Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancel All Student Debt

Cancel All Student Debt

http://cancelallstudentdebt.com/

Dear President Obama, Senators, and Members of Congress:

Americans now owe $1.3 trillion in student debt. Eighty-six percent of that money is owed to the United States government. This is a crushing burden for more than 40 million Americans and their families.

I urge you to take immediate action to forgive all student debt, public and private.

American Federation of Teachers
    Campaign for America's Future
    Courage Campaign
    Daily Kos
    Democracy for America
    LeftAction
    Project Springboard
    RH Reality Check
    RootsAction
    Student Debt Crisis
    The Nation
    Working Families

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    a more sensible solution would be to have normal bankruptcy laws apply to student debt.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    a more sensible solution would be to have normal bankruptcy laws apply to student debt.
    Let's get the government out of the loan business all together. It's a subsidy of the "higher" education complex as it it stands now. A free market would bring the price DOWN.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Let's get the government out of the loan business all together. It's a subsidy of the "higher" education complex as it it stands now. A free market would bring the price DOWN.
    Government needs out of the mortgage and insurance business too......

At this point? $#@! it. Why not? We've spent more money on dumber $#@!. Throw in a car for everyone while we're at it. Nothing fancy. And a years supply of food too, people need food. What are we at now, about 4-5 trillion? A drop in the bucket. We can print more money to bomb the brown folks if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    At this point? $#@! it. Why not? We've spent more money on dumber $#@!. Throw in a car for everyone while we're at it. Nothing fancy. And a years supply of food too, people need food. What are we at now, about 4-5 trillion? A drop in the bucket. We can print more money to bomb the brown folks if need be.
    Don't forget turbocharging the presses to pay for bombing red-n-yellow folks if they don't fall in line........

Yeah, great. My daughter had been working overtime and spent almost every dime to pay off her loans early. She's now pursuing her Master's and the other loans are gone. Does she get a refund for being so foolish as to think that if she incurred a debt she would pay it?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

When you give out 100k loans to study worthless degrees....
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yeah, great. My daughter had been working overtime and spent almost every dime to pay off her loans early. She's now pursuing her Master's and the other loans are gone. Does she get a refund for being so foolish as to think that if she incurred a debt she would pay it?
    Government isn't going to get out of the "loan" business any more than it's going to get out of the free money business...

After all people neeeeeed big brother to secure their future..

I agree.

Why should We the Taxpayers who worked our own way through college and did the sensible thing of going to a Community College first, then maybe a cheaper State College while working part-time, then paid back our loans diligently for many years, pay for those who had to go the expensive fancy route while partying and now want us to pay for their spendthrift ways. Not me. Just like no way should We the Taxpayers pay for those who had to go into debt and get a fancy big house they couldn't afford and then expect those of us who got a small ranch house we could afford - after saving for years for a down payment - have to bail them out and forgive their mortgages and let them walk away. No way.

This entitlement generation is spoiled rotten as it is - of course we (baby-boomers) spoiled them, but still.....

Did the government force people to take out those loans? Maybe all loans should be thrown out and paid for by taxpayers instead of those who agreed to borrow money. Taxpayers should support free college education for anybody who wants it. No loans needed.

Sure, just be sure to turn all of your diplomas back in.

At this point, I don't think it really matter what they do; the damage has already been done. It is just a matter of time before we all reap what they have sown.

This is bull$#@!. What about those who paid for it without loans? Do THEY get a refund?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I could almost get behind this one - then we'd have interesting studies showing which school has the most worthless diploma.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Ending the cultural emphasis on "college or bust" at the expense of vocational jobs would go a long way to encourage responsible borrowing practices.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothbardian Girl View Post
    Ending the cultural emphasis on "college or bust" at the expense of vocational jobs would go a long way to encourage responsible borrowing practices.
    Vocational jobs are for the immigrants don't ya' know?

The citizenry here is entitled to either a $50k starting job or welfare....

Spoken tongue in cheek by a carpenter

Should we forgive Mortgages that are difficult to pay down ?

Schools should stop accepting students who cannot pay. It is possible to work part time during school and full time in the summers to save enough money to go to college if a student can do without the partying, expensive clothes, latest smart phone, and fancy car. L
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Why is veterinarian school so expensive?
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Who needs a diploma? It's all about the job application. What are you going to do, arrest people who said they took classes and passed classes that they actually took, but simply did not pay for?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

My proposal: change the bankruptcy laws to allow full discharge of student loans in bankruptcy. However, to make it quasi-fair for those who paid their tuitions (either directly or through an already-paid-off loan), those who already paid off their loans should be able to deduct that amount from their taxes over the next ten-year period.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    Most students do not have jobs when they graduate and would automatically qualify to discharge the entire loan immediately upon graduation. That is not sensible.

Sensible would be getting the government out of the student loan business, and letting the banks and/or business decide which degrees should be financed at what rates.
    Last edited by angelatc; 03-15-2015 at 03:43 PM.

The real solution here is to get Govt out of Education, period.

This is in terms of both Finance and Regulation. At least for Colleges. Let the Free Market dictate the price of education. Without all the Govt Money thrown around at colleges, they have to do something other than jacking up costs at a rate that is five times higher than the rate of inflation. And you know where all this extra money is getting spent? Administration, not the quality of education. But that should be pretty obvious to everyone by now.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    The real solution here is to get Govt out of Education, period.

This is in terms of both Finance and Regulation. At least for Colleges. Let the Free Market dictate the price of education. Without all the Govt Money thrown around at colleges, they have to do something other than jacking up costs at a rate that is five times higher than the rate of inflation. And you know where all this extra money is getting spent? Administration, not the quality of education. But that should be pretty obvious to everyone by now.
    Yup. Even the authors of the letter in the OP got that.

Dear President Obama, Senators, and Members of Congress:
    Americans now owe $1.3 trillion in student debt. Eighty-six percent of that money is owed to the United States government. This is a crushing burden for more than 40 million Americans and their families.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

If you bail them out, aren't you bailing out the universities as well? I'd let their entire credit pricing model crash and burn.

Demand for higher education has been pretty inelastic. That is, changes in prices have not led to changes in demand. So far, they have had no trouble filling up spaces even at higher tuition rates. Their pricing model seems to be working for them.

Just give everyone a lot of money (except HB, he'll just blow it on himself) Better that than the banks.
    Last edited by Danke; 03-15-2015 at 07:17 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

In some cases that wouldn't be a bad bargain.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Demand for higher education has been pretty inelastic. That is, changes in prices have not led to changes in demand. So far, they have had no trouble filling up spaces even at higher tuition rates. Their pricing model seems to be working for them.
    Give it some time and see if the people that borrowed all this money can repay any of their debt. Most likely they will drown in it.

---

Problem again is what we have is a system of Indoctrination, not Education.

A: Get Govt out of Education.
    B: Educate, dont Indoctrinate

Next problem is that people are not learning because learning is enjoyable. They learn for the sake of Workforce Training, and do as little as possible to get by with marginally passing grades, but there is no real inherit interest in the subjects that most people study. I think far too many go to College only for skillsets to land a good paying job, regardless if that job makes them happy. Ever hear a ten year old say that when they want to grow up, they want to be involved with Administration of Derivitative Financing? They pay for Education and receive extended Indoctrination. It is this Indoctrination that most people recognize to some degree that turns them away from the idea that Learning can be fun, even if it isnt particularly useful. At the same time, the Education / Indoctrination system makes every effort to replace the Family Model as the source of interest. Take classes in Art Appreciation where you can look at a splatter of paint on a stained bedsheet and call it a Masterpiece. That is not Art Appreciation, that is telling someone to like what they are told to like. That is Indoctrination. $#@! Sandwiches are tasty and yummy. That is just as much Indoctrination as Art Appreciation. So is the Indoctrination to place Acquisition of Money ahead of all other values and goals. The end result of all this Indoctrination is an entirely trained Work Force that is just smart enough to do the job but not smart enough to ask if this is the job that they should be doing in the first place. They are smart enough to think what they are told to think. Working for the Violence Dept of the US Govt is profitable to them, but are not smart enough to ask if they should be committing that violence to begin with, nor are they smart enough to recognize that their associated goal of Money is the very leash by which they themselves are controlled, which results in the creation of Cops.

"If education is beaten by workforce training, civilization dies." - CS Lewis
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast