Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Most Libertarian Country in the World is...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Most Libertarian Country in the World is...

Anyone know which country is the most libertarian country in the world?

Which country has:

* The most personal/individual freedom
    * The most respect for civil liberties
    * The most limited government
    * The most respect for its constitution
    * The most economic freedom
    * The lowest taxes
    * Sound money

Are there any little-known gems in the world?

I vote for America, but our freedom is fading fast here. I've heard that Ireland, Switzerland, and The Bahamas are all fairly libertarian. I don't know too much about the subject though.

Is America still the freest nation on earth?

If not, which country gets your vote, and why?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Free? You need a "permit" for everything here in a America.

Change the World

I don't know about overall, but I don't plan on learning a foreign language, and I have heard that Mauritius and New Zealand are nice.

Switzerland is the closest to what you describe.
    One hundred or so years ago I would have said america.

Quote Originally Posted by athlon64bit View Post
    Switzerland is the closest to what you describe.
    One hundred or so years ago I would have said america.
    just go 5kph over the speed limit and see how free they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron2Win View Post
    Free? You need a "permit" for everything here in a America.
    I agree; we're not free. But, compared to a lot of other countries, we are better off as citizens here. We still have the freest system I know about.

I'm looking for contradictions to my supposition.

Quote Originally Posted by gb13 View Post
    I agree; we're not free. But, compared to a lot of other countries, we are better off as citizens here. We still have the freest system I know about.

I'm looking for contradictions to my supposition.
    We are rapidly getting worse though, as we have been for some time. Give it a while.

Economically Lithuania seems like it is moving toward libertarian policies. And prospering a lot, obviously.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcreps85 View Post
    We are rapidly getting worse though, as we have been for some time. Give it a while.
    I agree. As I said in my first post, we are losing our freedoms fast here. If things go on the way they have been, I think we are all in for a terrible turn of events in America. Things could get really ugly.

I agree. As I said in my first post, we are losing our freedoms fast here. If things go on the way they have been, I think we are all in for a terrible turn of events in America. Things could get really ugly.

United Kingdom above the US? Let's see camera's everywhere, they can actually ban video games. Socialized medicine. You aren't allowed to own guns etc. I think this list is rather dubious.

This is relevant to my interests.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBryant54 View Post
    This is relevant to my interests.
    HAHAHAHAHA...well said
    Were not to late. This is a moment of clarity. If Government has proven itself to be corrupt from the most representative of democracies to the most tyrannical dictators....the answer to our problems is not changing government...it is ridding ourselves of it

http://www.stateofworldliberty.org/report/rankings.html
    top ten
    1 Estonia
    2 Ireland
    3 Canada
    4 Switzerland
    5 Iceland
    6 Bahamas
    7 United Kingdom
    8 United States
    9 Cyprus
    10 New Zealand

My vote is New Zealand. Their millions of sheep love liberty, unlike ours.

Quote Originally Posted by PauliticsPolitics View Post
    top ten
    1 Estonia
    2 Ireland
    3 Canada
    4 Switzerland
    5 Iceland
    6 Bahamas
    7 United Kingdom
    8 United States
    9 Cyprus
    10 New Zealand
    The UK beats the US? Don't they have cameras on every street corner and super high taxes there?
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by tremendoustie View Post
    The UK beats the US? Don't they have cameras on every street corner and super high taxes there?
    I would say none of these countries as most of them do not have a "individual right to bear arms provision" and the only one that does is Switzerland but they have military conscription.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by daviddee; 08-26-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddee View Post
    Switzerland is really the only other option.

Most the entire first world gets wiped out with their gun laws, taxation, and social welfare programs.

As a last note on Switzerland... There is a very high barrier to entry. Most Americans could never afford to move there. I have debated moving there many times and it always comes down to weather. If Switzerland has a better climate I would have moved there 10 years ago.
    I don't think people here know how strict the swiss laws and police enforcement are, people there end up with 20,000 franc fines for speeding about 30km/h (18 or so mph) over, that is over $18,000 people!! That is not freedom, that is insanity!

Last edited by daviddee; 08-26-2021 at 06:52 AM.

As opposed to life in prison in the USA for drug possession?

Most all crimes in Switzerland are civil offenses ($$$) where everything in this country is criminal + civil (we lock you up and take all of your $#@!).

As to the speeding fines... You have to look at this from the Swiss perspective. The Swiss would ask, "What right do you have to kill or endanger the life of an another Swiss citizen with your speeding on snow filled/icy road?". This is also why abortion was illegal in Switzerland for a very, very long time. The mindset was, "What right do you have to kill an unborn Swiss citizen?"

Your 20,000 franc fine for 30km/h is out of control. As it is usually 1500 francs for 30km over.

The area where the Swiss fail is they have adopted the UK's method of speed cams everywhere. So if you are speeding you will get a ticket in the mail.
    yep and non citizen = substandard person, literally.

oh and the roads aren't icy all the time so that isn't an excuse

Last edited by daviddee; 08-26-2021 at 05:24 AM.

If Switzerland had a better climate I would have moved there 10 years ago.
    Ok, depends on what you understand by better climate. There are regions like southern switzerland which you cannot compare to the rest (I live there).

It's called the "sonnenstube" (sun-room), it's at the italian border, people speak italian mostly, it's the only region where palms grow naturally, tourists love it for the weather and scenery... and the streets are covered in snow for lets say two-three days a year. And you are still connected to the rest of the world: milan for instance is a one hour drive.

But if you were looking for singapore climate you are right, switzerland is nothing for you

While I didn't like some of their laws, I had to admire the Bahama's. It's not resolving for me right now, but the web site is:

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/

You could print out ALL of their laws and comfortably carry them in your pocket. It might take you a few hours to read them all.

In the USA, to transport a copy all of the laws would take a 2 ton army truck, or more likely a small convoy. There would be more pages that a person could reasonably be able to read in a lifetime - yet ignorance of the law is no excuse...

I imagine there are other Island states that are more free than the Bahama's.

I love the Swiss voting system and political structure. The country is beautiful, yet it is very hard to get citizenship and they speak several languages - none of which are English.

Zimbabwe is completely free right now. It's also the wild, wild west. There is basically no government. You can do anything you want. But you better have a small private security force and a fortified base camp, or you won't live long. Total anarchy.

Then there is the north and south pole - where I don't think there are any laws - ditto the moon. But talk about a hostile climate!

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 12-13-2009 at 05:02 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anyone know which country is the most libertarian country in the world?
    Nevada, apparently

Ireland as #2, followed by Switzerland, and Canada.. Wow! America is only number 8.

Switzerland has $18,000 speeding tickets? Damn... I'd go broke in 2 months. Their climate is pretty rough, and they're landlocked, too. But, Ireland is supposed to be beautiful all year round.
    Last edited by gb13; 01-31-2008 at 01:42 AM.

New Zealand won't be in the top 10 for long.

As someone that has travelled the world and lived in 5 countries, I can assure you, there's no way in God's green earth that America is freeier than NZ. The US is the most restrictive country I have ever lived in. Period.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    View all the latest Ron Paul videos, including endorsements, media appearances, music videos, 2012 promos, campaign ads and more.
    I am the creator of RonPaulFLIX.com & RonPaulPOSTS.com, and the GOTV site RonPaulVolunteer.com, and co-creator of the Blue Republican movement
    Stop dreaming of what YOU can do - just do it

Last edited by daviddee; 08-26-2021 at 05:01 AM.

I live in Canada. The fact that Canada got #3 on that list proves that the ranking method is severely flawed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast