Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California gas prices to soar this week

Exclamation California gas prices to soar this week

California gas prices to soar this week

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-...soar-this-week

If you're one of those California drivers who already resents having to pay a lot more to fill your tank than most Americans, you're going to be sputtering mad this week.

The price at the pump has already begun creeping up in recent days, and it may soar this week as much as 30 cents a gallon in the Bay Area and 50 cents in Southern California as refinery issues and a lack of imported crude oil slam the Golden State.

That means the average cost of regular gas will soon exceed $4 a gallon in the Southland and get uncomfortably close to that mark in the Bay Area.

GasBuddy.com analysts say the price hikes are occurring because of "an extraordinary convergence of fuel supply problems" that have caused "severe spikes with no immediate relief in sight."

Other analysts blame California's special blend of less-polluting gasoline, as well as problems at three refineries in the southern part of the state.

The $2.76 average across the country is a whopping 83 cents less than in California. Usually the gap is in the 20-30-cent range.

The U.S. Department of Energy says the world remains "massively oversupplied." American drivers paid the lowest price for July 4 travel since 2010, saving 90 cents a gallon.

California drivers have also enjoyed lower gas prices than in years past. But state supplies are now at a 12-month low, and federal energy officials say California refiners had to use 1.1 million barrels from their storage tanks. It's so bleak that imports to the West Coast sank to zero last week after averaging more than 100,000 barrels a day over the previous four weeks.

Regular gas in Los Angeles hit $3.79 on average Saturday, up 24 cents since Thursday. Oakland stood at $3.48, 9 cents more than Thursday. And San Jose's $3.46 average was 10 cents more than 48 hours earlier. The state average of $3.59 jumped 16 cents during the two-day period.

"Holy cow -- I'm scratching my head," David Hackett, president of Stillwater Associates in Irvine told Bloomberg News. "Gasoline inventories are on the low side, but we're not at the bottom of the tank yet."

Some energy analysts are hoping that the increase may last only a week or so. But the less optimistic ones say all bets are off.

Patrick DeHaan, a senior petroleum analyst at Gas Buddy, took the unusual step of urging state drivers not to rush out to fill up.

"Filling up unnecessarily may further strain gasoline supply and exacerbate the situation," he warned. "We have no gasoline as of Monday heading for the California coast. It's a dire situation."

Problems with California's crude oil supplies began before Memorial Day when a series of refinery problems in the Midwest led to more oil being sent there than here. Without the ability to get relief from other U.S. regions because California doesn't have major pipelines, the West Coast has been forced to wait for large vessels from around the world to bring oil here.

The price changes at California's pumps are getting noticed.

"What's the deal?" asked Eric Itani of San Jose, who has seen his favorite Chevron station boost prices 8 cents in recent days. 'We're conserving on electricity, we're conserving on water -- and now I need to conserve on my gas usage.

"I am aware that gas prices are much lower compared to one and two years ago, but I am as greedy as the oil companies."

Bill Casilla forked over $3.69 a gallon at the ARCO station on International Boulevard and 98th Avenue in Oakland on Friday. That meant his pickup cost $15 more to fill up than the last time.

"Too much," the landscaper said. "I just pray it stays where it is because I spend a lot for gas."

For Bay Area residents, it could be worse.

Tom Robinson, the president of the Rotten Robbie stations, said he's having no problems getting fuel, but prices have been jumping up and the Southern California market appears to be particularly turbulent.

"I think SoCal spot prices are 70 cents higher than NorCal prices," he said. "Crazy."

Follow Gary Richards at Twitter.com/mrroadshow or Facebook.com/mr.roadshow or contact him at mrroadshow@mercurynews.com or 408-920-5335.

gas prices RISING

City Thursday SaturdayLos Angeles $3.55* $3.79
    San Diego $3.54 $3.75
    San Francisco $3.52 $3.58
    Bakersfield $3.47 $3.57
    Vallejo $3.41 $3.50
    Oakland $3.39 $3.48
    San Jose $3.36 $3.46
    Santa Cruz $3.32 $3.38

California $3.43 $3.59
    United States $2.76 $2.76
    * Average price for a gallon of regular gas.

AAA
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As a resident of California, I welcome this news. The higher oil prices go, the bigger the market for electric car goes. I bet the executives at Tesla LOVE this news. Gas engines are an outdated technology that should have died years ago if it weren't for oil company lobbyists.

Sucks ...we get our fuel from the same refineries.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-31-2016 at 08:54 PM.

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    As a resident of California, I welcome this news. The higher oil prices go, the bigger the market for electric car goes. I bet the executives at Tesla LOVE this news. Gas engines are an outdated technology that should have died years ago if it weren't for oil company lobbyists.
    Do explain. How did the oil company lobbyist make gas engines appear better suited for travel than other technologies?

The good news is more Californians stay in California....

Yeah, like every working stiff can afford a $106,000 electric car plaything, built by a crony capitalist/tax leech.

Electric cars were invented 178 years ago, long before internal combustion or steam powered cars were.

There were abandoned as useless for practical purposes before 1900 and they are still worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yeah, like every working stiff can afford a $106,000 electric car plaything, built by a crony capitalist/tax leech.

Electric cars were invented 178 years ago, long before internal combustion or steam powered cars were.

There were abandoned as useless for practical purposes before 1900 and they are still worthless.
    But, but lithium ion technology is green.......

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/ho...ironment-know/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The good news is more Californians stay in California....
    Don't worry, more will be coming your way.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    We're a little too crass for their left coast sensibilities out here in the Ozarks...

Besides we have ticks/chiggers and copperheads.......

California has been screwed by a local refinery oligopoly for decades. They do this whenever they want some extra cash.

At least there are not gas lines (yet). They don't have the gall to completely shut it down, like Enron did when they turned off the electricity.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

We're a little too crass for their left coast sensibilities out here in the Ozarks...

Besides we have ticks/chiggers and copperheads.......
    Asphalt will help to alleviate the native pest problem. And Californians can bring along more urban/suburban friendly critters, like black widow spiders. We have rattlesnakes, but they (usually) don't stow away in the moving vans.

California has been screwed by a local refinery oligopoly for decades. They do this whenever they want some extra cash.

At least there are not gas lines (yet). They don't have the gall to completely shut it down, like Enron did when they turned off the electricity.
    Hah hah, I had completely forgotten about that.

Hah hah, I had completely forgotten about that.
    The same scamming bastards that were working on carbon credit exchanges and related laws with Goldman Sachs. Climate change!

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Do explain. How did the oil company lobbyist make gas engines appear better suited for travel than other technologies?
    The oil industry, through its major lobby group the Western States Petroleum Association, is brought to task for financing campaigns to kill utility efforts to build public car charging stations. Through astroturfing groups like "Californians Against Utility Abuse" they posed as consumers instead of the industry interests they actually represented. Mobil and other oil companies are also shown to be advertising directly against electric cars in national publications, even when electric cars seem little to do with their core business. At the end of the film Chevron bought patents and controlling interest in Ovonics, the advanced battery company featured in the film ostensibly to prevent modern NiMH batteries from being used in non-hybrid electric cars. The documentary also refers to manipulation of oil prices by overseas suppliers in 1980s as an example of the industry working to kill competition and keep customers from moving toward alternatives to oil.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Ki...lectric_Car%3F

I'm sorry you hate technology but there those of us who want to get off the Middle East oil teet. And by the way, Tesla is coming out with a more affordable model of us regular working "stiff."

$35,000 Tesla Model 3 coming in 2017

Tesla Motors confirmed late on Tuesday that its rumored third-generation car will be called, appropriately enough, the Model 3. The car will be about 20 percent smaller than the Model S, and cost roughly half as much. Tesla is aiming for the $35,000 range with the Model 3, which aims to take on the BMW 3 Series when deliveries begin in 2017.
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-popmech-synd/

AND that's just for Teslas. There are other car companies out there that are making electric cars for a far cheaper price. Do you want me to look that up for you as well?

And if you think Tesla is the ONLY car company that is a crony capitalist/tax leech. I have some tough news for you:

Final tally: Taxpayers auto bailout loss $9.3B

The government said it recovered $70.42 billion of the $79.68 billion it gave to General Motors, Chrysler, Ally Financial, Chrysler Financial and automotive suppliers through the federal Auto Industry Financing Program.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...sler/21061251/

I believe Tesla got somewhere like 465 million in government aid. It's still a bad thing but if you are going to be angry, think about 79 billion vs. 465 million and direct your anger there.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But, but lithium ion technology is green.......

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/ho...ironment-know/
    I could give a rat's ass about "green" technology. I want off the MID-East Oil nipple.

I hate stupid technology that does not work, pushed on the market by stupid people with agendas and stupid government, with my tax dollars.

If a reliable electric car, with quick re-charging, that was affordable, and in reality more "green" than the current ones available, the market would respond.

But they are not. Currently they do not have adequate range, take an unreasonable amount of time to re-charge, are less "green" overall, once manufacturing is taken into account, and you still have to get your power from somewhere.

What do you suppose would happen to the electric grid if 350 million cars got plugged in overnight?

Electric cars were failed technology at the turn of the last century, and have not improved, on those key points, much with age.

I'm sorry you hate technology but there those of us who want to get off the Middle East oil teet. And by the way, Tesla is coming out with a more affordable model of us regular working "stiff."

$35,000 Tesla Model 3 coming in 2017

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-popmech-synd/

AND that's just for Teslas. There are other car companies out there that are making electric cars for a far cheaper price. Do you want me to look that up for you as well?

And if you think Tesla is the ONLY car company that is a crony capitalist/tax leech. I have some tough news for you:

Final tally: Taxpayers auto bailout loss $9.3B

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...sler/21061251/

I believe Tesla got somewhere like 465 million in government aid. It's still a bad thing but if you are going to be angry, think about 79 billion vs. 465 million and direct your anger there.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-12-2015 at 02:13 PM.

I could give a rat's ass about "green" technology. I want off the MID-East Oil nipple.
    That's already going to happen.

I hate stupid technology that does not work, pushed on the market by stupid people with agendas and stupid government, with my tax dollars.

If a reliable electric car, with quick re-charging, that was affordable, and in reality more "green" than the current ones available, the market would respond.

But they are not. Currently they do not have adequate range, take an unreasonable amount of time to re-charge, are less "green" overall, once manufacturing is taken into account, and you still have to get your power from somewhere.

What do you suppose would happen to the electric grid if 350 million cars got plugged in overnight?

Electric cars were failed technology at the turn of the last century, and have not improved, on those key points, much with age.
    Tesla has a home battery for that!

Tesla's new bet: A home battery to slash energy costs

There's no doubt that Elon Musk's announcement that Tesla Motors will enter the energy-storage market last week excited Tesla fanboys and a good bit of the stock market. But are the economics compelling enough that consumers should get excited, too?

That's a less compelling proposition. In the same way that payback periods for hybrid cars and rooftop solar slowed early adoption, Tesla's bold utility-market move will take some time to prove its worth when it comes to your electricity bill.

Already enthusiasm for the product has been keen. Yesterday Musk announced that there had been 38,000 reservations for the power unit in California, a sellout into next year, but he also conceded that the system currently makes little economic sense for most utility customers in the U.S.
    http://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/07/tesla...rgy-costs.html

And the market HAS responded to Tesla.

Tesla Model S Sets All-Time Sales Record In U.S. In September

Tesla has a home battery for that!

Tesla's new bet: A home battery to slash energy costs

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/07/tesla...rgy-costs.html

And the market HAS responded to Tesla.

Tesla Model S Sets All-Time Sales Record In U.S. In September
    Interesting stuff. You might want to start a thread in the Freedom Living sub-forum.

I am no fan of Elon Musk.

Our Muskian and Google-ized Future

by eric • July 8, 2015 • 63 Comments

http://ericpetersautos.com/2015/07/0...e-ized-future/

No sane person “hates” – as I have been accused of “hating”- electric cars or self-driving cars or air bags or any other technology or device. Hating them is as irrational as hating guns. They’re all morally neutral.

Tools.

What irks is being force-fed electric cars, self-driving cars – and so on.

It never seems to be enough that a new device or technology is merely available. Put on the market by those who designed and built it – and then left to succeed or fail on the merits of the thing.

It’s always a totalitarian push that everyone will have “x” – want it or not.

Self-driving cars will follow this pattern.

But there will be a big difference this time.

Once they transition from futuristic technology to everyday viability – and we’re this close to that unhappy moment – proposals will be warbled (then laws enacted) restricting and ultimately forbidding the operation of non-automated cars on the government’s roads.

Remember: Driving is a privilege (as they see it). Not a right.

Elon Musk – the billionaire crony capitalist who loves the idea of directing the flow of history using coercion rather than consent – recently let the self-driving cat out of the bag. It will be done Because Safety. Here is the relevant quote:

“It’s too dangerous,” said Musk. “You can’t have a person driving a two-ton death machine.”

People, in other words, cannot be trusted to behave responsibly on their own. They must be presumed irresponsible – incompetent. All of them. Every last one of us. Premise accepted – which Musk and his fellow coercive utopians will insist upon – and the next step is not only obvious but inevitable.

Within ten years, perhaps sooner, not one of us will be allowed to operate a “two ton death machine.” This will be forbidden. Not initially. But give them time.

Cars that do not drive themselves will first be vilified as unsafe, a threat to the children. This is already happening. Musk says the evidence is “overwhelming” that cars driven by us rather than by him (via computer proxy) are horribly dangerous.

Those who “cling” to them will be rhetorically tarred and feathered.

Within a very short time – as the autonomous car pupates into a reality – the push to retire cars we’re allowed to drive ourselves (remember, government roads we’re privileged to use) will become a shove. It will begin with nudges, such as restricted lanes. Autonomous Cars Only. Just as was done – and is still being done – to encourage the use of hybrid and electric vehicles.

These will be expanded.

From one lane to all of them. The highways will be first. Secondary roads a few years afterward. Think I’m exaggerating? Ask Musk.

Or, ask Google.

Chris Urmson – Google’s director of self-driving cars (yes, they have an app for that – and so much more) told an audience at an auto industry event in January that he did not believe there was any regulatory obstacle for the introduction of self-driving cars, provided they met all the federal government’s crash-test and safety standards.

2017 Cadillacs will offer a “supercruise” self-driving feature that will turn drivers into passengers.

Musk says all it will take to turn his fleet of electric Edsels into self-driving electric Edsels is a software tweak.

Self-driving semis are being trotted out on the highways of Nevada.

At the same time, financial “incentives” will be trotted out to encourage the accelerated retirement of “old fashioned” and “unsafe” cars that do not drive themselves. This could be done very effectively via insurance. Those who buy a Googlized or Musked car that drives itself will be rewarded with lower rates – Because Safety. Meanwhile, those who “cling” to their “old fashioned” cars that do not drive themselves will be forced (remember, insurance is mandatory) to pay ever-increasing premiums – also Because Safety.

These premiums will quickly balloon to exorbitant levels.

Most people will no longer be able to afford to pay the insurance, without which it is illegal to drive the car. Presto – your non-autonomous car becomes two tons of functionally useless steel and glass.

Whether you – as an individual – have ever filed a claim or had one filed against you being immaterial as regards these mafiosi-esque extortions.

Because – as Musk would be happy to tell you – the individual is immaterial.

The collective, on the other hand, is very material indeed. “people” – not you, just “people” – cannot be trusted to safely operate a “two ton death machine.” There are accidents. Children hurt. Not perhaps by you.

But that is irrelevant in the Muskian scheme of things to come.

What is material is the fact that some people get into accidents; that some people cannot be trusted to safely operate a “two ton death machine.” Those “some” will become the basis for laws that apply to all.

Those who don’t see it coming are fools. Because this is not new. It is merely the latest – logical – expansion of a principle already accepted by a majority of the population. And endorsed by the courts.

How else to explain TSA checkpoints, just for instance? Everyone is presumed a terrorist until proved otherwise. You want to fly? You will be required to submit. The difference – for now – being you may still opt out of flying and get where you want to go by driving.

Soon that option will be gone with the wind.

We will be required to accept passenger status – and pay for the privilege. Driving will cease to be.

We will be driven henceforth.

Because Safety.

Carpe diem. While you still can.

I thank the Motor Gods I arrived just in time to experience the freedom of driving myself where I want to go, when and how I’d like to go.

Without Elon Musk along for the ride.

That classic hard rock tune Red Barchetta echoes in my head. I pity the youth.

They will never know.

Interesting stuff. You might want to start a thread in the Freedom Living sub-forum.
    Pffft...I could get you the same thing as the Tesla box with four D-8 wet cells and power inverter.

For less than $1500.

Pffft...I could get you the same thing as the Tesla box with four D-8 wet cells and power inverter.

For less than $1500.
    I have a friend who does that.

The article said this though:

Tesla's system, which will become available this summer, is still about 50 percent cheaper than power-storage systems that have been on the market before, Duvall said. And for people who want the storage system as a way to provide emergency backup power—which is expected to be a small part of the demand—Tesla's units are cost-competitive, with backup generators that run on gasoline or natural gas.
    BS?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The highest gas prices is in Avalon is $7.04 regular!

Might not simulate with the local culture. Could turn into an Antifree State Project.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Might not simulate with the local culture. Could turn into an Antifree State Project.
    Most assuredly.....

Californian's should be asking how it is that South Carolina's average is $2.33? After throwing in the south carolina state gas tax, the price (including federal taxes) is $1.98. What accounts for the $1.40 premium to SC? My amateur opinion says its this in order of importance.

Requiring Premium Blends that cost quite a bit more and discourage outside refinery competition.
    State Taxes
    Possible logistical costs differences

Gas engines have proven to work for over 100 years, electric cars have not, it's a green scam to take away American jobs and give liberals excuses to regulate free market. Fossil fuels represent FREEDOM, alternatives represent FASCISM AND CRONYISM.

Be careful objecting to my point about gas engine's proven record, if you dare, you'll be giving bitcoin & paper money advocates ammo against gold. Why should we return to gold if it's not outdated? What argument is there for gold BUT the fact it's historically proven to work?

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Gas engines have proven to work for over 100 years, electric cars have not, it's a green scam to take away American jobs and give liberals excuses to regulate free market. Fossil fuels represent FREEDOM, alternatives represent FASCISM AND CRONYISM.

Be careful objecting to my point about gas engine's proven record, if you dare, you'll be giving bitcoin & paper money advocates ammo against gold. Why should we return to gold if it's not outdated? What argument is there for gold BUT the fact it's historically proven to work?
    Yeah and we were traveling around the world on boats and lands for over a thousand years until the plane came along. What is your point? Tesla has ALREADY proven that electric cars are part of the future.

I don't know what Bitcoin and gold have to do with this but if you are so anti-technology, what are you doing posting on this forum? You are using the internet which has only been around for less than 20 years? Do you write your mail by hand? Send off letters with pigeons?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast