Thread: Happy Turkey Day!

Happy Turkey Day!

I got off work at midnight but will be cooking tomorrow (today- I am going to sleep soon). Instead of turkey I am doing a duck.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you Zippy! Enjoy your Thanksgiving duck.

I got off easy this year. We're going to the in-laws house and my son cooked our dishes. He want's to be a chef one day, I just supervised. He (we) made mac-n-cheese (the real stuff), creamed corn, 2 chocolate pies and 2 coconut pies. Of course I'm also taking a box of Franzia Chillable Red, I'll need it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Zip, what does the duck have to say about that?

I'm just messing with you. Heh...

Happy Thanksgiving.

happy thanksgiving y'all

Sweetie is cooking a turkey breast in the oven, she made dressing (one for her and one for me, I don't do the giblets), a spice cake and a an apple pie. She makes yams (I don't do them either), cranberry (a taste maybe for me), mashed potatoes (golden variety), gravy, yeast rolls, black olives, etc.
    Merlin gets his plate too, in fact he sits there giving her moral support. Life is still good, praise the Lord.

Happy Thxnksgiving!
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post

I'm just messing with you. Heh...

Happy Thanksgiving.
    He lost at "Duck Duck Goose" or was that "Duck Duck Turkey"? Forgot to duck.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-27-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I got off work at midnight but will be cooking tomorrow (today- I am going to sleep soon). Instead of turkey I am doing a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post

Probably: "Quack! Quack! QuackQuackQuackQuack QUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I got off easy this year. We're going to the in-laws house and my son cooked our dishes. He want's to be a chef one day, I just supervised. He (we) made mac-n-cheese (the real stuff), creamed corn, 2 chocolate pies and 2 coconut pies. Of course I'm also taking a box of Franzia Chillable Red, I'll need it.

Wow, good for your son! How old is he? Tell him congratulations for a job well done.

And Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Wow, good for your son! How old is he? Tell him congratulations for a job well done.

And Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    He's 14 and a pretty darn good cook.

Just waiting for the stuffing to finish and the duck to cool. Made own gravy from scratch using fat from the duck and my own stock. Also having brussel sprouts cooked in red wine and a light balsamic glaze and dutch apple pie from local apples (didn't make the pie). And for all you freezing, it is about 80 degrees today.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    He's 14 and a pretty darn good cook.

If your son really enjoys the work, give him lots of encouragement. It sounds like he's a natural. And finding a job that is enjoyable *and* lucrative is kind of rare in my experience.

http://www.neci.edu/blog/neci/what-i...lary-of-a-chef
    In just the last few years, statistics have shown the average salary of a chef has absolutely exploded upwards – with many chefs making over $50,000 and more in their first year of employment. This number continues to trend upwards on an annual basis, and it’s definitely an exciting time to get into the culinary universe.

Just what is the average salary of a chef right out of culinary college?

If you’re really trying to figure out exactly what is the average salary of a chef, hopefully this quick bit of information will provide you with the answers that you’re looking for. According to the latest Star Chefs Survey (conducted in 2010) these are the average salaries for different chef positions:

Chef/Owner/CEO $80k
    Executive Chef $75k
    Chef de Cuisine $55k
    Sous Chef $41k
    Pastry Chef $47k

New sous chefs right out of college can make about $50,000 a year anywhere in the country, with executive chefs, regional chefs, and resort chefs (as well as those working at prestigious kitchens across the globe) pulling down $125,000 or more right out of school.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Just waiting for the stuffing to finish and the duck to cool. Made own gravy from scratch using fat from the duck and my own stock. Also having brussel sprouts cooked in red wine and a light balsamic glaze and dutch apple pie from local apples (didn't make the pie). And for all you freezing, it is about 80 degrees today.
    Zippy... you're killing me, my friend... you're killin' me!!

Seriously, though - Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you have a fantastic day!

Thanks! Hope you did too!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Happy Thanksgiving! We went to a restaurant my cousin picked out and it was really expensive and terrible. I think the thing they called Turkey Roulade was really a Jenny-O turkey roll. I usually cook but couldn't do it this year due to a foot injury. I barely ate, it was that bad so later I went to IHOP and got one of their turkey dinners...which was better but obviously still not my home cooking.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The wifey hates turkey so we alternate. Last year was turkey year. This year we did manicotti. Also delicious, but not quite the same yumminess as oven roasted turkey
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

This year I had a big helping of made-from-scratch food...

That other people cooked.

Some people try to tell me that food tastes even better when you make it, but that's a damnable lie. Nothin' better than a Thanksgiving meal provided by a loving (yet rough around the edges) family. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.