Thread: Free lunches! The taxpayers were just giving 'em away!

Free lunches! The taxpayers were just giving 'em away!

Did you have kids you can't afford? Are you tired of watching your childless neighbor go on bass fishing trips and enjoying life without financial burden because he carefully planned ahead and knows what he wants? Wish you could make him pay for something he neither wants nor needs? Rome, Georgia public schools can help:

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/...a4bcf6878.html

Rome City Schools parents short on cash won’t have to look under sofa cushions for change for lunch money next year.

Brandy Money, nutrition coordinator for the school system, said lunches will be free for students during the 2014-2015 school year. The issue was discussed during Tuesday’s Rome Board of Education meeting.

Rome City Schools qualifies for a USDA-sponsored program that funds the free lunches.

“At this time of year, we are usually discussing the upcoming expected costs of lunches for the new year, but this year, thanks to this program, we don’t have to,” said Superintendent Jeff Bearden. “All students will be able to have meals for free.”
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 07-11-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Paid to breed...

What could possibly go wrong?

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

Same thing here. All Wilkes County students qualify for free breakfast and lunch. I think you have to opt out to not get it free. We are supposedly an impoverished county.

Quote Originally Posted by olehounddog View Post
    Same thing here. All Wilkes County students qualify for free breakfast and lunch. I think you have to opt out to not get it free. We are supposedly an impoverished county.
    Yeah, the thing is, Rome, Georgia is not even the poorest area of Georgia. Compare it with a place like Jeff Davis county, Georgia, where the signs say 'please dump trash on the side of the road' and the people have more teeth than dollars (which ain't much of either), you begin to question what classifies as poverty in our society.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Paid to breed...

What could possibly go wrong?
    Well don't forget in America's dystopian future, "Tuesday, is Soylent Green Day"
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

LOL they will be using surplus from experimental crops. If they are serving beans or berries every day, you better brown bag it.

"its for the children"

Ketchup will count as a state sanctioned vegetable serving, chrerries swimming in red dye and heavy syrup for fruit, pink slime burgers for meat, and 50% high fructose corn syrup by calorie chocolate milk counts as a dairy.

Bread? Let them eat cake!
    Last edited by presence; 07-11-2014 at 05:08 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They've been giving lunches away in California for a long time. In fact I'm sort of remembering them extending into the weekends.

I was pretty steamed about it. Now I'm more festered and rotten.

They give them away free here including when schools out in the summer. That being said while I oppose it philosophically, it is hard to think about a kid going hungry. There's a group here called Kids Meals that partners with companies to provide private funding for meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    They give them away free here including when schools out in the summer. That being said while I oppose it philosophically, it is hard to think about a kid going hungry. There's a group here called Kids Meals that partners with companies to provide private funding for meals.
    Nothing like a "single mother" pulling up to load her free $#@! into a 2y/o Beemer....

Or the crack monkey dropping his/her kids off to "daycare" so they can go do their thing...

Sure some folks actually need help but government is the least fit to determine who.

This has nothing to do with feeding hungry children.

This has everything to do with feeding hungry contractors.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Sure some folks actually need help but government is the least fit to determine who.
    I can absolutely vouch for this. I work in a hospital ER and if you say you're poor and can't afford your bill, you can apply for indigent care programs paid out of the hospital's budget.

But to do that, the hospital will basically want to know EVERYTHING about your finances. You can't just say, "oops I'm poor" and expect money to be shoveled into your pockets like government tends to do with welfare programs. The hospital is going to make damn sure you need the help. Government just wants to you vote a certain way in November.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 07-12-2014 at 05:57 AM.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.