Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul vows to filibuster 'patriot act' reauth

Rand Paul vows to filibuster 'patriot act' reauth

In a move guaranteed to rock the political establishment left and right, Rand Paul vowed Monday to filibuster any reauthorization of the (Orwellianly named) Patriot Act during an exclusive interview with the Union Leader in New Hampshire...

More: http://iroots.org/2015/05/11/rand-pa...r-patriot-act/

My website: iroots.org Looking for folks to help write about activism...
    "If you’re into political activism, at least for Ron Paul if not for anyone else, I strongly recommend spending some time with iroots.org."
    - Tom Woods

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL

Here at iroots.org we fully approve of licking the establishment.

This might be a little awkward with McConnell.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

at least he uses the power he has. im proud.

YAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Good. I approve 100%.

Stop the Surveillance State Petition to:
    Mitch McConnell and My U.S. Senators

Whereas: Privacy from government spying is a chief cornerstone of our liberties, enshrined in the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution; and

Whereas: The NSA is collecting BILLIONS of records on law-abiding American citizens – including our phone records, text messages, emails, Internet searches, Facebook posts, instant messages, and online purchases; and

Whereas: No government in the history of mankind – not even the Communist East German Stasi - has ever held the massive spying power our federal government holds over law-abiding U.S. citizens today; and

Whereas: Section 215 of the so-called "PATRIOT" Act is what statists point to in order to justify their bulk collection of private information on American citizens; and
    Therefore: I insist you vote against any legislation that in any way reauthorizes the NSA’s massive spying program on American citizens.

Sign the Petition
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

You'll get a lot more people to sign/donate to this if you have APO and FPO listed as states, C4L.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand NEEDS another filibuster before the primary elections.

Someone tweeted:

Um, @davidchesley, do you know where that lens has been? http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rand-...ry?id=30962547 … #fitn

He should have kept it a surprise.

Now the fake liberty lovers will steal the idea.......

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post

I think some Democrats were already on to it.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post

OK, but as President, Rand will be working with these other Senators to work on these things, so fine by me (I think).

"I’m going to lead the charge in the next couple of weeks as the Patriot Act comes forward.
    We will be filibustering. We will be trying to stop it. We are not going to let them run over us.
    And we are going to demand amendments and we are going to make sure the American people know that
    some of us at least are opposed to unlawful searches." – Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)

I'm tired of extending a bad law." Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR)
    http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/241584-spy-critic-pledges-to-filibuster-rubber-stamp-patriot-act … ,

Does the PATRIOT act ever come up for reauthorization on an even numbered year? Is it just me or are they blatantly avoiding electoral accountability?
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

I'm not sure if Rand is necessarily referring to a talking filibuster here.

Last edited by anaconda; 05-12-2015 at 03:28 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We should have a raucous liberty cheering session if it's a talking filibuster? Senate website says visitors are allowed until 4:30 PM.

http://www.senate.gov/visiting/commo...g_congress.htm

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    We should have a raucous liberty cheering session if it's a talking filibuster? Senate website says visitors are allowed until 4:30 PM.

http://www.senate.gov/visiting/commo...g_congress.htm
    Great idea!

Wyden: If Senate tries to renew NSA spying authority, I’ll filibuster

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ll-filibuster/

-t

Just seems both sides of the aisle want to do this to Americans. Very sad. Many don't realize this.

I need this. I need this to show some folks that are lunging away from showing any support for a republican that Rand is different and principled.

I need this to be big enough to undo a bunch of "prayer breakfasts" and bloated military budgets. during his filibuster, if he comes out in favor of marriage/government disinvolvement, he'll win my town.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Rand Paul is about to have a shining moment on the Patriot Act

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s=rss_politics

This is one one those moments the whole country is watching for, I think if he does it right he will win our trust.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Rand Paul is about to have a shining moment on the Patriot Act

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s=rss_politics

This is one one those moments the whole country is watching for, I think if he does it right he will win our trust.
    Surprisingly good article from Wapo, of all places. Good comments too but needs more! Even the lefty trolls can't bite into that one without looking stupid and anti-privacy.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

the patriot act is being abused by obama and the RINOS imo

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by teaparty View Post
    the patriot act is being abused by obama and the RINOS imo
    welcome new person. these forums have become slightly more statist than libertarian over the years, but you'll not be alone if you view this piece of $#@! patriot act legislation as one of the most dangerous, vile, and unconstitutional laws ever written.

there really isn't a d or an r position on this, don't be fooled. there's liberty/freedom position or force.

i'm hoping Rand hits it out of the park.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

First of all, he should never have announced this beforehand, because now his political opponents have time to maneuver against him and think of ways to cheat him out of this moment of glory, which has the potential to be a pivotal moment in US history such as "tear down this wall", or "I have a dream".

Second of all, this might explain his vote on the Vitter subpoena. Some political horse trading is going on behind the scenes. Crushing a subpoena in exchange for a filibuster? Sounds like a good trade to me

I hope he writes up some good points that speak blatantly about the people that are for these sick Patriot renewals, he needs to get a little shocking to make sure that word gets around about what these people are really for and are really trying to do.... just like dad use to do.

Also, always remember these pro-Patriot Actors and don't ever let anyone forget what they really are when they come up for re-election.... no matter what they say.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    First of all, he should never have announced this beforehand, because now his political opponents have time to maneuver against him and think of ways to cheat him out of this moment of glory, which has the potential to be a pivotal moment in US history such as "tear down this wall", or "I have a dream".
    Since he announced this beforehand, it implies it's not going to be a talking filibuster, which usually only happens when you catch the controlling party off guard.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    First of all, he should never have announced this beforehand, . . .
    That is a political strategy.

This is Rand being a Senator, doing a Senator's job as much as being a candidate.
    June 1 is a deadline for the Congress to act on the Patriot Act, and lines were already being drawn in the sand . . .

Rand and Democrat Wyden on one side maybe, and Rubio and the neocons on the other.

"The first real debate of 2016 kicked off in earnest on Thursday (May 7) after a federal court ruled
    that the Patriot Act does not allow the National Security Agency to mass collect the phone data of Americans."

"Following the court ruling, Rubio joined Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Senators Tom Cotton and
    Richard Burr to offer a full-throated defense of the NSA and accused critics of the programs of lying."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katenocera/t...act#.tb16p0jGb
    So let's see Rubio's "full-throated defense of the NSA"

Rand will need to be very careful, they will challenge the accuracy of what he says.
    Rand may have already believed that there have not been any foiled terrorist plots because of the Patriot Act. (Time magazine (?))
    That might be a boldly, in-your-face, unequivocal statement Rand may not know for certain, regardless of his source,
    and if it turns out is inaccurate . . . NOT good to make.

So I thought of, and looked up, the jet fuel undeground pipeline plot at JFK years ago to see if Rand was correct.
    It was reportedly not technically feasible to do what was plotted. For one, they would need heavy bulldozer type equipment -
    kinda like bin Laden in his youth used in Afghanistan to dig trenches to defeat the Russians. Duh.
    (I am not entirely sold on that feasibility spin, as i.e. " impossible to melt down the Twin Towers ?)

Regardless, as for anybody knowing what was REALLY used to dismantle that "plot" . . . well, knowing that with certainty may just not be possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast