Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons for Term Limits

Pros and Cons for Term Limits

I know this subject comes up periodically, but I think it may be time to revisit term limits for Congress. I'm interested in hearing the opinions of others on this topic. Dr. Paul was for it. And, it would help lesson the control multi-national corporations have on government by not allowing politicians to become entrenched, and therefore, controllable. I think it would be a lot harder to buy politicians if they knew they couldn't make a career out of being one.

What say you?
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm for it; but its not worth talking about since you would have to get congress to vote for it and term limit themselves. which means you'd already have a noncorrupt bunch of politicians elected and it wouldn't be necessary. putting it in at the state level wont even work since the courts have ruled that the states cant put such limits on federal offices...
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-07-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Pro would be; no one stays in for life. Congress has the finally say.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

How do we get Congress to pass it? Let me put the question to you this way: If someone was willing to pay you one million dollars to come up with a strategy that would coerce Congress into amending the Constitution to add term limits, would you accept the challenge? And if so, explain how you would do it.

I would think public pressure would have to be where we would start. So, first and foremost, you'd have to have a PR campaign. Then, you'd have to get candidates running for office behind it, as well as already elected officials (not planning to run for Prez).

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    How do we get Congress to pass it?
    There is only one way left to change this government, writing legislation hasn't worked, voting hasn't worked, protesting hasn't worked..

Asking congress to limit itself in any way is akin to asking the police to police the police...

You'll get charged top dollar and nothing will change.

I would think public pressure would have to be where we would start. So, first and foremost, you'd have to have a PR campaign. Then, you'd have to get candidates running for office behind it, as well as already elected officials (not planning to run for Prez).
    The republicans used it in '94 as part of:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_with_America

of course, they didnt' pass it; but it helped em get elected.

How do we get Congress to pass it? Let me put the question to you this way: If someone was willing to pay you one million dollars to come up with a strategy that would coerce Congress into amending the Constitution to add term limits, would you accept the challenge? And if so, explain how you would do it.

Public pressure is definitely a good start. I believe most of the liberty candidates would agree to term limits.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I have mixed feelings about term limits.

On the one hand, there are a lot of excellent reasons to favor term limits:

On the other, I can also come up with a few much better reasons to oppose them...

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is only one way left to change this government, writing legislation hasn't worked, voting hasn't worked, protesting hasn't worked..

Asking congress to limit itself in any way is akin to asking the police to police the police...

You'll get charged top dollar and nothing will change.
    I don't agree. I think it's worth a try to apply public pressure on these numbskulls. I've always believed that fighting in this movement involves a multipronged approach. It's not enough to campaign for someone, we need to make fundamental changes. We need to expose the politicians, lobbyists, and special interests who are against term limits. We can use Jerry Doyle, Pete Santilli, Fox News, The Blaze, Drudge Report, and many others to disseminate, en masse, the exposé.

Tulsa, I think term limits would give us many more Ron Pauls. If people go in knowing their time is limited, they are more likely to be people with honorable intentions.

Ron Paul would have been forced from the scene much sooner if there were term limits.

Term limits make politians even less responsible to the people who elect them and more responsible to the special interests which can help them get their job. It gives much more power to the lobbyists and unelected career civil servants who would really be running things while elected officials have a shorter time to grab whatever they can for themselves.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-07-2014 at 12:06 PM.

I don't agree. I think it's worth a try to apply public pressure on these numbskulls.
    That's the beauty of the "liberty" idea....We don't have to agree on the method or execution, heck we don't really have to agree on the desired result as long as we can agree that what we have isn't working for either of us..

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Ron Paul would have been forced from the scene much sooner if there were term limits.
    So would Robert Byrd, LBJ, John McCain, Sheila Jackson Lee, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid...

And Deborah has a point. Several of them might have looked at the fact that they couldn't make a career of it and gotten jobs instead.

Care to address that, or are we just doing the drive-by 'quip 'n' run' today?

Term limits make politians even less responsible to the people who elect them and more responsible to the special interests which can help them get their job. It gives much more power to the lobbyists and unelected career civil servants who would really be running things while elected officials have a shorter time to grab whatever they can for themselves.
    Ah, you were editing.

Well, you've described the situation exactly as it exists today, but with a significant exception: With term limits there's nothing people have to lose by taking their brib--er, I mean campaign contributions and then breaking their promises to them, once in office, rather than breaking their promises to us.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-07-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Some States have term limits for State offices, they don't have anymore liberty on average. Getting elected takes money and work, the establishment would still beat us all the time, just like they do in term limit States.

What we need to do is: A: get voters to vote over issues, and record, not cheap slogans and who's material they have seen. And B: Get enough liberty people involved locally as volunteers to nullify the Establishments money.

Term limits is a 'silver bullet' solution that will fix nothing, our Liberty incumbents win their reelection too. Take a guy like Jonathan Stickland, he puts his live on hold for about a year. Knocks on thousands of doors and WINS. YEAH! What if he was only allowed to serve one 2 year term? Now after he retires, you need to find another young liberty guy with Identical principles to put HIS life on hold.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Is this your opinion? Or do you have something to back this up? Can you imagine if there were no term limits on the Presidency?

Tulsa, I think term limits would give us many more Ron Pauls. If people go in knowing their time is limited, they are more likely to be people with honorable intentions.
    No, it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to run a Congressional campaign. Most of us are broke.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Some States have term limits for State offices, they don't have anymore liberty on average. Getting elected takes money and work, the establishment would still beat us all the time, just like they do in term limit States.

What we need to do is: A: get voters to vote over issues, and record, not cheap slogans and who's material they have seen. And B: Get enough liberty people involved locally as volunteers to nullify the Establishments money.

Term limits is a 'silver bullet' solution that will fix nothing, our Liberty incumbents win their reelection too. Take a guy like Jonathan Stickland, he puts his live on hold for about a year. Knocks on thousands of doors and WINS. YEAH! What if he was only allowed to serve one 2 year term? Now after he retires, you need to find another young liberty guy with Identical principles to put HIS life on hold.
    Why set the limits so low? How about Representatives get 6 terms, and Senators get 2?

No, it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to run a Congressional campaign. Most of us are broke.
    There's a possibility that could change with term limits via more news coverage, more debates, less need for political ads.

Why set the limits so low? How about Representatives get 6 terms, and Senators get 2?
    Whatever you like I don't see the point in that though.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

There's a possibility that could change with term limits via more news coverage, more debates, less need for political ads.
    No chance at all, there would be less coverage. And you still need to get your message out to all the voters.
    Again, look at the States that do have term limits.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

How would term limits change the number of political ads or increase media coverage?

Whatever you like I don't see the point in that though.
    Do you not agree that putting term limits on the Presidency after FDR died was a good thing?

Is this your opinion? Or do you have something to back this up? Can you imagine if there were no term limits on the Presidency?
    It takes time to "learn the ropes" on how to get things done in Washington. Those who spend all their time there- the lobbyists and the career government workers- will have that info and be able to use it while the rapidly turning over elected officials won't for a while into their terms. That gives them the real power. They will end up writing all the laws- in ways which of course will benefit themselves.

How would term limits change the number of political ads or increase media coverage?
    I'm just thinking it might evolve into that kind of situation since there would be so many more candidates in the pool, not all of which would be millionaires, but everyday people, making it more of a human interest story. I could see it trending toward that. Or is that too Pollyanaish?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It takes time to "learn the ropes" on how to get things done in Washington. Those who spend all their time there- the lobbyists and the career government workers- will have that info and be able to use it while the rapidly turning over elected officials won't for a while into their terms. That gives them the real power. They will end up writing all the laws- in ways which of course will benefit themselves.
    Not if people run on Ron's platform! That man never took a dime from those creeps.
    Last edited by Deborah K; 05-07-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo

Not if people run on Ron's platform! That man never took a dime for those creeps.
    Unfortunately Ron is an uncommon man.

Do you not agree that putting term limits on the Presidency after FDR died was a good thing?
    I dunno, we sure have had a buttload of liberty presidents since then, haven't we Deborah K?
    Besides it's a different ball game, IMHO. I am not for repealing presidential term limits, now that we have them. But they did not fix anything.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

No chance at all, there would be less coverage. And you still need to get your message out to all the voters.
    Again, look at the States that do have term limits.
    Is there evidence that those states are worse off than before? Do you know?

I dunno, we sure have had a buttload of liberty presidents since then, haven't we Deborah K?
    Besides it's a different ball game, IMHO. I am not for repealing presidential term limits, now that we have them. But they did not fix anything.
    I disagree. And our movement has never been as strong as it is now. For the first time, we have a Presidential candidate (potentially), who is 'electable' and acceptable to the mainstream.

Is there evidence that those states are worse off than before? Do you know?
    I would be lying if I said I knew for sure. But I can assure you, Texas would be worse off if the last group of good State Reps were term limited out. They are giving the next batch a hand up, Liberty candidates are on average the youngest. I want them all to stick around. The People are the term limits, unfortunately we are pathetic. Nobody trusts politicians, except for their own Congressman who sends them baby kissing posters. Many liberty minded folks don't even vote.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast