Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Addresses Firearms in Stores

Thumbs down Target Addresses Firearms in Stores

Target Addresses Firearms in Stores
    July 2, 2014
    http://abullseyeview.com/2014/07/tar...rms-in-stores/

Unfortunately, Texas Open Carry activists and the evil statists funded by Bloomberg have accidentally worked together again to discourage person people from being safe. Don't get me wrong, I know the Texas people didn't want this to happen. They just set the stage and it likely wouldn't have happened (at least not at this time) without their efforts to document their carrying of rifles in Target. This is a major blew to the elderly, single mothers and if the blog post is actually correct, even the police.

The leadership team has been weighing a complex issue, and I want to be sure everyone understands our thoughts and ultimate decision.

As you’ve likely seen in the media, there has been a debate about whether guests in communities that permit “open carry” should be allowed to bring firearms into Target stores. Our approach has always been to follow local laws, and of course, we will continue to do so. But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law.

We’ve listened carefully to the nuances of this debate and respect the protected rights of everyone involved. In return, we are asking for help in fulfilling our goal to create an atmosphere that is safe and inviting for our guests and team members.

This is a complicated issue, but it boils down to a simple belief: Bringing firearms to Target creates an environment that is at odds with the family-friendly shopping and work experience we strive to create.
    That's correct, the CEO of Target is convinced that single women, the disabled and the elderly shouldn't be able to follow the law to defend themselves from being attacked by males. Of not, Target didn't actually ban the elderly or police from carrying in stores, though. We will have to see how this plays out.

Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    July 2, 2014

Unfortunately, Texas Open Carry activists and the evil statists funded by Bloomberg have accidentally worked together again to discourage person people from being safe. Don't get me wrong, I know the Texas people didn't want this to happen. They just set the stage and it likely wouldn't have happened (at least not at this time) without their efforts to document their carrying of rifles in Target. This is a major blew to the elderly, single mothers and if the blog post is actually correct, even the police.

That's correct, the CEO of Target is convinced that single women, the disabled and the elderly shouldn't be able to follow the law to defend themselves from being attacked by males. Of not, Target didn't actually ban the elderly or police from carrying in stores, though. We will have to see how this plays out.
    Weren't you just saying in another thread that private groups (and businesses?) should be able to ban whatever and whomever they like? If you don't support what Target is doing here, shop at Walmart instead. As a private business, doesn't Target have the right to ban firearms from their stores?

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Weren't you just saying in another thread that private groups (and businesses?) should be able to ban whatever and whomever they like? If you don't support what Target is doing here, shop at Walmart instead. As a private business, doesn't Target have the right to ban firearms from their stores?
    Yes, Target has the right to do that. Plus, I'm not even sure if this is a ban. It might just be a way of asking people that care about self-defense to shop at other places. Nevertheless, this does make the world a more dangerous place.

I respect Target's right to ban men, young people, police, gun owners or whomever from it's private property. I'm also glad the CEO of Target told gun owners that he doesn't want their business. Nevertheless, this still hurts the people of America and I'm not happy about it.

As for shopping at competitors instead of Target, I already do that. I find the prices to be better at Walmart, Market Basket, the dollar store and so on.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Fair enough.

I agree that this makes the world more dangerous, but in a world where people sue a restaurant because the person put a very hot cup of coffee between his legs while driving, I'm sure Target is thinking of their own liability in the case of an accidental shooting. I can't really blame them.

I don't blame them either. They don't want their customers to be alarmed. People walking around the store with military-style rifles alarms many people. Did the guys with the rifles think it through? Did they think everyone would be fine with it? Were they trying to make friends or trying to be "in your face" bullies? If they thought about it and decided this stunt would make friends for open carry, they aren't too bright.

If the goal is to get the public comfortable with the sight of armed citizens, I fully approve, but this was NOT the way to do it. Desensitization requires that you start small and work up. The science of curing phobia is actually well established. If a person is afraid of snakes, for example, you might start by telling them that there is a snake in the next room or showing them a drawing of a snake and working your way up from there. You don't sneak up and throw a boa constrictor on them.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Add Target to the safe places to rob.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

these are :

A) ignorant ,arrogant, irresponsible gun owners

B) planted to spark an uproar against open carry

Seeing this...

alarms me more than this...

Will target address my concerns in the same manner?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    My take on the Target announcement is that it doesn't make a distinction between police officers and non-police officers.

The way I understand this is that the people of Texas that wish to open carry HANDGUNS, have taken to open carrying RIFLES, possibly hoping this will help them to get the laws changed to allow them to open carry HANDGUNS.

It seems that it has had an opposite effect as more businesses are banning guns in their stores period since RIFLES are soooooooooooo scary and assault-y.

Also, these policies are extending outside of Texas as well. These Texas folks are hurting folks in other states. I wonder if they have helped their cause any?

Seeing this...

alarms me more than this...

In case you are not aware of it, YOU are a TINY minority. The vast majority, who out-vote you time and time and time again, do NOT feel the way you do. If these jokers were putting on a display for you, then they were preaching to the choir. If they were putting on a show for the vast majority who do not share your comfort level and who can easily vote to ban firearms over your objection, then they are dimwits to think this would help matters at all.

Scaring people is a dangerous business. It makes them act irrationally. It takes an expert to manipulate a frightened crowd in a certain direction, and even then it is risky.
    Last edited by Acala; 07-02-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    In case you are not aware of it, YOU are a TINY minority. The vast majority, who out-vote you time and time and time again, do NOT feel the way you do. If these jokers were putting on a display for you, then they were preaching to the choir. If they were putting on a show for the vast majority who do not share your comfort level and who can easily vote to ban firearms over your objection, then they are dimwits to think this would help matters at all.

Scaring people is a dangerous business. It makes them act irrationally. It takes an expert to manipulate a frightened crowd in a certain direction, and even then it is risky.
    Ah, the beauty of a democratic majority. And the truth of truths is that the dimwits that are the majority are going to eventually ban all guns everywhere. Whether one open carries or not. As they have been brainwashed to do. It's inevitable. Exercise your rights when and where you can. Boycott establishments that seek to limit your rights within their properties.

Ah, the beauty of a democratic majority. And the truth of truths is that the dimwits that are the majority are going to eventually ban all guns everywhere. Whether one open carries or not. As they have been brainwashed to do. It's inevitable. Exercise your rights when and where you can. Boycott establishments that seek to limit your rights within their properties.
    Gun owners have been winning most of their battles recently. Carry laws have improved dramatically over the last ten years. And with a few exceptions, the gun banners had their asses handed to them after Sandy Hook. So it really doesn't seem like the time to abandon trying to educate and make friends with the majority.

Gun owners have been winning most of their battles recently. Carry laws have improved dramatically over the last ten years. And with a few exceptions, the gun banners had their asses handed to them after Sandy Hook. So it really doesn't seem like the time to abandon trying to educate and make friends with the majority.
    The legislative battles are doing great outside of CA, CO, CT, MA, NJ and NY (I think) but the company battles are mostly loses. But I think Starbucks, California Pizza Kitchen, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chipotle, Jack the Box, Sonic, Chili’s now Target have since 2009 either asked customers to not bring guns or banned the practice. Many of these companies did this after Bloomberg funded Moms Demand Action. MDA used photos from Texas Open Carry to scare people, and the statist media went along with it.

The end result is that for the average citizen in a state with decent gun laws, things are more restrictive then they were just a few years ago. We are losing the PR battle and it is costing us our freedom. Because of the Texas Open Carry activists, the people of TX should gain the ability to open carry handguns in 2015 (I big win) but even in TX, the number of places that people are allowed to carry has shrunk. There is a good chance that the list will continue to shrink

The legislative battles are doing great outside of CA, CO, CT, MA, NJ and NY (I think) but the company battles are mostly loses. But I think Starbucks, California Pizza Kitchen, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chipotle, Jack the Box, Sonic, Chili’s now Target have since 2009 either asked customers to not bring guns or banned the practice. Many of these companies did this after Bloomberg funded Moms Demand Action. MDA used photos from Texas Open Carry to scare people, and the statist media went along with it.

The end result is that for the average citizen in a state with decent gun laws, things are more restrictive then they were just a few years ago. We are losing the PR battle and it is costing us our freedom. Because of the Texas Open Carry activists, the people of TX should gain the ability to open carry handguns in 2015 (I big win) but even in TX, the number of places that people are allowed to carry has shrunk. There is a good chance that the list will continue to shrink
    How many of these instances of businesses banning guns followed a stunt like the one at Target? Really, if the the anti-gunners didn't think of this themselves they must be laughing their asses off.

July 2, 2014

Target CEO made the following announcement,
    "Attention would-be mass-murderers and active shooters... effective immediately ALL target stores will now be composed of helpless, defenseless, unarmed sheep. Should you choose to commit mass murder in one of our many gun-free zones, please keep the number of dead to a minimum, if possible. Thank you for your patronage."
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We're winning? How many threads have we had the discussion, wherein those of us old enough to remember, about taking guns to schools during hunting season and how it was the norm? Two generations more and guns will be gone.

You are not losing a "PR" battle. You are losing an indoctrination battle. 7 generations ago almost every man went armed everywhere. Now carrying arms is shunned, banned and outlawed. 2 more generations and they will be nothing but an anachronism from a barbarous time.

We're winning?
    Sure we are.

There have been new rifle designs to compensate for the new laws.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Sure we are.

There have been new rifle designs to compensate for the new laws.

@winningtehwaronselfdefense....

An update to the story. Kory, one of the guys in the above photo, open carried a gun while shopping at Target today.

#fresh
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

I don't blame them either. They don't want their customers to be alarmed. People walking around the store with military-style rifles alarms many people. Did the guys with the rifles think it through? Did they think everyone would be fine with it? Were they trying to make friends or trying to be "in your face" bullies? If they thought about it and decided this stunt would make friends for open carry, they aren't too bright.

If the goal is to get the public comfortable with the sight of armed citizens, I fully approve, but this was NOT the way to do it. Desensitization requires that you start small and work up. The science of curing phobia is actually well established. If a person is afraid of snakes, for example, you might start by telling them that there is a snake in the next room or showing them a drawing of a snake and working your way up from there. You don't sneak up and throw a boa constrictor on them.
    Man, do I ever agree. These guys were dumbasses to do this.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

An update to the story. Kory, one of the guys in the above photo, open carried a gun while shopping at Target today.

PS. and the day before he posted a video of eating in Chipotle's while OC, (with noone around annoyed or upset and the staff welcoming)

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What do all the panties wetting progressives do when they visit Israel and routinely see teenage girls carrying around fully automatic sub-machine guns while shopping?

These idiots walking around with long rifles thinking they're making a statement do absolutely nothing to help us out and plenty to hurt us. I carry concealed everywhere I go, but were I trying to make a statement by open carrying, I would do it while well dressed, clean shaven, and maintaining a generally well kept appearance. I wouldn't do it with a long rifle while looking like I just emerged from my parent's basement after a 2 year binge on dungeons and dragons, people aren't ready for that yet. While all of us would love to achieve total liberty tomorrow, it's not going to happen that way. We have to move the bar incrementally. I think the majority of us around here possess the mental fortitude to understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyjam View Post
    PS. and the day before he posted a video of eating in Chipotle's while OC, (with noone around annoyed or upset and the staff welcoming)
    Pretty interesting since, according to the Texas government, it is against the law to open carry any firearm in a place that serves alcohol in Texas. Kory was purposing breaking the law knowing that because of the video that the Chipotle location may now lose it's license to sell alcohol. I have no idea why he or anyone else would do that. It is extremely rude, to say the least. And it's damning that he is actually sharing a video of him doing so...

Edit: If Kory did this with a black powered gun, I might be wrong. For one thing, I should have looked at the video (which I still haven't seen) before I posted the comment.

BTW, that still doesn't mean I support giving my money to stores that have made it 100% clear that they want all of their customers to be defenseless targets for criminals. But Kory has the right to support such pro-criminal stores. Well, again, I haven't see the video so I don't even know if he bought any food there.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 07-03-2014 at 11:54 AM.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Great, now I feel old. But on that same note, my gun nut friend out in CA tells me that "shooting is the new bowling" that nearly everybody he and his wife run into at the ranges are married couples, with kids and the whole nuclear family thing going on. so maybe we are due for an upswing...
    I suck at bowling but shoot very well . I already , never shop at Target .

Pretty interesting since, according to the Texas government, it is against the law to open carry any firearm in a place that serves alcohol in Texas. Kory was purposing breaking the law knowing that because of the video that the Chipotle location may now lose it's license to sell alcohol. I have no idea why he or anyone else would do that. It is extremely rude, to say the least. And it's damning that he is actually sharing a video of him doing so...
    You must not be a CHL holder in Texas then, as there is no such statute under Texas law and was just another distraction talking point made up by the aforementioned progressives in daily Kos.

a) the statutes for carrying in an ABC business are for those that derive more than 51% of revenue from alcohol sales and must have appropriate signage, the 51% sign and statute, and
    b) specifically only pertain to handguns.
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u.../htm/PE.46.htm
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...104.htm#104.06
    http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/30.06.00.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast