Thread: Senate passes tariff-relief bill

Senate passes tariff-relief bill

The Senate cleared legislation on Thursday that would eliminate duties on imported raw materials used for production that aren’t readily available in the United States.
    The Miscellaneous Tariff Bill Act, which passed the House in January, was approved by a voice vote as the chamber wrapped up its work for the week.

Because the Senate amended the legislation, it will need to bounce back to and be passed again by the House — which left town on Thursday until September — before it can head to President Trump's desk.

“This legislation will help American companies compete across the globe and create economic benefits for consumers by reducing trade barriers for American manufacturers that need products that are difficult to obtain in the United States,” Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), the chairman of the Finance Committee, said in a statement.

More at: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...ff-relief-bill
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is being strategically delayed for the fall election cycle?
    They all could have done this a tad earlier, if it cakewalked thru
    the senate chamber that Senator Mitch McConnell is ML to!!

Thumbs up Senate unanimously votes to repeal Trump's tariff taxes - Now headed to the House

The US Senate is MAGA by unanimously voting to reject President Trump's big stupid government, tariff tax and spend agenda. A bipartisan smack-down of The Donald.
    Effectively a tax cut for Joe & Jane Sixpack.

Defying Trump, US Senate Votes to Cut Tariffs on Hundreds of Items Made in China

The move is seen to run in direct conflict with the trade strategy of President Trump's cabinet, a member of which warned Thursday that the United States and the European Union would now be joining forces "in the fight against China."

The Senate unanimously passed a bill cutting or completely eliminating tariffs on foreign-made consumer goods including toasters, industrial goods like chemicals, and about 1,660 other items, almost half of which are produced in China, Reuters has reported.

The bill passed unanimously, with no debate. The measure, called the "miscellaneous tariff bill," has now passed in both the Senate and the House, with the two chambers now expected to resolve minor differences before sending the bill to the president's desk for signing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

The real question is, are tariffs ok as a leverage tool if the result is lower tariffs across the board?

Like whats happening with EU, Trump got his wish rather quickly than I think even he expected. China will hold out for longer because they want to let the world know they can't be pushed around but the leverage is all in Trump's hands now that EU is playing along. China knows they are wrong and eventually they will have to let up.
    Last edited by eleganz; 07-29-2018 at 12:37 AM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    The real question is, are tariffs ok if the result is lower tariffs across the board?

Like whats happening with EU, Trump got his wish rather quickly than I think even he expected. China will hold out for longer because they want to let the world know they can't be pushed around but the leverage is all in Trump's hands now that EU is playing along. China knows they are wrong to build a tariff wall and eventually they will have to let up.
    Hopefully this bill won't undermine Trump's hand, I don't think it will, China has some very big economic problems that are just starting to emerge, the current regime may not survive even if they make a deal.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 07-29-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    The real question is, are tariffs ok as a leverage tool if the result is lower tariffs across the board?

Like whats happening with EU, Trump got his wish rather quickly than I think even he expected. China will hold out for longer because they want to let the world know they can't be pushed around but the leverage is all in Trump's hands now that EU is playing along. China knows they are wrong and eventually they will have to let up.
    I have a problem with the executive branch having at-whim authority over tariffs, regardless of how they are used.

Also, it's yet to be seen what will happen with the EU tariffs.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I have a problem with the executive branch having at-whim authority over tariffs, regardless of how they are used.
    I don't in theory but it was unconstitutional for Congress to delegate the authority to the president so I object to them braking the rules, however I support Trump using the power until Congress takes it back from all future presidents.
    I would support a Constitutional amendment to give the president the authority that congress delegated because trade relations involve negotiations with outside powers and committees are incapable of conducting decent negotiations.

If they fail to live up to the agreement Trump will tariff them again, I expect them to follow through because they need us more than we need them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't in theory but it was unconstitutional for Congress to delegate the authority to the president so I object to them braking the rules, however I support Trump using the power until Congress takes it back from all future presidents.
    You support unconstitutional action so long as it agrees with your beliefs? Unsurprising.

I would support a Constitutional amendment to give the president the authority that congress delegated because trade relations involve negotiations with outside powers and committees are incapable of conducting decent negotiations.
    Treaties are functionally legislation.

If they fail to live up to the agreement Trump will tariff them again, I expect them to follow through because they need us more than we need them.
    Maybe. There is no reason to pre-celebrate every announcement that he makes, when there's no guarantee that anything will actually come of it.

I anticipate that Trumpkins will soon develop an entirely new definition of 'lower.'
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder if they'll get the balls to tell him to bring the troops home until he gets Constitutional authority to deploy them?

Hahahaha!

I don't like his methodology, but if you haven't been paying attention, his actions seem intent on forcing Congress to do their Constitution duties. Take the wall for instance, and the "zero tolerance" plan. He's forcing Congress to act on immigration issues. The non-stop wars and war mongering? Forcing Congress to quit giving the executive so much leeway. These tariffs...ditto. It's like he is specifically abusing the power that has been delegated to the executive for too long.
    Then again he could just be using the powers delegated to the executive for his own purposes.
    Either way...as long as it's causing talk and action to get Congress to Congressin' it ain't a bad thing.

You support unconstitutional action so long as it agrees with your beliefs? Unsurprising.
    The unconstitutional action was done by congress delegating their power, I support them undoing that or making it constitutional.

Treaties are functionally legislation.
    Who said anything about a treaty? A treaty is legally binding, negotiations are not.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Constitution says the power to tariff belongs to Congress. Trump's power is only supposed to be in times of national emergency. He declared that importing steel and aluminum from Canada was a "matter of national security".