Thread: Christianity: Religion of War?

Christianity: Religion of War?

Christians seem to have become one-issue voters. Paradoxically, our issue is war.

Why is it that we, who worship the Prince of Peace, are so in love with war? Why will we compromise on or consider *anything* else, but the war? We'll vote for big-government, tax-and-spend, run-our-lives liberals. We'll support someone soft on abortion, immigration/border security, civil rights, and constitutionality. We'll choose adulterers, liars, and overlook all manner of moral and character defects.

Just so long as they support the war.

Christians look at a candidate like Ron Paul, who represents every bit of the Christian and conservative ideal we hold dear, but discount him offhand because he has ideas about keeping America safe that don't involve this war. I've observed this personally as I talk to Christians about the candidates, and so have many other folks.

What strikes me is not so much whether the war is actually justified or merited or not, it's that Christians are completely unwilling to consider it in logical terms or become educated about it in any way. It's a prerequisite, a foregone conclusion, something not open for evaluation whatsoever. As I said, we will literally compromise on ANYTHING but the war when choosing our candidates.

I asked my father about this last night. He supports the war. He pondered for a while, then said he thought it came down to fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of being the next victim of an attack, fear of not doing enough. I agree. Fear can have the unfortunate effect of overriding logic and moral judgment. It also makes us more willing to sacrifice freedom; just look at the Patriot Act. Benjamin Franklin said, "He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither."

I'm as guilty as anyone. It wasn't so long ago I supported the war. Then I began to inform myself and think logically. All of the sudden I didn't support the war any more. First I learned about Islam, and how the people don't want democracy -- nothing we set up can last. I learned how Muslims are indeed a violent people but are historically quite happy to fight amongst themselves when they don't have a common enemy against which to unite. I learned about the justifications given for this war, and how they either turned out to be false or were accomplished very early on. I learned we currently have no plan, no justification for continued involvement, and no exit strategy. I learned how this war is bankrupting our country and leaving a heritage of debt and economic ruin to our kids.

But most importantly, I learned that we are LESS SAFE because of our actions over there. There were no Al-Qaeda in Iraq before we went in. Now they're all over. Our provocation of this enemy has led to documented, significant increases in funding and recruitment for Islamic terror organizations. We've fomented the hatred and increased the resolve of the Muslim extremists and the Muslim world in general. We've lost standing and image among both our allies and enemies on the world stage. We're becoming increasingly isolated and friendless.

All the while our borders and ports remain wide open (only Ron Paul would secure them).

Our intelligence reports and terrorists' admissions both show they hate us not simply because we're free and prosperous and Christian, but because we are meddling. Make no mistake, every new day we spend occupying their lands and meddling in their affairs represents a strengthening of terrorism and a decrease in safety for America. Osama bin Laden's stated plan is to bleed us dry economically through war, and grow his organization and Islamic terrorism in general by the Muslim public's outrage resulting from our aggression and occupation. That seems to be going nicely for them.

So why, when there are perfectly reasonable arguments that this war and foreign policy aren't working, and indeed are having a net negative effect, do Christians make this their "firewall issue"? Why are we so consumed by fear? Why are liberals and Democrats, and non-Christians in general, who have no hope in Christ, more willing to get past the fear?

Christians claim Almighty God as our protector and friend! If God is for us, who can be against us? Whom, then, shall we fear?

Nothing and nobody -- except Muslims, apparently. And what we do about it makes no sense at all.

So we discount the only candidate with a consistent Christian and conservative voting record and life. We'd rather compromise our most cherished Christian and conservative beliefs than consider peace. And all because we can't or won't see past our fear.

In any case, terrorism is the only real winner here.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. - Romans 12:18

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ (Matthew 7:21-23)
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