Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NSA admits listening to U.S. phone calls without warrants (since they were already caught)

NSA admits listening to U.S. phone calls without warrants (since they were already caught)

National Security Agency discloses in secret Capitol Hill briefing that thousands of analysts can listen to domestic phone calls. That authorization appears to extend to e-mail and text messages too.

NSA director Keith Alexander says his agency's analysts, which until recently included Edward Snowden among their ranks, take protecting "civil liberties and privacy and the security of this nation to their heart every day."
    (Credit: Getty Images)

The National Security Agency has acknowledged in a new classified briefing that it does not need court authorization to listen to domestic phone calls.
    Rep. Jerrold Nadler, a New York Democrat, disclosed this week that during a secret briefing to members of Congress, he was told that the contents of a phone call could be accessed "simply based on an analyst deciding that."

If the NSA wants "to listen to the phone," an analyst's decision is sufficient, without any other legal authorization required, Nadler said he learned. "I was rather startled," said Nadler, an attorney who serves on the House Judiciary committee.

Not only does this disclosure shed more light on how the NSA's formidable eavesdropping apparatus works domestically, it suggests the Justice Department has secretly interpreted federal surveillance law to permit thousands of low-ranking analysts to eavesdrop on phone calls.

Because the same legal standards that apply to phone calls also apply to e-mail messages, text messages, and instant messages, Nadler's disclosure indicates the NSA analysts could also access the contents of Internet communications without going before a court and seeking approval.

The disclosure appears to confirm some of the allegations made by Edward Snowden, a former NSA infrastructure analyst who leaked classified documents to the Guardian. Snowden said in a video interview that, while not all NSA analysts had this ability, he could from Hawaii "wiretap anyone from you or your accountant to a federal judge to even the president."

There are serious "constitutional problems" with this approach, says Kurt Opsahl, a senior staff attorney at the Electronic Frontier Foundation who has litigated warrantless wiretapping cases. "It epitomizes the problem of secret laws."
    more, and internal links here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...hout-warrants/
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Having a secret audience during phone sex keeps us safer.

Hopefully this will put to rest the MSM "he's exaggerating" bull$#@!... (ya, I know. it won't.)
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Lets see what happens to Jerrold Nadler now...

Gee, didn't they screech that Snowden was lying about that?

NSA director Keith Alexander says his agency's analysts, which until recently included Edward Snowden among their ranks, take protecting "civil liberties and privacy and the security of this nation to their heart every day."
    They must think like Paul Ryan, they think they have to violate people's privacy in order to protect people's privacy.

This is the issue that should be not another news story, but a grave line in the sand. In other words if this just becomes a debate point we are drifting towards a state of pure boot in the face type of tyranny very very soon. Because the government will then feel it has nothing to fear from the people any longer. We may even see such craziness sprout out of D.C. right away.

Many of us have been crazy conspiracy theorists warning of things like this for a few decades.

"Our government would NEVER do that to us!" Waking up now, America? The slumber must have been relaxing.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Secret rules for the Secret Police.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan11 View Post
    This is the issue that should be not another news story, but a grave line in the sand. In other words if this just becomes a debate point we are drifting towards a state of pure boot in the face type of tyranny very very soon. Because the government will then feel it has nothing to fear from the people any longer. We may even see such craziness sprout out of D.C. right away.
    agreed
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

NSA prevents 7.5 terrorist attacks per violation of privacy.

I was informed today by a couple of Democrats that anything the government does is legal, by definition.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Amazing. so much for its only "metadata" bull$#@!.

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

Quote Originally Posted by ObiRandKenobi View Post
    I think you mean they commit 7.5 terrorist acts per violation of privacy.

I'm confused. Since the briefing to Nadler was "secret" and "classified", how is he less of a treasonous leaker than Snowden?
    Last edited by better-dead-than-fed; 06-15-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Has anyone heard personally of anyone waking up from hearing about this?

I believe this information is a planned leak, and I believe the story of homeland security agency and all the others buying up bullets is as well.

In fact, I believe these information leaks are part of a plan by the Powers that be, to create a new reality for most Americans to adjust to, so that now, any violations of our civil liberties are seen as normal, since these violations are increasing.

In a summary, since we the freedom fighters have and are getting the message out, they, The Powers that be, are getting ahead of us, so that individuals stop awakening on their own. If that makes sense to anyone. This is a paradigm changer and we need to think about this as a whole and get our two cents in and adjust accordingly with maybe our message or our actions, not quite sure.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Uh, I know a few people that aren't very political period, that are a little disturbed.

But, I am keeping an open eye on Snowden. Boundless Informant could have been a CPU flex by the US before Syria, cyber-sabre rattling, so to speak.

However, if one has read Sun Tzu, they would see any bluster as a sign of weakness. That why real Gangsta's never say $#@!, but pussy ass punks always bark a lot before a fight.

Fact is, the US know the best hackers come from India, Pakistan, Eastern Europe, China and Russia.
    Last edited by UWDude; 06-15-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ObiRandKenobi View Post
    Are you validating the violation of privacy? Why not just validate every violation of the Constitution our Govt has committed against its own people in the name of fighting terrorism!

14-Year-Old Refuses To Remove NRA T-Shirt, Faces 1 Year In Jail For 'Obstructing Officer'

Im sure the Founding Fathers would have whole heartedly supported the Officers actions in this case as well.

NOT!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I believe this information is a planned leak, and I believe the story of homeland security agency and all the others buying up bullets is as well.

In fact, I believe these information leaks are part of a plan by the Powers that be, to create a new reality for most Americans to adjust to, so that now, any violations of our civil liberties are seen as normal, since these violations are increasing.

