Thread: Justin Amash Chastises Marco Rubio Over PATRIOT Act Reauthorization Stance

Justin Amash Chastises Marco Rubio Over PATRIOT Act Reauthorization Stance

Justin Amash Chastises Marco Rubio Over PATRIOT Act Reauthorization Stance
    The Michigan representative didn't pull his punches at the International Students for Liberty Conference.

Stephanie Slade | Feb. 14, 2015 5:29 pm

Rep. Justin Amash (R–Mich.) threw some shade at Sen. Marco Rubio (R–Fla.) today over the latter's support for permanently reauthorizing the PATRIOT Act.

The congressman was asked during a panel at the 2015 International Students for Liberty Conference, happening now in Washington, D.C., how he felt about the idea that Congress should "rubberstamp" reauthorization of the controversial law. Amash responded: "I think it's embarrassing to say things like that. It reflects a lack of awareness of what the American people think and what the Constitution says. And if [Rubio] thinks that that is the future of the Republican Party, he is very wrong."

Amash said the GOP's job is to stand for liberty, protect people's rights, and curb corporate welfare, adding, "I think we have a great group of people who are pushing the country in the right direction. And we've got some people like Sen. Rubio who want to take us backward, and move the party in the wrong direction, and make it into a very small party."

read more:
    http://reason.com/blog/2015/02/14/ju...rco-rubio-over

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Check!
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin