Thread: Son of Ronald Reagan: Rand Paul 'gets' my dad

Son of Ronald Reagan: Rand Paul 'gets' my dad

In the midst of the war of words between Senators Rand Paul (R-Ky) and Ted Cruz (R-Texas) over who best represents Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy, the late president’s son Michael Reagan has weighed in on Twitter.

“Rand Paul Gets it” Reagan wrote Tuesday, Tweeting the link to Paul’s Breitbart op-ed, “Exclusive–Rand Paul: Stop Warping Reagan’s Foreign Policy.”

Reagan is an author, talk host and adopted son of our 44th president.

Paul’s Breitbart column was a response to Cruz, who said on ABC’s This Week Sunday, “I’m a big fan of Rand Paul. He and I are good friends. But I don’t agree with him on foreign policy.”

Cruz continued, “I think U.S. leadership is critical in the world. And I agree with him that we should be very reluctant to deploy military force abroad. But I think there is a vital role, just as Ronald Reagan did… The United States has a responsibility to defend our values.”

Paul responded in his Breitbart column, “Every Republican likes to think he or she is the next Ronald Reagan. Some who say this do so for lack of their own ideas and agenda. Reagan was a great leader and President. But too often people make him into something he wasn’t in order to serve their own political purposes.”

Paul added that he greatly admired “that Reagan was not rash or reckless with regard to war,” citing his decision to withdraw US soldiers from Beirut in 1983 after the tragic attack on Marines barracks and noted that Republican hawks harshly criticized Reagan’s diplomacy with Russia.

On Monday, Paul told Sean Hannity on Fox News, “I’m not real excited about him mischaracterizing my views and won’t let that pass.”

The Cruz-Paul sparring began over how to best approach the situation regarding Russia and Ukraine.

Wrote Paul at Breitbart, “Reagan also believed in diplomacy and demonstrated a reasoned approach to our nuclear negotiations with the Soviets. Reagan’s shrewd diplomacy would eventually lessen the nuclear arsenals of both countries.”

He added, “There is a time for military action, such as after 9/11. There is a time for diplomacy and the strategic use of soft power, such as now with Russia. Diplomacy requires resolve but also thoughtfulness and intelligence.”

Cruz has called for sanctions and a more aggressive stance by the United States. Paul has also called for sanctions and wrote at Time Monday, “But let me be clear: If I were President, I wouldn’t let Vladimir Putin get away with it.”

Rand Paul won the presidential straw poll at CPAC for the second straight year on Saturday and also won Instapundit’s recent straw poll.
    - See more at: http://rare.us/story/michael-reagan-....Q0v4SsX4.dpuf

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Excellent ammunition for us to use.

Hey Cruz.... put that in your pipe and smoke it! Oh that's right, you're against legalization and freedom.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Either that, or whoever does the best job of preserving, protecting and defending fond memories of Ronald Reagan wins the Republican primary--regardless of the reality of history.

In which case Rand Paul is right on track! Roll on, Rand!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

The clip mentioned

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

What exactly is Putin "getting away with" here? And even if he was getting away with anything, why does American have to slap on the Superman cape and go stop him?

Other than that, it's okay I guess. Rand is better than Cruz on this issue by a long shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Whew, for a second I was worried this was going to be the nutty biological son.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare
    Reagan is an author, talk host and adopted son of our 44th president.
    So wait, Michael Reagan is Obama's notorious adopted son? He looks nothing like Trayvon Martin!
    Last edited by RonPaulFanInGA; 03-12-2014 at 12:05 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    new column from Michael Reagan:

Rand Paul Gets It: 2 Reasons Why
    At CPAC, Sen. Paul had a personal victory; but he also did the right thing for the GOP.

MICHAEL REAGAN — MARCH 13, 2014

I disagree with some of Rand Paul’s more libertarian positions, especially on social issues. And I’m certainly not endorsing him or anyone else to be the Republican nominee for president at this time. But Sen. Paul of Kentucky did two things recently that won my favor.

He showed the 2,500 conservative activists at the CPAC conference last weekend that he understands what the GOP must do if it wants to take the Senate this fall and win back the White House.

And then on Monday, he wrote a good column for Breitbart.com calling for his fellow Republican presidential wannabes to, as the headline said, “Stop warping Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy.”

In his Breitbart column, he did two good things. He reminded his more bellicose fellow presidential competitors that their hero Ronald Reagan was a peacemaker and a negotiator, not a war-maker.

Saying he admired Ronald Reagan because he “was not rash or reckless with regard to war,” Sen. Paul pointed out that my father, who believed in “Peace Through Strength,” was attacked harshly by the hawks in the Republican Party.

He was called an appeaser for meeting with Mikhail Gorbachev in Iceland and for pulling American forces out of Lebanon after 241 Marines died in the suicide bombing there in 1983.

In his column, Sen. Paul also told conservative Republicans something else they need to remember — something I’ve spent half my life preaching and he has been practicing.

Sen. Paul wrote that he doesn’t claim to be the next Ronald Reagan and will not engage in disparaging his fellow Republicans for “not being sufficiently Reaganesque.”

read more:
    http://www.westernjournalism.com/ran...ets-2-reasons/