In a summary, since we the freedom fighters have and are getting the message out, they, The Powers that be, are getting ahead of us, so that individuals stop awakening on their own. If that makes sense to anyone. This is a paradigm changer and we need to think about this as a whole and get our two cents in and adjust accordingly with maybe our message or our actions, not quite sure.

I have definitely considered it was planned. They watch everybody, so they were also watching each other especially close. They know who probably will leak info way before they ever leak anything. If it wasn't planned then I say Snowden has balls of steel, because what he did is essentially a death sentence. One reason for possibly leaking this isn't so much that they are spying on us, but that they want us to think that they have some sort of super spying powers that can break any level of encryption. They do not have those powers, they just want people to think that. Sure the HSD has tons of bullets now, but they only have so many people that can shoot them at once, we out gun them by a ridiculous amount. United we have no reason to fear the government and they have every reason to fear us.
    Last edited by RickyJ; 06-15-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Snowden has been redeemed.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    we out gun them by a ridiculous amount.
    Not even close... "we" have no solidarity whatsoever.
    Look at how asymmetric warfare is fought, there are the collaborators, and the revolutionaries.
    The "we" are divided, and will destroy themselves. While the "they" count their profits and die peaceful deaths in feathered beds and satin sheets between the four breasts of two women whose combined age is still half of "theirs".

Now is not the time for violence. I feel a sea change happening, it does feel like the tide is turning in the minds of the masses. "They" know that if they can't get a fight started soon, "they" are going to have to do something drastic.
    Last edited by UWDude; 06-15-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    I have definitely considered it was planned. They watch everybody, so they were also watching each other especially close. They know who probably will leak info way before they ever leak anything. If it wasn't planned then I say Snowden has balls of steel, because what he did is essentially a death sentence. One reason for possibly leaking this isn't so much that they are spying on us, but that they want us to think that they have some sort of super spying powers that can break any level of encryption. They do not have those powers, they just want people to think that. Sure the HSD has tons of bullets now, but they only have so many people that can shoot them at once, we out gun them by a ridiculous amount. United we have no reason to fear the government and they have every reason to fear us.
    You are right that we out gun them and that they want us to fear them. I am not weighing in on whether or not Snowden is on his own or not. That part really doesn't matter in the scenario I'm painting. He could be on his own, or he could not, but either way I believe they want us to know what he was leaking/telling us.

You see what I'm saying here. It all makes sense now. They are moving the mindset of Americans from freedom to tyranny via information/media perspecting, which forms individuals reality.

To elaborate: We are all here debating our debates about our currency, civil liberties, and on and on. All violations of the constitution and our idea of what freedom is. They are moving us into a new territory now.

Now most people will just laugh in public, yeah I know their watching, oh well. Next: Yeah John down the street got arrested for something, he was a threat.

Sadly, all I have heard is people eating up the establishment propaganda and regurgitating it like good little sheep.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Yes, as I was saying to my brother today, I don't know if Snowden is a leaker, or simply the guy working for minitru that is wheat pasting the "Big brother is watching you" posters all over the city.

There will more than likely be an explosion of outrage and free-talk, and then people will start to think about what they have said, and the dangers it may pose, and will start to kiss up to the US government, out of fear the dirt the NSA has on them. It's called a chill effect because it takes time.

Only problem with this theory is, this is not getting nearly the play it should be, the spin meisters are spinning like crazy, and the Syrian red line announcement was almost too convenient.

I lean heavily towards Snowden being... ...The True HOOHA.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Yes, as I was saying to my brother today, I don't know if Snowden is a leaker, or simply the guy working for minitru that is wheat pasting the "Big brother is watching you" posters all over the city.

There will more than likely be an explosion of outrage and free-talk, and then people will start to think about what they have said, and the dangers it may pose, and will start to kiss up to the US government, out of fear the dirt the NSA has on them. It's called a chill effect because it takes time.

Only problem with this theory is, this is not getting nearly the play it should be, the spin meisters are spinning like crazy, and the Syrian red line announcement was almost too convenient.

FWIW, I think he is the real deal myself.

They never would have constructed a narrative with a Ron Paul guy at the center of it all.

Next: Yeah John down the street got arrested for something, he was a threat.
    Already past that, I know because I am John down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post

He is a hero as a leaker no doubt, but it's the repurcussions that will follow is what I'm thinking about.

How many people are now going to start shutting up on the phones or in communication here soon. Think about that. Once the government makes it known they are watching you, many will cower in fear and stop talking or expressing themselves as much, then their minds begin to shut down, then the feeling of just go along to get along sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by better-dead-than-fed View Post
    Already past that, I know because I am John down the street.
    Well John down the street was a pretty good guy to his neighbors, yet after being taken away, few knew why, but he was supposedly some kind of threat, saying things and all on the phone from what we all heard anyways, so guess that's reason enough.

Banned

Blog Entries
    He is a hero as a leaker no doubt, but it's the repurcussions that will follow is what I'm thinking about.

How many people are now going to start shutting up on the phones or in communication here soon. Think about that. Once the government makes it known they are watching you, many will cower in fear and stop talking or expressing themselves as much, then their minds begin to shut down, then the feeling of just go along to get along sets in.
    Right, that's why it's called a "chill effect", it slowly chills dissent, until everyone is frozen in fear.

Exactly the info I posted in another thread about analyst's tapping capabilities. Ive seen it with my own eyes. I don't want to say too much but many years ago (long before 9/11) I was hired as an IT contractor and underwent training in a facility in CT. The facility? FBI wiretapping operation. I didn't make it through training before I quit when I saw what they were capable of. I didn't want anything to do with that mess. This has been going on for a very long time.
    Last edited by devil21; 06-15-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast