Thread: What type of qualifications does it take to run for congress?

What type of qualifications does it take to run for congress?

Im just curious as to what the pre-requisites are to run for congress in the U.S.A.

What exactly is the standard?

Please help out a curious canadian

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

electability...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    View all the latest Ron Paul videos, including endorsements, media appearances, music videos, 2012 promos, campaign ads and more.
    I am the creator of RonPaulFLIX.com & RonPaulPOSTS.com, and the GOTV site RonPaulVolunteer.com, and co-creator of the Blue Republican movement
    Stop dreaming of what YOU can do - just do it

1. You are 25
    2. You have been a US citizen for 7 years
    3. You live in the state your district is in

those are the only requirements, per the constitution.

the standard? lawyers who love special interest money and screwing citizens.
    goal? people with ron paul's platform, and that follow the constitution

Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    I think you need to be 25 years old for congress and a u.s. citizen (not necessary u.s. born). wikipedia is your friend though
    so other than that, pretty much anything goes as long as you can GOTV?

Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution sets forth three qualifications for representatives: each representative must be at least twenty-five years old, must have been a citizen of the United States for the past seven years, and must be (at the time of the election) an inhabitant of the state they represent. The Constitution does not require Members to live in the districts which they represent, though many state laws require this for their own representatives

Quote Originally Posted by cien750hp View Post
    1. You are 25
    2. You have been a US citizen for 7 years
    3. You live in the state your district is in

those are the only requirements, per the constitution.

the standard? lawyers who love special interest money and screwing citizens.
    goal? people with ron paul's platform, and that follow the constitution
    you don't have to live in the district, only the state

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    interesting, so as a 22 year old canadian businessman, if i moved to america and became a citizen for 7 years, i could run?

That's pretty badass! If you're economy wasnt on the rocks i'd be considering this very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    That's pretty badass! If you're economy wasnt on the rocks i'd be considering this very hard.
    Yeah, but you can buy stuff super cheap here now with the value of the Canadian dollar! America is the new Tijuana, didn't you hear. All we need is some vendors with cheap blankets, cheap liquor, fireworks and chess sets!

Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    Yeah, but you can buy stuff super cheap here now with the value of the Canadian dollar! America is the new Tijuana, didn't you hear. All we need is some vendors with cheap blankets, cheap liquor, fireworks and chess sets!
    Cornerstores, and Walmart has you covered for most of that!

Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    interesting, so as a 22 year old canadian businessman, if i moved to america and became a citizen for 7 years, i could run?

Yeah, but unless you marry an American, you have to wait 5 years after you get your Green Card (Permanent Residency) before you can apply for citizenship. If you marry an American, it's a 3 year wait. So if you got a green card in, say, 6 months, you'd be close to 28 before you could apply for citizenship. Then, you'd have to wait another 7 years after that.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSchulman View Post
    Yeah, but unless you marry an American, you have to wait 5 years after you get your Green Card (Permanent Residency) before you can apply for citizenship. If you marry an American, it's a 3 year wait. So if you got a green card in, say, 6 months, you'd be close to 28 before you could apply for citizenship. Then, you'd have to wait another 7 years after that.
    ohhhhhh ok, that's makes sense, thanks for clearing that up for me

Nvm
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

Electibility is the key, too. You have to get known by a lot of people who would trust you. I would spend a year at Chamber of Commerce, GOP or Dem committee meetings, church, and all else you can think of to get noticed and liked by a lot of "bigwigs".

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I got a valentines day fundraiser for Libery Congressional candidate @ http://www.LibertyWarChest.com

I hope to running for congress in 2010 and 2012, help me build up my national base @ http://www.mercedforfreedom.com
    Alex Merced - A Champion of Freedom
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

HAYEKFORUMS.COM
    - Economics and Philosophy Discussion and Debate

ALEXMERCEDFORUMS.COM
    - Libertarian Community and Discussion

Donate to Help Alex Merced promote Liberty Full Time

FACEBOOK PAGES YOU SHOULD LIKE

you also have to pay like 1% of the annual salary as filing fees for that position....so I think Congressman is like 1600 dollars in a filing fee etc, where as a STATE rep fees may only be like 200 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    America is the new Tijuana, didn't you hear. All we need is some vendors with cheap blankets, cheap liquor, fireworks and chess sets!
    South Carolina is the new Tijuana? Weird.

~X~

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSchulman View Post
    our immigration and naturalization laws are rediculously complex and the wait is stupid long.

illegal immigration needs to be much more difficult, and legal immigration needs to be much easier...

that being said, i'm also considering a run in 2010

is it an expensive thing to do?? do u need certain education to do it?? silly question is it common to see women in congress?? im a registered nurse....ive really been contemplating about this idea
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.-- Thomas Jefferson

I was thinking about it. My background in the military would do well for me here in florida. As soon as the old people see the whole Iraq war vet, etc. However, the bottom line is that if you oppose the war, you probably won't be going anywhere too fast. Most people still think al queda is under their bed. The solution is just running on a small government fiscally conservative platform.

this is a good thread....people should be running for congress.....

BUMP
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.-- Thomas Jefferson

Would taking political science or history major be beneficial in college?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What if you moved to a new area, built a false persona for yourself. Attended churches, got really involved in your community, the GOP, etc.

Then, after you're mister popularity, you make your move.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulitical Correctness View Post
    What if you moved to a new area, built a false persona for yourself. Attended churches, got really involved in your community, the GOP, etc.

Then, after you're mister popularity, you make your move.
    Huck?
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Alex Merced - A Champion of Freedom
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

HAYEKFORUMS.COM
    - Economics and Philosophy Discussion and Debate

ALEXMERCEDFORUMS.COM
    - Libertarian Community and Discussion

Donate to Help Alex Merced promote Liberty Full Time

FACEBOOK PAGES YOU SHOULD LIKE