Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judge rules Third Amendment does not apply to cops.

Judge rules Third Amendment does not apply to cops.

The Third Amendment, which guards against the quartering of soldiers in citizens’ homes – and which came into being because of the abuse of British troops against American patriots – has just been dinged by a judge who ruled the provision doesn’t apply to police.

In essence, that means police on official business could claim the legal right to bust into a private citizen’s home and occupy it.

The determination from federal district court Judge Andrew Gordon was rendered when he dismissed a Third Amendment claim from a Henderson, Nevada, family who suffered that very fate.

Anthony Mitchell and his parents Michael and Linda Mitchell sued the City of Henderson and several police agents in federal court for a July 2011 incident they described in court papers.

Volokh reported: “On the morning of July 10, 2011, officers from the Henderson Police Department responded to a domestic violence call at a neighbor’s residence. … [Police] told [Mitchell] police needed to occupy his home in order to gain a ‘tactical advantage’ against the occupant of the neighboring house. Anthony Mitchell told the officer that he did not want to become involved and that he did not want police to enter his residence.

Police went to the Mitchell family house anyway, and “banged forcefully on the door and loudly commanded Anthony Mitchell to open the door to his residence,” his complaint read.

Mitchell then reportedly contacted his mother to let her know what was going on – and police “smashed open” his door with a metal ram, court documents indicated.

From there, the situation grew even more chaotic. Mitchell wrote in court papers police pepperballed him and his dog, gave him conflicting orders and ultimately arrested him. He was released the next day from jail.

But Mitchell and his parents turned around and sued, alleging their Third and Fourth Amendment rights had been violated – the Third, because the police were acting like members of the military. The case was closely watched by legal minds, given the unusual nature of the Third Amendment alleged violation.

But Gordon dismissed that claim in a court action that fell largely under the nation’s radar.

He wrote, the Washington Post reported: “Various officers … entered into and occupied Linda’s and Michael’s home for an unspecified amount of time (seemingly nine hours), but certainly for less than 24 hours. The relevant questions are thus whether municipal police should be considered soldiers, and whether the time they spent in the house could be considered quartering. To both questions, the answer must be no. I hold that a municipal police officer is not a soldier for purposes of the Third Amendment.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/04/cops-can-...h9J2raFUBr7.99

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They've desecrated the rest of the bill of rights and conservatives haven't given a rip about anything but the 2nd. Why should the 3rd be special?
    /sarasm

On a serious note, there are all sorts of violations of the spirit of this amendment. We're conditioned to this in the movies where the hero cop flashes his/her badge as says "I need to commandeer this car." (Hmmmm....I wonder if any straight up car thieves have ever tried this?) Or what about when the NSA insisted years ago, documented long before the Snowden leaks, that telephone companies must let them install NSA servers on their hubs?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Hmmm, profession over rules citizenship, who knew?

Where'd this judge go to school?

Where'd the guy who made him a judge go to school?

Hooray!

I was wondering when the last hold out, the third, would be declared null and void.

Now we can finally dispense with that silly Bill of Rights.

Not soldiers:

Clowns in Gowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Hmmm, profession over rules citizenship, who knew?

Where'd this judge go to school?

Where'd the guy who made him a judge go to school?

Not soldiers:

Insignificant tax on tea? Our ancestors violently rebelled.

Cops violently barge into your home and take it over for as long as they want? Just another day in the Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Cops violently barge into your home and take it over for as long as they want? Just another day in the Empire.
    "Our forefathers would be firing by now."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hooray!

I was wondering when the last hold out, the third, would be declared null and void.

Now we can finally dispense with that silly Bill of Rights.

Not soldiers:

and "this State" is not a military reservation, War on Drugs is not a war, amended trading with the enemy act was not treason.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    "Our forefathers would be firing by now."
    We're so far removed from what those people were, we may as well be a different species.

We're so far removed from what those people were, we may as well be a different species.
    But they didn't have TV or cellphones, etc..

Wonder what King George would say if he could see us today?

FROM

MY

COLD

DEAD

HANDS

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

So how did this case turn out, what about false arrest, excessive force, unlawful entry into private dwelling without warrant, etc?

Personally, I don't think the Third Amendment is really applicable to police (state agents) either, but that does not mean police possess carte blanche to do as they wish.

Although do I wonder if one could argue that police have been coopted at the federal level through massive, continuing, financial grants and awarded military suplus equipment and to participate in federally declared wars and acts of law, such as the war on drugs, education, and gun control, and are therefore now qualified soldiers?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
    Wonder what King George would say if he could see us today?
    "BLOODY COLONISTS! The peasants are revolting!"

I'm glad to see this line coming out of you, Anti-Fed.

I've said this ever since Ron Paul woke me up to liberty. One of my very first thoughts was: "If there is all this absolute corruption, people being abused and shot by the police, people being murdered by executive order, the selling of our children into slavery, and mountains of other things... how has there not been a revolution when our Founders revolted over practically nothing by comparison?"

Seems so crazy to me that people have been so conditioned, but that's always been part of the plan I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “A standing army is one of the greatest mischief that can possibly happen”
    ~ James Madison

“None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army”
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. the supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States.”
    ~ Noah Webster
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

As the Romans eventually learned, "bread and circuses", works great to keep the mobs anesthetized.

Now about those year round US sports obsessions.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 04-17-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Personally, I don't think the Third Amendment is really applicable to police (state agents) either
    Why?

Is it the federal funding? The tanks? The military swat gear and fully automatic weapons? Is the the circular force continuum training? Is it the sharing of information with the federal agencies like ICE BATF NSA via Fusion Centers?

How $#@!ing jack booted do the local cops have to become before IT DOESN"T $#@!ING MATTER WHAT YOU CALL THEM.

Its what they do.

People have totally lost sight of what the third amendment was about.

After the Quartering Acts were passed, a soldier could demand to say in barns, uninhabited houses, or in places like stables, bars, and inns. Even the British didn't have the gall to claim possession of personal primary residences.

Engblom v. Carey (1982).

The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit ruled:

(1) that the term owner in the Third Amendment includes tenants (paralleling similar cases regarding the Fourth Amendment, governing search and seizure),
    (2) National Guard troops count as soldiers for the purposes of the Third Amendment, and
    (3) that the Third Amendment is incorporated (that is, that it applies to the states) by virtue of the Fourteenth Amendment.[21]

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

It took them a while, but they finally found a way to eviscerate the only remaining intact Amendment in the Bill of Rights. It's a full sweep, folks.

deleted
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

Was the case dismissed with or without prejudice? If it was without, I would immediately bring it again. If it was dismissed with prejudice (which seems unlikely) then I'd immediately bring it to a Federal court.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When was the last time a Judge actually ruled in favor of the Bill of Rights?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Was the case dismissed with or without prejudice? If it was without, I would immediately bring it again. If it was dismissed with prejudice (which seems unlikely) then I'd immediately bring it to a Federal court.
    If it's a Third Amendment argument, then it should have started in a Federal Court.

It was heard in the federal circuit and appears to entirely favor the police's inappropriate actions, without prejudice:

III. CONCLUSION

In accord with the foregoing, I hereby ORDER:

1. The Defendants' Motion to Dismiss (Dkt. No. 17) is GRANTED IN PART and DENIED IN PART.

2. All official-capacity claims against individual defendants under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 are dismissed.

3. All claims against Chief Chambers are dismissed without prejudice.

4. All claims against Chief Chronister are dismissed without prejudice.

5. All claims against HPD Officers Poiner, Feola, and Walls are dismissed without prejudice.

6. Qualified immunity is denied as to all named individual defendants.

7. The Ninth Claim for Relief (§ 1983, malicious prosecution) is dismissed without prejudice as to the individual police officers.

8. The Ninth Claim for Relief (§ 1983, malicious prosecution) is dismissed with prejudice as to Assistant City Attorney Reyes-Speer.

9. The Seventh Claim for Relief (§ 1983, Third Amendment) is dismissed with prejudice.

10. The Eleventh Claim for Relief (§ 1985(3)) is dismissed without prejudice.

11. The Twelfth Claim for Relief (§ 1986) is dismissed without prejudice.

12. The Seventeenth Claim for Relief (negligent infliction of emotional distress) is dismissed without prejudice.

13. The Nineteenth Claim for Relief (abuse of process) is dismissed without prejudice.

14. The Twenty-First Claim for Relief (respondeat superior) is dismissed with prejudice. However, the Plaintiffs may assert respondeat superior as a theory of liability at the proper time and upon the proper factual basis.

15. The claims for punitive damages against the City of Henderson and the City of Las Vegas under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 are dismissed with prejudice.

16. The claims for punitive damages for the state law claims against all defendants are dismissed with prejudice.
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca...en&as_sdt=2006
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    It was heard in the federal circuit and appears to entirely favor the police's inappropriate actions, without prejudice:

9. The Seventh Claim for Relief (§ 1983, Third Amendment) is dismissed with prejudice.
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca...en&as_sdt=2006
    ^%$# $#@# @#$% $$#@ #@#$

Here is more on the Intolerance Act or Quartering Acts which were directly reflected within both the Second and Third Amendments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartering_Acts

And just to note a few other points:

• The state militias would certainly fall under the confines of the Third Amendment.
    • The court noted that quartering is not applicable, regardless, if the duration is less than 24-hours; however, the context of quartering, is the requirement to provide quarters, including food, personal property, etc., nothing about a duration is stated therein.
    • It is the police themselves that consider themselves as being para-military, referring to citizens as civilians, and that award themselves regalia and other shiny baubles, along with militant titles.
    • Regarding the Quartering Acts, British soldiers served the King in the capacity as local law enforcement personnel throughout the colonies--modern federal, state, municipal, and county law enforcement agencies are a more recent concept.

Original case from 2013: http://www.scribd.com/doc/151769636/...t-al-Complaint
    Last edited by Weston White; 04-17-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    When was the last time a Judge actually ruled in favor of the Bill of Rights?
    The only reason at all to have judges say anything about the Bill of Rights, is to have them find ways around them.

Despite all appearances, individual people aren't stupid. They can read and comprehend one-sentence thoughts.
    You only need a judge when you want to generate reams of text that show how that one sentence means the exact opposite of what it actually says.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast