Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All of your Maine Questions answered in one thread

All of your Maine Questions answered in one thread

Wow, looks like the traffic in here has quadrupled. So to dispel some of the rumors and panic threads that have been popping up, let me throw out a few things...

Mainers are an odd sort (lets face it we're surrounded by canada and new hampshire. We go our own way and don't really listen to outside opinion (ie the other 49 states and the national media)

Little old Portland with its whopping 68,000 residents is considered "the big city" for most Mainers (it is the 2nd largest city in Northern New England) while Boston is so far south that it may as well be considered Atlanta.

The Caucuses are a bit of a convoluted process, but for Maine they work. We're not really worried about the pf/pl slates or the churchers because thats not the most important issues to Mainers (its the economy, tourism is our number one industry after all, followed by taxes, we have a high tax burden here).

The official results from the "straw poll" will be announced on Saturday night by the Cumberland County GOP, however, individual updates will come in to this site from 1st hand accounts (i'll be posting a few results later, and I'll have a report from the biggest caucus of all, Portland where I plan to be a delegate). And remember, the straw poll ISN'T the most important thing...its the # of delegates each town sends to the State Convention in Augusta!

Misinformation might be playing a role in other states, but we haven't seen it here. But if you have a question about something call one of the State offices...

Portland (Maine HQ) -- 699-2909
    L/A -- 376-7420
    Bangor -- 740-4166

And most importantly, have faith! We're working the phones here at Maine HQ! We're turning out our supporters making sure they know what they need to do when they get to their caucus location (ie BECOME DELEGATES).

Post your questions here and I'll try to answer them about Maine, the caucus process, or anything else on your mind related to the Pine Tree State.
    "We hear about constitutional rights, free speech and the free press. Every time I hear these words I say to myself, That man is a Red, that man is a Communist. You never hear a real American talk like that" -- Frank "I Am The Law" Hague, Mayor of Jersey City 1917-1947

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bump
    I act as one, but I'm not alone. ~ Jimmy Eat World, "Electable"

Question

I see that the official RP Campaign site shows that Maine's caucus is Feb 1 - 3. A three day caucus? How does that work?

THANKS!
    "In questions of powers, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."

Thomas Jefferson - The Kentucky Resolutions of 1798

Flying one's flag upside down is a maritime signal declaring that the ship is in distress. It is not an act of disrespect, but a call for peaceful, assertive action to return that for which so many gave so much.

Actually it can be a more than a 3 day caucus. Each Caucus date is left up to the individual City/Town/Plantation Muncipal GOP Chairman. The State GOP has encouraged towns to caucus this weekend to increase Maine's importance in the national picture, however any city/town/plantation can caucus on any date between January 1 and March 30. 95% of the towns are caucusing this Saturday and the straw poll results will be released to the national media that evening.
    "We hear about constitutional rights, free speech and the free press. Every time I hear these words I say to myself, That man is a Red, that man is a Communist. You never hear a real American talk like that" -- Frank "I Am The Law" Hague, Mayor of Jersey City 1917-1947

Hey CG Mike any word on how it went in Frankfort? I believe Ken Lindell was heading that one up. Im curious as to how the first town in Waldo County has faired. Thanks!

Are any result going to come in tonight?

I haven't heard from Ken yet...I don't think I'm going to hear back from him tonight, but if I do (either tonight or more likely tomorrow morning) I'll post the results here

Early results from what I'm hearing

Bridgeton 13 delegates total
    Straw Poll results: 25 Romney, 10 Paul, 5 McCain, 3 undecided
    Unknown delegate results (but we have a minimum of 4, probably at least 1-2 more)

Gorham 29 delegates total
    Straw poll results: 48 Ronmey, 11 Paul, 9 McCain, 2 Huckabee, 2 Ghouliani)
    7 Confirmed delegates possibly 2 more as well)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Romney again?

God damnit
    Quote Originally Posted by free.alive View Post
    If he's fifth, nothing, fourth then they only show the top three; third they make the story about a battle between two candidates; second, the coronate the glorious winner; first, they cut to some kidnapping or human interest story and MAYBE mention the fact of his win but qualify it with the fact that Michigan doesn't really matter, lost 1/2 R delegates and all D delegates, Dems influenced vote, RP takes marching orders from Muslims, or they don't report it at all.

you have got to be $#@!ting me. Freakin Romney. What a dildo.

Well Ken's Results are in

Frankfort-- 5 delgates total
    straw poll results -- 8 Paul, 1 Romney
    Delegate Total -- 3 Paul, 1 Romney

The Bridgeton results look pretty good, getting at least 4-6+ delegates out of it is probably the single most of any candidate. Do we know the results for the other candidates as far as delegates go in those first towns?

And yay, a first place!

WAY TO GO WALDO COUNTY! Do you know if ken will be speaking tomorrow at the Waldo County caucus? He is a very good speaker. I would but my political correctness is not the best to say the least. I would probably throw the F bomb out as well a few times. Then proceed to bash all the other candidates along with all the supporters that are for the others.

In Gorham, Tagg Romney did the stump speech there and he's going to be attending several county caucuses tomorrow.

Question: Are people in place at the larger caucues (obviously you're in Portland) to make sure there aren't weird things like the pro-life/pro-family things popping up? Also, have you been seeing lots of Romney promotions because of Tagg being there? I know I saw a decent amount of attention from the AP for Paul having gone up there, did that help get people interested from what you're seeing?

Good luck!

Bump for Maine the turning point in the Revolution, I hope
    Keep up the good work everyone, we all play a part; the world is watching and we are on stage!

http://www.endthefed.us/

www.dailypaul.com

http://www.prayforpaul.com/prayers.html

www.campaignforliberty.com

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well the Romney people are out and about now finally in the state (they got an office open 2 days ago in Portland, however they're concentrating on their base...which is Cumberland and York Counties which unfortunately are full of taxachusetts ex-pats

Nothing unusual reported yet, rest assured we are observing (and learning) from each caucus we attend as observers... Hopefully tomorrow afternoon at 1pm, as Portland Goes, So goes Maine and as Maine goes, so goes the Union.
    Last edited by CGMike; 02-01-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Heres an unofficial running total of the results so far (Freeport, Bridgeton, Gorham, Frankfurt):

Strawpoll
    Romney 84
    Paul 33
    McCain 15
    Huckabee 2

Delegates
    Paul 25
    Romney 6*
    McCain 1*

*The actual number is definitely higher than this, but this is as far as has been reported here so far.
    Last edited by Rangeley; 02-01-2008 at 08:34 PM.

This is fantastic Maine. We are all rooting for you.

We're going to a brokered convention.

By then the dollar will have tanked, the recession will be in full bloom and inflation from oil and food will have skyrocketed. McCain will be so tired that he can't even read the manuscripts at his speeches and everyone will hate Romney after his dirty campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeley View Post
    Heres an unofficial running total of the results so far (Freeport, Bridgeton, Gorham, Frankfurt):

Strawpoll
    Romney 84
    Paul 33
    McCain 15
    Huckabee 2

Delegates
    Paul 25
    Romney 6*
    McCain 1*

*The actual number is definitely higher than this, but this is as far as has been reported here so far.
    Lose the straw poll but win the delegates. That's what I'm talkin bout.

Keep it going Maine! If Paul comes in first, I'm gonna buy a TON of lobster.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by zadrock View Post

Z
    Make sure you get em with a maine tag on it. You dont want those generic ones!

Quote Originally Posted by zadrock View Post
    Lose the straw poll but win the delegates. That's what I'm talkin bout.

Z
    The problem is that we can win all the delegates we want but it doesnt mean a thing if Paul doesnt win 5 states *at the polls*. Delegates are great and are the main focus but he still has to win 5 states to be eligible for the nomination at a brokered national convention. That is my understanding of the GOP rules.

Anyway, keep it up Maine! Take a note from Huck's book and shovel all your snow into Romney voter's driveways lol.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Most of us know about rule 40(b) and needing 5 states or territories. Maine is the start.

By the way -- it IS delegates. You have to win 'the majority of delegates' in 5 states.

So... as I understand it, Nevada may already have put us on the scoreboard.
    Huey P. Long, "The Kingfish"
    Former Governor, Senator and leading opponent of the Big Bankers.
    Kingfish Consulting: Experience winning elections, since 1928.

Yea, the straw poll literally has no bearing on anything.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by hueylong View Post
    Most of us know about rule 40(b) and needing 5 states or territories. Maine is the start.

By the way -- it IS delegates. You have to win 'the majority of delegates' in 5 states.

So... as I understand it, Nevada may already have put us on the scoreboard.
    Good point. I guess it depends on the state's procedure itself how 40b is applied. Florida was all delegates go to the primary poll winner. Other states are like that as well. Gosh this stuff is confusing

EDIT: Ah ok. The difference is whether it's a primary state or a caucus state. Got it!
    Last edited by devil21; 02-01-2008 at 09:16 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeley View Post

Strawpoll
    Romney 84
    Paul 33
    McCain 15
    Huckabee 2

Delegates
    Paul 25
    Romney 6*
    McCain 1*

Are Romney supporters stuffing the ballots again like the Florida Straw Poll?

How many local delegates attend the state convention in maine?

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    The problem is that we can win all the delegates we want but it doesnt mean a thing if Paul doesnt win 5 states *at the polls*. Delegates are great and are the main focus but he still has to win 5 states to be eligible for the nomination at a brokered national convention. That is my understanding of the GOP rules.

Anyway, keep it up Maine! Take a note from Huck's book and shovel all your snow into Romney voter's driveways lol.
    That's not true. There may be a rule that says he has to win 5 states in an unbrokered convention. But in a brokered convention anybody can win, even someone who never entered the race at all.

I left my official Maine GOP tally sheet at the office but IF every city/town/plantation caucuses then there are approx 3,000 delegates at the state convention. However, only 75%-80% of towns are caucusing and those that don't caucus at all, are not awarded delegates. Those delegates decide the 21 delegates going to National. Hence we win the most state delegates we win the national delegates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast