Thread: Federal judge blasts ATF stings

Federal judge blasts ATF stings

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...tings/6565179/

"Society does not win when the Government stoops to the same level as the defendants it seeks to prosecute — especially when the Government has acted solely to achieve a conviction for a made-up crime," Wright wrote. He said the stings have done little to deter crime and instead are "ensnaring chronically unemployed individuals from poverty-ridden areas."

"The time has come to remind the Executive Branch that the Constitution charges it with law enforcement — not crime creation. A reverse-sting operation like this one transcends the bounds of due process and makes the Government the oppressor of its people," Wright wrote in a scathing 24-page order.

Wright's order, filed March 10, instructed federal officials to release Antuan Dunlap, who was arrested during an ATF sting in Los Angeles last year. Wright said agents had no evidence that Dunlap had been involved in drug house robberies in the past or that he would have participated in one had an undercover ATF agent not offered him the chance to steal as much as 25 kilograms of non-existent cocaine. He criticized the government for basing the severity of the charges Dunlap faced on the "whims" of federal agents and questioned whether the ATF's investigations have done anything to benefit public safety.

"Zero. That's the amount of drugs that the Government has taken off the streets as the result of this case and the hundreds of other fake stash-house cases around the country. That's the problem with creating crime: the Government is not making the country any safer or reducing the actual flow of drugs," Wright wrote.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yep, there's fake crimes and then there's really fake crimes.

"Zero. That's the amount of drugs that the Government has taken off the streets as the result of this case and the hundreds of other fake stash-house cases around the country. That's the problem with creating crime: the Government is not making the country any safer or reducing the actual flow of drugs," Wright wrote.

wow

+ rep for best story of the day.
    "The Patriarch"

"The time has come to remind the Executive Branch that the Constitution charges it with law enforcement — not crime creation. A reverse-sting operation like this one transcends the bounds of due process and makes the Government the oppressor of its people," Wright wrote in a scathing 24-page order.
    About $#@!ing time.

Judge Napolitano-esque.
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

/////

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They do the same thing with "terrorism"

I'm confused; is stealing drugs and money from a real stash house a crime? I see cops doing it all the time and usually they are praised and rewarded for their efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'm confused; is stealing drugs and money from a real stash house a crime? I see cops doing it all the time and usually they are praised and rewarded for their efforts.
    Only the government is qualified to steal drugs and money, it's best we leave it to the professionals.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Only the government is qualified to steal drugs and money, it's best we leave it to the professionals.
    Ah, I get it. So in a way these fake stings are a way of making sure unqualified amateurs don't get it in their heads that they can do those jobs instead of paying professionals to do it.

"Society does not win when the Government stoops to the same level as the defendants it seeks to prosecute — especially when the Government has acted solely to achieve a conviction for a made-up crime," Wright wrote. He said the stings have done little to deter crime and instead are "ensnaring chronically unemployed individuals from poverty-ridden areas."

You can change a few words to fit the bastards in Kansas----> Kansas Bill Seeks to Legalize Police Retaliation
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho