Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did A&E violate section 7 of the Civil Rights Act?

Did A&E violate section 7 of the Civil Rights Act?

(not debating whether we should even have such an act)

A&E Violated section 7 of the civil rights act: EC. 2000e-2. [Section 703]

(a) Employer practices

It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer -

(1) to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; or

(2) to limit, segregate, or classify his employees or applicants for employment in any way which would deprive or tend to deprive any individual of employment opportunities or otherwise adversely affect his status as an employee, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    SURE LOOKS LIKE IT

(but hes not black and u cant apply civil rights to white people /sarc)
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I think the guy was expressing a religious belief(not even on work hours), and was fired because of it.

He was fired because he is a heterosexual that believes in the bible.
    He was fired for no other reason(s).
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

And then the question of what exactly entails "Religious" speech comes up, inevitably. What counts? Who can decide?

A + E would probably argue the same way the New Mexico courts argued, that it wasn't about the cakemakers religious beliefs, but his "Duty not to offend" or something like that.

I think the OP is correct. This is religious discrimination. I also think its absolutely hopeless to try to make sense out of a law like this. I attend a Baptist church, are we "discriminating" if we refuse to hire a paedobaptist... or for that matter, a non-Christian, as our pastor?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

He is probably a contractor, not an employee.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Come to think of it, what if he had said something like "My religion teaches that gays should be thrown in an oven" or something like that. I'd agree with the firing if he said something like that, but it would still be a violation of the CRA... it seems like.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    I think the guy was expressing a religious belief(not even on work hours), and was fired because of it.

He was fired because he is a heterosexual that believes in the bible.
    He was fired for no other reason(s).
    You're absolutely right.

I read an article this guy was saying that he thought Phil and his handlers will come to their senses and issue an apology due to how much money is at stake. I thought dude you must not know these fellas, don't see that happening.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich34 View Post
    You're absolutely right.

I read an article this guy was saying that he thought Phil and his handlers will come to their senses and issue an apology due to how much money is at stake. I thought dude you must not know these fellas, don't see that happening.
    The duck guys don't need A&E anyway. They can do their thing on almost any network. A&E can be replaced, the duck boys can't.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hahahaha!

The Civil Rights Act defending the rights of white heterosexual Christians?

That's hilarious.

Remember, all races, religions, personal beliefs, and sexual orientations are equal, but some are more equal than others.

So suddenly RPF thinks the CRA matters because a white Christian is under attack? Oh the double standard.

A&E should be able to dump his ass for any reason they want to. The fact that he happens to be a moronic hick has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by robmpreston View Post
    So suddenly RPF thinks the CRA matters because a white Christian is under attack? Oh the double standard.

A&E should be able to dump his ass for any reason they want to. The fact that he happens to be a moronic hick has nothing to do with it.
    True. I don't like that section of the CRA Act, but as long as it is legal, double standards can and should be pointed out, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    SURE LOOKS LIKE IT

(but hes not black and u cant apply civil rights to white people /sarc)
    Complete nonsense, black sports stars are fired all the time for saying stupid $#@! on twitter/press etc etc. Phil wasn't fired because of his religion, he was fired for saying ignorant things about gay people This idea that only white people are fired for expressing their opinion is just not true. Just because you don't see doesn't mean it never happens.

Then again, this shouldn't even be an issue around here since we are all supposed to believe in private property. The other day, we were all up in arms because ACLU brought a discrimination lawsuit against a bakery for refusing to offer his services to a gay couple, now we want to do the same to A&E network. Whatever happened to the good ole boycott technique?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Complete nonsense, black sports stars are fired all the time for saying stupid $#@! on twitter/press etc etc. Phil wasn't fired because of his religion, he was fired for saying ignorant things about gay people This idea that only white people are fired for expressing their opinion is just not true. Just because you don't see doesn't mean it never happens.

Then again, this shouldn't even be an issue around here since we are all supposed to believe in private property. The other day, we were all up in arms because ACLU brought a discrimination lawsuit against a bakery for refusing to offer his services to a gay couple, now we want to do the same to A&E network. Whatever happened to the good ole boycott technique?
    True, I agree with you on the boycott technique. I just personally like to point out the hypocrisy in this part of the law.

I saw a post (with a picture) on FB the other day, said something like "If you don't want to hear what a person in the backwoods of ... has to say about something, don't ask". Was appropriate.

I'm assuming it was on purpose for a purpose that is serving it's purpose very well.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

i think we are pointing out that the "civil" rights (ha) act is bull$#@! BECAUSE it DOES NOT APPLY TO WHITES (and yes , "people" actually say that and MEAN IT)
    what happened to equal protection under the law?
    the CRA did thats what...

FUK
    A&E

they discriminated based on his personal religious beliefs
    they choose sides
    now they can eat the $#@! sandwich entree
    but thats ok , they like ass

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

i think we are pointing out that the "civil" rights (ha) act is bull$#@! BECAUSE it DOES NOT APPLY TO WHITES (and yes , "people" actually say that and MEAN IT)
    what happened to equal protection under the law?
    the CRA did thats what...

FUK
    A&E

they discriminated based on his personal religious beliefs
    they choose sides
    now they can eat the $#@! sandwich entree
    but thats ok , they like ass
    This forum is supposed to be full of enlightened libertarian types.

Yet you sit here and act like typical MSM sheeple, dumbing down an issue to "HERP DERP HE WAS FIRED FOR BEING A WHITE CHRISTIAN! AMERICAS WAR ON CHRISTIANITY CONTINUES!"

Nobody gives two $#@!s if he is Christian or Muslim or what. They care that he represents their network and he spouted off ignorant redneck BS. How hard is that to understand?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bull$#@!
    he was fired BECAUSE HE IS A CHRISTIAN and will not bow down to the adversary...

"This forum is supposed to be full of enlightened libertarian types."
    is that an appeal to emotion, or is your agenda showing?

"Nobody gives two $#@!s if he is Christian or Muslim or what."
    yes, they do

" ignorant redneck BS. How hard is that to understand? "

free speech is what?

i dont understand why YOU dont understand that this man is being silenced BY THE SAME ENEMY WE FIGHT HERE EVERY $#@!ING DAY
    WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON

Baptiste said.

This forum is supposed to be full of enlightened libertarian types.

Yet you sit here and act like typical MSM sheeple, dumbing down an issue to "HERP DERP HE WAS FIRED FOR BEING A WHITE CHRISTIAN! AMERICAS WAR ON CHRISTIANITY CONTINUES!"

Nobody gives two $#@!s if he is Christian or Muslim or what. They care that he represents their network and he spouted off ignorant redneck BS. How hard is that to understand?
    Unfortunately, it's not. See the forum Mission Statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot99 View Post
    Hahahaha!

That's hilarious.

Remember, all races, religions, personal beliefs, and sexual orientations are equal, but some are more equal than others.
    Or, as I like to put it, people who talk about "tolerance" automatically contradict themselves because they refuse to tolerate the intolerant. (Of course, they confuse tolerance and acceptance, but that's another issue.)

See the OP. I don't think anyone here is actually supporting this stupid law. Just pointing out that its hypocritical not to apply it in this case, since it does exist.

I don't even think it should be applied in this case. Sometimes doing the right thing is better than never doing the right thing. But anyone who actually supports the law and yet doesn't want it applied here is a double-standard holding idiot.

That said, while A + E should have the right to fire him, I see nothing wrong with what he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    What he said wasn't ignorant, it was a moral position, and one that was quite frankly correct.

No, we don't want to do anything to A + E, we're just logically dissecting the liberal double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not. See the forum Mission Statement.
    Not all libertarians are anarchists. And I say that as someone who is both. I think torch is as well.

I can almost guarantee there is a clause in his contract that allows them to fire him regardless of the CRA.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I also think its absolutely hopeless to try to make sense out of a law like this.
    FF is correct. Section 7 of the Civil Rights Act means whatever the "system" wants it to mean - and nothing else.
    You may imagine that you can "interpret" the "correct" meaning & application of the law just by reading it and applying logic and reason.
    If so, you are wrong. There is no correct meaning or application.

The law "means" whatever will serve the immediate purposes & interests of those in charge of "interpreting" it.
    Logic, reason, and the plain meaning of words are utterly irrelevant.
    Just look at the US Constitution. It's written in plain English - yet we are told that it needs to be "interpreted" for us.
    Laws should never need to be "interpreted." When they do need to be, you've got a big, red flag waving in your face ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I think liberals have made such a loud racket over political correctness and gay rights that most any business feels that offending gays is going to ruin them.

Some may think this harsh, but the American people don't really care about gay rights.

When you can't get the American people to care about being indefinitely detained without charges, or being stripped naked to board a plane, or that a cop kills a mentally retarded kid every day in this country without so much as a shoulder-shrug in response, or that they can't call grandma to wish her a merry Christmas without some eavesdropping NSA agent trying to determine whether there's a terroristic plot in the message, no, A&E's actions are quite the over-reaction. No one cares about the gays, and gay people probably don't watch duck dynasty anyway.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 12-20-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

bull$#@!
    he was fired BECAUSE HE IS A CHRISTIAN and will not bow down to the adversary...

"This forum is supposed to be full of enlightened libertarian types."
    is that an appeal to emotion, or is your agenda showing?

"Nobody gives two $#@!s if he is Christian or Muslim or what."
    yes, they do

" ignorant redneck BS. How hard is that to understand? "

free speech is what?

i dont understand why YOU dont understand that this man is being silenced BY THE SAME ENEMY WE FIGHT HERE EVERY $#@!ING DAY
    WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON
    Heh, there's no reasoning with "WAR ON CHRISTIANITY" crazies like you. You're wrong. Tons of public figures have been fired and lost endorsements for this kind of $#@! before. Shh.

Heh, there's no reasoning with "WAR ON CHRISTIANITY" crazies like you. You're wrong. Tons of public figures have been fired and lost endorsements for this kind of $#@! before. Shh.
    When someone gets fired on their own show for agreeing with Christian teachings, there is a war on Christianity.
    Stop believing stupid things

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    When someone gets fired on their own show for agreeing with Christian teachings, there is a war on Christianity.
    He got fired for being a monkey brained ignorant redneck moron who spouted some extremely offensive bull$#@!. A&E has an interest in protecting their reputation, and with the outrage over it of course they are going to can him.

Can't believe this forum is filled with so many people who think two consenting adults engaging in a sexual relationship is on the level of murdering someone or raping a child. Sick bastards.

He got fired for being a monkey brained ignorant redneck moron who spouted some extremely offensive bull$#@!. A&E has an interest in protecting their reputation, and with the outrage over it of course they are going to can him.
    It offended a very small number of people. Whenever I'm offended it doesn't appear on the news, but when a gay person gets offended the MSM covers it ad-naseum. A&E firing Phil caused more outrage than Phil's comments did. It was a really dumb move for the network. The general populace doesn't seem to be divided on this issue, the support for Phil is overwhelming.
    Stop believing stupid things

What ever you do, don't mention the Bible calls 'something' a sin, those who are doing that 'something' will become offended if they find out you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot99 View Post
    Hahahaha!

That's hilarious.

I don't mind applying a person or organizations own standards against themselves.
    i don't like the cra personally.

Can't believe this forum is filled with so many people who think two consenting adults engaging in a sexual relationship is on the level of murdering someone or raping a child. Sick bastards.
    I am offended by you calling Phil Robertson a redneck. I demand your employer fire you.

He got fired for being a monkey brained ignorant redneck moron who spouted some extremely offensive bull$#@!..
    You any relation to Al Sharpton?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast