Thread: sniper rifle vs automatic rifle

sniper rifle vs automatic rifle

I wonder if there are any advantages of an automatic rifle over a sniper rifle.

A sniper rifle can be used for hunting, requires much less ammunition, and seems more suitable to be used defensively.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Depends on the situation.

I would personally choose to have a automatic, as most are good to at least 300yds... good enough for hunting. Plus you have the fire rate for a SHTF scenario

Sniper rifles are very nice, but wouldn't be my first pick in my "Go bag"

A selective fire weapon doesn't necessarily "require" more ammunition, it just gives you the option of a high rate of fire. What you need depends on the situation. A bolt action sniper rifle would suck for close quarters combat, especially against multiple assailants.
    "I am attacking an idea which I believe to be false; a system which appears to me to be unjust; an injustice so independent of personal intentions that each of us profits from it without wishing to do so, and suffers from it without knowing the cause of our suffering." - Frédéric Bastiat

You have to try them out. There are several places to try out automatic weapons.

Once you had a few classes, then will you know which one is best for your needs.

Or you could always go with a weapon which is capable of rapid fire semiauto and accurate enough for sniper work. There are a number of springfield M1A variants which are more than adequate. A good national match M1A is a very hard weapon to beat in all around versatility for someone who intends to do more long work than short, and a short barrel socom or scout sniper M1A allows for a smaller footprint while still allowing accuracy for the long shot. And the .308 or 7.62x51 is a tough round to beat for impact. Its probably good for everything in North America short of a Grizzly, and might even take one of those with a properly placed shot.
    Last edited by Malum Prohibitum; 02-05-2008 at 10:36 AM.

I feel like I'm on a video game forum.
    Patrick Krott
    for Alternate Delegate
    CD3 Pennsylvania

PKrott@gmail.com

the TRUE CONSERVATIVE flyers: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=116729

Real snipers carry both. The right tool for the right job. Besides the rifle is only as good as the rifleman.

Quote Originally Posted by krott5333 View Post
    I feel like I'm on a video game forum.
    this is my personal choice

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by loupeznik View Post
    Real snipers carry both. The right tool for the right job. Besides the rifle is only as good as the rifleman.
    I hear Tennessee is known for their riflemen. We got good sharp shooters in LA too.
    My father sights in rifles for our local community.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Prohibitum View Post
    Or you could always go with a weapon which is capable of rapid fire semiauto and accurate enough for sniper work. There are a number of springfield M1A variants which are more than adequate. A good national match M1A is a very hard weapon to beat in all around versatility for someone who intends to do more long work than short, and a short barrel socom or scout sniper M1A allows for a smaller footprint while still allowing accuracy for the long shot. And the .308 or 7.62x51 is a tough round to beat for impact. Its probably good for everything in North America short of a Grizzly, and might even take one of those with a properly placed shot.

agreed! love my M1A1

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Corey View Post

A sniper rifle can be used for hunting, requires much less ammunition, and seems more suitable to be used defensively.
    one advantage of a sniper rifle over an automatic is the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Corey View Post

There are some good custom built semis that can be used for both. I believe River Rock makes a AR for varmint hunting that is pretty kick ass from what I have read.
    See thru mounts would be the way to go for the compromise to get the best of both worlds. But don't skimp on your scope though for it would have to be quality built to handle extreme conditions. I would guess for a set up like the above your looking at no less than 4 or 5 grand with a night vision scope. But I do want to say,do not skimp on your scope or your gun as a sniper rifle will be useless pretty much.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Prohibitum View Post
    Easily the best advice in this thread.

what's really interesting about this thread is this only slightly salient fact...

There are NO SNIPER RIFLES, there are only Snipers.

Just like buying a set of Emeril Lagasse Pans doesn't make you a master chef. (crude example, but what are you going to do.)

"sniper" is an over-used term much favored by gun grabbers... so maybe let's not feed into that?!?

if you mean "rifle that's accurate over distance," than maybe 'hunting rifle,' or 'rifle,' or something of that nature could apply...

Just don't feed into the media hysteria is all, folks... seems reasonable, right? thanks.