Thread: 'Sometimes You Have To Walk' - Trump/Kim Summit A Failure? Whose Fault?

'Sometimes You Have To Walk' - Trump/Kim Summit A Failure? Whose Fault?

'Sometimes You Have To Walk' - Trump/Kim Summit A Failure? Whose Fault?

The media is gloating today over the "failed" Trump/Kim summit. Was the summit really a failure? If so, who is at fault? The media and pundits as usual get it wrong. It was both a success and a failure, but not for the reasons they are reporting. Tune in to today's Liberty Report for our reasoning...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Daniel McAdams mentioned this article. The point being that Trump is doing something with North Korea that his predecessors (and their neoconservative/MIC/CFR advisers) would never do: he is talking to NK.

When Trump took office, missiles were flying, nukes were being tested, and the rhetoric coming out of Pyongyang was hot and heavy. Halfway through his first term, the Koreans are singing his praises and he’s holding hands with Kim Jong-un, the fearsome despot, as they stroll along the pathway to peace.

Stuck in the ritualized belligerence of the Cold War era, this kind of progress was unthinkable during the Bush and Obama administrations for the simple reason that both were ruled by dogmatism; that is, by an unthinking routinism.

Why, you can’t do that!

And why not?

Well, it’s never been done, and furthermore no one with the right credentials has ever proposed or endorsed it.
    More: https://original.antiwar.com/justin/...ward-the-east/

Scott Adams explains how the mainstream media and the deep state set Trump up for 'failure' on this one by having the Cohen testimony scheduled right before the summit.

If he made a deal, the media would have said it was a horrible deal, even if it wasn't that horrible of a deal and say that the only reason he did it was to make him look good after the Cohen testimony.

Trump didn't play into their little scheme, and in the end it will probably net him a better deal.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Scott Adams explains how the mainstream media and the deep state set Trump up...
    Shouldn't this be in the religion forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the religion forum?
    Dammit. Can't rep you.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

It was doomed from the start. North Korea will never give up their nuclear program. They just wanted sanctions removed. They do this every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It was doomed from the start. North Korea will never give up their nuclear program. They just wanted sanctions removed. They do this every few years.
    They do what every few years? Talk to POTUS face to face?

Think about Hussein a minute. Think about Khaddafi. Where would Ridiculous Little Communist North Korea be without them?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-01-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Dammit. Can't rep you.
    Covered.
    "The Patriarch"

Said it before, I'll say it again. When the talking stops the shooting starts, good on Trump for engaging.
    "The Patriarch"

They do what every few years? Talk to POTUS face to face?

Think about Hussein a minute. Think about Khaddafi. Where would Ridiculous Little Communist North Korea be without them?
    North Korea raises some fuss and promises to reduce/ get rid of their nuclear program in return for economic aid. They get aid and then go back to what they were doing before. Did it with Clinton and Bush. Thought Trump was about to fall for the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Said it before, I'll say it again. When the talking stops the shooting starts, good on Trump for engaging.
    According to you, now that the talking has stopped, does it mean the shooting is going to start now?

Deep state 101
    Trump 0

Darn deep state, always getting one over Trump, again and again and again and again....... you get the point

Trump failed because he wasn't ready to ease up on the sanctions.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    According to you, now that the talking has stopped, does it mean the shooting is going to start now?
    What odds are you giving?

You sound like you want the shooting to start.

The talking didn't stop, it has stalled, and they are still good friends.

One of my friends was negotiating with his old boss to buy something recently and he walked away a few times. But the talks still continued until a deal was reached, and they remained friends. Amazing, isn't it?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What odds are you giving?
    Not a chance, they still have nukes so anyone going in will get their gets blown off. Also, China and Russia wouldn't sit idly by while the US starts a potential nuclear war on their backyard. Essentially what I am saying is that the saying doesn't apply here.

