Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am buying my first gun...need a little help

I am buying my first gun...need a little help

I am looking for a new hobby. I use to shoot when I was in boy scouts. But I never had a gun of my own. I am looking for a "good" lower end shotgun semi auto 12 gauge would be nice. I do not want to spend over 1k I wont be hunting or anything just want to unload on targets.

Should I buy something used or go new? Any suggestions on make and models? (yes I will be taking courses in gun safety)

Thanks

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Every person on here will give you a different answer or have some issue with someone else's choice.

My first turkey gun was a pump-action Remington 870 12gauge. I blasted several turkeys with it, but upgraded to a semi-auto Remington 1100 (used) and have blasted even more turkeys.

I've never had a problem with either of them. I'd recommend a used one, and not be afraid if they have some dings in the wood as they inevitably occur if you're out hunting. Not sure what they run new anymore as I've changed to Berettas and a H&H, but they should be affordable and last a lifetime if you give them a little TLC from time-to-time.

For rabbits/small game in heavy brush areas, I use a 20gauge 1100 special-field model (straight stock) --- it's nothing special but it gets the job done.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

semi-auto Remington 1100

That's a good shotgun. ItsTime, just get someone you trust to go buy it with you. Some nice 12 gauge, and you won't get anywhere near 1k for a decent bluerock shooting gun.

The Magnificent Mossberg
    Solid, reliable and hard-hitting, the 590 soldiers used in Iraq

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/mossir_033007/

http://www.saiga-12.com/

woo nice! Ok stupid question.. Like I said this is my first gun, dont know anything about guns. I am assuming the mag is reloadable and I do not need to shell out 60 bucks every 10 rounds.

I am a total nooooooob when it comes to guns sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Man from La Mancha View Post
    The Magnificent Mossberg

Get an AR15 so when the S%$T hits the fan you will be able to find NATO rounds everywere.

I really want to get a Saiga with AK furniture on it like that one you posted.

Check out Remington 870, Winchester 1300, and Mossberg 590 and 500. All well priced, but pump-action. For a semi auto under 1k, I'd get the Saiga. If you wanna go over 1k, you got the Benelli M4.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    could someone answer my question about the mags. are they reloadable? or do I need to buy 1000 mags?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    I use to shoot when I was in boy scouts. But I never had a gun of my own.
    Eagle Scout here....

Let's just say that the first thing you should do before you buy is to take a gun safety/shooting/owners/carry course. Since you have lethal force at your fingertips you should really be very comfortable with it and know how to use it PROPERLY.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    could someone answer my question about the mags. are they reloadable? or do I need to buy 1000 mags?
    They are reloadable, yes.

I suggest you go to your local sporting goods store and have a look. That will give you a good idea of prices and perhaps help you make your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by micahnelson View Post
    Only on RPF could I justifiably believe that there was discussion of Homosexual Buddites and how they may be conspiring against us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_LA View Post
    I am not going to argue with you whether I'm creepy.

After hunting season is the best time to find guns cheap. Look in your trader mag or news paper or ask around in bars. No paper work needed for purchase. You can pick up semi shotguns for 200$ or cheaper. A shotgun with a clip would be the way to go along with a semi rifle and a 45 or larger pistol. You can buy all 3 for 1000$ if you look around for bargains.
    You better get your rifle first before hillary gets in office. When the assault ban was on,those guns prices sky rocketed along with the ammo. Use to be 100$ for a 1000 rnds and now about 200$.

I just picked up a used mossberg 500 for 180 clams. Nice, reliable pump action 12 ga. Like mentioned before, your safety class will go through the ins and outs of firearms and you should come out of the class with a better idea of what is best for you. For me, its my underfolding yugoslavian ak-47.

A .22 LR is probably the best gun to get for your first. The ammo is cheap, so you'll be able to practice enough to become a proficient marksman. Once you got things like trigger and breathing control down, then you can move up to whatever cartridges you want.

first of all for 1k. you could buy a mossberg 500 and a ak-74 or cetme and some treats and ammo to feed them. when the SHTF you are going to want a long gun..

any name brand pump action 12ga and a simple lever or mauser action open sighted centerfire.
    buy both used and get ammo for both and practice!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    A .22 LR is probably the best gun to get for your first. The ammo is cheap, so you'll be able to practice enough to become a proficient marksman. Once you got things like trigger and breathing control down, then you can move up to whatever cartridges you want.
    This is true. Go with a .22 to learn marksmanship. if your budget is 1k you can get a nice .22, run thousands of rounds through it. And then still have plenty money to decide what your next gun will be.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt, the mobs should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence."

Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106 BC-43 BC

im sure its been said, but mossy 500 or 835, or a remi 870
    Patrick Krott
    for Alternate Delegate
    CD3 Pennsylvania

PKrott@gmail.com

the TRUE CONSERVATIVE flyers: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=116729

Quote Originally Posted by Man from La Mancha View Post
    The Magnificent Mossberg

Those saiga's are supposed to be fairly nice guns in all calibers, only problem is the mag's are sickly expensive ($35-$45 each). The ones chambered for 7.62x39 don't take standard AK mags.

The Mossberg 590, is the same as the 500, just with a beefed up reciever and action for military use (If I remember correctly).

You can get a very nice shotgun for WELL under $1000. The Remington 12ga 870 is a great first choice.

If you are going to be using it for skeet shooting, an 870 pump will not let you down. You may also want to look at a semi-auto shotgun. Not having to pump in between shots will allow you to focus on aiming.

If this is your first gun, as others have said, you may want to take a gun course. As well as think about getting a 22. Those are great because you can hit the range and shoot forever and it wont make you go broke on ammo. 22 ammo is dirt cheap!
    <Proud Precinct Leader>
    Become one too!

Rockefeller started remington, don't buy from that oil tycoon.
    Last edited by Allen72289; 02-05-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen72289 View Post
    Rockefeller started remington, don't buy from that oil tycoon.
    Do you have a source for that BULL$#@!.

I swear, there is more ignorant crap spread around here.
    . It was founded in 1816 by Eliphalet Remington in Ilion, New York, as E. Remington and Sons. It is the oldest company in the United States which still makes its original product, and is the oldest continuously operating manufacturer in North America. It is the only US company which produces both firearms and ammunition domestically, and is the largest US producer of shotguns and rifles.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I bought my first shotgun last weekend. It's a Winchester 1300 Defender.

I REALLY like the look and feel of it (not very heavy at all). I hope the heck I like shooting it. I'll find out in the next couple of months when Minnesota warms up a bit!

OK, but what would be a cheap but reliable hand-gun with enough power to stop on intruder but at the same time would fit in a poor man's budget?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've settled on the following:

Handgun: S&W .357 Revolver (got it, like it, bought it used)
    Shotgun: Mossberg Persuader (haven't bought it yet, will buy soon, it's cheap relatively speaking)
    Rifle: No clue what to get, know very little about them.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    OK, but what would be a cheap but reliable hand-gun with enough power to stop on intruder but at the same time would fit in a poor man's budget?
    http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/
    All your voter base are belong to us!

if this is your first gun, I'd go with a .22

The Ruger 10/22 would be a good and fun choice, and there is plenty of upgrades and knick-knacks you can add on to it.
    Patrick Krott
    for Alternate Delegate
    CD3 Pennsylvania

PKrott@gmail.com

the TRUE CONSERVATIVE flyers: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=116729

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Do you have a source for that BULL$#@!.

I swear, there is more ignorant crap spread around here.
    Don't have to use vulgar language.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...669D946496D6CF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Avery_Rockefeller

Don't wrongfully criticize me for your own nescient comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by krott5333 View Post
    if this is your first gun, I'd go with a .22

The Ruger 10/22 would be a good and fun choice, and there is plenty of upgrades and knick-knacks you can add on to it.
    The guns I own are at my parent's house.
    25-06
    and .22 rifle

what i want is an affordable hand gun to keep at my property in the city.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Ill buy a 22 as well. Like you all said cheap ammo for getting use to firing. I fired a gun a lot when I was 12/13 (around when I was a Mormon they like their guns) I am going to pick up the siaga as well. I can get all that for under a k.

Thanks guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast