Thread: Tased in the Chest for 23 Seconds, Dead for 8 Minutes, Now Facing a Lifetime of Recovery

Tased in the Chest for 23 Seconds, Dead for 8 Minutes, Now Facing a Lifetime of Recovery

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/07/...e-of-recovery/

The sentencing hearing began with a surprise. Timothy Runnels, a 32-year-old former Independence, Missouri, police officer, sat at a large, rectangular defense table inside Courtroom 8B at the Charles Evans Whittaker Federal Courthouse in downtown Kansas City, Missouri, late last month. He was waiting to learn his fate after pleading guilty to a federal crime he committed almost two years ago, on September 14, 2014. Judge Dean Whipple had not yet watched the government’s key piece of evidence — a dashboard video — because he wanted to do so with attorneys present to make arguments. Today the video, which had never been played in any public setting, would be played in open court. Even the victim, 18-year-old Bryce Masters, had seen it only once.

As the video opens we see a gray Pontiac enter the frame, and Bryce’s dad, Matt, put his hand on his son’s knee. His mom, Stacy, folded her arms, clutching a tissue. Tears began to form in both his parents’ eyes, anticipating what everyone else in the room was about to see. Unfazed, Bryce leaned his 6-foot-1-inch frame forward, his eyes focused on the makeshift projector. He knew this piece of evidence absolved him of any wrongdoing.

In the video, Runnels pulls Bryce over and approaches the car. He tells Bryce to get out but doesn’t give a reason. Bryce repeatedly asks if he is under arrest. Runnels says, “You’re under arrest. Get your ass out of the car,” and attempts to pull him out by force. He then tases Bryce for 23 seconds, handcuffs him, drags the boy’s body behind the car, and deliberately drops him face first onto the asphalt road. Runnels may not have known it at the time, but Bryce was going into cardiac arrest. When the loud thud of the drop boomed throughout the courtroom, gasps echoed out. One woman looked down and covered her eyes with her hand. A man said, “Oh, my god.” A police officer with the Kansas City Police Department quickly brought his fist to his mouth, turned to the man next to him, and whispered, “Jesus.” Even those sitting behind the defendant — a few friends, his wife, his family — gasped, as if the recording revealed a truth about Runnels they had never considered.

Bryce Masters used his mobile phone to record his encounter with Officer Timothy Runnels on September 14, 2014. Warning: This video contains graphic scenes of police violence.

Runnels faced a dire sentence that day — up to 10 years in federal prison. The catalyst for the crime was the 23-second Taser deployment straight into Bryce’s chest. That’s what caused him to go into cardiac arrest. Assistant U.S. Attorney David M. Ketchmark argued that the length of time that Runnels held down the Taser’s trigger was an aggravating factor. One pull on the trigger sent electricity shooting out for five seconds; Runnels had held it down the equivalent of four pulls. Even so, the prosecution agreed that the initial Taser use was reasonable and within common police practice. Runnels’s crime, depriving a minor of his civil rights, occurred when he dropped the dying 17-year-old boy on his face.

Matt Masters does not agree that the Taser use was reasonable, but he agrees it was common police practice. Matt is a 19-year veteran of the Kansas City Police Department with a slew of warrior-cop credentials. He has worked on SWAT teams and has been part of Kansas City’s police narcotics unit, taking point on an estimated 1,000 search warrants during one three-year span. After Bryce was tased, Matt discovered something he’d never heard in any Taser training he’d gone through, something he resisted believing, because it violated an article of faith among police officers: Tasers can kill.

More specifically, Matt learned that on October 12, 2009, Taser International, the Scottsdale, Arizona-based maker of conducted electrical weapons, released a training bulletin suggesting that officers should avoid shooting suspects in the chest whenever possible. Five years later — on September 14, 2014 — it would be difficult to argue that Runnels was unable to avoid shooting Bryce in the chest. Yet the defense’s argument for leniency was based on the claim that Runnels had acted reasonably as an officer right up until the moment he dropped Bryce on his face.

But the wounds Bryce suffered from that part of the assault have largely healed. The permanent injury he struggles with every day came as a result of the Taser. Bryce’s brain was deprived of oxygen for six to eight minutes while he was in cardiac arrest. It was the Taser that almost killed Bryce.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More at the link. I have no desire to see the video. The screen shots were enough.

What I find particularly striking about this case is that the Dad of the victim admits to blaming his son, and feeling sorry for the cop. Of course the dad is a cop himself.

Goons gonna goon... and goon... and goon... It never stops.
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Taser ver. 5.0, with dial a voltage.

The dashcam should be thrown out as evidence because clearly the dashcam malfunctioned
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Here's a shortened version of the dashcam video, the full 20 minute video is at the bottom of the article. It really is one of the more sickening police videos I've ever seen so don't watch if you are squeamish, but I hope as many people see this as possible so put it on the front page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lfJ5WSpiWA

Really good article worth the long read, thanks for posting limequat.

Quote Originally Posted by limequat View Post
    More at the link. I have no desire to see the video. The screen shots were enough.

What I find particularly striking about this case is that the Dad of the victim admits to blaming his son, and feeling sorry for the cop. Of course the dad is a cop himself.
    Only three types of people in this world, to a cop, and strictly in this order.

1 - Cops.

2 - Cop's families and friends.

3 - Scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Goons gonna goon... and goon... and goon... It never stops.
    It could stop tomorrow, and we all know how.

Nobody has the stomach or the strength for it, myself included, damn me.

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    It could stop tomorrow, and we all know how.

Nobody has the stomach or the strength for it, myself included, damn me.
    Wrong.

It's a simple numbers game.
    Plenty of people have the stomach and the strength.
    The problem is, for every one person with the stomach and strength, who chooses to do something about it, and ends up getting burned alive on national TV, there are millions of sheep pumping their fists in the air and cheering when he is lynched.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

That video is literally nauseating.

One of many outcomes if you try to assert your rights.
    Last edited by EBounding; 06-08-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Vaffanculo, polizia
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Crime: Contempt of cop.
    Judge and Jury decision: Guilty.
    Punishment: Potentially lethal electrical torture, potentially lethal slamming of head into ground.
    To be carried out: Immediately.

After Bryce was tased, Matt discovered something he’d never heard in any Taser training he’d gone through, something he resisted believing, because it violated an article of faith among police officers: Tasers can kill.
    Well, duh, you don't say? Were all of the laws, regulations and codes related to electricity there for nothing?

On the other hand, the kid's actions indicate he followed advise he no doubt heard about on the internet...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

And this is a pro-cop shirt. Lol. Irony is ironic.

Just we I need, another reason to hate cops.
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

What do you people expect? The kid didn't roll his window down all the way and asked questions, he's lucky he wasn't shot.

I pray the Cop is raped repeatedly gets AIDS, serves his sentence then kills himself.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by limequat View Post
    https://theintercept.com/2016/06/07/...e-of-recovery/

The sentencing hearing began with a surprise. Timothy Runnels, a 32-year-old former Independence, Missouri, police officer, sat at a large, rectangular defense table inside Courtroom 8B at the Charles Evans Whittaker Federal Courthouse in downtown Kansas City, Missouri, late last month. He was waiting to learn his fate after pleading guilty to a federal crime he committed almost two years ago, on September 14, 2014. Judge Dean Whipple had not yet watched the government’s key piece of evidence — a dashboard video — because he wanted to do so with attorneys present to make arguments. Today the video, which had never been played in any public setting, would be played in open court. Even the victim, 18-year-old Bryce Masters, had seen it only once.

As the video opens we see a gray Pontiac enter the frame, and Bryce’s dad, Matt, put his hand on his son’s knee. His mom, Stacy, folded her arms, clutching a tissue. Tears began to form in both his parents’ eyes, anticipating what everyone else in the room was about to see. Unfazed, Bryce leaned his 6-foot-1-inch frame forward, his eyes focused on the makeshift projector. He knew this piece of evidence absolved him of any wrongdoing.

In the video, Runnels pulls Bryce over and approaches the car. He tells Bryce to get out but doesn’t give a reason. Bryce repeatedly asks if he is under arrest. Runnels says, “You’re under arrest. Get your ass out of the car,” and attempts to pull him out by force. He then tases Bryce for 23 seconds, handcuffs him, drags the boy’s body behind the car, and deliberately drops him face first onto the asphalt road. Runnels may not have known it at the time, but Bryce was going into cardiac arrest. When the loud thud of the drop boomed throughout the courtroom, gasps echoed out. One woman looked down and covered her eyes with her hand. A man said, “Oh, my god.” A police officer with the Kansas City Police Department quickly brought his fist to his mouth, turned to the man next to him, and whispered, “Jesus.” Even those sitting behind the defendant — a few friends, his wife, his family — gasped, as if the recording revealed a truth about Runnels they had never considered.

Bryce Masters used his mobile phone to record his encounter with Officer Timothy Runnels on September 14, 2014. Warning: This video contains graphic scenes of police violence.

Runnels faced a dire sentence that day — up to 10 years in federal prison. The catalyst for the crime was the 23-second Taser deployment straight into Bryce’s chest. That’s what caused him to go into cardiac arrest. Assistant U.S. Attorney David M. Ketchmark argued that the length of time that Runnels held down the Taser’s trigger was an aggravating factor. One pull on the trigger sent electricity shooting out for five seconds; Runnels had held it down the equivalent of four pulls. Even so, the prosecution agreed that the initial Taser use was reasonable and within common police practice. Runnels’s crime, depriving a minor of his civil rights, occurred when he dropped the dying 17-year-old boy on his face.

Matt Masters does not agree that the Taser use was reasonable, but he agrees it was common police practice. Matt is a 19-year veteran of the Kansas City Police Department with a slew of warrior-cop credentials. He has worked on SWAT teams and has been part of Kansas City’s police narcotics unit, taking point on an estimated 1,000 search warrants during one three-year span. After Bryce was tased, Matt discovered something he’d never heard in any Taser training he’d gone through, something he resisted believing, because it violated an article of faith among police officers: Tasers can kill.

More specifically, Matt learned that on October 12, 2009, Taser International, the Scottsdale, Arizona-based maker of conducted electrical weapons, released a training bulletin suggesting that officers should avoid shooting suspects in the chest whenever possible. Five years later — on September 14, 2014 — it would be difficult to argue that Runnels was unable to avoid shooting Bryce in the chest. Yet the defense’s argument for leniency was based on the claim that Runnels had acted reasonably as an officer right up until the moment he dropped Bryce on his face.

But the wounds Bryce suffered from that part of the assault have largely healed. The permanent injury he struggles with every day came as a result of the Taser. Bryce’s brain was deprived of oxygen for six to eight minutes while he was in cardiac arrest. It was the Taser that almost killed Bryce.
    Police Are More Dangerous To The Public Than Are Criminals

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

On the other hand, the kid's actions indicate he followed advise he no doubt heard about on the internet...
    Actually I think I read somewhere that the "kid" was following the advice of his father, who is a Kansas City police officer.

His dad being a cop I'm sure he knows that many cops are scumbags, and thus he advised his son to stick up for his rights when stopped.

The only problem is, with a rogue cop standing up for your rights can get you killed, or permanently injured.

Sad thing for the kid is this all probably could have all been avoided if he had just played the "my dad is a cop" card ...
    Last edited by SeanTX; 06-08-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    That video is literally nauseating.

One of many outcomes if you try to assert your rights.
    It's pretty disgusting, but at the end of the day what counts is that he did assert his rights. It took some time for him to find the courage & bravery, but he did finally exercise his rights to tase that kid and drag him out. And that's what matters, because you know what they say about rights (and tasers, actually):

Use it or lose it
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by jth_ttu View Post
    What do you people expect? The kid didn't roll his window down all the way and asked questions, he's lucky he wasn't shot.
    ^ This

That boy's parents failed horribly, did not teach him at all, how to show respect to these brave Officers who risk our lives to protect & serve us.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    ^ This

That boy's parents failed horribly, did not teach him at all, how to show respect to these brave Officers who risk our lives to protect & serve us.
    I feel so safe knowing we have officers like this risking their lives to keep us safe

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Actually I think I read somewhere that the "kid" was following the advice of his father, who is a Kansas City police officer.

His dad being a cop I'm sure he knows that many cops are scumbags, and thus he advised his son to stick up for his rights when stopped.

The only problem is, with a rogue cop standing up for your rights can get you killed, or permanently injured.

Sad thing for the kid is this all probably could have all been avoided if he had just played the "my dad is a cop" card ...
    Actually, reading between the lines it sounds like there may have been a vendetta against the family. The mother had threatened to file a complaint for an illegal search before this happened.

Even worse, for those that soldiered through the entire article, the poor guy continued to be harassed by the cops after they almost killed him. And it wasn't just Runnel as he had "quit" (quit before we fire you). The entire precint lined up behind the cop that was forced to resign and was convicted instead of the "good cop" who's son was victimized.

One bad apple my ass. This doesn't end until cops want to leave the dash/body cam running for their safety.
    Last edited by limequat; 06-09-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Of course, we, the ever $#@!ed taxpayers, get $#@!ed again.

Jury Awards $6 Million

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/ju...lion-cop-teen/

Kansas City, MO – After sentencing a former Independence police officer to four years in prison for violating the constitutional rights of a minor, a federal judge released the dash cam video revealing the overzealous cop tazing the teen for no reason and brutally slamming his head onto the street. Although the innocent teen went into cardiac arrest, which resulted in oxygen deprivation and brain damage, the aggressive officer can be seen in the video repeatedly using excessive force on the boy’s unresponsive body. Now, four years after this savage act was recorded on video, the victim has been awarded over $6 million in damages.

On Friday, a federal jury awarded Bryce Masters, then 17 years old, more than $6 million in damages for the egregious and despicable act caught on video. During the trial witnesses, recalled that Masters went into cardiac arrest as a result of the assault and nearly died.

“Today the jury sent a clear message to law enforcement that excessive force will not be tolerated,” said Masters’ attorney Kirk Presley. “This verdict upholds the constitutional provisions that protect us all from the abuse of power. As a result of this verdict, the Masters family can now truly begin to heal.”

On the afternoon of September 14, 2014, Officer Timothy Runnels pulled over the 17-year-because his license plate matched a plate wanted for a traffic warrant. According to the police, Masters refused to cooperate with Officer Reynolds and resisted arrest.

But according to the police dash cam video, Runnels blatantly escalated a nonviolent situation while violating a boy’s constitutional rights. In his own dash cam video, Runnels can be seen exiting his patrol car during a routine traffic stop before approaching Masters’ passenger-side door. After Runnels orders the teen to roll the window all the way down, Masters responded, “I can’t. The window’s broken.”

“I can’t hear you,” Runnels informed him. “You’ve got to roll it all the way down.”

“You can’t hear me?” Masters asked.

“Roll it all the way down,” Runnels repeated.

“I can hear you,” Masters calmly explained.

“Roll it all the way down,” Runnels incessantly continued.

“For what?” Masters asked.

Obviously loosing his temper, Runnels approached the teen’s door as Masters rolled down his back window.

“My window doesn’t roll down,” Masters told the officer.

Instead of actually listening to Masters, Runnels suddenly opened his door while asking, “Does this one open?”

“Yeah,” Masters answered. “What are you doing?”

“Get out,” Runnels ordered. “Now.”

“For what?” Masters questioned.

“Out!” Runnels repeated while attempting to pull the kid out of the car. “Do you really want to get tazed right here in the middle of your car?”

“For what?” Masters genuinely wanted to know.

“Get your ass out now!” Runnels mindlessly repeated.

“I haven’t done anything, officer,” Masters asserted while remaining in his car. “Am I under arrest?”

“Yes, you’re under arrest,” Runnels finally told him.

“For what?” Masters asked.

“Alright, fine. $#@! it. Just get out,” Runnels lost his cool while deploying his Taser against a fellow officer’s teenage son.

Excessively tazing Masters in the chest for 20 seconds, four times longer than officers are trained to deploy a Taser, Runnels caused the teen to go into a near-fatal cardiac arrhythmia and technically die on the street. Despite the fact that Masters’ body was unresponsive and his breathing was extremely labored, Runnels continued to viciously manhandle the boy by lifting his arms back in a torture position after handcuffing him.

“Told ya!” Runnels boasted over the teen’s dying body.

Dragging Masters’ motionless body across the street, Runnels sadistically slammed the teen face-first onto the pavement for no valid reason. Although Masters clearly required medical assistance as his breathing became heavier and more erratic, Runnels never bothered to check on the boy after rifling through his pockets and calling for an ambulance.

Masters had gone into full cardiac arrest when emergency responders arrived and resuscitated him. Due to severe oxygen deprivation to his brain, Masters was transported to a local hospital and placed in a chemically-induced coma. Bryce’s brother, Colin, told reporters that his brother might have stopped breathing for over five minutes.

According to reports, the license plate on Masters’ car was linked to a warrant belonging to a female who was not present at the scene.

Independence Police Department squad car.
    Image: KMBC

Bryce dealt with the perception that he was somehow to blame on a daily basis. Trying to go back to normal meant putting himself back in the community. The only thing the public knew was what had been reported, and what had been reported was that he resisted a lawful arrest, and his car smelled like marijuana. In every interaction, whether at school or out in public, the question of what he did, what responsibility he must have for his own injury, hung over him.The Independence Police Department was hardest on him. Once Bryce learned to drive again, Independence squad cars followed him several times, sometimes even pulling up next to him so the officers could smirk or wave. On one occasion, he said, he was out bowling when two officers approached him and sarcastically asked how he was doing.
    Matt, Stacy, and Bryce all said that the harassment has become worse. Bryce was recently ticketed for allegedly going 80 mph in a 40 mph zone by an officer who claimed he had paced the car to determine its speed instead of using a radar gun. Bryce denied he was going anywhere near that fast. Even on the night of Runnels’ sentencing, Bryce said, he was followed by an Independence squad car for at least 3 miles. In another incident, a police cruiser blocked him in; a few nights later he was pulled over. The Independence Police Department did not respond to a request for comment.
    Mostly Bryce struggled because he couldn’t rely on his own memory of the incident. He wanted to prove himself, but he didn’t know any of the details. All he had was the instinct that, as the son of a cop himself, he would have made sure to be respectful. “I knew, in my heart, that I didn’t do anything wrong to him,” he said.
    D

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post

As a former cop, he should know how to obtain the home address of the officer that arrested him.