Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU wake up friends and family?

How do YOU wake up friends and family?

I am always trying to introduce people to liberty and help wake people up to what is going on in our politics and our world. I have tried many different approaches with family and friends, sometimes successful, other times, well, not so successful.... I am interested to know what are some approaches others have used with their friends and family. I don't want to get to that point to where they are basically like "Uh oh, don't mention _____________ around him." Yet at the same time I am not about to give up. Can people on here give me some suggestions?
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How do YOU wake up friends and family?

http://www.wikihow.com/Pop-a-Bag
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Telling my mom about police abuses nationwide, than watching some relatives have to put up with the same sh** definitely helped her wake up.
    Rand Paul 2016

Beat them over the head with it until they hate the thought of even seeing you again.

Music, actually. I got a lot of my friends growing up who were otherwise apathetic, into anarcho punk and other sub-genres with political messages. I found ways to get them to read the lyrics, and eventually, they took an interest in politics and understand a lot of the reasons why military intervention, the drug war, racism, poverty and economic strife are all products of corrupt government and the State.

It doesn't have to be just music obviously, but I think my main point or what I've figured out here, is that the best way to get people to awaken politically, is to ease it into their lives in a palatable way. Do it in a way that can be enjoyable for them, and never be forceful. Respect them, and never get into vicious arguments. Be reasonable and try to understand their point of view, while also offering your thoughts and making counter-arguments that make them think. If in the end, they don't want to listen or have no interest, let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    Do it in a way that can be enjoyable for them, and never be forceful. Respect them, and never get into vicious arguments. Be reasonable and try to understand their point of view, while also offering your thoughts and making counter-arguments that make them think. If in the end, they don't want to listen or have no interest, let it go.
    This is great advice. I know I give them reasons to think but I also know I give them headaches. What I want to avoid more than anything is seeing them avoid talking about important things because I am around. It gets frustrating because it seems like every time my family gets together it always ends up the same way. Nobody wants to talk about something important because "they wouldn't want to offend somebody" or they sit and talk about TV shows and stupid apps on their phone the whole time.....FRUSTRATING!
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

I had a talk with my dad the other day about the NSA and he seemed legitimately concerned about it. Unfortunately I know that he wouldn't even listen to it if Romney were president. So for me it helps get through to them if there's a democrat administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Beat them over the head with it until they hate the thought of even seeing you again.
    Maybe not a good idea.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-25-2013 at 07:16 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I've given up on most. They are too lazy to even read a book, much less watch a 10 minute video clip on YouTube. Just make sure you have YOURSELF prepared with basic necessities. Despite presenting them with facts, history, and using reason and logic with them, they are so completely stupid and lazy, they either can't respond, or respond with, "At least he's not the other one." (Meaning, they're stuck in a two party mindset.)

When you have a President that is drone-striking people around the world, while playing golf, and the "Left" doesn't care. I think it shows how they will continue doing as they please.
    When you have a President sending soldiers to war, based on a lie(s), and many of those "Republicans" would vote for him again. There's really NOT much we can do.

As long as they have their NFL, NHL, and Fox News, CNN, etc., they will be perfectly happy proles.

I've found that there's a huge generation gap, that it's much easier to convert younger people to support liberty candidates and support the principles of liberty than to convert people who are older. I convinced both of my sisters and my brother in law to vote for Ron in 2012, but I could never convince my dad to vote for him under any circumstances. He's just not open at all to changing any of his political views. I think he can tolerate Rand better than Ron, but I don't think he would actually vote for Rand in a GOP primary either. My mom is a little more open minded to my point of view, but she's still very socially conservative and would probably support a more socially conservative candidate like Santorum over Rand. So, from my experience it's much easier to convert younger people to support liberty candidates and support liberty principles than to convince the older generations to change their political views. A lot of older people have political views that are set in stone, and they aren't going to change.
    Last edited by Brett85; 08-25-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbot24 View Post
    I am always trying to introduce people to liberty and help wake people up to what is going on in our politics and our world. I have tried many different approaches with family and friends, sometimes successful, other times, well, not so successful.... I am interested to know what are some approaches others have used with their friends and family. I don't want to get to that point to where they are basically like "Uh oh, don't mention _____________ around him." Yet at the same time I am not about to give up. Can people on here give me some suggestions?
    Be informed, be friendly. Let THEM bring things up!

If you have a FedBook account use it to share videos, pictures, and articles that educate the masses.

LearnLiberty.org is great

Lewrockwell.com has new articles daily.

Use the many meme generators to use humor to "Beg the question"
    Last edited by WM_in_MO; 08-25-2013 at 08:06 PM.

It's hard to change the minds of the ignorant brainwashed. Your alternatives have been demonized by the brainwashers.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

With people I choose or am forced to deal with I tend to just latch on like a bulldog on the heel of an intruder and refuse to let go or drop the issue until they give in.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Sometimes I feel like that's what I end up doing:sad:

They still love me though
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Keep showing em $#@! like this:

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I just keep telling them what is going on and what is wrong with it and how it should be, and then wait. Sooner or later it becomes news (obvious), then they go, oh...okay, now I see what you were saying.

What was it that Ron said, they can't unhear what you tell them?
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 08-25-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

How About This?

One of the tactics that I use to wake people up is breaking down the fundamental issue in a way that speaks to the person I'm talking to. For instance, on the subject of taxation, I like to empower my audience by reminding them that they know what to do with their own money more than the government does. If that is the case, then they should support any policy and/or politician that will fight to allow them to keep more of their money at home. In my experience, speaking to them in that way gets away from typical, partisan talking points about "raising taxes on the wealthy," or "instituting the 'Fair Tax.'" It gets them to see that they are entitled to keep their money and use it however their circumstances and conscience dictate, in contrast to just letting the government take it out of their income without their permission.

I argue that way, similarly, on many other issues, such as education, foreign policy/war, and commercial trade. It definitely seems to open their eyes a bit, even sometimes giving me a recommendation to run for office because they see how it makes sense. Try it, and see how that may work for you.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by jjdoyle View Post
    I've given up on most. They are too lazy to even read a book, much less watch a 10 minute video clip on YouTube. Just make sure you have YOURSELF prepared with basic necessities. Despite presenting them with facts, history, and using reason and logic with them, they are so completely stupid and lazy, they either can't respond, or respond with, "At least he's not the other one." (Meaning, they're stuck in a two party mindset.)

When you have a President that is drone-striking people around the world, while playing golf, and the "Left" doesn't care. I think it shows how they will continue doing as they please.
    When you have a President sending soldiers to war, based on a lie(s), and many of those "Republicans" would vote for him again. There's really NOT much we can do.

As long as they have their NFL, NHL, and Fox News, CNN, etc., they will be perfectly happy proles.
    Go Red Team. Go Blue team, What does Faux News say?

even sometimes giving me a recommendation to run for office because they see how it makes sense
    If you want to have a chance, don't mention homosexuality
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Keep showing em $#@! like this:

EFF & FBI Face-Off Over NGI Facial Recognition Database
    http://siliconangle.com/blog/2013/06...tion-database/

I have come to the conclusion that you can't wake up people that don't want to wake up. Kind of like you can't help a person that doesn't want to be helped. Don't worry about it, all you can do is try, if it doesn't work then try on other people. Some will wake up, most won't. You are talking about 9/11, right?

It helps when half of your family was on black list and named as "enemy of the state" by secret police during last communist regime. I, like 99% of my family, was libertarian (miniarchist, voluntarist...) whole my life. I just didnt know a name for it. In general anything that you say against state is well accepted in BiH.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Speaking as a person older than your father I feel secure in pointing out that the message is sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I've found that there's a huge generation gap, that it's much easier to convert younger people to support liberty candidates and support the principles of liberty than to convert people who are older. So, from my experience it's much easier to convert younger people to support liberty candidates and support liberty principles than to convince the older generations to change their political views. A lot of older people have political views that are set in stone, and they aren't going to change.

Keep talking. Don't give up.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I start by not referring to it as "wake up", and avoid terms like ignorant, naïve, brainwashed, sheeple, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I start by not referring to it as "wake up", and avoid terms like ignorant, naïve, brainwashed, sheeple, etc.
    Of course you don't use those grammatically accurate (except for the new word "sheeple"), yet potentially inflammatory terms when trying to convince someone.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Ask them questions that cause them to ask their own questions. Do not supply them with answers.

Nothing is so strong as your conviction when you have discovered a truth for yourself.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Of course you don't use those grammatically accurate (except for the new word "sheeple"), yet potentially inflammatory terms when trying to convince someone.
    The interesting thing is... when you continually use those terms in private or in the echo chamber it changes your attitude so that even though you might not use them when in varied company there is a good chance that your true feelings --such as: superiority and smugness -- will still be obvious to those you are trying to sway your direction. just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The interesting thing is... when you continually use those terms in private or in the echo chamber it changes your attitude so that even though you might not use them when in varied company there is a good chance that your true feelings --such as: superiority and smugness -- will still be obvious to those you are trying to sway your direction. just saying...
    I'm sorry that reality is offensive to people. I'm honestly done caring. They can screw themselves.

Lead by example: work hard, be kind to people, learn as much as possible.
    Listen to others: Understand their concerns and the issues they care most about.
    Convey optimism during conversation: Empathize with others and use relevant information, presented in an optimistic manner, to explain the Libertarian(or whatever) solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast