Thread: Ukraine Guardsmen Open Fire on Crowd

Ukraine Guardsmen Open Fire on Crowd

Ukraine Guardsmen Open Fire on Crowd

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...crowd-23674112

Ukrainian national guardsmen have opened fire on a crowd outside a town hall in eastern Ukraine and an official for the region's insurgents says there are fatalities.

Read More
    And these are the guys US.gov wants to support? SMDH
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting use of language from ABC with the "pro Russian insurgents" propaganda. Anyhoo...

Add to this... 400 US mercenaries 'deployed on ground' in Ukraine military op

About 400 elite mercenaries from the notorious US private security firm Academi (formerly Blackwater) are taking part in the Ukrainian military operation against anti-government protesters in southeastern regions of the country, German media reports.

The Bild am Sonntag newspaper, citing a source in intelligence circles, wrote Sunday that Academi employees are involved in the Kiev military crackdown on pro-autonomy activists in near the town of Slavyansk, in the Donetsk region.

On April 29, German Intelligence Service (BND) informed Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government about the mercenaries’ participation in the operation, the paper said, RIA Novosti reported. It is not clear who commands the private military contractors and pays for their services, however.

In March, media reports appeared suggesting that the coup-imposed government in Kiev could have employed up to 300 mercenaries.That was before the new government launched a military operation against anti-Maidan activists, or “terrorists” as Kiev put it, in southeast Ukraine.

At the time, the Russian Foreign Ministry said then that reports claiming Kiev was planning to involve “involve staff from foreign military companies to ‘ensure the rule of law,’” could suggest that it wanted “to suppress civil protests and dissatisfaction.”

In particular, Greystone Limited, which is currently registered in Barbados and is a part of Academi Corporation, is a candidate for such a gendarme role. It is a similar and probably an affiliated structure of the Blackwater private army, whose staff have been accused of cruel and systematic violations of human rights in various trouble spots on many occasions.

Among the candidates for the role of gendarme is the Barbados-registered company Greystone Limited, which is integrated with the Academi corporation,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement. “It is an analogue, and, probably and affiliated body of the Blackwater private army, whose employees have repeatedly been accused of committing grievous and systematic human rights abuses in different troubled regions.”

Allegations increased further after unverified videos appeared on YouTube of unidentified armed men in the streets of Donetsk, the capital of the country’s industrial and coalmining region. In those videos, onlookers can be heard shouting “Mercenaries!”“Blackwater!,” and “Who are you going to shoot at?
    Continued - 400 US mercenaries 'deployed on ground' in Ukraine military op

Based on this I'd expect a bit more reporting from western media now. This thing from ABC is significant in that regard because nobody has been saying anything about it from mainstream until now.

To add to your report, there is also this from the ground...

Fatality, injured in Ukraine's Krasnoarmeysk as national guards open fire - witnesses...

One civilian was killed and several others wounded in eastern Ukraine as the National Guard started shooting at protesters and voters, who had gathered around a seized polling station in Krasnoarmeysk, self-defense forces and witnesses said.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

The National Guard entered the city in the Donetsk region earlier on Sunday and occupied several polling stations, the city council building among them. First reports on shooting appeared on Twitter.

I just saw the National Guard kill one and injure several others,” Russian journalist Ilya Azar wrote in his micro-blog. Later this was confirmed by Denis Pushilin, the co-chairman of the self-proclaimed People's Donetsk Republic.

Krasnoarmeysk, together with many other places in southeastern Ukraine, has been conducting an autonomy referendum. Following the National Guard's interference, the voting was stopped. Four schools got seized by masked men; all the people had to be evacuated.

"They threatened us and said that they were sent by the Kiev authorities,"
    Sergey, a local resident, told RT.

By that time, over 47,000 people had cast their ballots, self-defense forces said.

"People were just standing there, unarmed, outside the city council seized by the Guard," Azar tweeted commenting on a photo of the dead young man:

Continued - Fatality, injured in Ukraine's Krasnoarmeysk as national guards open fire - witnesses
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-12-2014 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    And these are the guys US.gov wants to support? SMDH
    Gunny, we know it has been S.O.P. for the ptb to install and support some of the worst crimainals in history,

while seeking to topple and destabilize legitimate leaders around the world.

