Thread: Federal Reserve is considering charging an exit fee for treasuries!

Federal Reserve is considering charging an exit fee for treasuries!

If this doesn't worry you nothing will. The Fed is considering charging a fee to sell your US treasuries because they are worried about a run collapsing bond prices. Even if they don't implement it the fact that they are considering it should be a major cause for alarm. That would be a huge breach of contract.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/290ed010-f...#axzz350x2tHWF

Fed looks at exit fees on bond funds

Tom Braithwaite, Tracy Alloway and Michael Mackenzie in New York and Gina Chon in Washington
    Monday, 16 Jun 2014 | 9:03 PM ET

Federal Reserve officials have discussed whether regulators should impose exit fees on bond funds to avert a potential run by investors, underlining concern about the vulnerability of the $10 trillion corporate bond market.

Officials are concerned that bond funds are becoming "shadow banks", because investors can withdraw their money on demand, even though the assets held by the funds can be hard to sell in a crisis. The Fed discussions have taken place at a senior level but have not yet developed into formal policy, according to people familiar with the matter.

Exit fees would seek to discourage retail investors from withdrawing funds, thereby making their claims less liquid and making a fire sale of the assets more unlikely.

Introducing exit fees would require a rule change by the Securities and Exchange Commission, which some commissioners would be expected to resist, according to others familiar with the matter.

read more:
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/101764134
    Last edited by jct74; 06-18-2014 at 03:29 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    If this doesn't worry you nothing will. The Fed is considering charging a fee to sell your US treasuries because they are worried about a run collapsing bond prices. Even if they don't implement it the fact that they are considering it should be a major cause for alarm. That would be a huge breach of contract.

Not good.

And the article seems to be behind a pay wall or something.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

you can find the pertinent details on Zero Hedge

Prepare to see the law of unintended(?) consequences unfold...
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Fed looks at exit fees on bond funds

Tom Braithwaite, Tracy Alloway and Michael Mackenzie in New York and Gina Chon in Washington
    Monday, 16 Jun 2014 | 9:03 PM ET

Federal Reserve officials have discussed whether regulators should impose exit fees on bond funds to avert a potential run by investors, underlining concern about the vulnerability of the $10 trillion corporate bond market.

Officials are concerned that bond funds are becoming "shadow banks", because investors can withdraw their money on demand, even though the assets held by the funds can be hard to sell in a crisis. The Fed discussions have taken place at a senior level but have not yet developed into formal policy, according to people familiar with the matter.

Exit fees would seek to discourage retail investors from withdrawing funds, thereby making their claims less liquid and making a fire sale of the assets more unlikely.

Introducing exit fees would require a rule change by the Securities and Exchange Commission, which some commissioners would be expected to resist, according to others familiar with the matter.

read more:

ZeroHedge link:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...xit-fees-gates

read more:
    Looks like this is aimed at funds holding corporate bonds, although it might include treasuries as well.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I have no pity for people who lose money because of this.

You invested in one of the largest criminal gangs in the history of the world. This move (and anything like it in the coming few years) should not surprise anyone. Cry me a river.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    I have no pity for people who lose money because of this.

You invested in one of the largest criminal gangs in the history of the world. This move (and anything like it in the coming few years) should not surprise anyone. Cry me a river.
    I agree, anyone invested in fiat paper is going to get burned. What bothers me more about this is the total lack of regard for the rule of law.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Financial rule of law went out the window in 1971 when the USD was officially taken off the gold standard. Obviously it goes back further than that, but that move flagrantly burnt the US Constitution to ashes.

Anyone invested in anything tied to the US Federal Gov't from that point on was/is COMPLICIT in the breakdown of the rule of law in the USA, especially in regards to matters of government finance.

$#@! em all. $#@! em all to hell.

I agree, anyone invested in fiat paper is going to get burned. What bothers me more about this is the total lack of regard for the rule of law.

So is this action/policy an act of incompetence or malice?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...-its-own-words

The NY Fed states:

"Our paper is the first to show that the possibility of suspending convertibility, including the imposition of gates or fees for redemptions, can create runs that would not otherwise occur. This contrasts with the existing literature, which focuses on whether suspension of convertibility can prevent runs. In other words, we show that rather than being part of the solution, redemption fees and gates can be part of the problem."