Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: SWAT flash-bangs toddler in play pen - the "Baby Bou Bou" saga

What Would Happen If a Thug WITHOUT a Badge Threw a Grenade on Top of a Baby?

What Would Happen If a Thug WITHOUT a Badge Threw a Grenade on Top of a Baby?

By Daisy Luther
    The Organic Prepper
    June 27, 2014

Last month, a family in Georgia had their lives turned upside down by a brutal home invasion.

Imagine this: You’re visiting a relative’s home because your own house was destroyed by a fire. You, your spouse, and your children are peacefully sleeping and you awaken to terrifying chaos: Loud bangs, men shouting, your children screaming…you have no idea what’s going on.

Then you realize that you are the victim of a home invasion – you’re under seige…but the criminals who have burst in unannounced and launched an assault have badges and uniforms so it’s somehow legal…

This is exactly what happened to the Phonesavanh family last month. It gets worse…in order to stun the slumbering family, a member of the SWAT team threw in a flash-bang grenade. It landed in the crib of 19 month old Bounkham “Bou Bou” Phonesavanh and blasted a hole in his little chest that actually made his rib cage visible to the casual observer.

The baby had a hole in his cheek, a large gaping wound in his chest, lost the use of one of his lungs, and suffered 3rd degree burns all over his small body. He was put in a medically induced coma, has undergone surgery, and doctors have yet to establish whether or not he will suffer permanent brain damage. He will most likely remain scarred for the rest of his life.

What is a flash-bang grenade? (Flash-bang makes it sound almost cartoonish, doesn’t it?)

Upon detonation, it emits an intensely loud “bang” of 170–180 decibels and a blinding flash of more than one million candela within five feet of initiation, sufficient to cause immediate flash blindness,deafness, tinnitus, and inner ear disturbance. Exposed personnel experience disorientation, confusion and loss of coordination and balance. While these effects are all intended to be temporary, there is risk of permanent injury or even death. (source)

Of course, when it lands right on top of you, in your bed, it’s a bit more than “disorienting.” It’s potentially deadly, especially for a baby.

Alecia Phonesavanh, BouBou’s mother, wrote a grim account of the attack – an attack for which no one has been held accountable. Here’s an excerpt – put yourself in this family’s terrifying position:

After our house burned down in Wisconsin a few months ago, my husband and I packed our four young kids and all our belongings into a gold minivan and drove to my sister-in-law’s place, just outside of Atlanta. On the back windshield, we pasted six stick figures: a dad, a mom, three young girls, and one baby boy.

That minivan was sitting in the front driveway of my sister-in-law’s place the night a SWAT team broke in, looking for a small amount of drugs they thought my husband’s nephew had. Some of my kids’ toys were in the front yard, but the officers claimed they had no way of knowing children might be present. Our whole family was sleeping in the same room, one bed for us, one for the girls, and a crib.

After the SWAT team broke down the door, they threw a flashbang grenade inside. It landed in my son’s crib.

Flashbang grenades were created for soldiers to use during battle. When they explode, the noise is so loud and the flash is so bright that anyone close by is temporarily blinded and deafened. It’s been three weeks since the flashbang exploded next to my sleeping baby, and he’s still covered in burns.

There’s still a hole in his chest that exposes his ribs. At least that’s what I’ve been told; I’m afraid to look.

My husband’s nephew, the one they were looking for, wasn’t there. He doesn’t even live in that house. After breaking down the door, throwing my husband to the ground, and screaming at my children, the officers – armed with M16s – filed through the house like they were playing war. They searched for drugs and never found any.

I heard my baby wailing and asked one of the officers to let me hold him. He screamed at me to sit down and shut up and blocked my view, so I couldn’t see my son. I could see a singed crib. And I could see a pool of blood. The officers yelled at me to calm down and told me my son was fine, that he’d just lost a tooth. It was only hours later when they finally let us drive to the hospital that we found out Bou Bou was in the intensive burn unit and that he’d been placed into a medically induced coma. (source)

I truly cannot even fathom the desperation those parents must have felt. Clearly the officers blocked Alecia’s view because they were horrified by the injuries they had just caused to the screaming child.

Incidentally, the person the police were looking for was not on the premises and no drugs were found. So this raid accomplished absolutely nothing except for the opportunity for the cops to dress up in their little black SWAT outfits, throw some grenades, and act macho. Well played, officers. You must be so proud of your heroic actions.

Thus far, from what I can find online about the case…no one has been fired. No one has been suspended. No one has been arrested. No one has been charged with a crime. No one has been forced to pay the medical bills for the injuries suffered by the child. No one is footing the bill for the hotel the family must stay in to be near their son.

But wait. There’s more.

Even more repulsive, Habersham County Sheriff Joey Terrell defended the actions of the SWAT team. Even though he claims they’d been staking out the house for days, they somehow had no idea that 4 children were present. (This is despite the minivan with the stick figures in the windows, the car seats, and the typical kid detritus like shoes and clothes and toys.) The raid was made based on a story by a confidential informant who claims to have bought $50 worth of meth from the nephew of the homeowner.

According to a report on RT, Sheriff Terrell…

…told the AJC the raid was properly executed, but ended in a tragic result. He defended the use of the no-knock warrant and lack of investigative work, saying that it would have risked revealing that the officers were watching the house.

The informant told police there were a couple of men standing “guard” outside the room – a converted garage area – where the Phonesavanhs were living. But the CI was unsure if the men were armed, and told police there were no children or dogs present in the home, CBS46 reported.

Surveillance on the house might have prevented the raid altogether. Thometheva wasn’t in the home when the police raided, and was later arrested along with three other people at a different house on a felony drug charge of distribution of meth, the AJC reported.

The Phonesavanh family is also criticizing the police for the way they used the stun grenade. “I was told they were suppose to roll those things,” Alecia said to the AJC. “If they had rolled it, it would not have landed on my son’s pillow.”

Terrell said the team used the device because the encountered resistance when trying to push the door open. “When they entered the door, they noticed it was a playpen, or like a pack-and-play type device,” he said to WXIA. “There was a young child in the pack-and-play.”

A family member disputes the police’s description, telling WXIA that the crib was seven feet away from the door, not propped against it. (source)

In a rather audacious and desperate game of “Pass the Buck” the Sheriff also commented that the nephew (who was later arrested SOMEWHERE ELSE and charged with possession) could be held accountable for Bou Bou’s injuries. Really? And this man was actually elected?

So these are the questions in my mind:

What would happen to a thug without a badge if he perpetrated this type of home invasion, resulting in such a traumatic injury to a baby? Considering the fact that you can get life in prison for a little bit of weed, I have to think that the punishment would be severe. So why on earth are the cops exempt from punishment for permanently scarring and nearly killing a toddler?

Why are these no-knock warrants occurring in situations that are far from life and death matters? It’s understandable if a person’s life is at stake, for example, in a suspected kidnapping. But where on earth was the probable cause to burst into the bedroom of a sleeping family?

Why isn’t every member of that SWAT team being prosecuted? And what about the judge who signed the warrant? The DA that asked for the warrant?

All of them are culpable. Every single person that thought this would be a good idea is guilty of harming a 19 month old baby. I’m sure no one set out to hurt a baby, but the fact remains, they did, and they are guilty of being negligent and careless, at the very least.
    Where the heck is the accountability? They aren’t paying the child’s extensive medical bills, they aren’t paying the hotel bill for the struggling family, and they aren’t taking any responsibility for their actions.

When you are in a situation where you see people doing wrong, you are every bit as guilty if you don’t stop it. Not only is the person who threw that grenade at fault. What about the person who held Alecia Phonesavanh down while her baby was screaming in agony? What about the officers that waited before getting medical treatment for that poor suffering child? What about the people who said they were watching the house but didn’t notice the presence of FOUR CHILDREN? The judge who signed the warrant? The DA who asked for it?

Every person involved is as guilty as the unnamed cop who threw a grenade on top of a sleeping baby.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

~ Edmund Burke, 1770

It’s easy to say that all cops are not bad. And I’d really like to believe that. I would like to be able to tell my children that there is a group out there putting their lives on the line – a group you can depend on in a crisis situation – that the police are their friends.

But I can’t. Instead I tell them never to talk to police because much of the time, the purpose is to trick you into making yourself look guilty of something. I tell them not to open the door to police if they knock. I tell them that despite the uniform and the cop shows that portray them as heroes, police are generally not to be trusted. (Who can forget the warrantless searches in Boston last year when innocent families were marched out of their own homes at gunpoint?)

I’m sure that my opinion will not be a popular one, and that’s fine with me. I’m sure many people can tell stories about “good cops” that they know or are related to. I’m sure there are a lot of folks that want to believe the cops are there to help us.

The problem is, those who enforce the law should not only be held to the law, they should be held to a higher standard. Instead, it appears that police are held to no standard at all. They are increasingly brutal. They taze people. They beat people. They molest people. They kill the family pet. And they aren’t punished. They aren’t held responsible. What would happen if a thug WITHOUT a badge threw a grenade on top of a baby? Can you imagine the public outcry? That person would be lucky to make it to trial without being lynched. He’d never survive being in prison, because those who hurt children get a different kind of justice when they’re behind bars.

All of that changes when the thug throwing the grenade wears a badge and a uniform. The cops in America are becoming increasingly militarized, and this trend shows no sign of slowing down.

Personally, I can imagine no situation in which I would call 911 for police assistance because there are just too many stories about that going horribly wrong. (HERE, HERE, and HERE, for example) I don’t want them in my home. Their purpose is NOT to serve us and protect us. The people they serve are NOT the people in the community. Their purpose is to generate revenue for their cities or counties. It is to charge people with a crime and gather evidence to imprison them, because prisons are the new slave ships. Work done for pennies in a prison is making big bucks for industry, so this whole war on drugs baloney is really just a way to legally take people and enslave them, forcing them to perform labor for which other people realize profit. (Learn more HERE)

Inquiries to discover whether the child’s very extensive medical bills are being paid by the county have not been answered at this time.

A press release issued by the Phonesavanh family’s attorney updates us on Bou Bou’s condition:

June 24, 2014 Atlanta, GA –Bounkham “Baby Bou Bou” Phonesavanh, the baby severely injured by a flash bang grenade thrown in his play pen by the Habersham Sheriff’s Department and City of Cornelia police raid, has been transferred to Children’s Scottish Rite Hospital to begin rehabilitation. The family, who was set to move back home to Wisconsin the day after the raid, continues to need financial support as they have been living in a hotel to remain closer to their son.

“I was able to hold my son and hear his voice for the first time since the grenade exploded. After all that has happened to him, I am amazed at his strength. He has a long way to go but our prayers are being answered. We feel like it’s a miracle.” Bounkham Phonesavanh, Father of Baby Bou Bou

All donations to the family can be made to a Wells Fargo Bank Trust account in the name of Bounkham Phonesavanh. Online donations be made at www.justiceandprayersforboubou.org

“ While this family is focused on the rehabilitation of their 19month old baby, the ACLU has lent their support releasing a report on S.W.A.T. teams and the militarization of police which includes Baby Bou Bou’s mother, Alecia Phonesavanh’s chilling story about what happen the day the grenade blew a hole in their son’s face and chest. This family could be any of us.” Attorney Mawuli Mel Davis, Davis Bozeman Law Firm

The ACLU report can be found on www.aclu.org/militarization. The family has set up a Facebook page to keep well-wishers apprised of the child’s condition can be found HERE. ”Like” the page to show your support to this little guy, the helpless victim of epidemic police brutality and carelessness.

About the author:
    Please feel free to share any information from this site in part or in full, giving credit to the author and including a link to this website and the following bio.

Daisy Luther is a freelance writer and editor who lives in a small village in the Pacific Northwestern area of the United States. She is the author of The Pantry Primer: How to Build a One Year Food Supply in Three Months. On her website, The Organic Prepper, Daisy writes about healthy prepping, homesteading adventures, and the pursuit of liberty and food freedom. Daisy is a co-founder of the website Nutritional Anarchy, which focuses on resistance through food self-sufficiency. Daisy’s articles are widely republished throughout alternative media. You can follow her on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, and you can email her at daisy@theorganicprepper.ca

- See more at: http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/what....5nLtkb1G.dpuf
    Last edited by phill4paul; 06-28-2014 at 08:18 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He'd probably be offered a job and a badge by some police department.

Personally, I can imagine no situation in which I would call 911 for police assistance because there are just too many stories about that going horribly wrong. I don’t want them in my home. Their purpose is NOT to serve us and protect us. The people they serve are NOT the people in the community. Their purpose is to generate revenue for their cities or counties. It is to charge people with a crime and gather evidence to imprison them, because prisons are the new slave ships. Work done for pennies in a prison is making big bucks for industry, so this whole war on drugs baloney is really just a way to legally take people and enslave them, forcing them to perform labor for which other people realize profit.

Personally, I can imagine no situation in which I would call 911 for police assistance because there are just too many stories about that going horribly wrong. I don’t want them in my home. Their purpose is NOT to serve us and protect us. The people they serve are NOT the people in the community. Their purpose is to generate revenue for their cities or counties. It is to charge people with a crime and gather evidence to imprison them, because prisons are the new slave ships. Work done for pennies in a prison is making big bucks for industry, so this whole war on drugs baloney is really just a way to legally take people and enslave them, forcing them to perform labor for which other people realize profit.

I don’t want them in my home.

At least Bou Bou is doing better.

Thanks to WeaponsMan, here is some additional information about this incident that may be of interest to the readers:

• The individual who threw the grenade in Georgia had no such flash-bang certification. Neither did any of the SWAT members.
    • The thrower had not had any formal training on how to use the grenade, or its capabilities.
    • He’d never thrown one before.
    • The individual never looked in the room, but threw the grenade blind into the toddler’s crib.
    • The SWAT members didn’t just lie to the child’s stressed-out mother, Alecia Phonesavanh. They also lied to their superiors about the incident. Many departments will countenance the former, but not many have much toleration for the latter. (There’s also some question of the integrity of the officers in charge, who have previously been found to falsify records in other cases).
    • The SWAT team was all new and had conducted almost no individual and collective training.
    • They claimed they “knew” there were no children in the house, but no policeman had been in the house, and even their informant had not been inside. They actually had to move a baby stroller and walk past a minivan with four child seats to stack up on the house. Four child seats and a stroller are what an intelligence officer might call “indicators.”
    • News stories say the target of the raid was arrested “later,” but supposedly the investigation has uncovered that he was already in custody when the raid initiated. So the raid took place to grab a guy who was already in the back of a cruiser elsewhere. “Why waste a good (?) raid plan?” seems to have been their rationale.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    [*]News stories say the target of the raid was arrested “later,” but supposedly the investigation has uncovered that he was already in custody when the raid initiated. So the raid took place to grab a guy who was already in the back of a cruiser elsewhere. “Why waste a good (?) raid plan?” seems to have been their rationale.[/LIST]
    I'm going to bet that it wasn't a whole SWAT team that affected the arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'm going to bet that it wasn't a whole SWAT team that affected the arrest.
    They appear to have been engaged elsewhere.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Family is getting out of Dodge....

Farewell Breakfast For Bou Bou And Family

Bou Bou is set to be released from Children’s Hospital at Scottish Rite after being treated for severe burns from a flash bang grenade. His rehabilitation is set to be continued in Wisconsin.
    Hopefully the family will be careful which states they drive through on their trip back north.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

if i were the father, i would set my lawsuit at 1 billion....in gold.

Yea, but that gold can also be purchased ASAP right afterwards (with frn's), so that does not need to be a sticking point if they settle with a lump sum payment.

I'm thinkin' they should settle the case at around mid nine figures, maybe $250,000,000 for the family after legal fees. The poor kid might be facing a pretty tough life with those injuries and the family should also retain exclusive book and movie rights to the entire incident.

EVERYONE involved needs emotional counseling, and the baby needs the best medical care possible. What a horrible tragedy.

"Can we please stop this insane war on drugs?"

Heart warming to see this little guy running around. Wow. I didn't think he was going to make it when I initially saw the story.

Looks like they have 500K in medical bills already, plus could be more in the future.

Good to see he's back with his grandmother in WI, and out of GA.

I have my doubts they will get justice, but happy their son is doing so much better. I wish this would be a catalyst to wake people up and demand get rid of SWAT teams...but that's probably a pipe dream.

Every single day, don't we get a horrible tragedy over the stupid and pointless war on drugs?

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/Ba...266514731.html

My eyes ache from reading those tens of thousands of letters of disapproval from the ten percent of "good cops"...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    My eyes ache from reading those tens of thousands of letters of disapproval from the ten percent of "good cops"...
    Ten?
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    Ten?
    Well, I had reckoned it thusly:

There are about a million cops out there, of all stripes, Feds, state, county, local...so I always being told how negative I am, how not all cops are bad, that all these killings, beatings, shootings, taserings, puppycides and so on are just the work of a "few bad apples".

So, OK, this case, if there ever was one, clearly illustrates abuse of power, lack of training and official hubris.

Therefore, there should be at least 100,000 statements of disapproval in the cop community over this, if just ten percent are "good cops".

So far, crickets...

side Note...

Baby Bou Bou's dad was a laotian refugee. Escaped a war in his home country, probably never imagined soldiers, grenades going off in his new FREE country.

http://thelaotiancommotion.com/category/lao-culture/

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Well, I had reckoned it thusly:

There are about a million cops out there, of all stripes, Feds, state, county, local...so I always being told how negative I am, how not all cops are bad, that all these killings, beatings, shootings, taserings, puppycides and so on are just the work of a "few bad apples".

So, OK, this case, if there ever was one, clearly illustrates abuse of power, lack of training and official hubris.

Therefore, there should be at least 100,000 statements of disapproval in the cop community over this, if just ten percent are "good cops".

So far, crickets...

Either my google skills have regressed...Or there's not a cop publicly condemning that SWAT team...Couldn't find it...

UPDATE:

County to Baby Bou Bou - $#@! You, move along!

County will not pay medical bills for toddler hurt in Habersham raid

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/l...dler-hu/ng3s9/

15 August 2014

HABERSHAM COUNTY, Ga. —

Habersham County officials say they do not plan to pay for the medical expenses of a toddler seriously injured during a police raid.

Bounkham Phonesavah, affectionately known as "Baby Boo Boo," spent weeks in a burn unit after a SWAT team's flash grenade exploded near his face. The toddler was just 19-months-old and asleep in the early morning hours of May 28. SWAT officers threw the device into his home while executing a search warrant for a drug suspect.

Habersham County officials are defending their decision not to pay, but the child's family isn't giving up.

After weeks of recovery at two different hospitals, Channel 2 Action News was there in July as the little boy walked out of a hospital with his family.

He is doing better, but late Friday afternoon, his family's attorney told said the family’s medical bills are mounting.

“But at this point, the county is refusing to pay,” said attorney Muwali Davis.

Habersham County’s attorney provided the following statement, saying: "The question before the board was whether it is legally permitted to pay these expenses. After consideration of this question following advice of counsel, the board of commissioners has concluded that it would be in violation of the law for it to do so."

The attorney for Boo Boo’s family insists that is not good enough.

The Phonesavahs' attorney also says an independent investigation showed authorities used faulty information to get a search warrant.

In June, Habersham County's sheriff said a confidential informant told them he had bought drugs at the home. But they didn't think any children lived there.

The SWAT team did not find the person it was looking for in the home. An investigation is underway into the handling of the case. Meanwhile, Boo Boo and his family have moved back to Wisconsin. Supporters are planning a fundraiser for him in August.

Do we have the name of the prosecutor in this case?
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    FYI I know several police on this forum. Just sayin
    Wait, several cops post here?

The parents did this to Baby Bou Bou. Shouldn't be hanging out with relatives who are druggies.

Kind of like what that SWAT cop said to the Columbia, MO pothead who was crying over his kenneled dog being shot -- "this is what happens when the cops have to come to your house."

Justified.
    Last edited by SeanTX; 08-18-2014 at 12:21 PM.

They (the statist tyrants) are not paying the bills, because it would be an admission to guilt.

I hope every special interest group helps in sung the $#@! out of the police force, the city, the county... then after they're done with the criminal suits, Civil suits against that jackass sheriff Joey Terrell, the Judge that signed the "No Knock Flash Bang Innocent People" warrant, et al... in which NOTHING was found in the house, no guns, no drugs, no suspects... total failure, with the exception of total terrorism.

While County Sheriff Joey Terrell has claimed that police “didn’t see anything to indicate that there was a child in the house,” mother Alecia Phonesavanh told ABC otherwise in an interview: “My son’s old playpen was right outside the house..."

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.

County Officials Refuse to Pay Medical Bills for Toddler Baby SWAT Grenade

http://rt.com/usa/181100-baby-swat-grenade-medical/

Published time: August 18, 2014 15:33

Officials in Georgia’s Habersham County are refusing to pay for the mounting medical expenses of a toddler seriously injured by a flash grenade after a failed SWAT team raid earlier this year.

Bounkham 'Bou Bou' Phonesavanh was just 19 months old when a Habersham SWAT team initiated a no-knock warrant at his family’s home at around 3 a.m. on May 28. Bou Bou was asleep in his crib at the time, surrounded by his family and three sisters. The toddler was severely injured when SWAT team officers broke through the house’s door and threw a flashbang grenade that ultimately landed in the Bou Bou’s crib.

When the stun grenade went off, it caused severe burns on the child and opened a gash in his chest. As a result, Bou Bou lost the ability to breathe on his own and was left in a medically induced coma for days after the incident. His extensive recovery necessitated stays in two hospitals before he finally went home in July.

Now, Habersham County officials are sticking by their decision to ignore the family’s plight, the family’s attorney, Muwali Davis, told WSB-TV.

Habersham County’s attorney responded with a statement saying that the Board of County Commissioners will not pay given it is supposedly illegal to do so.

"The question before the board was whether it is legally permitted to pay these expenses. After consideration of this question following advice of counsel, the board of commissioners has concluded that it would be in violation of the law for it to do so."

(Continues on Link)

Why am I NOT suprised? "We're not responsible for any Collateral Damage."
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

with impunity...

too bad the low life average citizen doesn't get the same advantage..........................yet.

Where are the peaceful protests in GA?
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

For Christians this is evil disguised in a false veil of Christian authority (see the other thread where the chief claims he is doing "Gods work"). The people ignore the clear reality of satan working within our society since he has cloaked himself with these false godly authority figures.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

No big deal...Because I'm sure all the officers involved put together a fund drive on their own and out of their pocket they made a donation to help the child who's face they blew up on accident...

Right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by limequat View Post
    Where are the peaceful protests in GA?
    Right?! There were two, IIRC, and they were both very small.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/19/ge...dical-bills-fo

The story didn't elicit national outrage, and a friend of the family raised just $38,000 in two months to cover Boumkham's medical bills. They're going to need more than that, as the county government has ruled it would be a "violation of the law" for it to pick up the medical costs their officers created the necessity for.

WSB-TV reports:

Habersham County's attorney provided the following statement, saying: "The question before the board was whether it is legally permitted to pay these expenses. After consideration of this question following advice of counsel, the board of commissioners has concluded that it would be in violation of the law for it to do so."

The attorney for Boo Boo's family insists that is not good enough.
    Those not discussing serious changes in the laws that protect cops and create situations like this, where a government can say it's against the law for it to pay the medical expenses created by its officers violent actions, ought to be ignored as the noise over the Michael Brown shooting continues. Police violence is not just a problem in Ferguson, not just a problem during protests, not just a problem for young black men, but a problem with the laws cops enforce, the tools they're given to do so, the erosion of our rights in the name of public safety, and the protections cops enjoy when they're wrong.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Now why is it that if I were to cause a "claim" against me professionally or personally that I'd have to pay the expenses for something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Now why is it that if I were to cause a "claim" against me professionally or personally that I'd have to pay the expenses for something like this?
    You would have to pay if you were sued and the other side won a judgement. You could also just voluntarily pay the expenses before you are sued because it is the right thing to do. It may well be that the law prevents the county from just handing out money like that though, and for very good reasons. It could be that the only way can pay these particular expenses is via a settlement that requires first a lawsuit and second the approval of the county attorney (which again, would be based on the sound principle that you don't want to give the county commissioners the ability to hand out money willy nilly because though it might be right in this case, if you give them that power they will abuse it). So I'd like to know more about the process before criticizing this particular action. The throwing the grenade in the first place, and the policy which sends SWAT teams on such frequent military style raids in the first place I can criticize now though.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast