Thread: Atlas Shrugged TV show announced (almost officially). Also, DVD trilogy available for $9.96

Atlas Shrugged TV show announced (almost officially). Also, DVD trilogy available for $9.96

http://www.galtsgulchonline.com/post...+weigh-in+now_

At the start of the year, _Atlas Shrugged_ Producer John Aglialoro hinted at the potential for an _Atlas Shrugged_ mini-series ( http://www.galtsgulchonline.com/posts/1e... ). Last week, John made a trip to Hollywood and met with... some very interested MAJOR players.

How does a full blown television series sound!?

Yep. It's really happening. We can't say too much just yet, but suffice it to say, John's meetings in Hollywood were VERY productive and the groups we're talking to are incredibly enthusiastic and ready to move mountains to make it happen. We should hopefully have something official to announce within the next few weeks so stay tuned.
    As for the DVD trilogy, it's available in store at walmart for $9.96

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Part II image you posted has "Sean Hannity extended segment"? That would be a turn off.

What is political ideology of people/financiers behind this productuion.. do they support or oppose neoconism/swcbaggery, tax payers funded foreign occupations/oppressions etc?
    If it makes you feel any better Ron Paul is in part 3 (only part I haven't watched yet):
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...619-story.html
    Paul talks about what inspired him to join the project. "'Atlas Shrugged' has been a fantastic novel, a fantastic book, but it's much more than a story, of course," he says. "It made me stop and think and assess all my beliefs and principles."

It is good that they have broad spectrum of people featured with conflicting policy views. But for me to support/boycott this production would depend on answer to the Q I posed.
    Many hollywood productions profiteers lately have been supporting occupations/oppressions abroad that warrants boycott imo.

What is political ideology of people/financiers behind this productuion.. do they support or oppose neoconism/swcbaggery, tax payers funded foreign occupations/oppressions etc?

Way to get a good deal on that reduced bakery!

I always thought that "Atlas Shrugged" should have really been made into a TV mini-series from the start.

John Aglialoro is the main guy behind these movies - if you want to judge his character you can watch or read the transcript of this interview:
    http://reason.com/archives/2014/09/0...ayn-rands-imp/

And yes, Wal Mart does have good sales on bakery items about to expire or overbaked - look for the rack somewhere in the food section (usually away from the from main bakery in my experience)

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    If it makes you feel any better Ron Paul is in part 3 (only part I haven't watched yet):
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...619-story.html
    Ah, Beck, Hannity, and Ron Paul, all appearing as themselves on air, implying that none of them would deserve invitations to Galt's Gulch, and that all are mouthpieces of the moochers.

Do people think critically abut anything any more?
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One of the worst books I've ever read. Its ham fisted attempts to make a bunch of characters with no personality or depth seem heroic were laughable. WHY is this the libertarian rallying cry? Everyone else who isn't blinded by the fact that the book agrees with their personal ideology can see that it's a piece of crap, and every time it's brought up, reasonable people are reminded that 'libertarians are crazy'. I can understand why.

And the movies were even worse.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

I haven't seen part 3 yet.

I liked 1&2 so far.

But I can't see how there is enough audience to support a TV series. The movies were total bombs at the box office. They had to scale back and recast for the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I always thought that "Atlas Shrugged" should have really been made into a TV mini-series from the start.
    Agreed.

Done right, it could be a fantastic (and influential) production.

The book is practically designed for this, being comprised of 3 parts with 10 chapters each, with a defined arc and pacing.

It should be done in black and white, and retain the novel's "timeless" stance as not taking place at some defined point in history or time, but rather occupy its own unique, self-contained and self-consistent place as an "alternate history". In particular, that would allow the story to be told without any updates to accommodate the changes in technology in the world since the story was written. The primacy of railroads in the story line and all the associated plot elements could be retained.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    One of the worst books I've ever read. Its ham fisted attempts to make a bunch of characters with no personality or depth seem heroic were laughable. WHY is this the libertarian rallying cry? Everyone else who isn't blinded by the fact that the book agrees with their personal ideology can see that it's a piece of crap, and every time it's brought up, reasonable people are reminded that 'libertarians are crazy'. I can understand why.

And the movies were even worse.
    It is thinly veiled political philosophy; it is political philosophy wearing pasties and calling itself fiction. The characters and the story don't matter... it's the meat between the two slices of bread. It wasn't intended to be a good book, with good characters and a good story. It was meant to convey a political philosophy to a wider audience. And on that point, it was tremendous.

I don't particularly care for Ayn Rand nor for Objectivism. But Atlas Shrugged was instrumental - a watershed, even - in my personal evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Part II image you posted has "Sean Hannity extended segment"? That would be a turn off.

Ayn Rand herself was virulently in favor of American intervention during the Cold War. Leonard Peikoff (Rand's handpicked successor) was cheerleading for war in Iran after 9/11, and said he didn't care if the US nuked the place.

Ayn Rand was a lousy philosopher and a bad writer who wrote some overwrought, preachy books decades ago. She was an intellectually deleterious influence on Murray Rothbard and the libertarian movement as a whole.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Holy $#@!! that's cheap! I love WalMart, but I didn't know they'd have this!

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    It is thinly veiled political philosophy; it is political philosophy wearing pasties and calling itself fiction. The characters and the story don't matter... it's the meat between the two slices of bread. It wasn't intended to be a good book, with good characters and a good story. It was meant to convey a political philosophy to a wider audience. And on that point, it was tremendous.

I don't particularly care for Ayn Rand nor for Objectivism. But Atlas Shrugged was instrumental - a watershed, even - in my personal evolution.
    It could have been 5 pages then.

As I read it I kept thinking I'd get to the part that changed everyone's lives but failed to find it after all those dense pages.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

...As I read it I kept thinking I'd get to the part that changed everyone's lives but failed to find it after all those dense pages.
    The "Money Speech" is one of them.

Read it here:

http://capitalismmagazine.com/2002/0...-money-speech/

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by francisco View Post
    The "Money Speech" is one of them.

Read it here:

http://capitalismmagazine.com/2002/0...-money-speech/
    That is some truly terrible writing.

As I read it I kept thinking I'd get to the part that changed everyone's lives but failed to find it after all those dense pages.
    yeah, I agree with your reaction as I felt the same way. I think it is a love it or hate it sort of book with very little who are unopinionated after dedicating themselves to, imo, suffer through reading it. I think I expected so much after the positive chatter I heard that I set too high of an expectation for it. The characters are dreadful and having already understand the philosophy being preached, to a mind numbing extent, it was not inspiring or enlightening, at least to me.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    That is some truly terrible writing.
    Your opinion.

I most definitely disagree. I think it is a masterful statement. I'm not the only one who thinks that, but that's the beauty of a free society, we can respectfully disagree with one another.

Just out of curiosity, are you disparaging only the aesthetics of the writing, or the intellectual content as well?

Quote Originally Posted by francisco View Post
    Your opinion.

I most definitely disagree. I think it is a masterful statement. I'm not the only one who thinks that, but that's the beauty of a free society, we can respectfully disagree with one another.

Just out of curiosity, are you disparaging only the aesthetics of the writing, or the intellectual content as well?
    I do have problems with the content, but it's mainly the style of writing. I just don't find it acceptable to have a piece of dialogue that is two dozen paragraphs long and - incidentally - sounds absolutely nothing like how anyone actually speaks. I don't know the context, but it's clear that it's an exchange between two individuals. No conversation has ever sounded remotely like this. It's not a stylistic choice, using odd, unnatural sounding dialogue (like in Don DeLillo's Cosmopolis, for example), it's just plain inept prose. That's nothing compared to Galt's speech, which was what, seventy $#@!ing pages? Ye Gods.

It's fine to make a piece of fiction that has a message (though I absolutely despise preachy books and films), but it has to be a good experience that can be appreciated separate from its tenets. Atlas Shrugged does absolutely nothing for anyone who doesn't agree with its message. I have never met a single fan of the novel that didn't also count Rand as an ideological influence. One can read Orwell or Huxley and enjoy the novel and understand the message without having to agree with the writer's opinions or feel like you've been inundated with endless diatribes establishing the same main point over and over and over and over again. I understand Rand's point by page 100 (at the latest), but there's still another thousand pages to go.
    Last edited by ThePaleoLibertarian; 03-23-2015 at 01:20 AM.

Atlas Shrugged is without a doubt, the most overrated book within the liberty movement. It's ridiculously bad.

Likely, it matters where in your own journey you were at the time. In high school, I read - at best - half of our assigned literature. I did read Ayn Rand (Anthem, Atlas Shrugged, Fountainhead, We the Living, with most of her published nonfiction inbetween).

I may have been born with a liberty gene, but people like Ayn Rand accelerated the process.
    Last edited by The Free Hornet; 03-23-2015 at 01:34 AM.