Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All of your Maine Questions answered in one thread

Quote Originally Posted by bkreigh View Post
    you have got to be $#@!ting me. Freakin Romney. What a dildo.
    He reminds me of a sleazy used car salesman!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGMike View Post
    I left my official Maine GOP tally sheet at the office but IF every city/town/plantation caucuses then there are approx 3,000 delegates at the state convention. However, only 75%-80% of towns are caucusing and those that don't caucus at all, are not awarded delegates. Those delegates decide the 21 delegates going to National. Hence we win the most state delegates we win the national delegates.
    Thanks, gives us a better perspective of where we stand as the numbers come in, somewhere between 1,200 and 1,500 is a majority for the state delegates and if we get that, we win for sure...

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He reminds me of a sleazy used car salesman!
    Eh? Give the man a little credit.

How about a sleazy used "luxury car" salesman?
    I support Ron Paul because he is worthy of support.

Correct, and I'm still waiting on word from the Northern Aroostook Caucus, where I'll be very surprised if we don't win up that way. Fellow forum Member SteveMartin is caucusing up that way and i'm sure he'll post the results when he slogs his way back from Fort Kent (a 2 1/2 hour drive for him btw just so you get an idea how big maine is (or at least "the county") area-wise
    "We hear about constitutional rights, free speech and the free press. Every time I hear these words I say to myself, That man is a Red, that man is a Communist. You never hear a real American talk like that" -- Frank "I Am The Law" Hague, Mayor of Jersey City 1917-1947

Interesting.
    Huey P. Long, "The Kingfish"
    Former Governor, Senator and leading opponent of the Big Bankers.
    Kingfish Consulting: Experience winning elections, since 1928.

This is interesting - If the straw poll has no bearing on the number of state delegates won, what does? How does a candidate win the state delegates in Maine?

I wonder what Livermore Falls votes are like. I used to live in that $#@!hole.

You win the national delegates, by having the most delegates at the state convention, simply put. I don't want to discuss strategy too much in here, but we always looked at the big picture here in the state.
    "We hear about constitutional rights, free speech and the free press. Every time I hear these words I say to myself, That man is a Red, that man is a Communist. You never hear a real American talk like that" -- Frank "I Am The Law" Hague, Mayor of Jersey City 1917-1947

A little bit of info on "The County"

# Aroostook County Population: 73,938 - US Census Bureau Data 2000
    # Population is 5.8% of the state's total population
    # Originally part of Washington and Penobscot Counties
    # Aroostook is named for an Indian word meaning "beautiful river"
    # Incorporated March 16, 1839
    # Contains 2 cities, 54 towns, 11 plantations, and 108 unorganized townships
    # Density is 11.1 persons per square mile
    # Area - 6,672 square miles (21.6% of the state's area): 89% of the County's area is forest, 1% lakes, ponds and rivers, 10% cultivated farmland
    # Houlton is the Aroostook County seat with offices in Caribou and Fort Kent
    # Maine's northernmost county bordered to the east, west and north by Canada
    # Aroostook County is larger than Connecticut and Rhode Island combined
    # Aroostook County is the largest U.S. county east of the Mississippi River.
    # Major crops: broccoli, potatoes, hay, small grain rotation crops
    # Site of two transatlantic balloon crossing launch sites
    # Aroostook County is home to the Allagash Wilderness Waterway

You win the national delegates, by having the most delegates at the state convention, simply put. I don't want to discuss strategy too much in here, but we always looked at the big picture here in the state.
    First rule of fight club

Sounds like you are doing some really good work

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    That's not true. There may be a rule that says he has to win 5 states in an unbrokered convention. But in a brokered convention anybody can win, even someone who never entered the race at all.
    http://www.gop.com/About/Rules31-41.htm

No mention of brokered or otherwise anywhere in the GOP rules. Im curious to read where it's displayed how the brokered convention even works.

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

40(b) has nothing to do with brokered / unbrokered convention.

It is a rule. Period.

You must win the majority of delegates in 5 contests to have your name placed in nomination at the convention.

There is no "brokered convention" in the rules. All that means is that no one goes to the convention with enough delegates to win the nomination, and they have to make a deal with someone else to throw their delegates in. Such deal-making is called "brokering", hence the term "brokered convention".

By the way -- I own brokeredconvention.com. May have to do something with it soon.

The way I read it:

let's say Paul failed to have the bound support of the majority of candidates from 5 states and that no nominee manages a majority of total delegates.
    When the delegates become unbound, if they support Paul, their new job is to make sure no one gets a majority and petition the chair to submit a new nominee, using the majority support of the now unbound delegates.

I could be wrong though...

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination....

(d) When at the close of a roll call any candidate for nomination for President of the United States or Vice President of the United States has received a majority of the votes entitled to be cast in the convention, the chairman of the convention shall declare that the candidate has been nominated.

(e) If no candidate shall have received such majority, the chairman of the convention shall direct the roll of the states be called again and shall repeat the calling of the roll until a candidate shall have received a majority of the votes entitled to be cast in the convention.

(f) For the 2004 Republican National Convention, notwithstanding any other provision of these rules or any Rule of the House of Representatives, it shall be in the discretion of the Chair to suspend the roll call conducted to nominate the candidate for President of the United States at any time in order to conduct other Convention business under the established order of business.

Well, here's the deal. What you are saying is theoretically correct.

But here's the problem. Even though some of these delegates could become unbound -- it is almost virtually certain that they are already pledged to someone (McCain or Romney).

They likelihood that the majorities of delegates from 5 states would shift from one of the delegate leaders to Dr. Paul -- (if he didn't go to the convention with at least enough states to have his name placed in nomination already) is 1 in a trillion.

Maine,

Thank you for the hard work. You are making my morning. Make us all proud today.

I hope we also hear some good news from Hawaii tomorrow. They will have all but two completed today. With the time lag it might be Sunday night or Monday before we hear from them.

Good Luck today! Bring one home for Dr. Paul.

"Density is 11.1 persons per square mile"

Sounds like my kind of place
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by hueylong View Post

But here's the problem. Even though some of these delegates could become unbound -- it is almost virtually certain that they are already pledged to someone (McCain or Romney).
    Huckabee is out of cash (pretty much) and the MSM put him on IGNORE. He will probably have to drop out after SuperTuesday.

Most GOP delegates are conservatives and there will not be much support for McCain once all the dirt is out on him. (An Coulter seriously stated that she would actually CAMPAIGN for Hillary if McCain was chosen. It's that bad.)

These same conservatives are NOT Mormon and likewise will most likely not support Romney very strongly.

That leaves Ron Paul in good shape, provided there is steady donations of at least 5 mil per month. (Note Barack raised 35 mil in Jan !!!)

It ain't over folks, but we MUST concentrate our efforts on convincing people that are not yet on our side. i.e. Older Republicans and women.

We MUST also totally schmooze these delegates to turn them to our side. One delegate is worth approximately 44,000 votes.

If you know ANY of them, put on all your charm, offer to babysit, bake cookies, they are gems!

I'm starting to hate this process. SuperTuesday should be for the ENTIRE country at once, preventing rich guys to get an early lead. Donations to the campaign should be limited to $2300 INCLUDING the rich guy that's running and corporations.
    Last edited by RonRules; 02-02-2008 at 09:56 AM.

anyone have anymore info on the results of your particular caucus to report as you did yesterday?

Thankyou

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The caucuses are going to take hours. We won't have results for a while. The Penobscot county caucus doesn't even start for two hours yet. Be patient everyone.
    I act as one, but I'm not alone. ~ Jimmy Eat World, "Electable"

what happens with the delegates that canidates won in states that have held there primaries and cacusees then dropped out of the race?

CG Mike, thanks so much for keeping us informed.

Yes, thank you CG Mike and all others involved in Maine for your hard work.
    "People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome."

– George Orwell

this is a trend as to what happens when ron paul competes financially and others dont. he places high. this is key, as it becomes a romney vs. paul contest in the uninteresting states(most of them)
    Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
    I am an investigative journalist for Ben Swann's Truth in Media
    Check out my liberty-friendly experimental rock/punk/metal band Look What I Did

A little bit of info on "The County"

# Aroostook County Population: 73,938 - US Census Bureau Data 2000
    # Population is 5.8% of the state's total population
    # Originally part of Washington and Penobscot Counties
    # Aroostook is named for an Indian word meaning "beautiful river"
    # Incorporated March 16, 1839
    # Contains 2 cities, 54 towns, 11 plantations, and 108 unorganized townships
    # Density is 11.1 persons per square mile
    # Area - 6,672 square miles (21.6% of the state's area): 89% of the County's area is forest, 1% lakes, ponds and rivers, 10% cultivated farmland
    # Houlton is the Aroostook County seat with offices in Caribou and Fort Kent
    # Maine's northernmost county bordered to the east, west and north by Canada
    # Aroostook County is larger than Connecticut and Rhode Island combined
    # Aroostook County is the largest U.S. county east of the Mississippi River.
    # Major crops: broccoli, potatoes, hay, small grain rotation crops
    # Site of two transatlantic balloon crossing launch sites
    # Aroostook County is home to the Allagash Wilderness Waterway
    I've been there - Loring Air Force Base specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    That's not true. There may be a rule that says he has to win 5 states in an unbrokered convention. But in a brokered convention anybody can win, even someone who never entered the race at all.
    Yeah, this was my understanding always until people here said the 5 state rule in brokered. I'm pretty sure that's not the case because there's talks about candidates who aren't even RUNNING picking up the nod in a brokered convention.

Quote Originally Posted by Misesian View Post
    Yeah, this was my understanding always until people here said the 5 state rule in brokered. I'm pretty sure that's not the case because there's talks about candidates who aren't even RUNNING picking up the nod in a brokered convention.

Yeah, I've heard people talking about everyone getting fed up at the convention and just voting in Fred Thompson to bring back a more pure conservative than either Romney or McCain. I believe this is what happened with Warren G Harding in 1920, where he wasn't a top competitor but due to some back-room dealings became a top competitor on the 7th or 8th ballot.

I don't know if the rules have changed, though. But we all know this - the rules are intentionally complex in order to make sure that the party insiders have their way. This is what I tell people as I work towards getting us a delegate out of Dane County, Wisconsin. We need to out-insider the insiders.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    so Huck wins iowa and drops out , are his delagates ?free to support any one still running for nominee?

Well, I have a question. Since you are reporting some delegates, I would assume that these caususing places ARE over now, right? I mean..no one can come in and snatch more delegates, right? If so, then great. If not, and they aren't going to be over until Monday I still feel insecure about giving out info. Those Romney people are merciless...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12