not have been guaranteed a victory if a few of their votes switched to someone else. If Romney lost slightly and we backed him, we would gain nothing. Had absolutely nothing to do with being a Mormom or trust because of evangelicals.

Thanks for what you did! I know that you made the best decision with the information you had, and short of a Ron Paul win, this is better than we could have hoped for.

I think it's good to give Huck the delegates. Splitting the delegates 4 ways gets us a brokered convention.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think so, he has been very consistently pro-life, if not as hardcore as some people. I know Santorum has claimed he didn't lead on social issues, but I don't think that is a huge problem for conservatives. Huckabee has many of the same weaknesses as McCain, so he would be of little help in winning over the Limbaugh/Hannity/Coulter crowd. If anything Huckabee's religious fervor might even cost him some independent/Democrat votes.

Quote Originally Posted by JulioForPaul View Post
    I say give it a day or two. It may take the Huckabee campaign some time to sort out what happened. There is a lot going on tonight.

If they do back out on their promise, it's a long term stupid move. RP delegates will remember this and will not "king make" him elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JulioForPaul View Post
    Where are you finding this information?
    We are the Sons Of Liberty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Liberty. Welcome to the Revolution.

“We have allowed our nation to be over-taxed, and over-regulated, and over-run by bureaucrats. The founders would be ashamed of us for what we are putting up with.”
    Presidential Candidate Ron Paul. Ames, Iowa Straw Poll Speech 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Bruiser View Post
    Where are you finding this information?
    Posted elsewhere on the boards...has people up in arms...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080205/..._west_virginia

I would have liked to seen more delegates pledged to the Paul camp, but 3 is better than 0, which is what we would have ended up with if Ron's delegates left after the first round of voting.

There were plenty of witnesses around when the deal was made, so if Huckabee's people try to back out later, this could be used as ammo against his campaign.

Don't forget that 9 more delegates will be up for grabs in May, when there is a statewide primary, in which all registered GOP and Independents can vote.
    Expressly Reserving All Liberties
    Grassroots Volunteer: RWVA

The convention was a success for the Revolution.

We did not get past the first round over one issue, and it really wasn't the war. It was electability.

We spoke to hundreds of delegates, many of whom would quietly say they liked him and believed in his policies, but they dont' think he can win.

Over and over again, he can't win. He can't win.

Ron Paul's speech was amazing, and Pendragon gave one of the best introductions I have ever heard.

We received more votes than we had committed delegates, and 3 of the 4 candidates gave speeches here.

I have no idea how 170 people could have voted for Mccain the way the former Louisana governor insulted WV. His opening line ripped on Charleston, the city of the convention, and then proceeded to insult the WVU football team.

That's almost as bad as calling us 'Virginia' or playing dueling banjos. You just don't do it.

Huckabee became the better choice in the end, they had 2 people that weren't going to be able to go to MN anyway, and they came up with a third. Huck's delegation was much like ours, just grassroots people. Romney's delegates consisted of party insiders, exectuive committee chairs, and nothing against them, but they didn't seem like the type of people just to step down.

And we figured Huckabee delegates would be easier to win over than Romney delegates if Huck dropped out before the convention.

The campaign staff had nothing to do with the decision, they told us the offers and let the delegates decide what to do.
    Elkview, WV

Interesting

It's interesting to go back and read a lot of the predictions and praise and anger over the deal in WV now, so long after the fact My "place" in this entire process has been questioned lately, but here it is... the concrete reminder that I was part of something.

What it came down to for some was making a strategic move. I'm sorry, but if Paul's people had helped Romney get the state, we would not have seen a single delegate. The person who came over from the Romney camp immediately set about bad-mouthing Huck's people and the entire concept of a grassroots campaign. They did not have people willing to resign; the premise was that the Romney people would go about asking thier people to resign once they'd won the state. If they don't want to resign, Romney could have simply said "Well, I can't MAKE them resign".

Lest it be forgotten... the leverage was only there because the Paul group was nearly as large as McCain's! We had a great showing, especially in several counties including my own People worked very hard, and thank you especially to the kind people who opened their homes to us poor and starving delegates from throughout the state! It was a great effort, and I am honored eternally to have been a part of it.

Now we are into our next round of voting. I hope sincerely that the Ron Paul supporters out there remember the obligation is not over until their votes are cast again this go-round. Early voting has begun, and voting will continue into May. Please make sure you get out there and cast your ballots so we can keep shining on the national stage. I'm proud to live in WV and I want this to be a state that stands for the same values Dr. Paul so passionately espouses

Cheers, and see you at the polls!

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12