It will not always be so, it will not always be so

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Interesting use of language from ABC with the "pro Russian insurgents" propaganda.
    I caught that too.

I notice how they use words like youth, students, demonstrators, peaceful protestors, protestors, insurgents, terrorists, etc. to describe similar action depending upon the way they want to slant the story. Insurgent seems to be 1 notch less threatening than terrorist.

It's worrisome that the Bundy protestors were given the name terrorist.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I caught that too.

I notice how they use words like youth, students, demonstrators, peaceful protestors, protestors, insurgents, terrorists, etc. to describe similar action depending upon the way they want to slant the story. Insurgent seems to be 1 notch less threatening than terrorist.

It's worrisome that the Bundy protestors were given the name terrorist.
    Didn't see terrorist for Bundy supporters I saw "militant" used a lot.

Weren't the Coup leaders recruiting the Violent Thugs for the "National Guard"?

not the story I was looking for,, but related.
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/ukraine...ctions/5375419

This is some.
    https://medium.com/about-ukraine/79937aee8272
    http://theunhivedmind.com/wordpress3...ational-guard/
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    You didn't?

I did.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    Depends on the source I guess. FOX was kinder. Harry Reid and MSNBC threw around the T-word.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interestingly,, the Academi press release seem to be more focused on denying a connection to Blackwater.

http://academi.com/news_room/press_releases/88

I don't care if they are Blacwater, Academi, Xe,, or some other mercenary group.

Hired guns are just that,, Hired Guns. Suitable for nothing but fertilizer.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 05-11-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I forgot to say, thanks GunnyFreedom for posting this.

was surprised to see it so many pages back in New Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Interestingly,, the Academi press release seem to be more focused on denying a connection to Blackwater.
    As you already know, Blackwater took bad press from a hit gone wrong in Iraq, and renamed themselves XE, waited for the fire to die down and then renamed themselves Academi. I know you already know that but someone reading this may not. Academi now trying to deny a connection to Blackwater, while they are run by the same people and training out of the same property and picking up the same contracts, with a neon paper trail back to Blackwater is absurd and disgusting, and we will note that not even the 'liberal' media will pick up this glaring lie.

http://academi.com/news_room/press_releases/88

I don't care if they are Blacwater, Academi, Xe,, or some other mercenary group.

Hired guns are just that,, Hired Guns. Suitable for nothing but fertilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    As you already know, Blackwater took bad press from a hit gone wrong in Iraq, and renamed themselves XE, waited for the fire to die down and then renamed themselves Academi. I know you already know that but someone reading this may not. Academi now trying to deny a connection to Blackwater, while they are run by the same people and training out of the same property and picking up the same contracts, with a neon paper trail back to Blackwater is absurd and disgusting, and we will note that not even the 'liberal' media will pick up this glaring lie.
    Thanks. I didn't know they changed their name again after Xe. It's like a troll that's banned with 5 other sock puppets names to use. Except they specialize in killing VS just annoying people. Evil stuff going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizens ABC post
    ... It is not clear who commands the private military contractors and pays for their services, however.
    Let's see, ... we backed a loan of how much to Kiev? Lots on blood on lots of hands, over and over and over again.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Let's see, ... we backed a loan of how much to Kiev? Lots on blood on lots of hands, over and over and over again.
    Ah, yes. That old thing.

Thanks for reminding me. I was going to start a thread on it but never got around to it. It's particularly relevant here though. Still can't figure out the difference in a loan and aid.

For those who aren't up to speed in the area of "foreign policy" relative to current events...

US authorizes $1bn to Ukraine in loan guarantees

Washington granted Kiev authorities $1 billion in loan guarantees, which came into force on Friday. The loan comes amid Kiev’s punitive military operation on eastern Ukraine, so far resulting in dozens killed and injured among the civilian population.

The warranties and conditions of the $1 bn loan guarantees, that the US is giving acting through its Agency for International Development (USAID), are to be issued on Monday, according to the US Federal Register.

The loan guarantees will be in accord with the agreement between the US and Ukraine made on April 14. The loan will apply to sums borrowed from Friday and thirty days after, not exceeding the total of $1 billion in principal amount and is to be repaid by Ukraine with interest.

On May 7 Ukraine received its first emergency rescue money from the International Monetary Fund (IMF). The two-year program is to shell out over $17bn in aid to Ukraine's troubled economy. In total the international community has promised the coup-appointed authorities in Kiev $27bn.

The country gripped by riots has over $9 bn in debt, including the Ukraine’s gas debt to Russia, which hit $3.5 bn in May. Russian energy minister Aleksandr Novak said in April that Ukraine’s growing gas debt may lead to the failure of the country’s transit obligations and the reduction of gas supplies to southeastern Europe.

In December Russia provided a $15 billion no-strings-attached loan to former Kiev authorities headed by President Victor Yanukovich. However following the coup in Kiev in February Moscow rescinded the offer.

Ukraine receives first $3.2 billion from IMF

Ukraine, a nation on the brink of civil war and bankruptcy, has received its first emergency rescue money from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the National Bank of Ukraine reported.

The two-year program will shell out over $17bn in aid to Ukraine's troubled economy, and was approved by the IMF's 24-member board at the end of April.
    National Bank Chairman Stepan Kubiv said that a portion of the first loan will be used to boost gold and currency reserves and help stabilize the fast-falling hryvnia.

Foreign currency reserves have been wiped out as the Bank spends money to prop up the weak currency, and have reached a critically low level of under $12 billion.

Ukraine has over $9 billion in debt it needs to address immediately. In total, $27 billion in international aid has been pledged to Ukraine, but this is the first monetary promise the West has delivered on. In December, Russia provided Ukraine with a $15 billion no-strings-attached loan. Ukraine only received $3 billion after Moscow rescinded the offer once protests broke out and a coup-appointed government was installed in Kiev.

The IMF money comes with stringent terms, requiring various cuts and economic reforms. In the case of Ukraine, the requirements include a 50 percent increase in the price of household gas, as well as a quick pension reform and lower government spending.

The money came on the same day that Naftogaz, Ukraine’s money-hemorrhaging national oil and gas company, is due to start paying off its $3.5 billion debt to Russia’s Gazprom, or risk the introduction of a pre-payment system.

It has been previously reported that Naftogaz may receive $2.16 billion of the first tranche of IMF money to pay off its massive debt to Gazprom, according to documents prepared by the IMF. If the money isn't used to pay Gazprom, Russia's gas company has the right to ask for advanced payments.

Yury Prodan, Ukraine's Energy Minister, has hailed the IMF loan as a needed reprieve for state-owned Naftogaz, as well as a way to ”switch on” the country’s dilapidated economy.

Nuland has tough time justifying US involvement in Ukraine

For the record, Nuland submitted and read out a statement where she said that US policy towards Ukraine is based on four pillars.

First of all Washington is offering “financial, technical and non-lethal security assistance” for the May 25 election.

In addition to $92 million in FY2013 State/USAID funds and $86 million in FY2014 funds, we are providing an additional $50 million in technical assistance and the $1 billion dollar loan guarantee under the authority passed by Congress on April 1st.”

The US electoral assistance includes “$11 million for non-partisan election activities, including efforts to support voter education and civic participation” as well as participation as observers in the upcoming poll.

In addition to the 100 OSCE observers we are sending, the United States is supporting 255 long-term observers and over 3300 short-term observers,” Nuland said.
    Financial aid also involves “$18 million in non-lethal security assistance to the Ukrainian armed forces and State Border Guard Service to enable them to fulfill their core missions.”

I'd still like to know what the status of Ukrain's gold reserves are after all of this considering the repatriation of gold that is being demanded by some countries. Know what I mean?
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-12-2014 at 03:25 AM.

Referendum results in Donetsk region show landslide support for self-rule

Results of referendum have been announced in Donetsk and they show the majority of voters supported self-rule, despite intensified military operation by Kiev which resulted in several deaths. In Lugansk region ballots are still being counted.

Almost 90 percent of voters in Donetsk Region have endorsed political independence from Kiev, the head of the Central Election Commission of the self-proclaimed ‘Donetsk People’s Republic’, Roman Lyagin, announced.

Counting the ballots proved to be surprisingly easy – the number of people who said ‘no’ was relatively small and there appeared to be only a tiny proportion of spoiled ballots, so we managed to carry out counting quite fast. The figures are as follows: 89.07 percent voted ‘for’, 10.19 percent voted ‘against’ and 0.74 percent of ballots were rendered ineligible,” Lyagin told journalists.

In Lugansk region preliminary results have not yet been announced, but the leader of the local “people’s front” said only around 5% voted against the “Act of state self-rule of the Lugansk People's Republic.”

Despite fears that amid Kiev’s intensified military crackdown – which killed at least two civilians on referendum day – the turnout will be low, in both of the region it was unexpectedly high. In Donetsk it reached 74.87%, while in Lugansk the central election commission says 81% of eligible voters came to the polling stations.

With such a huge turnout, the referendums have been recognized as valid by both election commissions.

Kiev however, calling the regional voting on self-determination illegal, sent its recently formed paramilitary forces in an apparent move to disrupt referendums.
    As armored military vehicles blocked passage to polling stations, voting in four towns across Lugansk region was disrupted. In the Donetsk town of Krasnoarmeysk, the National Guard shot at a crowd and killed two civilians who were protesting their attempt to seize a polling station.

The people’s governor of the Donetsk Region, Pavel Gubarev, told journalists on Sunday that Donetsk and Lugansk will emerge as new legal entities as a result of the referendum.

The referendum for us is about creating a new state paradigm,” he said.

Vyacheslav Ponomaryov, the people’s mayor of Slavyansk, Donetsk Region, where some of the heaviest fighting between Ukrainian troops and self-defense activists took place, said the next step following the referendum would be developing closer ties with Russia.

"Russia is our brotherly nation, [we hope for] full interaction with Russia, including entering the Customs Union,” Ponomaryov said.

Moscow hopes the results of the referendums in eastern Ukraine will instigate dialogue between Kiev and the regions that voted in favor of self-rule, according to the Kremlin’s press-service.

Moscow respects the will of the people in Donetsk and Lugansk and hopes that the practical realization of the outcome of the referendums will be carried out in a civilized manner, without resorting to violence, through dialogue between representatives of Kiev, Donetsk and Lugansk,” the statement reads.

The Kremlin says it welcomes all mediation efforts, including those by the OSCE.

Spokesman for the president, Dmitry Peskov earlier explained that Putin “did not urge, but recommended” that the votes be postponed. However, the spokesman says that “even considering the authority of the Russian president,” it was difficult for Donetsk and Lugansk authorities to follow his recommendation amid Kiev's ongoing military crackdown.

Both the EU and US have dismissed the ballots in eastern Ukraine as illegal.
    Yays versus the nays...

Sure do seem to be an awful lot of these so called "Insurgents" that we're hearing about from corporate media and other U.S. spokespersons, huh? They do look like an unruly bunch of terrorists. What is it, 25% of Ukraine's total production comes from this area?

Anyhoo... in the middle of these so called terrorist actions another Village near Slavyansk attacked with artillery fire, casualties reported

The explosions are at a frequency of once a minute.

The attack is being conducted from the TV tower on Karachun Mountain.

The National Guard is firing at security checkpoints, but reports emerged of mortar shells landing in local residents’ homes.

The village of Andreevka near the Ukrainian city of Slavyansk has come under artillery fire, self-defense forces say. Casualties have been reported in the attack.

The village of Andreevka, over 100km from Slavyansk, has come under artillery fire from Kiev forces...

Aside... Kiev intensifies military op in Eastern Ukraine LIVE UPDATES

Recent...

As Ukraine's Donetsk and Lugansk regions hold pro-autonomy referendums, the coup-imposed authorities in Kiev are continuing their crackdown on anti-government activists. The unrest in the country's southeast has already resulted in dozens of deaths.

Monday, May 12

08:50 GMT:
    An unknown armed group took control of an oil depot in the Lugansk Region on Sunday, according to the press service of the region’s interior ministry. “An unknown armed group of around 15 people, who were dressed in camouflage, took the oil depot (in the city of Rovenki).” The seizure took place at 13.40 (local time) on Sunday. Details of what exactly happened are still not clear and are currently being clarified.

08:20 GMT:
    Moscow hopes the results of the referendums in eastern Ukraine will instigate dialogue between Kiev and the regions that voted in favor of self-rule, according to the Kremlin’s press-service.

Moscow respects the will of the people in Donetsk and Lugansk and hopes that the practical realization of the outcome of the referendums will be carried out in a civilized manner, without resorting to violence, through dialogue between representatives of Kiev, Donetsk and Lugansk,” the statement reads.

The Kremlin says it welcomes all mediation efforts, including those by the OSCE.

08:13 GMT:
    Two more people have died over the weekend following the violent clashes and unrest in Odessa on May 2, which has brought the death toll up to 48, as reports RIA Novosti. 43 people remain in hospital, two of which are in a critical condition according Odessa.ua, who made the announcement on Monday.

08:03 GMT:
    The head of the Donetsk Region’s administration, Sergey Taruta has praised the decision by Metinvest, which is owned by local oligarch Rinat Akhmetov, to set up a combined defense force with the police to help protect the citizens of Mariupol. “400 citizens along with 200 people from the police force will really help because less there will be less people with guns on the street,” Taruta stated according to Interfax. He added that the local population in the East of Ukraine were scared of armed people and wanted to restore order to their cities. Metinvest had stated they wanted to bring an end to armed operations in the East of Ukraine and remove military hardware and troops from civilian areas.

07:48 GMT:
    British Foreign Secretary William Hague says eastern Ukraine's referendum votes have "zero credibility in the eyes of the world," Sky News reports.

06:01 GMT:
    Ukrainian troops have begun shelling Slavyansk, Donetsk Region, a RIA Novosti correspondent on the ground reports.

Blasts of artillery ammunition can be heard at one of the checkpoints on the outskirts of town.

05:28 GMT:
    The overwhelming majority of voters in Donetsk Region have endorsed political independence from Kiev, the head of the Central Election Commission of the self-proclaimed ‘Donetsk People’s Republic’, Roman Lyagin, announced.

Counting the ballots proved to be surprisingly easy – the number of people who said ‘no’ was relatively small and there appeared to be only a tiny proportion of spoiled ballots, so we managed to carry out counting quite fast. The figures are as follows: 86.7 percent voted ‘for’, 10.19 percent voted ‘against’ and 0.74 percent of ballots were rendered ineligible,” Lyagin told journalists.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-12-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Ukraine is turning this into Chechnya. It will never end. When you violently oppress the people there will be a day of reckoning.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Spending boatloads of money and vast amount of government resources... take your pick below

2013 Nuland: US has spent $5 Billion on Ukraine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaR1_an9CnQ

2014 Nuland: More US $1 Billion to Ukraine April

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDSSksfHG98

Activists in Eastern Ukraine Sound Alarm on CIA-led Death Squads

CIA Front, USAID, “Spreading Democracy”, Gearing Up in Ukraine – Suharto II?

http://www.globalresearch.ca/cia-fro...rto-ii/5381174

Does the CIA plan a Syrian style Terror War in Ukraine?

http://journal-neo.org/2014/04/16/do...ar-in-ukraine/

Ukraine was coup d'état by the CIA – David Shayler

http://voiceofrussia.com/2014_03_04/...-Shayler-7088/

CIA World Factbook Europe: Ukraine

1998 Cold War Allies: The Origins of CIA's Relationship with Ukrainian Nationalists

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 05-12-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Was this a surprise? so are they going to Boo at Russia again for the staged EuroVision Nonsense come by next year?

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

I think this is the tank that got away. It did fire a shot on the way through though, hitting a home.

They did actually end up capturing one of these tanks and I think there is a video out there some place.

Why this stuff isn't discussed in context with foreign policy is very troubling and certainly doesn't leave much to be desired in official debate regarding foreign policy in the future once all of that starts. It's certainly not general politics in any way.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-12-2014 at 06:16 PM.