Remember, Obama wasn't talking to Kim and we did not have a shooting anything.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

One of my friends was negotiating with his old boss to buy something recently and he walked away a few times. But the talks still continued until a deal was reached, and they remained friends. Amazing, isn't it?
    Technically, it has been stalled since Korean war, so Trump just continues what the other presidents have been doing. No really postive or negative news here just business as usual.

Technically, it has been stalled since Korean war, so Trump just continues what the other presidents have been doing. No really postive or negative news here just business as usual.
    Complete horse $#@!.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ngapore-summit

It is Donald Trump’s recurring boast that with the Singapore summit with Kim Jong-un, he has succeeded in negotiations with North Korea where his predecessors failed. But the claim obscures a long history of agreements made and broken by both countries.

The lesson of two major deals, in 1994 and 2005, is that it is much easier to reach agreements than to implement them. In fact, the complex, fraught process of implementation has usually brought with it new flashpoints and new crises.

Trump’s looming Singapore summit with Kim will be the first meeting between US and North Korean leaders, but that is largely because previous US presidents have balked at giving the Pyongyang regime such recognition and prestige without substantive progress towards disarmament.

Each time a deal has been close, the same basic bargain has been on the table: that North Korea relinquish its nuclear arsenal in return for a mix of security and economic incentives.

In 1992 – the first time the US and North Korea engaged diplomatically since the 1953 armistice – the Pyongyang regime faced similar isolation and intense economic pressure as it does today. The collapse of the Soviet Union robbed the regime of a steadfast ally and patron. Meanwhile, Beijing was telling North Korea to undergo the same transformative economic reforms as China. Kim’s grandfather, Kim Il-sung, was facing an existential threat.

Then, like now, rapprochement between North and South Korea created a diplomatic opening for the US. In January 1992, the two Koreas signed an agreement on the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula. That led to meetings between American and North Korean diplomats at the US mission to the United Nations in New York, where the two delegations eyed each other warily after three decades of silence.

The first thing that struck Robert Gallucci, who became chief US negotiator in 1993, was his counterparts’ identical lapel badges portraying the Great Leader. “I tried to imagine us sitting there with lapel pictures of Bill Clinton and I just couldn’t,” he recalled.

The first two years of US engagement with North Korea were highly volatile, in which diplomatic breakthroughs were interspersed by dangerous crises.

North Korea made an agreement in January 1992 with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to allow its nuclear complex at Yongbyon to be inspected, and at the same time the US called off its joint military exercises with South Korea.

The consequent mood of optimism was short-lived. The arrival of the IAEA inspectors led rapidly to a conflict on how much of the Yongbyon nuclear plant they could see. The escalation culminated in the North Koreans unloading spent fuel roads from the Yongbyon reactor, a necessary precursor to extracting plutonium. The Clinton administration started reviewing plans for air strikes to stop them and the two sides came close to war.

Just before Washington got to the point of ordering the evacuation of US nationals from the peninsula, the former president Jimmy Carter stepped in. He flew to Pyongyang for a personal meeting with Kim Il-sung, putting the diplomacy back on track and providing the impetus for the first major accord between the two countries, the 1994 Agreed Framework.

According to the deal, North Korea would dismantle its reactor at Yongbyon, the source of its plutonium, in return for two civilian light water nuclear power stations, generally seen as less of a proliferation risk. Until those reactors were built, North Korea would receive shipments of US-financed fuel oil.

The deal was sealed in Geneva and the North Koreans invited the US negotiators to their mission to toast its success. One of the US diplomats, Joel Wit, was on the point of downing his shot when he spotted snakes at the bottom of the bottle. It was snake liquor, popular across east Asia for special occasions.

“Snake liquor really does smell like there has been a dead animal in the bottle, because there is,” Wit said. “I didn’t drink it, and as I turned around to put the glass down on the table I noticed that all the other Americans put theirs away. I’m not sure if the North Koreans noticed.”

From such tentative beginnings, the Agreed Framework would last nearly nine years, but its implementation would be a constant struggle. A Republican-dominated Congress did its best to slow down fuel deliveries, and the construction timetable for the reactors was continually postponed.

It later emerged that North Korea had been cheating by pursuing a secret uranium route to making a bomb. That was enough for the hawks in the Bush administration, John Bolton among them, to kill off the Agreed Framework.

The accord’s defenders suggest that the uranium enrichment programme was the regime’s hedge against the US reneging on the deal, and it could have been closed down through negotiations. They also argue that the Agreed Framework held back the weapons programme for most of the 1990s.

Christopher Hill, who became the Bush administration’s chief negotiator with North Korea, disagreed with the decision to end the Agreed Framework. “My own view is we lost control of the plutonium process, we lost inspectors on the ground. We lost the capacity to understand what was going on there,” Hill said.

After a break in contact of more than two years, Hill was given the task of re-establishing contacts with the North Koreans under the format of multilateral, six-party talks. Those negotiations eventually led to a 2005 joint statement of principles to guide future negotiations, which included some of the elements of the Agreed Framework, such as the eventual provision of light water reactors, and a lot of language that will be on the table in Tuesday’s talks between Trump and Kim.

The statement called for “the verifiable denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula … in a phased manner in line with the principle of ‘commitment for commitment, action for action.’”

The joint statement once more raised hopes that the US and North Korea had turned a corner in their relationship, but it began to fall apart almost immediately. Within weeks, the US Treasury imposed new sanctions, freezing $23m (£17m) in North Korean assets in a bank in the Chinese territory of Macau, using counter-terror legislation. It was a relatively small amount of money, but it infuriated the North Koreans and the Chinese, who saw it as a violation of the spirit of the joint statement. US diplomats who had negotiated the 2005 statement were also taken by surprise.

“I think it’s fair to say that one part of the US government was not particularly in touch with another part of US government, not for the first or last time,” said Hill, who saw it as an act of sabotage by hawks such as Bolton in the Bush administration. “I think the real purpose of it was to screw up the negotiations.”

As relations spiralled downwards, North Korea tested seven ballistic missiles in July 2006, and conducted its first nuclear test in October the same year.

The US ended up refunding North Korea the money it had frozen in Macau, and provided shipments of fuel oil, and in return the regime closed down its Yongbyon reactor and provided a partial inventory of its nuclear programme. But the six-party talks became bogged down in the question of verification. As before, North Korea was prepared to allow inspectors in but sought to limit what they could see.

Kim Jong-un has struck one deal with the US, in February 2012. Under the Leap Year agreement, the regime undertook once more to suspend enrichment in Yongbyon under IAEA verification and to suspend nuclear and missile testing, in exchange, the Obama administration pledged to send food aid.

Once more, the deal fell apart within weeks when North Korea conducted missile launches, which it insisted were for satellite deployment. The US deemed them a breach of the Leap Year agreement and halted plans to send food aid.

Through three generations of the Kim dynasty, and successive US administrations, the biggest obstacle has not been reaching an agreement but making it stick. This has not only been a result of North Korea seeking to circumvent deals it has made, but a recurrent problem of US administrations sending conflicting signals, as different factions vie for control of policymaking.
    More at link.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-01-2019 at 04:13 PM.

I bet there is even a Ferengi rule of acquisition for that.

No, because the talking hasn't stopped. The negotiations have hit a impasse, not stopped. But you know that and spew crap anyway. I still give credit to Trump for the two Korea's being less hostile than I can ever remember.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    No, because the talking hasn't stopped. The negotiations have hit a impasse, not stopped. But you know that and spew crap anyway. I still give credit to Trump for the two Korea's being less hostile than I can ever remember.
    I guess what you call a pause, I call an end to the talks and this start and stop negotiations has been going on since the end of the Korean war. This is no different than what Clinton did but I guess some people's expectations are so low that they become way too generous with their compliments.

Well, I give Trump credit for not starting a nuclear war with Russia, not shutting down RPF etc etc. See, I can be generous with my compliments too, just find a low bar accomplishment and give Trump credit for it

Thumbs up Defense against Random Guyido of Korea

Homeland security fanatic....

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Question Son of Kim Jong-un's assassinated brother, Kim Jong-nam?

‘Some sort of fantasy’: Mysterious group declares itself N. Korean ‘government-in-exile’

A shadowy group known as the Cheollima Civil Defense (CCD) has declared itself North Korea’s “government-in-exile” while decrying the government of Kim Jong-un as an “immoral and illegitimate regime.”

CCD released a statement Friday, declaring their government, which they have dubbed ‘Free Joseon,’ as “the sole legitimate representative of the Korean people of the north.” A video of a woman dressed in a traditional black and white hanbok with her face blurred out reading out the group’s manifesto was also released.

Joseon is an old name for Korea. The term is sometimes used by North Koreans and Koreans living in China based on a kingdom on the peninsula which lasted from 1392 – 1897. The group, named after a winged mythical horse, is believed to be harboring and protecting Kim Han-sol, the son of Kim Jong-un's assassinated brother, Kim Jong-nam, who was killed with VX nerve agent in Malaysia on February 7 2017.

https://www.rt.com/news/452757-myste...n-north-korea/
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess what you call a pause, I call an end to the talks and this start and stop negotiations has been going on since the end of the Korean war. This is no different than what Clinton did but I guess some people's expectations are so low that they become way too generous with their compliments.

Well, I give Trump credit for not starting a nuclear war with Russia, not shutting down RPF etc etc. See, I can be generous with my compliments too, just find a low bar accomplishment and give Trump credit for it
    They met face to face. There's an announcement due that the annual brinksmanship and posturing in the form of naval war exercises is off. Never saw that before.

I'm somewhat impressed myself.

They met face to face. There's an announcement due that the annual brinksmanship and posturing in the form of naval war exercises is off. Never saw that before.

Naval exercises to be scaled back but not cancelled.

https://www.stripes.com/pentagon-pla...alter-1.570761

Pentagon plans scaled-back spring training exercise in South Korea as Trump-Kim negotiations falter

WASHINGTON – The U.S. military intends to hold a scaled-back version of its annual spring training exercise with South Korean troops in March, Pentagon officials said Thursday after the second meeting between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un abruptly ended with no nuclear agreement.

The simultaneous, command-level exercises, which have long been known as Foal Eagle and Key Resolve, were scheduled to continue as planned on a scaled-back level designed to maintain military readiness without drawing the attention of the North Koreans, two defense officials said Thursday. One of the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the Pentagon was, for now, moving forward “status quo” in the wake of Trump and Kim leaving their summit in Vietnam early without a new deal to end the North’s nuclear programs.

The White House has not ordered the Pentagon to halt its planning for the scaled-back exercise, which would involve tens of thousands of American and South Korean troops, the officials said.

One of the officials said some in the Pentagon had expected Trump to scrap the exercises altogether following the meeting, as he did last year after his first unprecedented talks with Kim. Trump has described such operations as expensive and provocative to the North.

As zippy said, it was scaled back for the moment not put off. But if your standards for success is low enough, you can still gives Trump kudos for doing the bare minimum. I generally clap for kids when they make small strides like take 6 steps without falling but Trump is no kid.

As zippy said, it was scaled back for the moment not put off. But if your standards for success is low enough, you can still gives Trump kudos for doing the bare minimum. I generally clap for kids when they make small strides like take 6 steps without falling but Trump is no kid.
    He talks like one.

He talks like one.
    He said it not me

Tulsi Gabbard: NK will not give up nukes without re-appraisal of US regime-change “foreign policy.”

This is the kind of thing we used to hear Ron Paul say, not it seems like Tulsi is carrying the anti war mantle in the house. Also, amazing that she called the failure of the summit before the results came out. She continues on this path and she might get my vote come Nov.
    Last edited by juleswin; 03-01-2019 at 10:42 PM.