Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The doors are closing: House bill will revoke passports of "terrorists"

Exclamation The doors are closing: House bill will revoke passports of "terrorists"

HR 237

SEC. 4. AUTHORITY TO DENY OR REVOKE PASSPORT.
    10 ‘‘(a) INELIGIBILITY.—
    11 ‘‘(1) ISSUANCE.—Except as provided under
    12 subsection (b), the Secretary of State may refuse to
    13 issue a passport to any individual whom the Sec
    14retary has determined has aided, assisted, abetted,
    15 or otherwise helped an organization the Secretary
    16 has designated as a foreign terrorist organization

17 pursuant to section 219 of the Immigration and Na18
    tionality Act (8 U.S.C. 1189).

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/...37_sus_FTO.pdf
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Congress Votes to Take Your Passport

Daniel McAdams

https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...your-passport/

Email Print
    FacebookTwitter

Revolutions most often become horrific parodies as they inevitably turn inward on their own people. The former subjects of Louis XVI soon understood liberté, égalité, fraternité to in fact mean the guillotine. In the name of fighting one’s enemies, the regime takes to cannibalizing its own citizens, as the motion of the action requires the “enemies” list to orient ever more inwardly.

Which brings us to the matter of HR 237, a bill to “[t]o authorize the revocation or denial of passports and passport cards to individuals affiliated with foreign terrorist organizations, and for other purposes,” coming to the Floor of the US House today on, of all things, the “suspension calendar.” This “suspension calendar” accommodates bills that are traditionally considered uncontroversial in nature and thus not requiring the full daylight of a thorough Congressional debate.

Think: renaming post offices.

Under the “suspension of the rules,” bills can be brought to the Floor without going through the rules process and thus not be eligible for any amendment or substantive debate. Forty minutes of mostly praise and usually a voice-vote of approval and the “suspension” is on its way to becoming the law of the land.

As my old colleague Norman Singleton brings to light, HR 237 is hardly uncontroversial. It gives the US Secretary of State the power to revoke the passport of any American he determines has “aided, assisted, abetted, or otherwise helped an organization the Secretary has designated as a foreign terrorist organization.”

This means the Secretary of State can, unilaterally, with no due process and no oversight, deprive an American citizen the privileges of citizenship, thus relegating him to internal exile inside the United States — a practice most recently perfected in the Soviet Union.

What does the word “aided” mean? No one knows. Is there any wiggle room for inadvertency? No one knows. And what about the very political nature of the US “terror” list in the first place? What if I seemed to have winked approvingly at an MeK demonstration on September 27, 2012, the day before the US Secretary of State unilaterally decided that this Marxist-jihadist terror cult, which has murdered American citizens, should no longer be on the US terror list? Would that one day’s lapse cost me my ability to leave the US?

Will the Secretary of State at least consult with other government agencies to determine whether my wink at the MeK might have been simply a speck in my eye and in fact I have absolutely no terrorist sympathies whatsoever? Nothing in the bill requires him to do so.

If the Secretary of State does take away my passport and condemns me to internal exile, will I at least find some way to pursue due process and appeal for the reinstatement of my privileges as a citizen — after all I have not been convicted or even accused of terrorist activity? Again, HR 237 does not provide for that possibility.

Can I at least see the report that the Secretary of State is required to provide Congress to prove that I should be consigned to internal exile? Again, no. As the bill states, “[t]he report submitted under paragraph (1) may be submitted in classified or unclassified form.’’

The US Secretary of State can revoke my passport without meeting any burden of proof that I am actually a terrorist or even that I have ever supported terrorism. He can keep his evidence against me totally secret and will never be required to justify his actions against me.

And this is considered “uncontroversial” in the United States? Even in revolutionary France you had the Vendée which resisted the madness of the totalitarian state. Here we have the “suspension calendar,” a modern guillotine of our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Got damn it...search sux

Searched "HR 237".

Oh well, merge please.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Got damn it...search sux

Searched "HR 237".
    Yes, it does - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ld-be-disabled

I have nothing to hide.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

How long have you been working on this idea, CONgresscritter "brain children"?

Don't want your passport revoked? Then don't belong to, aid, affiliate yourself with, or know people who know people in organizations that are deemed to be terrorist.

Seems pretty easy to me.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The question then becomes, if someone is guilty of aiding, assisting, abetting or otherwise helping an organization designated as a foreign terrorist organization, to the extent the Secretary of State has enough evidence to deny a passport; isn't that person supposed to be in jail?

lol so?

The NDAA gave them the power to KILL Americans with nothing but an ACCUSATION.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I have nothing to hide.
    Sounds kind of gay to be honest.

They have things backwards. They let a lot of questionable people in but once they are in they don't let them leave. If a nefarious character would rather spend his time in Syria instead of my town, I'd chip in for his plane ticket.

Granted I know this policy is more about control than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    They have things backwards. They let a lot of questionable people in but once they are in they don't let them leave. If a nefarious character would rather spend his time in Syria instead of my town, I'd chip in for his plane ticket.

Granted I know this policy is more about control than anything.
    On purpose.
    "The Patriarch"

If you don't like it, leave the country.
    Oh, oops, that's right. You can't!
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    The question then becomes, if someone is guilty of aiding, assisting, abetting or otherwise helping an organization designated as a foreign terrorist organization, to the extent the Secretary of State has enough evidence to deny a passport; isn't that person supposed to be in jail?
    Well we all pay taxes to the federal government in one way or another, so I guess we're all aiding terrorists.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

- Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    On purpose.
    I know. I mentioned this more for the lurkers than the choir.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    If you don't like it, leave the country.
    Oh, oops, that's right. You can't!
    They settled "love it or leave it" in the 1860s.
    Last edited by RJB; 07-22-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Well we all pay taxes to the federal government in one way or another, so I guess we're all aiding terrorists.
    good point.

Then, within one year, if you don't file a tax return; passport revoked. If you're in the tea party movement, passport revoked. If you are former U.S. military, passport revoked. Doors are closing. You can't even open an overseas bank account any longer if you're from the U.S. Peter Schiff won't even accept you as a client if you're from the U.S. lolol. It is that BAD !!

I would be ok with this IF the judiciary was the one who decided who is a "terrorist" and then the SOS denies a passport. I can't support the SOS having this unilateral power.

Checks and balances and all.

Since when is a passport required to enter this country? People are coming up from Mexico all the time without one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Since when is a passport required to enter this country? People are coming up from Mexico all the time without one.
    I just mentally snorted at the concept of americans running into mexico while mexicans run into the u.s

- Edward R. Murrow

I just mentally snorted at the concept of americans running into mexico while mexicans run into the u.s
    Yeah, they just haven't figure out what they are getting into yet. When they do, they will leave.

Congress Passes Bill In 15 Minutes To Revoke Americans' Passports Without Due Process

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...ut-due-process

The “war on terror” is a status quo fraud perpetuated by the oligarch-controlled mainstream media and authoritarian members of Congress as a way to systematically strip the American public of its freedom and civil rights in the name of fighting an outside enemy. This tried and true tactic has been used by statists throughout history, and history is indeed repeating itself here in the “land of the free.”

Of course, I’ve spent innumerable hours writing on this topic for many years, even before I started this website. Here are a few recent examples:

The “War on Terror” Turns Inward – DHS Report Warns of Right Wing Terror Threat

More “War on Terror” Abuses – Spying Powers Are Used for Terrorism Only 0.5% of the Time

How the Department of Homeland Security Monitored and Tracked Peaceful “Black Lives Matter” Protests

Moving along, today’s story is so incredible it’s almost hard to believe. It appears our so-called “representatives” recently took fifteen minutes to pass a bill that allows the Secretary of State to revoke Americans’ passports with no due process. Did you know about this? Well neither did I, and what’s worse, these members of Congress are so cowardly they passed the bill with a voice vote to avoid going on record. Talk about anti-American.

First, from Reason:

On Tuesday, without much notice, and after a whopping 15-minute debate, the U.S. House of Representatives passed via voice vote the Foreign Terrorist Organization Passport Revocation Act of 2015. Its intent: “To authorize the revocation or denial of passports and passport cards to individuals affiliated with foreign terrorist organizations, and for other purposes.” Some of the bill’s sparse details:

The Secretary of State may refuse to issue a passport [or revoke a previously issued one] to any individual whom the Secretary has determined has aided, assisted, abetted, or otherwise helped an organization the Secretary has designated as a foreign terrorist organization

How does today’s John Kerry or tomorrow’s John Bolton make such a determination? The bill doesn’t say.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Then, within one year, if you don't file a tax return; passport revoked. If you're in the tea party movement, passport revoked. If you are former U.S. military, passport revoked. Doors are closing. You can't even open an overseas bank account any longer if you're from the U.S. Peter Schiff won't even accept you as a client if you're from the U.S. lolol. It is that BAD !!
    This "terrorism" is the greatest invention of all time.

"They" can strip us of all our rights under the guise of "terrorism".

Its used as the jumping point, to get the ball rolling. And those who understand that these smaller encroachments on our rights ultimately lead to the loss of everyone's freedoms, are labeled as "terrorist sympathizers" or "soft on terror"...

Great way to move agendas forward with little or no resistance.
    Last edited by unknown; 08-01-2015 at 07:49 AM.
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

Why do we need this law at all ? We were able to revoke Snowden's passport while he was in Russia. Or we were not ?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Why do we need this law at all ? We were able to revoke Snowden's passport while he was in Russia. Or we were not ?
    Yeah, but it took too long and there was this damn "process".

Terrorists don't care about that.

This will make things much speedier and keep us much safer, if just one official can revoke the government's travel card as needed.

didn't the British originally call us some form of terrorist?

- Edward R. Murrow

you'll thank them later when they give us the 'all clear'...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    any individual whom the Sec
    14retary has determined has aided, assisted, abetted,
    15 or otherwise helped an organization the Secretary
    16 has designated as a foreign terrorist organization
    "Isolationists?"
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast