Thread: Trial Balloon: Force Military Retirees on to Obamacare

Trial Balloon: Force Military Retirees on to Obamacare

. Budget experts: Move Tricare beneficiaries to Obamacare

. The Defense Department could slash its enormous health care budget by requiring Tricare beneficiaries not on active duty to get health care coverage through Affordable Care Act exchanges, according to several current and former congressional budget experts.

In the past several budget cycles, the Pentagon has sought to reduce its $52 billion health budget by asking Congress to approve cost-savings measures that include increased Tricare fees for retirees, fees for Tricare For Life beneficiaries and cost-shares for active-duty families.
    Could have seen this coming.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And... why should former hired killers get healthcare at taxpayer expense?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Because of a contractual agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Courts stuck down that argument a while back.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Courts stuck down that argument a while back.
    link?

Never mind, I found several references to that effect.
    I sit corrected.

link?
    Look up George Everett "Bud" Day. There is not a contract one signs for lifetime health care, but recruiters have mentioned it as a benefit. So I believe Col. Day argued it was a verbal contract. But he ultimately lost in court. Congress eventually came up with TRICARE, with Medicare as the primary payer and TRICARE as the secondary payer.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I will be SHOCKED if this thing passes. Even Diane Feinstein won't touch military benefits.

EDIT: a quick check of the source confirmed my suspicions. Army/Navy/Air Force Times is very sensationalist and not very credible with this type of thing. Any time anyone floats any kind of idea, even if it's an obscure member of an obscure committee tasked with an obscure agenda making an off-hand comment, these guys will publish it like it's a done deal.
    Last edited by willwash; 12-21-2014 at 08:59 PM.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What a wonderful paraphrase of Right Honourable Robert Morris concerning "the Gentlemen of the blade" in 1783 while doing his part in fomenting the Newburgh Conspiracy.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

\

And if I contract to pay you to murder people with stolen money, this is binding because?

Mind, I know some soldiers don't actually kill anyone, but I still don't see how that gives them any kind of an entitlement to have their retirements paid for by the private sector.

The double standard on this website when it comes to soldiers vs other government employees is truly massive.

Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    I will be SHOCKED if this thing passes. Even Diane Feinstein won't touch military benefits.

EDIT: a quick check of the source confirmed my suspicions. Army/Navy/Air Force Times is very sensationalist and not very credible with this type of thing. Any time anyone floats any kind of idea, even if it's an obscure member of an obscure committee tasked with an obscure agenda making an off-hand comment, these guys will publish it like it's a done deal.
    Its a shame. Too bad. I'd love to see the sacred cow torn down.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

\

And if I contract to pay you to murder people with stolen money, this is binding because?

Mind, I know some soldiers don't actually kill anyone, but I still don't see how that gives them any kind of an entitlement to have their retirements paid for by the private sector.

The double standard on this website when it comes to soldiers vs other government employees is truly massive.

Its a shame. Too bad. I'd love to see the sacred cow torn down.
    Normally I'd agree, but remember that a strong standing Navy is specifically authorized in the Constitution. This includes pay and benefits for those who serve.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

The Defense Department could slash its enormous health care budget by requiring Tricare beneficiaries not on active duty to get health care coverage through Affordable Care Act exchanges, according to several current and former congressional budget experts.

In the past several budget cycles, the Pentagon has sought to reduce its $52 billion health budget by asking Congress to approve cost-savings measures that include increased Tricare fees for retirees, fees for Tricare For Life beneficiaries and cost-shares for active-duty families.
    So the DoD wants to wants to sweep some of its piles under the Obamacare rug rather than under the DoD rug.

And this in the name of "cost savings" ... (but "cost savings" for whom?) Seems legit ...

IOW: This is just another move in the FedGov's budgetary & fiscal shell game. (Visions of "houses of cards" and "deck chairs" also spring to mind ...)
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

Normally I'd agree, but remember that a strong standing Navy is specifically authorized in the Constitution. This includes pay and benefits for those who serve.
    Brilliant observation! You obviously have a superior understanding of the Constitution over your peers here,myself included...

Brilliant observation! You obviously have a superior understanding of the Constitution over your peers here,myself included...
    Not sure if sarcastic, though thanks for the rep...

I;m just saying there is a lot of misplaced hostility towards the military here. I liken it to lib-tard hostility towards guns. Guns are not evil, though the people who use them may be. Militaries (namely, the US military) are not inherently evil--though the governments and politicians that control them can use them for evil purposes.

I agree the US military needs to be throttled back--significantly--to be brought back within its constitutional bounds. Those bounds, however, should not involve outright elimination of or cuts to pay and benefits to those already in the system. Attrition works just fine to accomplish these ends.

Andrew Jackson, 1834

I;m just saying there is a lot of misplaced hostility towards the military here. I liken it to lib-tard hostility towards guns. Guns are not evil, though the people who use them may be. Militaries (namely, the US military) are not inherently evil--though the governments and politicians that control them can use them for evil purposes.

I agree the US military needs to be throttled back--significantly--to be brought back within its constitutional bounds. Those bounds, however, should not involve outright elimination of or cuts to pay and benefits to those already in the system. Attrition works just fine to accomplish these ends.
    No sarcasm at all intended. Your contribution was spot on IMO. The Navy was a vital element in ensuring Americas interests in trade as well as security from foreign threats. Sometimes I believe that we have members in here who are foreign enemies or traitors in disguise as libertarians. You, obviously aren't one of those.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-13-2016 at 12:12 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Don't retirement and lifetime medical benefits run contrary to the spirit, if not the word, of:
    I wouldn't think so. A permanent, standing Navy is authorized. Armies are authorized on a temporary basis (I agree that our present practice WRT "The Army" exceeds Constitutional mandate). I think the terms of compensation of the service members thereof is a separate issue and not subject to limitation by this clause.

Andrew Jackson, 1834

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-13-2016 at 06:01 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

No sarcasm at all intended. Your contribution was spot on IMO. The Navy was a vital element in ensuring Americas interests in trade as well as security from foreign threats. Sometimes I believe that we have members in here who are foreign enemies or traitors in disguise as libertarians. You, obviously aren't one of those.
    Not foreign enemies or traitors. Just more radical than some others

Guns are a tool, an inanimate object. Morals do not apply to "guns." Nonetheless, I do believe there are certain types of weapons that are inherently evil because they CANNOT be used in a just manner. Nuclear weapons for instance. Murray Rothbard brilliantly discusses that point when he talks about war. If a weapon CANNOT be justly pinpointed at a particular enemy, it should not exist.

"Militaries" are not inanimate objects, they are made up of people, all of which are responsible for what they do and what orders they obey.
    I'm not a constitutionalist. I am an anarcho-capitalist. There are things that are constitutional that aren't right.

I am not trying to pass off my own views as Ron Paul's, though I admire him a lot.