Thread: Has Ron lost his debating "spunk" ?

Has Ron lost his debating "spunk" ?

I just saw the florida debate again.. Then i saw another debate from over the summer.. And holy crap what a difference..

Paul looked limp Thursday night.. He didn't have near the spunk and fire he had in the earlier debates.. What's going on? I thought he'd show even more fire after having Thompson drop out and the field narrowing.. Is the hard campaigning getting to him?? Is Paul getting tired and worn down ?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, when you're standing there for 30 minutes before they even come to you you're going to be a little rusty at first....It takes a while to get loose in a debate just like anything else...He only got 6 minutes total....Ron was just getting warm in his last response where he did quite well...

every question he got he killed it...

90 minutes divided by 5 participants should have averaged out to about 17 1/2 minutes each allowing for moderators etc. Stand there for 90 minutes and they only let you talk for 6 minutes.. I would be "limp" too.

Matthew Chapters 23 + 24

I keep hoping what Paul is jotting down is the count of time / questions asked to the other candidates, then at some point when they tell him his time is up on a response, he'll say, "well, by my count I should have about 20 more minutes".

I think you miss the whole point. Ron was great in the last debate. Television is a "cool" medium, you have to come off relaxed or you get pegged as "angry"...

The last debate was his best performance.
    Huey P. Long, "The Kingfish"
    Former Governor, Senator and leading opponent of the Big Bankers.
    Kingfish Consulting: Experience winning elections, since 1928.

it comes and goes i remember like 2 debates ago people were complaining because he wasnt being very offenseive while the other candidates were and he seemed sort of tired and worn out.

then the last debate he was on FIRE every question and had a nice chunk of face time and everyone was cheering about what a great job he did.

this debate he really didnt have much time at all so i dont think you can say much either way.

If the candidates can agree to shortening the debate from 2 hours to an hour and a half, how come they can't agree to providing each candidate with equal time?

Spunk = previous primary WINS.<IMHO>

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think he must have a strategy built around hanging back at this point. He must be allowing them to cannabalize each other before narrowing the field and taking a more assertive posture on.

Maybe we as his supporters thought he was "spunky" in other debates, but the #1 complaint from people who were hearing him for the first time was that he sounded like an angry, cranky old man. Maybe that got back to him and he tried to tone it down, who knows? Someone obviously told him to slow down, which he did last time.

None of the other candidates said anything remotely angry or controversial - they were an exceedingly mild bunch, almost to the point of being sleep aids. So with everybody else being so mildly polite, what did you want Ron to do? Implode? Explode? Surely we all know by now that's not his style - and we should have all learned by now to trust his instincts on these things.

I think the point is that Paul's allowing himself to accept 6 minutes versus over 13 for every other candidate. Not sure that's going to make anyone change their doubts about his assertiveness as a leader. That's why I think this has to be calculated.

It seems to me that the CNN/Wolf Blitzer debate with the Democrats was much better moderated. Although Obama and Hillary were going at it much of the time, Edwards chimed in to Wolf that there were THREE candidates here on the stage, no TWO. Wolf gave Edwards the time he needed.

It was much fairer than the Republican debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid American View Post
    I think the point is that Paul's allowing himself to accept 6 minutes versus over 13 for every other candidate. Not sure that's going to make anyone change their doubts about his assertiveness as a leader. That's why I think this has to be calculated.
    I picked up on that a couple of times too, Lucid. He would quit talking because he didn't want to say anything more, even though more time was obviously available. In comparison to bores like Mitt who just keep rambling and rambling and rambling and talking over the moderators who have to keep reminding them their time is up is up - RP's approach stands out head and shoulders above the others.

And several times I noticed RP had said what he wanted to say, then realized oh what the heck, might as well use up all my meager time and keep on talking. He can do this because he can say more of substance in 60 seconds than the others can in half an hour. I give the "Average viewer" enough credit to realize this, too.

I agree, it's a smart calculation on his part and I learned a long time ago to trust his instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by InLoveWithRon View Post
    I just saw the florida debate again.. Then i saw another debate from over the summer.. And holy crap what a difference..

Paul looked limp Thursday night.. He didn't have near the spunk and fire he had in the earlier debates.. What's going on? I thought he'd show even more fire after having Thompson drop out and the field narrowing.. Is the hard campaigning getting to him?? Is Paul getting tired and worn down ?

you are wrong.

Paul's appearance in the debate

He definitely looked tired and old in the debate. He really needed to step it up and he did the opposite. If that was planned, I don't get it. If it was not planned, then he needs an image consultant.

As I've said repeatedly to my fellow RP supporters, he needs to really reach out to the average joe sixpack (might be too late)...these guys don't listen to the words, they make up their minds on images, etc.

The hardcore supporters wouldn't mind the pandering. So, within the limits of being reasonably true to his character, he needs someone like a Naomi Wolf (Gore's image consultant) to tell hime how to dress, comb his hair, make-up, etc.

Clinton eventually won by his break-out playing the sax on SNL. Huck broke out by playing guitar at the Iowa Straw Poll in August and then getting Chuck Norris' endorsement. Total pandering, but necessary.

Dr. John Huckans

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by huckans View Post
    He definitely looked tired and old in the debate. He really needed to step it up and he did the opposite. If that was planned, I don't get it. If it was not planned, then he needs an image consultant.

As I've said repeatedly to my fellow RP supporters, he needs to really reach out to the average joe sixpack (might be too late)...these guys don't listen to the words, they make up their minds on images, etc.

The hardcore supporters wouldn't mind the pandering. So, within the limits of being reasonably true to his character, he needs someone like a Naomi Wolf (Gore's image consultant) to tell hime how to dress, comb his hair, make-up, etc.

Clinton eventually won by his break-out playing the sax on SNL. Huck broke out by playing guitar at the Iowa Straw Poll in August and then getting Chuck Norris' endorsement. Total pandering, but necessary.

Dr. John Huckans
    Yeah a lot of people just vote for the alpha male..

Matthew Chapters 23 + 24

Can someone post link to debate?...........Thanks

RP's image in general, how to win

At the Philly Rally, I spoke with Rocky Lynne about getting Ron to bang a tambourine or something during a performance. He said he'd talk to him about it...I wonder if he ever did.

People eat this kind of stuff up. I used to belly-ache about the media's lack of coverage. Now, I am convinced that the only way to win this thing with the remaining 2 weeks or so is:

1) Local paper articles and radio station ads written and paid for by the local grass roots ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.

2) Pandering by Ron and his guys at the top. By this I mean, attention to image, photo-ops, a musical connection, whatever. He needs to turn his body toward and address his competition during the last debate or two. He needs to address them by their first names. He needs to forcefully attack their past words and deeds (as distasteful as that seems to be for him).

3) Door-to-door canvasing...become a precint leader IMMEDIATELY.

4) A major fundraising push (help us Trevor!)

Any other ideas??

Dr. John Huckans

In California/CNN Debate on Jan. 30th, Ron Paul better step up before Super Duper Tuesday! Make himself standout over others.

Maybe he was not feeling good that night. He did seem a bit subdued.

OR maybe he wanted to come off as very calm which he did.
    Last edited by Carole; 01-27-2008 at 07:55 PM.
    Carole

"Mr. Chairman, we have in this Country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks, hereinafter called the Fed. The Fed has cheated the Government of these United States and the people of the United States out of enough money to pay the Nation's debt. The depredations and iniquities of the Fed has cost enough money to pay the National debt several times over. -Cong. Louis McFadden

Quote Originally Posted by huckans View Post

Dr. John Huckans
    Clinton played sax on Arsenio, not SNL.

And Dr. Paul just needs to concentrate on getting in his bike and jogging time. Apparently he gets cranky when he doesn't get it, and I think he is trying to overcompensate for that by not talking. He needs to throw down the truth-bombs in a calm way, and I think he is afraid he will look cranky if he does that without his exercise.