Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vermont becomes 9th state to legalize cannabis, first by way of state legislature

Cool Vermont becomes 9th state to legalize cannabis, first by way of state legislature

and it was signed into law by a Republican governor too

Vermont Becomes the Ninth State to Legalize Recreational Marijuana
    Today the governor signed a bill that eliminates penalties for possession and home cultivation.

Jacob Sullum
    Jan. 22, 2018

Today Vermont Gov. Phil Scott signed a bill making his state the ninth to legalize marijuana for recreational use and the first to do so through the legislature rather than a ballot initiative. The new law, which takes effect on July 1, allows adults 21 or older to possess up to an ounce of marijuana in public, to grow up to six plants (two of them mature at any one time) per household, and to keep whatever they produce.

"After more than 15 years of hard work by [the Marijuana Policy Project] and our allies in the state, adults in Vermont no longer need to fear being fined or criminalized for low-level marijuana possession and cultivation," says Matt Simon, MPP's New England political director. "Responsible adults will soon have the freedom to enjoy a safer option legally, and law enforcement will be free to concentrate on serious crimes with actual victims."

Unlike the initiatives that legalized recreational marijuana in Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, the Vermont law does not permit commercial production or distribution. But it creates a Marijuana Regulatory Commission (with the same membership as the advisory commission that Scott appointed last September) that is charged with studying "regulation and taxation of a commercial adult-use marijuana market that is economically sustainable, reduces the illegal marijuana market, [and] results in net revenues to the State after appropriate costs for education, public health and public safety have been deducted." The commission is required to produce a final report by the end of the year.

read more:
    http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/22/ve...state-to-legal

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Take that Sessions!
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL crazy potheads. It's still illegal
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

"Live free or die" state needs to get with the program. Completely surrounded by 3 states that have legalized, plus Canada which will be legalizing this summer.

41 more states to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    LOL , Only safe in canada .

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    "Live free or die" state needs to get with the program. Completely surrounded by 3 states that have legalized, plus Canada which will be legalizing this summer.

You can ALMOST drive across the entire country with THC laden buds if you have a prescription..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Not here..

now where is that shishkaberry?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You can ALMOST drive across the entire country with THC laden buds if you have a prescription..
    Do you deliver?

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Not here..

now where is that shishkaberry?
    That was the name of my roommate's cat about 12 years ago (I named her)
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Do you deliver?

Some day..

Some day..
    You will need to use dog carts in Califonia:
    California bans drone delivery services of legalized pot

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    "Transportation may not be done by aircraft, watercraft, rail, drones, human-powered vehicles, or unmanned vehicles,"

They forgot dog carts.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Oklahoma and Missouri are probably going to legalize by ballot initiative in 2018. If Indiana or Kentucky can somehow find a way, there will be a complete path.

Vermont Gov. Phil Scott (R) on Monday signed into law House Bill 511, which legalizes the possession of up to one ounce of cannabis and removes penalties for possession of up to two mature marijuana plants and up to four immature plants.

Although other states have legalized cannabis through ballot initiatives that have left the decision up to voters, Vermont does not allow for such a process. Over the past few years, lawmakers in the state have instead been working to address marijuana reform through legislation. A similar legalization bill made it to Scott’s desk in 2017, but the governor vetoed it, citing concerns with weak language on punishment for the sale of marijuana to minors and its establishment of a commission to study how a regulated cannabis market would work in Vermont.

The final version of H. 511 clarified civil penalties for the sale of marijuana to individuals under 21 years old and removed the commission entirely. Scott has instead created his own marijuana task force, which is examining the state’s involvement in recreational cannabis sales and focusing on developing comprehensive education, prevention and highway safety strategies.
    “There must be comprehensive and convincing plans completed in these areas before I will begin to consider the wisdom of implementing a commercial ‘tax-and-regulate’ system for an adult marijuana market,” Scott said on Monday. “It is important for the General Assembly to know that – until we have a workable plan to address each of these concerns – I will veto any additional effort along these lines, which manages to reach my desk.”
    Some state officials say the composition of that commission looks to be biased against marijuana, which means recreational weed faces an uncertain future in Vermont.
    “There is frustration that the governor’s panels appear to be predetermined in opposition [to a tax-and-regulate model for marijuana sales] versus the sentiment of the House and Senate, which was to move forward,” said Vermont Lt. Gov. David Zuckerman, a Progressive/Democrat.
    The governor’s commission is expected to deliver a final report to lawmakers by the end of the year, which would guide them on future legislation to establish a market for cannabis. Under Vermont’s two-step process of legalization, it could be a while before the state sees its first legal marijuana sale, said Matt Simon, the New England political director for the Marijuana Policy Project, a non-profit organization that advocates for cannabis reform around the country.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/vermont-m...193656120.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-28-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Legalization = partial FAIL.

DECRIMINALIZE, damn it!
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Take that Sessions!
    That a North Korean missile?

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

DECRIMINALIZE, damn it!
    The problem is that "decriminalize" in the colloquial sense means that it is still illegal to grow or sell. For a libertarian, the word decriminalize sounds like you can grow 30 plants in your backyard and sell weed to your neighbor. Well, that is never going to happen because they are always going to want to regulate sales to children. But typically decriminalization bills will allow possession of small amounts and that is all.

I've always said they should make legalization bills which criminalize sales to under 18 without a prescription, and then just the regular sales tax.

I've always said they should make legalization bills which criminalize sales to under 18 without a prescription, and then just the regular sales tax.
    Why..
    I see no need to regulate it whatsoever.

It is harmless,, and on top of NO Harm,, it is beneficial. for food,for construction,for clothing,for medicine and for art.

It is a gift from God and forbidding it is criminal.

It needs to be part of the environment,, again.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I think the word I'd like to see across the board is UNSCHEDULE - get it off the scheduled prohibition list. Regulate the way dandelions are regulated.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

That a North Korean missile?
    I just grabbed the gif from a news article on the yahoo front page, I think it was a satellite launch.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why..

It is harmless,, and on top of NO Harm,, it is beneficial. for food,for construction,for clothing,for medicine and for art.

I wouldn't mind it that way, but anything less would be unacceptable to the vast majority of the population.

Even with my plan it would be far less regulated than cigs.. You can't commercially grow or sell tobacco without all kinds of permits, and there are very high taxes especially for cigs, and now in many places you have to be 21..
    Last edited by dannno; 01-23-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Why..

^^^THIS^^^

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wouldn't mind it that way, but anything less would be unacceptable to the vast majority of the population.

Even with my plan it would be far less regulated than cigs.. You can't commercially grow or sell tobacco without all kinds of permits, and there are very high taxes especially for cigs, and now in many places you have to be 21..
    Also dumb..

and I started smoking tobacco at 12.
    Back when I could still walk to a story and buy them with no question,, other than what flavor.

My profession was far more dangerous than anything I smoked.

At 40 I could still free dive lobster at 30 ft down. and i am 60+ and have no breathing issues,
    Though for the last couple I have been smoking Cannabis as well. I may have cut back on tobacco,, but am still a regular smoker.

I enjoy tobacco,, and wish I could afford better quality..
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post

What's the legend here? What's the 'D' represent? Democrat? Decriminalized? Douche? Decriminalized Democratic Douche? Help me out?

And the colors? I surmise the dark green is "legal" at the least. What about the rest?

The problem is that "decriminalize" in the colloquial sense means that it is still illegal to grow or sell. For a libertarian, the word decriminalize sounds like you can grow 30 plants in your backyard and sell weed to your neighbor. Well, that is never going to happen because they are always going to want to regulate sales to children. But typically decriminalization bills will allow possession of small amounts and that is all.

Yeah well, screw the colloquialisms of marginal spirits and intellects. I'm speaking in strictly proper terms. Decriminalization means the so-called "state" is keeping its nose out of things that are none of its business.

Does anyone here realize just how close to being free this land actually is? The veil separating this tyranny from freedom is so thin as to be imperceptible by most. It would take but the most marginal and subtle twist in the ways things are done to transform this land into something far different and far better.

How I despise stupid, corrupt men.

I just grabbed the gif from a news article on the yahoo front page, I think it was a satellite launch.
    I see yet another of my attempts as mildly sarcastic humor has failed.

DECRIMINALIZE, damn it!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to osan again."
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

What's the legend here? What's the 'D' represent? Democrat? Decriminalized? Douche? Decriminalized Democratic Douche? Help me out?

And the colors? I surmise the dark green is "legal" at the least. What about the rest?
    I think every county in the so-called live free or die state is blue.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast