Thread: Video: Rand Paul rally Orem, UT

Video: Rand Paul rally Orem, UT

Rand Paul rally Orem, UT

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's got to stop with the constant quotes . . .

Looking sharp, Orem.

Looks like people are showing up to me.
    "I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames (1789)

Great crowd! I think Rand's stump speech could use a makeover though. Fewer quotes -- needs less "Madison said" and more "I say". And more importantly, listening to this stump speech I didn't get a clear picture of what the theme of Rand's campaign is. He goes through a number of different issues, with some common sense solutions, but I didn't really get "Defeat the Washington Machine" from his speech. Rand needs to own more of these issues. You want to talk about how the collapse of the separation of powers is the worst thing Obama has done? Don't just list off a couple examples and move on to the next thing. Freaking slam Obama on it, and slam Bush and the entire establishment. Leave a wound. You want to talk about protecting the entire Bill of Rights? Richard Jewell and Guantanamo Bay are nice little professorial examples, but go harder! Go bold or go home. I don't think America is in the mood for nuance.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

I like "Madison said." But he should be hitting harder. He should hit his opponents harder, and he should draw out bold solutions as to what he will do specifically about the problems in the country. Hopefully McConnell will come through in the next few months and give high-profile votes on Rand's bills. But we also need to know what he would do as an executive.

The Benghazi section in this is weak. Rand used to speak out on the State Dept. (& CIA & MI6) running arms from Benghazi to ISIS. Nothing about that here. There's stuff about comedians in India... Nothing stronger about Benghazi than that 'Hillary was negligent.' Anyone in the GOP can say that. (And it won't matter once Biden steps in anyway.)

Jan2017

Nice crowd . . . he doesn't need to attack opponents -

These talks are like from Rand's philosophy as in his book - it is about restraining government.
    No one else in the GOP or Dimocrat fields are even close to tapping into that sentiment.