Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automakers seeking federal approval to deem at-home car repairs a violation of DMCA copyright

Automakers seeking federal approval to deem at-home car repairs a violation of DMCA copyright

It is federal government related, since the Feds now determine what constitutes a "copyright violation" under the DMCA, therefore this is appropriate subforum.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/a...s-car-repairs/

Automakers are supporting provisions in copyright law that could prohibit home mechanics and car enthusiasts from repairing and modifying their own vehicles.

In comments filed with a federal agency that will determine whether tinkering with a car constitutes a copyright violation, OEMs and their main lobbying organization say cars have become too complex and dangerous for consumers and third parties to handle.

Allowing them to continue to fix their cars has become "legally problematic," according to a written statement from the Auto Alliance, the main lobbying arm of automakers.

The dispute arises from a section of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that no one thought could apply to vehicles when it was signed into law in 1998. But now, in an era where cars are rolling computing platforms, the U.S. Copyright Office is examining whether provisions of the law that protect intellectual property should prohibit people from modifying and tuning their cars.

more at link
    Last edited by devil21; 04-22-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Full steam ahead tyranny

$#@!it, I'm installing Linux on mah car.

Told you so.

Told you ten years ago, this was going to happen.

$#@! A Bunch Of Computer Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Told you so.

Sorry AF,

Your '63 Rambler 'Murikan won't pass a future inspection.

It will no longer be safe to drive on the autobahn, per statutes.

Bet you feel screwed now after Mittens' daddy pitched this car to your parents on the merits of its safety features.

Ironically, I bet that Mittens is OK with this court ruling.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 04-22-2015 at 07:08 PM.

Linux?

Instead, strike at the root.

Simply "upgrade" the entire fed/gov down to a single hardened RISC processor with a heartbeat monitor that reboots itself every 4,294,967,295 milliseconds (~49.7 days) from a ROM that's permanently loaded with binary versions of the U. S. Constitution and the first 10 amendments. Optionally, running Kaspersky anti-tyranny protection is highly recommended.
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 04-22-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Yup, that's next.

Oh, sure, you'll be able to get tags for a "classic" car, but you won't be able to drive it everyday, you'll be restricted to 500 miles a year, daytime only and outrageous insurance fees.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Sorry AF,

Your '63 Rambler 'Murikan won't pass a future inspection.

It will no longer be safe to drive on the autobahn, per statutes.

Bet you feel screwed now after Mittens' daddy pitched this car to your parents on the merits of its safety features.

Ironically, I bet that Mittens is OK with this court ruling.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can't have people saving money that stealerships deserve nor modifying their new spymobiles. How ya gonna tax-by-mile if Joe Schmo can disable the GPS tracker or pull a Hastings on a loudmouth if he can disable remote controlled braking and steering?

It's not like you ever own your car any way. You just rent it from government. You did sign over the title to them, remember?

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Told you so.

I have to agree. Even the ECU is offensive. All those advances and they only added about 5mpg average.

If we were unified as a people and had more tightly knit communities, we could make this backfire in their face.

What if 25 families that we more or less neighbors, perhaps a few thousand such groups in cities, had the where-with-all to say ENOUGH! They all give up on consumerism, share a 1 ton 14 passenger van and only do politics for fun and fulfillment.

Abandon the entire needless consumer package, all of it not associated with needs. No more travel to sports, no more motor vacations, only protests and shopping for necessities. Publicize that it was all done because of automakers collusion with government creating tyrannical control over the machines that are supposed to be private property.

Watch a bunch of hate from the corporate world exploiting consumers get focused on automakers for waking up their cash cow.

Yea, I know how fancifully unlikely it is, but we are going to be forced there anyway eventually IF we can maintain enough freedom.
    Last edited by Christopher A. Brown; 04-22-2015 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Brown View Post
    I have to agree. Even the ECU is offensive. All those advances and they only added about 5mpg average.

If we were unified as a people and had more tightly knit communities, we could make this backfire in their face.

What if 25 families that we more or less neighbors, perhaps a few thousand such groups in cities, had the where-with-all to say ENOUGH! They all give up on consumerism, share a 1 ton 14 passenger van and only do politics for fun and fulfillment.

Abandon the entire needless consumer package, all of it not associated with needs. No more travel to sports, no more motor vacations, only protests and shopping for necessities. Publicize that it was all done because of automakers collusion with government creating tyrannical control over the machines that are supposed to be private property.

Watch a bunch of hate from the corporate world exploiting consumers get focused on automakers for waking up their cash cow.

Yea, I know how fancifully unlikely it is, but we are going to be forced there anyway eventually IF we can maintain enough freedom.
    Or get government out of the auto business, and let people buy what they want.

You don't NEED a computer car, or all the government mandated nonsense that drives the cost and complexity up.

Millions of people get around in Tata Nanos, currently the cheapest new car available, at about $3000.

Of course, you can't buy or drive one here in the land of the free.

Nor can you buy any one of numerous 60-70 MPG diesel cars and mini trucks here.

What you can't have.

Or get government out of the auto business, and let people buy what they want.

You don't NEED a computer car, or all the government mandated nonsense that drives the cost and complexity up.

Millions of people get around in Tata Nanos, currently the cheapest new car available, at about $3000.

Of course, you can't buy or drive one here in the land of the free.

Nor can you buy any one of numerous 60-70 MPG diesel cars and mini trucks here.
    Yes, get gov out that biz and cease the service to US automakers by blocking the imports you mention. I had forgotten about that.

I mean didn't they just get bailed out by tax dollars? They apparently mismanaged themselves so badly they were going belly up. Now the gov is babysitting their profits 'cause they can't build as good of a machine as foreign corporations.

What goes around comes around. The dumbing down cost the elite bit time too.

How hypocritical to have "free trade" agreements for multinational corporations then block what consumers need in order to benefit American corporations.

These are all things that a lawful and peaceful revolution can address very well. Not to mention some overarching issues that can be dealt with no other way.
    Last edited by Christopher A. Brown; 04-22-2015 at 10:36 PM.

What you can't have.

After you mentioned it, I looked this car up. Apparently it is not in the states due to the high cost of meeting EPA requirements. What a joke.

Told you so.

Watch the second clip here.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-Memex-project

remember a certain reporter?

-t

Because the gold standard dollar was swapped for the "oil standard" sometime around '71, all the $#@!ty things are $#@!ty things by design.

You guys should check out a movie called PUMP on netflix. They talk about how most cars with the ODB2 port can be reprogrammed by a simple laptop to become Flex vehicles and can accept E85 without needing new engine parts. They make the claim that the engine parts for both gasoline and ethanol are identical. The ethanol is only bad on the engine if the software is programmed for gasoline-only.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ethanol drives up food prices.

You are also paying hidden taxes for it via subsidies.

Even the environmentalists think it's a horrible idea.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    Because the gold standard dollar was swapped for the "oil standard" sometime around '71, all the $#@!ty things are $#@!ty things by design.

You guys should check out a movie called PUMP on netflix. They talk about how most cars with the ODB2 port can be reprogrammed by a simple laptop to become Flex vehicles and can accept E85 without needing new engine parts. They make the claim that the engine parts for both gasoline and ethanol are identical. The ethanol is only bad on the engine if the software is programmed for gasoline-only.

Sorry....just fit.

Fine. The answer is obviously an open source automaker.

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    After you mentioned it, I looked this car up. Apparently it is not in the states due to the high cost of meeting EPA requirements. What a joke.
    more likely the lost revenue from taxes. They only pretend they are concerned about the environment when in reality it is money and control they must have.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    more likely the lost revenue from taxes. They only pretend they are concerned about the environment when in reality it is money and control they must have.
    This is true. Much of the diesel stuff stems from Europe formerly offering a much cleaner grade of diesel fuel than the US. Ours contained high amounts of sulfur. Therefore diesel engines were dirtier here than they were in Europe. Nearly all American diesel is now also low sulfur, so even if it once made sense (it didn't really) it clearly no longer does. It's just an excuse.

Automakers are supporting provisions in copyright law that could prohibit home mechanics and car enthusiasts from repairing and modifying their own vehicles.

In comments filed with a federal agency that will determine whether tinkering with a car constitutes a copyright violation, OEMs and their main lobbying organization say cars have become too complex and dangerous for consumers and third parties to handle.

Allowing them to continue to fix their cars has become "legally problematic," according to a written statement from the Auto Alliance, the main lobbying arm of automakers.

The dispute arises from a section of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that no one thought could apply to vehicles when it was signed into law in 1998. But now, in an era where cars are rolling computing platforms, the U.S. Copyright Office is examining whether provisions of the law that protect intellectual property should prohibit people from modifying and tuning their cars.
    Lol, more laws more chaos. IP monopoly protection revealing its absurdity.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Need to write a Linux based onboard management software that "virtual boxes" any OEM ECU, and make it all open source so all anyone has to do is replace their ECU with this open source one that can mimic any car on the planet and you are good to go. No DMCA violations because we tossed your junk software out the window.

[User adjustments]
    [OEM SW Emulator] ------ [OEM ECU]
    [Virtual Box] ------ [OEM Passthrough Module]
    [User-Accessed Switch]
    [Linux Computer Open-ECU]
    |
    |
    |
    [Vehicle Chassis]

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ///
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post

I will view that.

If Americans could rise to a lawful and peaceful revolution,

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ful-revolution

The FDA could be controlled and hemp could provide ethanol instead of corn. In that process there are other substantial savings.

We have so many failures of governmental agencies to do their job properly related to this issue, that anything but a lawful and peaceful revolution is easily seen as superfluous.
    Last edited by Christopher A. Brown; 04-23-2015 at 09:06 AM.

Why are you guys all hating on managed free trade? You are protectionists and isolationists! The government-corporate complex always knows best, resistance is futile.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post

Sorry....just fit.
    OMG! One of the greatest movies of all time! The karate kick in that scene is classic! And just so many great quotes!
    "I'm so bad I kick my own ass twice a day"
    "And while you was gone, I put your girls through karate school"
    "Tell him I want him out of here in 24 hours, and 23 of them are already gone"
    I could quote that movie all day, lol. If you watch the closing credits carefully, the dojo scenes were filmed in Chuck Norris' place.

edit: you must spread some reputation around..
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Brown View Post
    I will view that.

If Americans could rise to a lawful and peaceful revolution,

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ful-revolution

The FDA could be controlled and hemp could provide ethanol instead of corn. In that process there are other substantial savings.

We have so many failures of governmental agencies to do their job properly related to this issue, that anything but a lawful and peaceful revolution is easily seen as superfluous.
    Yeah definitely check that movie out. Everyone should. The one thing it didn't talk about was hemp for ethanol, which was a bit infuriating. And when talking about corn ethanol choking food supply, they sorta danced around that with very quick convoluted answers.

Otherwise I learned a lot that I hadn't heard before. There are forums out there I guess where people talk all day long about software tuning your on-board computer. Makes sense why they want to keep that illegal...can't let ppl get away from oil too quickly...
    Last edited by muh_roads; 04-23-2015 at 12:11 PM.

These are the automakers that make up the Alliance that's pushing for this:

BMW Group
    FCA US LLC
    Ford Motor Company
    General Motors Corporation
    Jaguar Land Rover
    Mazda
    Mercedes-Benz USA
    Mitsubishi Motors
    Porsche
    Toyota
    Volkswagen Group of America
    Volvo Cars North America
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast