Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's becoming illegal to warm up you car in winter

It's becoming illegal to warm up you car in winter

Police Promise to Extort, Kidnap, or Lock You in a Cage for Warming Up Your Car

Roeland Park, KS — Recently in a number of US states, police have been writing people tickets for letting their cars warm up in the morning.

Not only are police extorting people for this common practice, but they have also been rummaging through people’s vehicles as a “demonstration” to show them how easily someone could steal their cars or belongings. Ironically the laws are said to be intended to prevent thieves from breaking into cars while the police are doing the job for them instead.

In Roeland Park, violators could face fines of up to $125, and in just a two-hour time span last week, one officer wrote nine tickets to people who had their cars running.

[...]

Sadly, Kansas isn’t the only place with laws against warming up your car, it is also illegal in Texas, Maryland, Ohio, West Virginia, Colorado, Wisconsin, South Carolina, as well as several cities in Minnesota. Other states like Alaska have similar laws, but they are targeted at emissions instead of car thefts.
    Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/warming-car-crime/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Voting harder will fix this.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

They're just trying to "educate" you.

AN IDLING CAR IS A CAR THIEF'S BEST FRIEND - STATE POLICE LAUNCH EDUCATION AND ENFORCEMENT CAMPAIGN

Troopers across Maryland will be working to educate drivers that leaving a vehicle running, or with the keys in it, are the quickest ways to have it stolen. Leaving a vehicle unoccupied with the engine running is also illegal. Violators fortunate enough to find their vehicle still there when they return, just might find a state trooper waiting to issue a citation that carries a fine of $70 and one point. Maryland motor vehicle law states that before a person driving a motor vehicle may leave it unattended, he or she must stop the engine, lock the ignition, remove the key, and set the parking brake.

https://www.mdsp.org/Media/PressRele...4/Default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    They're just trying to "educate" you.
    I wonder if police are exempt from that law.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I wonder if police are exempt from that law.
    Of course!!! As a matter of fact, the only cars I ever see left running (outside of someones driveway) are cop cars.

Of course!!! As a matter of fact, the only cars I ever see left running (outside of someones driveway) are cop cars.
    If you listen really close to an idling cop car, you can hear a recording at really low volume playing over and over "Go ahead - Take me - I dare you."
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Hmm...does that apply to people who have remote car starters to warm up their car?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

This legislation brought to you courtesy of the Heated Garage Construction Lobby.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I believe I'll take my chances with the thieves.

I warm up the F150 as much as twenty minutes sometimes in dead of winter. I will be paying no tickets , all out of bubblegum and spare change . Spent it all on tomahawks and buckshot .

Who uses a parking brake ?

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Hmm...does that apply to people who have remote car starters to warm up their car?
    I wonder too. The ole ladies new Subaru has a remote start. Even if it is unlocked when warming (or cooling) the engine will shut off when the door is opened.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I wonder too. The ole ladies new Subaru has a remote start. Even if it is unlocked when warming (or cooling) the engine will shut off when the door is opened.
    I knew it was only a matter of time before you posted in this thread...
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. I've never, not once (except to change oil on ramps) set the parking brake on an automatic vehicle.

I've also, never parked a standard transmission in neutral, I always always always put it in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I knew it was only a matter of time before you posted in this thread...
    Lol. Why's that?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Lol. Why's that?
    I've heard Filipinos are pretty obsessive over their car warm ups.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd wager the cop writing these tickets left his car idling the entire freaking time.

If I got a ticket for this, it might just be the type of thing that made me go all Roadwork on their asses.

It's not like the cops lift a finger trying to catch car thieves. This must just be to try to improve the city's car theft stats without actually trying to catch thieves. Much easier to penalize the innocent than catch the guilty.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

It is illegal to do in Nashville too (since the city sits in a bowl they have serious air quality issues).
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    Voting harder will fix this.
    Actually it will... voters must mobilize and put pressure on the members of the city council to change this law. Then they must follow up by taking the elected officials out of office during the next election for voting against it.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

No laws like that here in Maine. They would have to arrest the whole state.

It was -1 this morning, you can't just drive away in a car when it's that cold, beside the comfort issue, it barely goes.

I let mine warm up about 20 mins usually.

Also the keys are in it right now and I have no worries about thievery.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    People who have manual shift cars.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I do mine the old fashioned way, I start my car with my main key and lock the doors with the spare.

Also I use my hand aka park breaks all the time. My parents thought me to always put it up when you parked and even though I never understood why, I have been doing it ever since. I guess old habits die hard

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    My thoughts
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    People should go sit at the police stations and do the same thing when they leave their cars running.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    You can't be serious. 20 min? Sometimes I let mine run for 1-2 min in NH. That is more than enough. Why 20 min?
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    No laws like that here in Maine. They would have to arrest the whole state.

It was -1 this morning, you can't just drive away in a car when it's that cold, beside the comfort issue, it barely goes.

Also the keys are in it right now and I have no worries about thievery.
    My battery discharges quickly, so I let it run for a while too. I hear that they have these nifty plug-in devices up in Canada that keep your battery charged--I might have to look into that.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    My battery discharges quickly, so I let it run for a while too. I hear that they have these nifty plug-in devices up in Canada that keep your battery charged--I might have to look into that.
    That's more common in the US. Check the 30 most northern states. Check from OK and NE to VT and ME.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I have always and will always warm up my truck before I drive whether it is cold out or not because every mechanic I know and trust has recommended it for any vehicle. They have said that it is because your vehicle is sitting and you need to get the oil pumping back into the engine and to remove any condensation anywhere. Just for fun I just googled it and there are tons of articles about how horrible it is for your vehicle. Some even suggested that idling your car will damage it. WTF? That's like saying that putting water in the bathtub will destroy the tub.

Anyway, they all just point to how bad it is for the environment (except the ones that say it will damage your car). They best "proof" so far was an "ask a mechanic" page that just said that warming up does nothing to help the vehicle and then point back at the "bad for the environment" arguement and suggest not to do it and instead drive slow to warm it up.

They may be correct that it is not needed because modern vehicles are made different from back when this was what every mechanic would say but I still would think that you would want your vehicle to at least return to idle after starting before putting it into gear and driving off and yet not one site has even said that. Any real mechanics have an opinion on any of this? (I am not a mechanic, I have just changed engines, rebuilt transmissions, and just about every other part that you might have to replace and my last five vehicles have only been to the mechanic when the tool I needed far outweighed the cost of their labor)

Oh and google "warm up car before driving" and you can get some of what I am talking about. I am still going through them to see if I can even find one that says you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Nothing says Freedom like outlawing everything
    I make videos at my YouTube channel. Home of my aquaponics diary. Feel free to subscribe, thumbs up, comment or leave nasty messages, I love them all.

Yeah, I bitcoin! And I love donations!! 1Fs2JaaWVhp69yvUxuTnofomowejZLuMru

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I do mine the old fashioned way, I start my car with my main key and lock the doors with the spare.

Also I use my hand aka park breaks all the time. My parents thought me to always put it up when you parked and even though I never understood why, I have been doing it ever since. I guess old habits die hard
    Same here and I drive an automatic. I put on the brake in neutral and let off of the brake and then put it into park just to take the strain off the transmission. Plus I hate that loud clunk sound when you don't do it and park on a hill.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Nothing says Freedom like outlawing everything
    I make videos at my YouTube channel. Home of my aquaponics diary. Feel free to subscribe, thumbs up, comment or leave nasty messages, I love them all.

Yeah, I bitcoin! And I love donations!! 1Fs2JaaWVhp69yvUxuTnofomowejZLuMru

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast