Thread: Privacy Advocates Resign in Protest Over U.S. Facial-Recognition Code of Conduct

Privacy Advocates Resign in Protest Over U.S. Facial-Recognition Code of Conduct

Privacy Advocates Resign in Protest Over U.S. Facial-Recognition Code of Conduct
    By Dan Froomkin

Technology industry lobbyists have so thoroughly hijacked the Commerce Department process for developing a voluntary code of conduct for the use of facial recognition technology that nine privacy advocates involved withdrew in protest on Monday.

“At a base minimum, people should be able to walk down a public street without fear that companies they’ve never heard of are tracking their every movement — and identifying them by name – using facial recognition technology,” the privacy advocates wrote in a joint statement. “Unfortunately, we have been unable to obtain agreement even with that basic, specific premise.”

The Commerce Department, through its National Telecommunications and Information Administration, brought together “representatives from technology companies, trade groups, consumer groups, academic institutions and other organizations” early last year “to kick off an effort to craft privacy safeguards for the commercial use of facial recognition technology.”

The goal was “to develop a voluntary, enforceable code of conduct that specifies how the Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights applies to facial recognition technology in the commercial context.”

But after a dozen meetings, the most recent of which was last week, all nine privacy advocates who have participated in the entire process concluded that they were totally outgunned.

“This should be a wake-up call to Americans: Industry lobbyists are choking off Washington’s ability to protect consumer privacy,” Alvaro Bedoya, executive director of the Center on Privacy & Technology at Georgetown Law, said in a statement.

“People simply do not expect companies they’ve never heard of to secretly track them using this powerful technology. Despite all of this, industry associations have pushed for a world where companies can use facial recognition on you whenever they want – no matter what you say. This position is well outside the mainstream.”

Ben Sobel, a researcher and Google Policy Fellow at the Center on Privacy & Technology, wrote last week for the Washington Post about the extraordinary advances in facial-recognition technology that have gone largely unnoticed by the public. “Being anonymous in public might be a thing of the past,” he wrote.

He noted that while there are no federal laws that specifically govern the use of facial recognition technology, some states do. “Both Illinois and Texas have laws against using such technology to identify people without their informed consent. That means that one out of every eight Americans currently has a legal right to biometric privacy,” he wrote.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So give up is their answer?

It's not companies that scare me, a company wants to convince you to hand over your money voluntarily....

Government using this technology scares me.

He resigns but the technology will go on.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    It's not companies that scare me, a company wants to convince you to hand over your money voluntarily....

When government and companies are one in the same, it's both we have to worry about.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Paulicy View Post
    When government and companies are one in the same, it's both we have to worry about.
    ACH mandate.

we are there.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    He resigns but the technology will go on.
    All of us are tracked no matter what. Rand or Ron being president won't stop any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    All of us are tracked no matter what. Rand or Ron being president won't stop any of this.
    You speak as if that information is news to me.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    You speak as if that information is news to me.
    Funny I thought the same when you quoted me. I think we are all preaching to the choir.
    - Josef Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Companies should scare you as much as the Govt since it is mostly the companies that run Amerika.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Companies should scare you as much as the Govt since it is mostly the companies that run Amerika.
    if the companies ran America it would not be be bankrupt.

One thing that I know for certain: this technology will become ubiquitous in its use. Nobody is going to save us from it. Therefore, I see a potentially huge market in facial obfuscation technologies. It could be a many billions of dollars market, but will not become real until the offending technology is put in place and actively doing its thing. But anyone with a good obfuscation product waiting in the wings for that day stands to make a $#@!-ton of cash. I would, however, keep my eye's peeled for legislation that would criminalize the use of such protective technologies... you know, based on "national security" and "terr'ists".

I could see one day where a printer prints a pattern on your face in the morning and you wash it off when in for the day. Next morning, a different pattern.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    if the companies ran America it would not be be bankrupt.
    The people sure as $#@! would be, and we're just about there.

Govt != Wall St != Main St

---

Yet again, people are focused on the wrong thing.

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear, pure propoganda. What you really should be hiding is not what you do wrong, but what you dont consider to be wrong at all. There are a few million Jews that didnt think that being Jewish was somehow "wrong" and it cost them their lives. What happens when the Concentration Camps and Executions of the 21st Century go after Ron Paul supporters? The Libertarians? Or maybe some combination thereof? What happens when your Health is subject to someone elses approval? Will you all gladly accept a Mandatory Execution for being too old, or having an illness that is expensive to provide treatment for regardless if said illness occured as a result of ones lifestyle? Its not like we can simply choose our genetics. What happens when having a "Bad Gene" is all it takes to throw you in jail? What happens when your diet lands you or your kids in jail? What happens when your religion results in imprisonment? What happens when the word Constitution becomes a crime to even utter?

It is the things that each individual does not consider to be "wrong" that is going to get them in the most trouble, and it is the most difficult idea I have to communicate to people.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.