Thread: Justin Amash for Speaker of the House

Justin Amash for Speaker of the House

She makes a great case.

This 35-year-old Republican congressman could revolutionize the House. He should be speaker.
    http://theweek.com/articles/580589/3...should-speaker

The race to replace John Boehner is on. And things got even more pressing when Boehner announced yesterday that the House GOP would hold early elections for new leadership — on Thursday, October 8 — a move that seems intended to stop the opposition from having enough time to organize.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is clearly the odds-on favorite to become the next House speaker. Still, conservative Republicans are casting about for Tea Party-friendly alternatives who might be able to capitalize on the fact that McCarthy doesn't quite have the votes. But their picks, like Reps. Daniel Webster (R-Fla.) and Peter Roskam (R-Ill.), don't exactly fire the imagination.

I have a better suggestion: Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.). Here are five reasons why...
    h/t http://www.theamericanconservative.com/
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Of course, he'd make a great speaker!

But, who is going to support him ?

Are there going to be democrats willing to vote for him because he's a fair player ? Or will not so conservative Republicans vote for him to not lose the speakership to Pelosi ? I think it's pretty hard.. Maybe with the right shuffling of the deck it's possible.
    "I am a bird"

Yes. Justin for speaker. I just tweeted #amashforspeaker. What else would be a good hashtag...

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Yes. Justin for speaker. I just tweeted #amashforspeaker. What else would be a good hashtag...
    #Amash4SpeakerofHouse?

This is a bit more plausible that Lew's drive to get Ron chosen.

Let's not waste one second on this. need to be realistic & push guy across winning line.

The first thing that needs to happen is to keep McCarthy from getting enough votes. GOP members who vote for anyone but McCarthy will make that happen.

After that, the contest becomes more interesting...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    #dontreplaceboehnerwithanother$#@!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would love for this to happen, but if it was possible I don't think Massie would have made the decision to get behind Webster.

Yes, Webster is the best shot we have for a Speaker who will be fair towards the Liberty Movement.

Pfffttt....Massie is better than Amash any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Pfffttt....Massie is better than Amash any day of the week.
    Yes.

None of the liberty delegation is running for speaker though. Congressmen voting for either would be cool, but they aren't even going to vote for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Webster doesn't stand a chance because he is not part of the establishment. Out of the two main options, Chaffetz is preferable to McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCollins View Post
    Webster doesn't stand a chance because he is not part of the establishment. Out of the two main options, Chaffetz is preferable to McCarthy.
    Nope. Chaffetz is the scumbag who threw people off their committees.

"It would be hard to replace John Boehner with someone who also kicks people off committees for their votes," sniped Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., who is backing another candidate, Rep. Daniel Webster, R-Fla.
    http://wbt.com/ap-sources-chaffetz-t...inst-mccarthy/
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Nope. Chaffetz is the scumbag who threw people off their committees.

http://wbt.com/ap-sources-chaffetz-t...inst-mccarthy/
    Ideologically Chaffetz is significantly more in line with us than McCarthy. More fiscally conservative, more skeptical of the NSA, for withdrawal from Iraq and strongly against the Libya intervention. As a freshman, he was even a member of Amash's Liberty Caucus.

House GOP's 'govern by crisis' model is broken
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/04/opinio...hip-is-broken/

Speaker Boehner and other Republican leaders have repeatedly favored a "govern by crisis" approach that abandons the regular order of the House. Despite having months to act before legislative deadlines, leaders routinely wait until the last moment to plot a course of action, publicly concede in advance major negotiating points, insist that Republicans have no alternatives, refuse to allow amendments and then criticize colleagues for not voting to avert the crisis leadership caused.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCollins View Post
    Ideologically Chaffetz is significantly more in line with us than McCarthy.
    Is this not a distinction without a difference?

I categorically refuse to play the "pick the lesser evil" game. I don't care if I get nowhere in my life, so to speak.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/06/r...rrible-views-w

Last week when libertarian conservative Michigan Rep. Justin Amash's name was floated as a potential replacement for House Speaker John Boehner, I worried that a higher profile for Amash would come at the expense of his role as a legislative rebel.

If anything, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) is almost a polar opposite of Amash while being within the same party. Chaffetz has announced he is running for consideration as speaker, challenging House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) for the spot.

Here are some things Chaffetz has said or done that should concern libertarians (and others):
    --Albert J. Nock