Thread: Jamaica Dramatically Reduced Police Killings By Aggressive Investigations Of Police

Jamaica Dramatically Reduced Police Killings By Aggressive Investigations Of Police

http://www.businessinsider.com/jamai...police-2014-12
    KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) — Jamaican police have often been viewed with suspicion and fear, routinely accused of indiscriminately using their weapons and intentionally killing suspects as the island struggled with soaring violent crime.

Now, with overall violence ebbing, the Caribbean country is on track to have the fewest deaths at the hands of law enforcement in years, drawing cautious praise from human rights activists and making officers more welcome in some of Jamaica's grittiest districts.

The number of citizens killed by police is expected to reach just over 100 this year, far below the 258 slain last year by security forces. The annual total of police killings hasn't been below 200 since 2004.

"Police always used to come with guns cocked, but more of them are calmer now and have a better attitude," said Susan Ramsay, a mother of three in the rough east Kingston neighborhood of Rockfort. "It's gotten to the point where I prefer seeing the police around here than not seeing them."

There seems to be a mix of reasons for the reduction, but perhaps the biggest is a new-found fear among officers of prosecution by an independent agency that investigates allegations against police.

The Independent Commission of Investigations was created in 2010 after security forces killed 70 civilians in Kingston during an operation to capture a fugitive gang leader. Police had disputed the agency's authority, but last year the courts ruled it has the right to arrest and charge officers, previously the role of an internal police bureau and public prosecutors.

The increasingly robust commission is now advancing high-profile investigations against lawmen, including a probe of 11 officers in a single police division in the central parish of Clarendon. After those officers were hit with murder charges earlier this year, a big drop in police-related fatalities followed across Jamaica. There also were two successful convictions this year of police personnel who failed to cooperate with commission investigators.

"A clear message is being sent that all police killings are being rigorously investigated and that the Jamaica Constabulary Force must cooperate fully," said Robin Guittard, Caribbean campaigner at Amnesty International.

Hamish Campbell, a former Scotland Yard commander who is the investigative agency's deputy commissioner, said reducing fatal shootings has been helped by a significant drop in early morning raids. Heavily armed and often masked officers would roll into slums before dawn on raids that frequently ended in bloodshed, though police went unscathed.

"The tactic was not tenable and the greater majority of the public recognized it for what it really was," Campbell said.

Rights groups long accused the government of fostering a culture of impunity by protecting law enforcers accused of killing suspects rather than subjecting them to the backlogged, inefficient court system. Activists are now cautiously hopeful the tide might be starting to turn.

"The total figure is still far too high, although the current trend may result in one of the lowest annual numbers of police killings in Jamaica in decades," said Jamaicans for Justice, the island's most prominent rights group.By comparison, Chicago police fatally shot 13 people last year, and the U.S. city has roughly the same population as Jamaica, 2.7 million.

The 11,000-member Jamaica Constabulary Force attributes the drop in police-caused fatalities to improved management and increased training on the use of force and respect for human rights.

Officials also cite the behavior of suspects. "We have been seeing an increased trend of criminals using less confrontational measures in dealing with the police as they have chosen the option of surrendering in light of several public appeals," said Assistant Police Superintendent Tanisha Ellison.

The U.S., which has seen widespread protests related to the death of African-American suspects at the hands of police, recently donated pepper spray, retractable batons and other equipment to help Jamaican officers disable suspects without fatalities.

While violent crime is down, it's still very high, with the U.N. listing the island as having the world's sixth worst homicide rate. Awash with illegal guns, Jamaica reported 1,197 homicides by citizens in 2013, down from a high of 1,680 in 2009.

Another key in sustaining the downtrend in police killings is ensuring Jamaica's justice system follows through with trials. There have been more than 2,000 fatal shootings by police over the last decade, but few ever made it to court, with only a handful of convictions. Almost all those fatally shot by officers were once written off as armed criminals who died in shootouts, no matter how much slum dwellers insisted police were shooting to kill.

Police say they are striving to change hearts and minds. Members of the force's management say they are committed to punishing rogue officers and improving relationships with citizens.

"We're doing our best. We know the police and the community have to have a good relationship," Sgt. Wickham Campbell said recently, after a friendly chat with men hanging out on a street corner in a Kingston slum that has struggled with extortion gangs.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/jamai...#ixzz3Mej7c0E4
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) — Jamaican police have often been viewed with suspicion and fear, routinely accused of indiscriminately using their weapons and intentionally killing suspects as the island struggled with soaring violent crime.
    Obviously, Jamaican police are racist.

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Obviously, Jamaican police are racist.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Jamaican police patrol in pairs. They wear full military gear.
    At night, they are no where to be seen as the gangs rule the roads.
    If you are traveling out of resort safe zones, you better be riding with the right natives.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I witnessed Jamaican police beat down a Jamaican woman in the streets. Her crime- selling in the street.
    It is illegal for women to do so.
    When my woman asked for something, the request was never granted until the person looked at me for permission.
    different culture.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I lived in a concrete shelter on top of Mount Zion in the town of Priory for about 6 months. (where I was visited by a host of religious men of every stripe over that time)

There seems to be a mix of reasons for the reduction, but perhaps the biggest is a new-found fear among officers of prosecution by an independent agency that investigates allegations against police.

The Independent Commission of Investigations was created in 2010 after security forces killed 70 civilians in Kingston during an operation to capture a fugitive gang leader. Police had disputed the agency's authority, but last year the courts ruled it has the right to arrest and charge officers, previously the role of an internal police bureau and public prosecutors.

The increasingly robust commission is now advancing high-profile investigations against lawmen, including a probe of 11 officers in a single police division in the central parish of Clarendon. After those officers were hit with murder charges earlier this year, a big drop in police-related fatalities followed across Jamaica. There also were two successful convictions this year of police personnel who failed to cooperate with commission investigators.

"A clear message is being sent that all police killings are being rigorously investigated and that the Jamaica Constabulary Force must cooperate fully," said Robin Guittard, Caribbean campaigner at Amnesty International.
    It seems like a good idea. But what is done to prevent "regulatory capture"?

Ideally, the independent commission would be omniscient, but God doesn't want the job. On the other hand, Big Brother is using technology in an attempt to create omniscience. Of course this is impossible, but that always seems to be the goal. And when we combine psuedo-omniscience with psuedo-omnipotence, is there any guarantee that it will be used for truth, justice or "good"?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POS-DREDD-PROP_400w.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	3544
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    Jamaican police patrol in pairs. They wear full military gear.
    At night, they are no where to be seen as the gangs rule the roads.
    If you are traveling out of resort safe zones, you better be riding with the right natives.
    My point of posting this isn't to laud the Jamaican police. It's to point out that policing the police helps curb police violence. I thought that was obvious.

It seems like a good idea. But what is done to prevent "regulatory capture"?

Ideally, the independent commission would be omniscient, but God doesn't want the job. On the other hand, Big Brother is using technology in an attempt to create omniscience. Of course this is impossible, but that always seems to be the goal. And when we combine psuedo-omniscience with psuedo-omnipotence, is there any guarantee that it will be used for truth, justice or "good"?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POS-DREDD-PROP_400w.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	3544
    I'm not sure what you mean by "regulatory capture".

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "regulatory capture".
    "Regulatory capture" is a phenomenon in which the institutions responsible for regulation of or oversight over some sector become "captured" by (i.e., controlled by or subject to undue influence from) the very sector over which those institutions were supposed to have purview.

For example, we see "regulatory capture" in the influence of insurance companies over the creation and application of health care law (such as Obamacare, which was heavily influenced by - and indeed, even partially written by - insurance company and health care sector lobbyists). One of the most common symptoms of "regulatory capture" is the so-called "revolving door" between regulators and the regulated - as when, for example, FDA bureaucrats leave government employ to become drug company executives and vice versa.

In the case of overseeing or regulating police forces, there is a powerful incentive for police to "capture" (i.e., acquire and exercise) influence over the oversight and regulatory bodies which are supposed to work to curtail things like police corruption or abuse. In America, we can see this in the great influence police unions wield in the politics of prosecutorial offices (which is one of the reasons why District Attorneys so routinely suck up to police and fail to act against police abuses).
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    "Regulatory capture" is a phenomenon in which the institutions responsible for regulation of or oversight over some sector become "captured" by (i.e., controlled by or subject to undue influence from) the very sector over which those institutions were supposed to have purview.

For example, we see "regulatory capture" in the influence of insurance companies over the creation and application of health care law (such as Obamacare, which was heavily influenced by - and indeed, even partially written by - insurance company and health care sector lobbyists). One of the most common symptoms of "regulatory capture" is the so-called "revolving door" between regulators and the regulated - as when, for example, FDA bureaucrats leave government employ to become drug company executives and vice versa.

In the case of overseeing or regulating police forces, there is a powerful incentive for police to "capture" (i.e., acquire and exercise) influence over the oversight and regulatory bodies which are supposed to work to curtail things like police corruption or abuse. In America, we can see this in the great influence police unions wield in the politics of prosecutorial offices (which is one of the reasons why District Attorneys so routinely suck up to police and fail to act against police abuses).
    Ah. I see. Well I don't have anything to go on but the numbers. So far police killings are down in Jamaica while the are skyrocketing in the U.S. I'm not sure what the ultimate solution is.