Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the Wars Ever, Ever End?

Will the Wars Ever, Ever End?

Thanks, Sainsbury.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sure, at right about the time of human extinction or the end of governments; whichever comes first..

When we run out of money. When we've been squeezed completely dry and there's nothing left. Then the barbarians will sack us, ensuing a 500 year dark age followed by a Renaissance of liberty and the ascendancy of a deserving people. We just won't be around to see it.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Thanks for this. Brought tears to my eyes.

The wars will end when individual human beings master their own unconscious emotional drives.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Wow! Thank you for sharing! I wish more people knew about the "Christmas truce" of 1914. Had this spread and the soldiers on both sides rejected their politicians the world really would have become "safe for democracy" and that would have been a "war to end all wars". Instead the Germans were demonized and humiliated in the Treaty of Versailles setting the stage for World War II which set the state for the Cold War which set the stage for the Global War on Terror which is setting the stage for Armageddon.

Note the hymn they play after "Silent Night" is "What a fellowship...what a joy divine...leaning on the everlasting arms."
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    "People talk peace, but men give their life's work to war. It won't stop 'til there is as much brains and scientific study put to aid peace as there is to promote war."--Will Rogers 1929
    Will Rogers also said that if you take diplomacy out of war, the thing will fall flat in a week. I say the same will happen if you can find a way to take the profits out of war...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Very moving. Of course, you can't please everyone.

"Christmas Truce" supermarket ad causes kerfuffle in UK
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...erfuffle-in-UK
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

Great, Happy Holidays.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Will the Wars Ever, Ever End?
    From "War Making and Class Conflict": http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Class-Conflict
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Salerno
    Thus, a permanent state of war or preparedness for war is optimal from the point of view of the ruling elite, especially one that controls a large and powerful state. Take the current US government as an example. It rules over a relatively populous, wealthy, and progressive economy from which it can extract ever larger boodles of loot without destroying the productive class. Nevertheless, it is subject to the real and abiding fear that sooner or later productive Americans will come to recognize the continually increasing burden of taxation, inflation, and regulation for what it really is — naked exploitation. So the US government, the most powerful mega-state in history, is driven by the very logic of the political relationship to pursue a policy of permanent war.

From "The War to Make the World Safe for Democracy" to "The War to End All Wars" to "The Cold War" and on to the current "War on Terror," the wars fought by US rulers in the twentieth century have progressed from episodic wars restricted to well-defined theaters and enemies to a war without spatial or temporal bounds against an incorporeal enemy named "Terror." A more appropriate name for this neoconservative-contrived war would involve a simple change in the preposition to a "War of Terror" — because the American state is terrified of productive, work-a-day Americans, who may someday awaken and put an end to its massive predations on their lives and property and maybe to the American ruling class itself.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

starting, or stopping wars is in our DNA...

i'm not seeing any relief from the mindset in the near future...

yay...more war...

afterall, as we alll know, war is a jobs program...

That was a beautiful piece! I always liked the legends of that truce. A great illustration of how the regular people don't want war, and generally get along well when left alone (rational self-interest) -it is the State that thrives on warfare. :P

Anyway, WRT the OP...it's cliche, but only the dead have seen the end of war. It would take something massive that I couldn't even imagine to get States to stop warring with each other-using other people for cannon fodder and strongmen, of course.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 11-19-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Very moving. Of course, you can't please everyone.

"Christmas Truce" supermarket ad causes kerfuffle in UK
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...erfuffle-in-UK
    Some people are just plain evil and worship war as a god.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    It would take something massive that I couldn't even imagine to get States to stop warring with each other-using other people for cannon fodder and strongmen, of course.
    It would likewise take something massive and inconceivable to convince mice to stop eating human food they find laying around. Yet, somehow, none of the food in my home is being eaten by mice (as far as I know!).

You can't change the mice, but you can clear them out.

The monopoly state is intrinsically tied up in war, true. The best and only solution is to clear out the monopoly state from your society.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    That was a beautiful piece! I always liked the legends of that truce. A great illustration of how the regular people don't want war, and generally get along well when left alone (rational self-interest) -it is the State that thrives on warfare. :P

Anyway, WRT the OP...it's cliche, but only the dead have seen the end of war. It would take something massive that I couldn't even imagine to get States to stop warring with each other-using other people for cannon fodder and strongmen, of course.
    BILLIONS of folks every day aren't warring.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for your reply, Occam! I hadn't seen that you beat me to it posting this vid, but I should have known.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Nevertheless, it is subject to the real and abiding fear that sooner or later productive Americans will come to recognize the continually increasing burden of taxation, inflation, and regulation for what it really is — naked exploitation. So the US government, the most powerful mega-state in history, is driven by the very logic of the political relationship to pursue a policy of permanent war.
    So the state is driven to make war in order to buttress its legitimacy. Make it look like they're doing something useful. I think there's something to that. Sad that war is so popular today that engaging in war could be a public relations tool. Making war should decrease your reputation, not increase it.

Hoppe also puts forth the very interesting theory, and I think it's true, about freer countries being more aggressive militarily. The freer a country is, internally, the richer they become, and that means more resources at the state's disposal, and that means it will be able to soundly whip its more repressive totalitarian neighbors. So, freedom internally leads to bellicosity externally in foreign policy.

So another very important reason why the US makes so much war, and one more important than the "war as a PR stunt" reason that Salerno brings up, is this: The US makes war because it can win.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    It would likewise take something massive and inconceivable to convince mice to stop eating human food they find laying around. Yet, somehow, none of the food in my home is being eaten by mice (as far as I know!).

You can't change the mice, but you can clear them out.

The monopoly state is intrinsically tied up in war, true. The best and only solution is to clear out the monopoly state from your society.
    War existed before the monopoly state. The North American Indians were in a state of nearly perpetual war with each other even though they were largely governed by consensus and non-coercive governments.

Our governments are not some kind of entity imposed upon us from without. They are a projection of what we are as individuals. There can be no top-down solution. There will be no change until we change as individuals, and then the top will change without effort.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Not a chance... and government(s), shadow elites, and their corporate bribers/campaign donors, executive job openings for politicians and generals, will always be there to; incite war, incite people/groups against one another, incite conflict, reciprocate self profits/wealth and control/power. Subversion, by the few that control the entire show, have always been the operations of those in power.

NOT A CHANCE

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 11-19-2014 at 12:02 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    War existed before the monopoly state.
    Yes, but not like afterwards, not like today. Regardless, as libertarians we are in no way just trying to "turn back the clock" and go back to primitive tribalism, nor to 1800s America, nor anywhere else in history, despite what our enemies may think.

If we were to eliminate the monopoly state in the way in which I would like, I believe warfare would necessarily become much more difficult, rare, and small-scale.

The world has never been without some war going on someplace.

War existed before the monopoly state. The North American Indians were in a state of nearly perpetual war with each other even though they were largely governed by consensus and non-coercive governments.

Our governments are not some kind of entity imposed upon us from without. They are a projection of what we are as individuals. There can be no top-down solution. There will be no change until we change as individuals, and then the top will change without effort.
    Yes, but there was not Total War until the rise of The State (especially the modern State). I submit to you that governments are imposed from without. No one in their right mind would consent to be governed by any State currently in existence. Further, all regimes are created by a relatively small part of any given society. Your final point is right, though. As long as most hands prop up leviathan, it will not topple easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    Not a chance... and government(s), shadow elites, and their corporate bribers/campaign donors, executive job openings for politicians and generals, will always be there to; incite war, incite people/groups against one another, incite conflict, reciprocate self profits/wealth and control/power. Subversion, by the few that control the entire show, have always been the operations of those in power.

NOT A CHANCE

Wow! I didn't know this a full movie!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The most warlike Indians were the most "civilized". The nomadic Indians fought small skirmishes over resources. The statist Indians engaged in large scale campaigns to expand their empire and capture victims for human sacrifice.

Left to our own devices how many would travel thousands of miles to a foreign land to kill someone that hadn't done anything to us? The state focuses and magnifies our base desires by setting up mayhem and murder as a common goal. World War I is an extreme example of this. One terrorist kills a couple of royals and the whole world goes to war over it? Stupid. Just plain stupid. The U.S. could have stayed out of WW I if we had told the British "The only way we're shipping you anything is if you allow our ships through the blockade to Germany as well. You blockade Germany, we boycott you." WW I would have ended in 1915 and millions of lives could have been spared.

Great to see. And so encouraging to remember that this really happened. Just today I re-read the chapter of Market for Liberty titled The Abolition of War.

Will the Wars ever cease ? Probably not that I can imagine.

Today ,as gifts , I gave away; from Northern Alabama, some Archaic artifacts .Points so old they probably pre date the bow an arrow . One , clearly a spear point ( slightly damaged and probably not from hunting ), two others , quartz , one , probably a hunting projectile , the other , probably a fish spear . Another , from Mississippi , clearly a hunting point, the other , from Kentucky ,a serious spear point as well , most likely , never used for hunting meat .

Switzerland hasn't been in a war since 1848.

Outlaw the public ownership of weapons. Disarm the state. Stop the war.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Switzerland hasn't been in a war since 1848.

Outlaw the public ownership of weapons. Disarm the state. Stop the war.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast