Thread: PA-Local HS ditches fedgov lunch mandates, profits and quality increase.

Exclamation PA-Local HS ditches fedgov lunch mandates, profits and quality increase.

Less waste, more participation, increased choice and quality and still manages to feed the poor.

Imagine that?

Penn-Trafford High meal service in black after leaving National School Lunch Program

http://triblive.com/local/westmorela...rogram-lunches

Patrick Varine | Friday, Feb. 17, 2017, 11:00 p.m.

In previous years when they headed to lunch, Penn-Trafford High School students had to wait in longer lines for fewer choices, and the district's food-service program was losing money.

This year, administrators chose to have the high school opt out of the National School Lunch Program, and they are on pace to be back in the black, budget-wise.

“We've lost, to date, about $40,000 worth of reimbursement, but our sales are up about $50,000 over last year,” district Business Manager Brett Lago said.

Lunch prices range from $3.20 to $4.50.

“The participation has gone from about 25 to 45 percent, and we're still providing free lunches to all those students who would have been eligible under the school lunch program,” Lago said.

National School Lunch Program guidelines limit what school cafeterias are able to serve in terms of calorie and sodium limits and also mandated that students be served certain items.

In the past, a lot of those items — fruits and vegetables in particular — ended up in the garbage.

“The trash cans were always full, sometimes overflowing,” said senior Brianna Lander, 18, of Harrison City. “You don't see that now. People would go up to the snack line and get random junk food, where now you can get an actual meal and eat it.”

After a complete remodel, the high school cafeteria is set up like a food court, with a deli and panini station, a grill, a main course counter, and pizza and a la carte stations.

“You get to choose what you want instead of being sort of funneled in and only having one choice,” said junior Chase Zavarella, 17, of Penn Township. “I think everyone is happier with the new selection.”

That includes Lago, who said administrators decided to take advantage of updated kitchen facilities and the fact that free lunches come at a lower cost for high school students.

“(The high school) involved the least risk,” he said of the decision to opt out of the federal program. “Plus, kids at that age, they're a little more informed and better at making smart choices for themselves because we still have a lot of healthy options. But as far as meal guidelines, you can't say that a 300-pound football player and a 90-pound cheerleader have the same (dietary) needs on a daily basis.”

Just as important for administrators, the food-service budget is looking healthier than previous years.

“The preliminary estimate was that we would lose up to $100,000 based on the federal reimbursement, but that was kind of the worst-case scenario if we didn't increase sales,” Lago said. “Right now, we're looking at breaking even at the high-school level and hopefully the rest of the district as well.”

For Lander and Zavarella, the wide range of choices is what's most important.

“There's more of a variety of different things,” Lander said. “People actually leave full now.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doris the Lunch Lady is not pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Before the feds got involved;

What most of my generation did for lunch;

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Before the feds got involved;

If they still sold school lunches like that I'd shave and try to pass myself off as a transfer student.

Un-PC.

Which one was you?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So basically schools start selling junk food to kids and sales go up? Who would have thunk?
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Which one was you?
    I am the guy with the tomahawk .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am the guy with the tomahawk .

glad to see you won that fight...

i would have stayed on my horse and whacked ol' Dave's head off...

still, glad it worked out...did you get that guy thats running away?...

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    glad to see you won that fight...

i would have stayed on my horse and whacked ol' Dave's head off...

still, glad it worked out...did you get that guy thats running away?...
    I always get the guys running away .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    So basically schools start selling junk food to kids and sales go up? Who would have thunk?
    I'm pretty sure, at least from the article, that is exactly what stopped happening.

“The trash cans were always full, sometimes overflowing,” said senior Brianna Lander, 18, of Harrison City. “You don't see that now. People would go up to the snack line and get random junk food, where now you can get an actual meal and eat it.”

After a complete remodel, the high school cafeteria is set up like a food court, with a deli and panini station, a grill, a main course counter, and pizza and a la carte stations.

Now, a smart econ or civics teacher would use this opportunity to make a teaching moment about the failure of central planning.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Un-PC.
    I thought so as well.

Can you imagine what would happen to the poor kid who brought that into a government school today?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I'm pretty sure, at least from the article, that is exactly what stopped happening.
    I saw the limits on calories and sodium that used to be there which seem to no longer be.

National School Lunch Program guidelines limit what school cafeterias are able to serve in terms of calorie and sodium limits and also mandated that students be served certain items.

In the past, a lot of those items — fruits and vegetables in particular — ended up in the garbage.

I know I almost always brought a lunch because soy burgers... yeach.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    I saw the limits on calories and sodium that used to be there which seem to no longer be.
    By removing the ridiculously low limits, they can now offer a decent meal.

I mean, overlooking the fact that, what we are talking about here is basically prison food, doesn't look half bad.

Certainly better than:

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-20-2017 at 05:22 PM.