Thread: GOP explores special debate rules to include low polling candidates like Fiorina and Carson

GOP explores special debate rules to include low polling candidates like Fiorina and Carson

The RNC cuts the debate schedule down to 9 debates, requires candidates participate only in the RNC's 9 sanctioned debates AND wants to expand the field as much as possible to include candidates that previously wouldn't have been included? Debates won't be worth anything at this rate. Intentionally, of course.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...arson-fiorina/

Republicans face a tough task in trying to craft rules for their presidential primary debates — and in particular, making sure they write the rules so that Ben Carson and Carly Fiorina, who are running well behind in the polls, find a place on the stage.

The Republican National Committee has insisted on vetting all official debates in the run-up to the 2016 nomination battle, including approving the criteria that will determine who’s included. But with potentially close to two dozen candidates vying for spots, party officials are sure to ruffle feathers as they decide how to decide who makes it.

“Unless we really believe there is going to be a debate with 15 people, there is going to be a real controversy over where that line is drawn,” said Iowa GOP chairman Jeff Kaufmann.” If you don’t think there are going to be 15, there is going to be a businessman, or a governor or a senator who is not on that list.”

moreatlink
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fiorina is the Huntsman of this cycle. The establishment loves her, but no one else does.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Oh wait a Paul is doing well, change the rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Fiorina is the Huntsman of this cycle. The establishment loves her, but no one else does.
    The difference though, is she's the only Republican woman so far this cycle. So they might manage to pump her up, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Debates might not have ever been worth much of anything, with the exception of the Ron Paul moment with Rudy. The establishment was blindsided by that and took action to never let it happen again. Debates are more like football games, where the fans root for their favorite so they can smack talk later. Few fans root for their rivals after a rout.

Carson and Fiorina have no popular support, it's ludicrous that they are being considered for inclusion in the debates at all. Get a constituency first and we'll talk, checking off an affirmative-action box doesn't cut it as qualification for wanting to run the federal government.

"explores special debate rules" is standard GOP speak for "just forget it".

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    The RNC cuts the debate schedule down to 9 debates, requires candidates participate only in the RNC's 9 sanctioned debates AND wants to expand the field as much as possible to include candidates that previously wouldn't have been included? Debates won't be worth anything at this rate. Intentionally, of course.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...arson-fiorina/
    Since when is Ben Carson doing poorly in the polls? Last I knew, he was in the top five or six for the GOP.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is the most recent of the polls listed on Real Clear Politics: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/inte...vorable-slips/. Carson is tied for FIRST.

Quote Originally Posted by givemeliberty2010 View Post
    This is the most recent of the polls listed on Real Clear Politics: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/inte...vorable-slips/. Carson is tied for FIRST.
    I assume WashTimes threw their names into the title and article just to take a shot at conservatives, regardless of where Carson and Fiorina stand in reported polling.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Oh good because they were so concerned when Gary Johnson was left out of debates in 2012 and Ron Paul in 2008.
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

More people being allowed to debate is a good thing. Just because Rand Paul is doing well doesn't me we should start becoming the like the people we loathe so much.

affirmative action at its finest
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws