Thread: US Congress secretly nationalizes all private communications and data

US Congress secretly nationalizes all private communications and data

h/t http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...mash-s-FB-Page
    Congressman Justin Amash via jeffro97 at RonPaulForums

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    SEC. 309. PROCEDURES FOR THE RETENTION OF INCIDENTALLY ACQUIRED COMMUNICATIONS.

(a) Definitions- In this section:
    (1) COVERED COMMUNICATION- The term ‘covered communication’ means any nonpublic telephone or electronic communication acquired without the consent of a person who is a party to the communication, including communications in electronic storage.
    ANY nonpublic communication including everything on the Internet or on private servers not on the internet, or on private or commercial computers everywhere, without your consent.

(2) HEAD OF AN ELEMENT OF THE INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY- The term ‘head of an element of the intelligence community’ means, as appropriate--
    (A) the head of an element of the intelligence community; or
    (B) the head of the department or agency containing such element.
    (3) UNITED STATES PERSON- The term ‘United States person’ has the meaning given that term in section 101 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (50 U.S.C. 1801) (b) Procedures for Covered Communications-
    (1) REQUIREMENT TO ADOPT- Not later than 2 years after the date of the enactment of this Act each head of an element of the intelligence community shall adopt procedures approved by the Attorney General for such element that ensure compliance with the requirements of paragraph (3).

(2) COORDINATION AND APPROVAL- The procedures required by paragraph (1) shall be--
    (A) prepared in coordination with the Director of National Intelligence; and
    (B) approved by the Attorney General prior to issuance.

(3) PROCEDURES-
    (A) APPLICATION- The procedures required by paragraph (1) shall apply to any intelligence collection activity not otherwise authorized by court order (including an order or certification issued by a court established under subsection (a) or (b) of section 103 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (50 U.S.C. 1803)), subpoena, or similar legal process that is reasonably anticipated to result in the acquisition of a covered communication to or from a United States person and shall permit the acquisition, retention, and dissemination of covered communications subject to the limitation in subparagraph (B).
    Intelligence apparently includes domestic police activity section (ii) retention by law enforcement agency. This basically means the databases will fall under the command of the DHS Fusion Centers, now with a wide net to collect "everything" and do complex analysis and data-mining for criminals, traitors, and thought-criminals.

(B) LIMITATION ON RETENTION- A covered communication shall not be retained in excess of 5 years, unless--
    (i) the communication has been affirmatively determined, in whole or in part, to constitute foreign intelligence or counterintelligence or is necessary to understand or assess foreign intelligence or counterintelligence;
    (ii) the communication is reasonably believed to constitute evidence of a crime and is retained by a law enforcement agency;
    All that 'Constitution' stuff notwithstanding, that whole "not authorized by court order" will be retained for the rest of time if we think there might be a crime in there somewhere.

To me this means that whatever they are calling "Carnivore" nowadays will be piped through the DHS and node out to the Fusion Centers. Then law enforcement will have access to all that crazy NSA wiretapping stuff. Forget breaking into our phones...
    (iii) the communication is enciphered or reasonably believed to have a secret meaning;
    We will keep it forever if it's at all encrypted, you know, just because. Even if we think you might be speaking in dog-whistles, we will keep that blog comment FOREVER in your permanent file, buddy.
    (iv) all parties to the communication are reasonably believed to be non-United States persons;
    (v) retention is necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human life, in which case both the nature of the threat and the information to be retained shall be reported to the congressional intelligence committees not later than 30 days after the date such retention is extended under this clause;
    lmao @ imminent threat after 5 years
    (vi) retention is necessary for technical assurance or compliance purposes, including a court order or discovery obligation, in which case access to information retained for technical assurance or compliance purposes shall be reported to the congressional intelligence committees on an annual basis; or
    This actually makes any 'conditions' on retention meaningless. Some guy in a hovel says "comply" with a new records-keeping standard and now they are 20.
    (vii) retention for a period in excess of 5 years is approved by the head of the element of the intelligence community responsible for such retention, based on a determination that retention is necessary to protect the national security of the United States, in which case the head of such element shall provide to the congressional intelligence committees a written certification describing--
    (I) the reasons extended retention is necessary to protect the national security of the United States;
    lmao @ "we will just keep them longer than 5 years if we want to anyway" haha so why even bother to list conditions? ffs

It's fer National Security! Secure the Homeland, every mundane citizen duck and cover while we come around and count your money and test your toilets for drugs.

(II) the duration for which the head of the element is authorizing retention;
    (III) the particular information to be retained; and
    (IV) the measures the element of the intelligence community is taking to protect the privacy interests of United States persons or persons located inside the United States.

gg
    h
    h
    Lord have mercy. Are y'all seeing what I am seeing in this bill?
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I just have no words....
    Well that's because all your words now belong to the NSA.

lol 'all your word... are belong to us.'

"Inadvertently obtained" sounds like you accidentally walk by an investigation one day, but it's the mass surveillance age, and the NSA devours every drop of digital and audio data. With this section I believe that data will be authorized for use in domestic criminal investigations as the datapool is systemized and unified via DHS.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Well now this means that any good lawyer could and should request all data on anyone and everyone they need. For example, if I am suing Nancy Pelosi for the crimes of Obamacare, my lawyer should be able to go through all of her communications to see what evidense of bribes they can find.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    "Inadvertently obtained" sounds like you accidentally walk by an investigation one day, but it's the mass surveillance age, and the NSA devours every drop of digital and audio data. With this section I believe that data will be authorized for use in domestic criminal investigations as the datapool is systemized and unified via DHS.
    They don't call the NSA the "Big Ear" for nothing... we all know they were collecting it anyway, this law doesn't change it, but it's another big step towards really bad things for a once free people, the internet, etc.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Organized Tax strike

It could start with merely 20 people.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Well now this means that any good lawyer could and should request all data on anyone and everyone they need. For example, if I am suing Nancy Pelosi for the crimes of Obamacare, my lawyer should be able to go through all of her communications to see what evidense of bribes they can find.
    I only read gunny's tidbits but are there any exclusions in the bill about whose info can not be retained?

Im pretty sure youll be better off pounding sand than trying to get Pelosi's records but that's the gist of this bill for everyone not already inside the protected power structure. The whole thing strikes me as permanent retention of all communications so dirt can be dug up and spun for damage against anyone that poses a 'problem' to the existing power structure now or in the future. Basically permanent blackmail material at their fingertips. It probably just codifies illegal stuff they've been doing for a long time any way, not granting new powers. Sorta like the telecomm retroactive immunity bill did....
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

We really need a crowdsourced project to create an end to end privacy solution. I'm speaking of custom designed motherboard, In house created CPU, In house created Router, with mandatory end to end strong encryption, and every single chip on any approved device completely vetted. Then a linux distribution with the primary function being to ensure privacy.

This is incredibly disgusting. What the $#@! is wrong with these people in DC?

I have no words.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    We really need a crowdsourced project to create an end to end privacy solution. I'm speaking of custom designed motherboard, In house created CPU, In house created Router, with mandatory end to end strong encryption, and every single chip on any approved device completely vetted. Then a linux distribution with the primary function being to ensure privacy.
    I designed this system 2 years ago.

Anyone notice the if it's encrypted we keep it forever.
    So your iPhone's default encryption...
    If you use https...
    The big players like Google are encrypting to protect against NSA spying. Use encryption and NSA owns your data.

Mmmmm Hmmmm...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    If you use https...
    The big players like Google are encrypting to protect against NSA spying. Use encryption and NSA owns your data.

Mmmmm Hmmmm...

-t

Good point.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    If you use https...

Mmmmm Hmmmm...

-t
    They'll collect it all anyway and keep it forever, encrypted or not. Do we really trust anything they are supposed to bind themselves to after lying about PRISM and keeping it secret all these years? You might as well use encryption. If everyone is doing it, that becomes a headache for the oligarchs.

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    They'll collect it all anyway and keep it forever, encrypted or not. Do we really trust anything they are supposed to bind themselves to after lying about PRISM and keeping it secret all these years? You might as well use encryption. If everyone is doing it, that becomes a headache for the oligarchs.

Exactly.

I was just thinking about what a pain in the ass it would be for these guys if *everyone* started encrypting everything. If everyone just encrypted their video streaming, the CIA wouldn't be hard pressed to find enough data storage to hold it all.

Meh, I have spent most of my adult life operating on the assumption the government can monitor everything.

This is just the government admitting they do.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Exactly.

I was just thinking about what a pain in the ass it would be for these guys if *everyone* started encrypting everything. If everyone just encrypted their video streaming, the CIA wouldn't be hard pressed to find enough data storage to hold it all.
    I can't seem to find the article but I thought I read that encrypted global internet data has jumped from 9% to 28% or something ever since Snowden released the documents.

If people don't trust Google or Apple when they say their Android L & iOS9 is encrypted (I don't follow apple, iOS8?), there is another option called Blackphone. It is funded by a group called Silent Circle.

Isn't the "keeping encrypted info infinitely" point moot when we know that our gov't streams our communications to other countries that are not subject to our, or their own laws in regards to that information, encrypted or not?

Very happy to be paying for such a service.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi