Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [VIDEO ADDED] Ron Paul on "The Libertarian Future" @ The Mises Circle 1/26/2013

Great! He's taking questions now (so I guess he won't be on the Q&A panel later).
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Great! He's taking questions now (so I guess he won't be on the Q&A panel later).
    NOOOOOO!!!!

my link crashed!!!!

yea! He's back!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Ouch, Thomas Massie.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

He called Thomas Massie "Robert" ... oops! But he got "Justin Amash" right ...

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    any question with 'the Mafia interveners' in it is delicate, I guess I'm glad he didn't hear that one.

In his presentation (his first at a Mises Institute event), Benjamin Powell teased Tom Woods about plugging his books.

Looking forward to Tom's "old gunslinger" reaction to the "young gun" calling him out ...

-- The Law (p. 54)
      -- Government (p. 99)

I love Tom's take on Ron's campaign....

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    With your blind hate for Libertarians, Confederate, I'm pleasantly surprised that you took the time to watch this. I hope you're sticking around for Tom Woods, he's always brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by belian78 View Post
    With your blind hate for Libertarians, Confederate, I'm pleasantly surprised that you took the time to watch this. I hope you're sticking around for Tom Woods, he's always brilliant.
    I don't hate libertarians, I agree with them on many issues. I'm just not one.

I don't hate libertarians, I agree with them on many issues. I'm just not one.
    What part of self-ownership do you disagree with?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I'm still trying to digest the libertarian thing also, Confederate. I firstly agree with the NAP, and sound money. Foreign policy is important first, then also, and as important, liberty here at home, and I think both are needed for the other to work.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't need to be 'libertarian' nor am I offended at being called that. It means so many different things to so many different people. I know torchbearer's reasoned from NAP definition, but there are a ton of others popularly believed to be and called libertarian. I mean, look at Beck....

Confederate's hate is for (L)ibertarians, as he sees them all as just spoiling Republican races and handing them to the Democrats. Or his past posts seems to give that impression.

Confederate's hate is for (L)ibertarians, as he sees them all as just spoiling Republican races and handing them to the Democrats. Or his past posts seems to give that impression.
    His idea the republicans are good democrats are bad is a simpleton view and incorrect.
    the leadership of the GOP are progressives. he supports them apparently.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Back on topic, I hope some tubes get posted soon, I'm working and missed sections of both Ron and Tom.

/begs

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    His idea the republicans are good democrats are bad is a simpleton view and incorrect.
    the leadership of the GOP are progressives. he supports them apparently.
    I've never said I think Republicans are good. They tend to be better than Democrats, but for the most part are for just as big a government. I do think the LP is a waste of time and money, though. And I hate the social liberalism of most libertarians.

I've never said I think Republicans are good. They tend to be better than Democrats, but for the most part are for just as big a government. I do think the LP is a waste of time and money, though. And I hate the social liberalism of most libertarians.
    you mean, you hate the whole self-ownership thing.

Yeah, self governance and freedom are pesky things, are they not?

As a libertarian and having been a dues paying member of the LP from the time I was 14 until somewhere in my mid-twenties, I've come to evolve w/ Ron's restoring the GOP concept. I was well aware of the RLC back then but it took a guy like Ron to give the concept traction. Clearly, we've made major strides in many states and also smaller ones in many more states and counties, so there's no reason to abandon that just because the vehicle isn't the LP. And, I'm all for the LP and CP to run candidates in races where there isn't an identifiable liberty leaning republican (80+) running but it infuriates me and runs the saboteur gauntlet when they do to known liberty folk. We're not getting the most bang for the buck when libertarians waste resources running against the likes of Rep Amash. In fact, the LP is making itself an enemy to those libertarian republicans in other races when they try nipping at the heels of great republicans such as Amash. Because we cherish electing solid liberty republicans and then we see the LP spite us as RLC peeps because we're not using the LP by stabbing our guys in the back, you further the division even more. It's only the holier-than-thou libertarians that refuse to go with what works and merely dabble in irrelevancy. Life is too short to spin one's wheels doing something for the sake of doing it w/o a clear cut strategy to succeed. The definition of insanity>

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    As a libertarian and having been a dues paying member of the LP from the time I was 14 until somewhere in my mid-twenties, I've come to evolve w/ Ron's restoring the GOP concept. I was well aware of the RLC back then but it took a guy like Ron to give the concept traction. Clearly, we've made major strides in many states and also smaller ones in many more states and counties, so there's no reason to abandon that just because the vehicle isn't the LP. And, I'm all for the LP and CP to run candidates in races where there isn't an identifiable liberty leaning republican (80+) running but it infuriates me and runs the saboteur gauntlet when they do to known liberty folk. We're not getting the most bang for the buck when libertarians waste resources running against the likes of Rep Amash. In fact, the LP is making itself an enemy to those libertarian republicans in other races when they try nipping at the heels of great republicans such as Amash. Because we cherish electing solid liberty republicans and then we see the LP spite us as RLC peeps because we're not using the LP by stabbing our guys in the back, you further the division even more. It's only the holier-than-thou libertarians that refuse to go with what works and merely dabble in irrelevancy. Life is too short to spin one's wheels doing something for the sake of doing it w/o a clear cut strategy to succeed. The definition of insanity>
    I just want to address this part of your post as a former central committee member of the LALP(a decade of service)
    the LP is making itself an enemy to those libertarian republicans in other races when they try nipping at the heels of great republicans such as Amash.
    we often had times when registered libertarians would run in races against "good" republican candidates.
    it was never a party endorsed decision. it was always a renegade purist who was being an ass.
    It offends me that you blame the LP for such things. You can't force someone from being registered libertarian, and you can't force someone from not running in a particular race.
    this $#@! happened almost yearly, and i have a feeling that this wasn't specific to just my state.
    our by-laws may have forbidden us from financially supporting republican candidates, but we never plotted to run against liberty minded republicans.
    the only $#@!-offs that did that were the purist, who will in the future be sabotaging rand in favor of bush/obama redux.
    i don't understand their sickness/illogic, but don't blame the LP for their stupidity.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 01-26-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Here's a great picture for playing 'where's Waldo' with....

Last edited by sailingaway; 01-26-2013 at 07:59 PM.

"others make those ideas palatable" -Ron Paul
    Maybe Rand Paul read that part of Human Action?

Ron made them pretty palatable:

Last edited by sailingaway; 01-26-2013 at 10:26 PM.

This event was a great success. The After party (hosted by Students for Liberty & Liberty on the Rocks) included Karaoke with about 125 attending. Lots of beer & fun. We will be following this event up with many more.

i don't understand their sickness/illogic, but don't blame the LP for their stupidity.
    It naturally reflects on the party and perhaps they should have more control over their banner. It's highly possible that this illogic may continue with more of the Rand haters specifically targeting libertarian republicans out of spite and using the LP as a vehicle. I mean, it only takes that one person to put his name on the ballot and goad other libertarian lever pullers to siphon the votes away.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    It naturally reflects on the party and perhaps they should have more control over their banner. It's highly possible that this illogic may continue with more of the Rand haters specifically targeting libertarian republicans out of spite and using the LP as a vehicle. I mean, it only takes that one person to put his name on the ballot and goad other libertarian lever pullers to siphon the votes away.

well that is the same fallacy the GOP leadership suffers from...
    those votes don't belong to us, we have to earn them.
    if they go to another candidate, they didn't steal them from us. we lost them.

If Ron had run Indie in 2012- he wouldn't have stolen votes from romney or obama, they would have lost them to Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStanart View Post
    This event was a great success. The After party (hosted by Students for Liberty & Liberty on the Rocks) included Karaoke with about 125 attending. Lots of beer & fun. We will be following this event up with many more.
    Did Bob Murphy perform? If he did, someone better have got it on video. The economy is suffering from a severe shortage of Bob Murphy karaoke 'tubes.

-- The Law (p. 54)
      -- Government (p. 99)

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    well that is the same fallacy the GOP leadership suffers from...
    those votes don't belong to us, we have to earn them.
    if they go to another candidate, they didn't steal them from us. we lost them.
    I hear ya but most of the LP votes in Amash's race would likely have went to him if the other jerk wasn't on the ballot. Same thing happened here in Kerry's special election with the LP and CP (known as US Taxpayers party here) that both fielded candidates but I'll give them a pass as they were likely running (as perennials) before this $#@!storm happened. Sadly, I don't have an answer to stop LPers from sabotaging liberty republicans besides bribing someone to run under the Green banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Did Bob Murphy perform? If he did, someone better have got it on video. The economy is suffering from a severe shortage of Bob Murphy karaoke 'tubes.

Here's one of them! Bob Murphy & YAL's Corie Whalen

Last edited by MikeStanart; 01-27-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast